• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Official Thread

Elios83

Nino said:
HAY GUYS I really want this game but I'm in PAL land, please tell me we got an early release as well.

It has been moved back to November 9 from November 14 but there's still to wait :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, I've played the last few levels with lock/strafe controls and am enjoying the game so much more. I can't believe I never messed with this control scheme with the past games. Feels like I've been missing out or something. The combat is so much more enjoyable now.

JB1981

dark10x said:
Wow, I've played the last few levels with lock/strafe controls and am enjoying the game so much more. I can't believe I never messed with this control scheme with the past games. Feels like I've been missing out or something. The combat is so much more enjoyable now.
Lock-strafe controls are the same as just holding down L2 during combat, right?

The Chef

patsu said:
I'm stucked.

On the Lombax's home planet where I need to find 6 components for the wreck...
I found 5 and have 1 more area to explore. It's the one where the opposite ledge is taller than where I'm standing, separated by a cliff. So I can't high jump there. I tried to climb the central tower and hover there. but it still won't work. What do I need to do to get there ?

There is another ledge that is similar but it's lower, so I can simply helijump there. This one seems too tall. I tried switching to thrust packs and the wings but they don't help too.

Hey man you might have missed it on the tutorial but I remember there was a ledge I needed to hold the crouch button down R2 and then hit jump to get up there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
Lock-strafe controls are the same as just holding down L2 during combat, right?
Not quite. Lock-strafe doesn't zoom in on the action.

Basically, while running around freely, you have control of the camera as if it were a third person shooter (like Gears or something). It still feels like a platformer, of course, but the actual combat becomes more enjoyable.

Thrakier

deepbrown said:
There IS aliasing in the game...it's not running at 16xAA. It's 4xAA with some kind of smoothing, or the way they shade their characters, colours used to lower the visibility of AA. It's in the engine...it looks (the demo) extrememly smooth, yet sharp here. Running in 720p on 720p Samsung....try it on one of them, because it looks amazing.

I tested it via scart rgb on a tube-tv now and the jaggies are there at exact the same places. not as visible because the picture is less sharp and detailed, but it's clear that there are very little jaggies. very good visible on ratchets hat (the brown one from the demo) on the side, look closely where his ears are, you can see some jaggies. and there are other examples...

it's clear now for me at last that not my tv is the fault but the useres who are posting things like "oh it's perfect antialiased i can see not one jaggie!!111". the game has jaggies which are visibles, that's it. it's not that bad so I'll enjoy it anyway.

btw, your 720p tv has to scale too because because the resolution is 768 and not 720 and it doesn't matter how much it has to scale, what matters is that it HAS to scale and it's easier to scale from 720 to 1080 than from 720 to 768, just look at the table: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_ready#Qualit.C3.A4t

the scaler is the important thing, not if it has to scale to 1080p oder 720p. and the samsung does not have the best, but it's still good.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:

Basically, while running around freely, you have control of the camera as if it were a third person shooter (like Gears or something). It still feels like a platformer, of course, but the actual combat becomes more enjoyable.

Hmm, yeah I've just held L2 the whole game. Guess I will try that when bolt hunting.

Pimpwerx

dark10x said:

I ran through most of the first level using each control scheme and found the Third Person controls better for me b/c of the platforming. I couldn't do the platforming the same with the Lock-Strafe controls, and I'm a little stubborn. I wonder what the consensus is in this thread. PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
I ran through most of the first level using each control scheme and found the Third Person controls better for me b/c of the platforming. I couldn't do the platforming the same with the Lock-Strafe controls, and I'm a little stubborn. I wonder what the consensus is in this thread. PEACE.

Isn't Lock-Strafe identical to the normal controls as long as you don't have your gun out?

I don't even remember, I switched to LS immediately.

Bebpo

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Isn't Lock-Strafe identical to the normal controls as long as you don't have your gun out?

I don't even remember, I switched to LS immediately.

When don't you have your gun out?

There are tons of sections with jumps and action mixed together.

Big-E

j-wood said:
Where and what are the golden bolts used for?

They are located throughout the levels. Some have only one, others have more. You can check to see how many bolts are on a planet just by scrolling the various planets when you attempt to travel with your ship. Bolts are used to buy various skins for the game.

