• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank |OT| The Game based on the Movie based on the Game

lt519

Platinum get. Took two and a half playthroughs just to get all the experience to level all the guns and get the full health trophy.

Found a boring but guaranteed spot for infinite enemies on my second playthroughs.

On the island level, where you get the 02 mask. When you are guiding the guy through to meet the mechanic that gives your ship upgrades and when you reach the last bridge you have to create for him, if you leave enemies alive before the bridge and skip ahead the fish will spawn constantly after the bridge. Was a gold mine for bolts, cards, 20x multiplier, and raritarium. Not super effective for leveling weapons though. I just sat there with the sheepinator spinning circles and in a few minutes was at 20x and a few more minutes had over a mil bolts.

Qwark

Just beat challenge mode and tried to Groovitron everything, no trophy. Are there any easy to miss enemies that I might've forgotten that I can just go back to get?

I can't really think of any easily missed enemies that respawn, most of those do not respawn unfortunately. My trophy was glitched, I had to go through it again a third time and I finally got it when I used the groovitron on the final boss, even though I definitely used it on him during my second playthrough.

jorma

is now taking requests
Platinum get. Took two and a half playthroughs just to get all the experience to level all the guns and get the full health trophy.

Found a boring but guaranteed spot for infinite enemies on my second playthroughs.

On the island level, where you get the 02 mask. When you are guiding the guy through to meet the mechanic that gives your ship upgrades and when you reach the last bridge you have to create for him, if you leave enemies alive before the bridge and skip ahead the fish will spawn constantly after the bridge. Was a gold mine for bolts, cards, 20x multiplier, and raritarium. Not super effective for leveling weapons though. I just sat there with the sheepinator spinning circles and in a few minutes was at 20x and a few more minutes had over a mil bolts.

God damnit, i just passed that spot in my challenge run. Would have been golden.

jorma

is now taking requests
Just beat challenge mode and tried to Groovitron everything, no trophy. Are there any easy to miss enemies that I might've forgotten that I can just go back to get?

Mine unlocked at the tank that spawns last in the fight where you get the "not my fight" trophy. It's in the level where you unlock the first races. I'm 99% sure i had used the groovitron on tanks before that, but this tank was seemingly special.

Croash

Finished it in a couple of days and loved every moment of it. I was very surprised when I realized how faithful it was as I went through Novalis.

Like others in the thread, I was disappointed by the lack of proper character development for both Ratchet and Clank, as well as a lack of beautifully animated in-game story cutscenes to move the plot/throw in some good old fashioned humor regardless of what the movie does. If I didn't know the entire Ratchet & Clank universe already, this game wouldn't have made me fall in love with its characters.

That being said, it's amazing to play and extremely polished, with top notch music, voice acting and graphics. A true delight, I couldn't stop staring at the environment (while enemies were dancing <3).

To me, they successfully put every "Best of" ingredient from the franchise and made it work with nostalgia on top of it, which is super sweet. I didn't even miss the Arena (but I want it to return with a vengeance).

That PS4 gameplay with PS2 soundtrack video makes me wish we had a few options like that in the Extras to celebrate the series, like changing Ratchet's costume to the very first, or using old weapon designs (when possible). It would have been more efficient than the rather small Insomniac Museum.

Right now, there's not even a way to remove Ratchet's armor, right? I adore the 2007 Future design and was disappointed when the game forced me out of it but still showed it in movie scenes.

Anyway, thank you Insomniac Games for this brilliant Ratchet entry. Can't wait for the next one, no matter its direction (Going Commando Remake, Nexus sequel, new story).

madmackem

And I was just about to ask if Clank was normally this boring? One of the most soulless companions I've seen in a game like this.
They changed the dynamic between them for the good imho, in the first game they weren't friendly between each other at the start of the game.

I've missed Ratchet this generation. I don't know how this stacks up in terms of tech, but it's by far the prettiest game I've played, ever. And of course it plays like a dream.