Big-E

AltogetherAndrews said:
So does every planet have a piece of the holoplans?

I would like to know this as well. I am just past the third space ship level and have found just over half of them.

JB1981

I prefer 3rd-person, better control of the camera and more options on the fly.

Also, this game is staggering in its variety

methane47 said:
Soooooo has the TV spot released as yet?

I just saw it on G4. It's a fully CGI commercial with Ratchet and Clank fighting the drophyd cronies with the Ramones' version of What A Wonderful World playing in the background.

Bebpo said:
When don't you have your gun out?

There are tons of sections with jumps and action mixed together.

Lock-Strafe makes it much easier to manage the platforming/action sections because you can jump with L1 (or X) and shoot with R1 (or O) while having free reign to look around without having to hold down an additional button. The other advantage is that you do the sideways jump by default when moving left and right.

After messing around with both schemes, there is absolutely no downside to Lock-Strafe controls. The only people I can see who wouldn't like it are those who have somehow still not managed to wrap their heads around standard FPS controls.

Standard users....try Lock-Strafe for a level or two and please explain to me why the standard controls are better.

Snah

Banned
distantmantra said:
I just saw it on G4. It's a fully CGI commercial with Ratchet and Clank fighting the drophyd cronies with the Ramones' version of What A Wonderful World playing in the background.

lame. why not show real time footage of the game?

Snah said:
lame. why not show real time footage of the game?

I don't know. I was hoping it would be like the old live action commercials, with the guys trying out the new weapons.

The commercial also mentions that the PS3 is "now starting at $399."

F-Pina

distantmantra said:

I can't find it, link?

dralla

Big-E said:
I would like to know this as well. I am just past the third space ship level and have found just over half of them.

You can see which planet has one on the Planet select screen. You'll see an icon next to the Gold Bolt count on the bottom

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
iapetus said:
Any particular reason?
Nah, I don't have a creditcard and I just rather buy games in stores if the wait is not longer than a month or so. But no, nothing special.

steve

Banned
jakster4u said:
I'm just wondering if you have never played any of the other games, because their all this good, but ToD has some really nice graphics.
Yup, I've played them all. This one just feels like the earlier versions, refined to the Nth degree.

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished it. Game was really good though the final boss was kinda annoying. Once you run out of rockets, alpha disrupters, fusion grenades, swarmers, predator launchers, you do so little damage you can't even tell his life bar is going down. Thank god for the groovitron and mega leech bombs.

Very good length. I got about 20 gold screws and maybe half the maps. Going to go back and get the rest of the screws because some of the platforming involved to get them is quite fun and I'll faq up the missing map pieces since they don't show up on the radar.

I liked almost all the weapons and felt each had a good time to use them. The only ones I thought were out of place were the
claws
because going physical seems like a bad idea with everyone shooting out weapon shots. I thought the most useful weapon was the swarmer, followed by rockets. The standard gun was useless for the 2nd half of the game and even the shotgun became useless about 3/4ths through. The plasma beasts were awesome for the first half, but did not do enough damage to use them in the last 1/3rd or so. Older weapons like the standard gun/shotgun/plasma beasts should at the endgame get new upgrades that bring them up to the usefulness level of the newer weapons.

Loved the glider sections. Makes me want a Pilotwings Wii. The circuit board mini-game was good but I think it was overused. The
grav ball
was really fun but not used enough.

I think Hot Shots Golf 5 is still my PS3 GoTY, but this is pretty darn good 9/10ish material. If I liked this, should I play 1-4? Or just #3 since everyone says it's the best? I thought this was waaaaay better than the PSP game, but the grind rail sections were more challenging and fun in the PSP one.

Bebpo said:
Just finished it. Game was really good though the final boss was kinda annoying. Once you run out of rockets, alpha disrupters, fusion grenades, swarmers, predator launchers, you do so little damage you can't even tell his life bar is going down. Thank god for the groovitron and mega leech bombs.

Very good length. I got about 20 gold screws and maybe half the maps. Going to go back and get the rest of the screws because some of the platforming involved to get them is quite fun and I'll faq up the missing map pieces since they don't show up on the radar.