Planet

in the first game they weren't friendly between each other at the start of the game.
They were arguing like friends with opposing opinions. And that made the story and characters much more interesting. Also Captain Quark was demoted from a funny clone mix of Zap Brennigan and Gilderoy Lockheart to... just stupid. He lost just about everything that made him fun in the earlies titles in the series.

The gameplay changes in this were all for the better, it is a much better game than the one starting this series. But the story has been somewhat murdered. It doesn't harm the game much, but the movie does not hold up, not to my hopes of it, not to other movies in the genre.

datwr

They were arguing like friends with opposing opinions.

More like totally hostile against eachother in some parts, but Ratchet were to much of a douchbag in the first game.
I would have rather they actually went closer to that then the instant friends/no actual interaction thing they did now tho.

More like totally hostile against eachother in some parts, but Ratchet were to much of a douchbag in the first game.
I would have rather they actually went closer to that then the instant friends/no actual interaction thing they did now tho.

Not at the beginning. That was only after Clank almost got them both killed.

Planet

"you go your way, I go my way" does not sound so hostile to me. Maybe your mind plays tricks on you? How long ago did you play that game? I platinumed the PS3 version in 2014 and had a playthrough on Vita again last year.

RevenWolf

So just started playing, this is my first Ratchet & Clank game ever.

So far it's really good! And I'm really impressed with the graphics! Wasn't expecting to be but I'm really enjoying the art style too!

Raw64life

Caved and bought this game now that I'm done with Dark Souls III for the time being.

Not to drum up the argument again, but the 30 FPS hit me like a brick. It's easy enough to get used to but it's absolutely noticeable and certainty disappointing.

That being said, it's great playing a Ratchet game again as I hadn't played one since Crack in Time and it's as fun as ever. And I'm happy to support a game released at $40 with all the content on the disc and no DLC/season pass shenanigans.

lt519

God damnit, i just passed that spot in my challenge run. Would have been golden.

Yeah, I did it on accident, some enemy got stuck behind a building so I hadn't killed it and kept going forward. The guy kept complaining to me to clear the area so I was trying to clear the area after the bridge but enemies kept coming. Then I realized what was happening...

Should of made a video, it's a much much easier way to get the 20x trophy and to earn enough bolts, raritanium, and cards to finish those trophies. I had to keep playing to level weapons anyway though.

Teggy

"you go your way, I go my way" does not sound so hostile to me. Maybe your mind plays tricks on you? How long ago did you play that game? I platinumed the PS3 version in 2014 and had a playthrough on Vita again last year.

I actually just got past this point in the game a couple of days ago. Ratchet gets really pissed at Clank after the boss at Qwark's base.

Alpende

Is there any shortcut in the first gold race? I'm having a hard time getting the trophy, unlike the second one.

Nope. I have seen some vids where they use jumps to skip parts of the map as unofficial shortcuts but that hasn't really worked for me, I get teleported back to the map. All I did was put the game on easy mode and switch L2 and R2 to L1 and L2, that helped me a lot in getting the trophy.

-------

I platinumed the game today and had a blast playing it. Lots of cool guns and upgrading them was fun. I would have liked it better if the guns changed appearances every so often instead of when a gun is maxed out. Even though it's short this is my favorite game so far this year.

lt519

Is there any shortcut in the first gold race? I'm having a hard time getting the trophy, unlike the second one.

I think a key thing to success on that is only collecting boxes when you really need them. Especially at the beginning of the race you don't need them because you can get fully charged with the first three rings and tricks on the first jump. Leave those boxes for subsequent laps. The only corner I cut is the one right before the huge jump, I always use a boost there and cut the corner a bit. You should be dropping from the top platform and that should put you basically on a direct line that the game considers a legal cutting of the corner. There's a 3x3 stack of boxes you can aim for and you should land at the base of the huge ramp.