I liked almost all the weapons and felt each had a good time to use them. The only ones I thought were out of place were the
claws
because going physical seems like a bad idea with everyone shooting out weapon shots. I thought the most useful weapon was the swarmer, followed by rockets. The standard gun was useless for the 2nd half of the game and even the shotgun became useless about 3/4ths through. The plasma beasts were awesome for the first half, but did not do enough damage to use them in the last 1/3rd or so. Older weapons like the standard gun/shotgun/plasma beasts should at the endgame get new upgrades that bring them up to the usefulness level of the newer weapons.

Loved the glider sections. Makes me want a Pilotwings Wii. The circuit board mini-game was good but I think it was overused. The
grav ball

I think Hot Shots Golf 5 is still my PS3 GoTY, but this is pretty darn good 9/10ish material. If I liked this, should I play 1-4? Or just #3 since everyone says it's the best? I thought this was waaaaay better than the PSP game, but the grind rail sections were more challenging and fun in the PSP one.

Is
Reepor
the last level?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Bebpo said:

claws

grav ball

If you're not using the tornado launcher against bosses you are oh oh so wrong.

The Shard Reeper's
freeze ability
is also great against
certain nasty end game enemies

Bebpo said:
I saw your post, but I don't actually know the planet names offhand...

What's it look like?

It's the one right after
you fight the pirate leader and become the new captain.

Also, what are those stupid little flat things I pick up now and then? There was one right between the boss I just mentioned and the 'return to ship' teleporter. I thought they were holoplans, but my main screen still shows the holoplan for that level grayed out?

M3wThr33

Banned
Bebpo said:

claws

grav ball

Wait, what? You've only played Size Matters and Tools of Desturction?! You have NO appreciation for this! But it's hard to recommend the first now that you've had a taste of better.

Whoa, I just turned the game on and my TV started blinking white noise, had to restart the PS3. Has anyone had this happen? I took a picture before I shut it off.

Bebpo

Banned
jstevenson said:
If you're not using the tornado launcher against bosses you are oh oh so wrong.

The Shard Reeper's
freeze ability
is also great against
certain nasty end game enemies

Actually I did use the tornado and it helped a little but it's hard for me to aim. Either I get it right on the mark when I launch it out or it's useless because when I dodging and fighting I don't have time to think about tilting the sixaxis to reposition the tornado to the right spot.

M3wThr33 said:
Wait, what? You've only played Size Matters and Tools of Desturction?! You have NO appreciation for this! But it's hard to recommend the first now that you've had a taste of better.

I played the first planet or two or three of the first game when it came out but I found it slow and dull compared to the Jak series so I didn't stick with it. So I didn't even take notice of 2-4 when they came out.

Fady K

Ok, a little late in saying this but how the #@!$ did Gamespot score this a 7.5, im still trying to get to the point in the game where I feel its low 80s even. This is a 9+ game >_<

hafdogg

This is my first R&C game and I have not had this much fun with a platformer since Super Mario 64. I bought a Gamecube just to play Mario Sunshine and I hated it (could not stand the camera). Anyway...I have 1 gripe and I hope someone can tell me how to fix it:

When playing the spaceship level I could not set the control like I wanted it. The invert y axis works in the normal game, but I was forced to use normal look when playing the spaceship level. I could not hit the broad side of a barn. Is there a way to invert the controls like in the normal platforming areas?

Bebpo

Banned
I have a question about challenge mode:

So I bought an omega weapon and at first it seems identical in looks and abilities to the normal version (guess it does more damage). It starts at lvl.6. So as you level from 6-10 do you gain any more abilities? If it's just damage upgrades I doubt I'll bother with challenge mode, but if they get new attacks that'd make me want to see them all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bebpo said:
I have a question about challenge mode:

So I bought an omega weapon and at first it seems identical in looks and abilities to the normal version (guess it does more damage). It starts at lvl.6. So as you level from 6-10 do you gain any more abilities? If it's just damage upgrades I doubt I'll bother with challenge mode, but if they get new attacks that'd make me want to see them all.

Good question. Even if it's just dmg, I'm still playing through again. =D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Snah said:
jstevenson, since the commercial is on G4, can you upload it so all can see in decent quality?

Up to Sony to release that. I can say that it is made entirely from in-game assets.

We wanted to focus more on the characters and give them a chance to shine on screen.

Top Bottom