Other than that you just need to maximize boost time which means making sure you aren't collecting boxes while all your boosts are full. First lap I often had full boost around the final few S curves, so I avoided those boxes to leave them for later laps. I screwed up a few times, hitting explosive boxes, on my trophy run. You can still make mistakes once you figure out the best way to optimize boosting.

And I was just about to ask if Clank was normally this boring? One of the most soulless companions I've seen in a game like this.

Just compare him to how he's portrayed in the original where we see a naive Clank playfully teased by Ratchet. There hasn't been a single moment even close to this level of interaction or personality in the reboot in my play through thus far. It's a shame they deleted the chemistry in favor of this sanitized version of the duo.

They changed the dynamic between them for the good imho, in the first game they weren't friendly between each other at the start of the game.

They actually were pretty amiable to each other until
Clank's earnestness and naivety almost led to their deaths, at which point Ratchet (having been a reluctant "hero" up to this part) finally reaches a breaking point. Seeing Ratchet become consumed with revenge while Clank tried to steer him down a noble path for the greater good was actually a fantastic dynamic and culminated into a great character arc when Ratchet finally realizes the severity of the situation after defeating Quark and seeing a destroyed city at the hands of Drek.

Sure, Ratchet was a huge cunt to Clank for too long in the original, but there was no reason they couldn't have lessened it and maintained the core emotional journey for the two as they learned to trust each other. This new sanitized version has absolutley nothing of interest in their dynamic whatsoever. Zero conflict, zero tension. It's a shame.

The big bend in the track after the big jump has a decent shortcut if you boost and time it right, but if you try to overdo it the game will reset you on the track.

JohngPR

Where do I get the middle RYNO card? I'm about to be on the final boss and I hear it is suggested I have the suit.

You get the final card pretty close to the end of the game. I don't remember exactly when but deep into the last area, if you get to a part where there is a Teleporter to the left of you that will teleport you back to your ship and a Gadgetron Vendor cube on the right, you passed it by. Do you not have the map-o-matic? It should how you where you can get cards.

nib95

Banned
Absolutely loving my time with this now. In all honesty at first I thought it was all a tad too simple and boring mechanically, and even felt the graphics were only sometimes stand out, as at times they were held back by jaggies etc. However, after a few hours of play, not only did the gameplay ratchet up (pun intended) several fold, but I feel the graphics and general art direction have improved too. These later planets just look that little bit cleaner, smoother and more rich. They really do look Pixar like, especially when there's not a jaggy in sight. The gameplay as well has just gotten so much more engrossing, over the top and dynamic.

The weapons are an absolute joy to use, and the different new skills and powers are great additions too, such as the propellor, jet pack etc. Boosting around in the jet pack island to island, collecting these brains etc has been really enjoyable, thanks mostly to the way the jack pack controls, plus the freedom and satisfaction it affords.

Only real negatives I have at this point are that I hate the way weapons sometimes change or change arrangement mid fight when you run out of ammo. It should have been harder to change weapon to dpad layout. The other thing is that I haven't really found the humour that funny, don't get me wrong there's some good gags here and there, it's just most of the time it's a bit too dramatic, comical and not that witty. Another thing, whilst I love that there's so many unique weapons, there's so many so quickly offered, that it gets daunting managing upgrades or even knowing which to upgrade and invest in and which not to. Lastly, I feel Normal is a bit too easy and Hard a bit too hard. There should have been a difficulty in between these two. Though I'm still very much enjoying normal and have died a few times here and there.

Other than that though, really enjoying it so far. Super smooth, satisfying, polished, beautiful, content packed and just mega fun.

Pein

Banned
You can really tell this is the game based on the movie, its really fun but story wise its really bland. I've been playing ratchet since I was 13 and this is probably my least favorite ratchet game, other than quest for booty.

Some of the most memorable moments in the series have been jokes and those seemed to have been stripped away, props to sony for making it $40 dollars though, I think its the right price for a game like this.

I really hope it sells enough that we get a full blown ratchet game on the level of tools/acint.

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Found a quick bug to get the race-time trophy on Rilgar.

If you quit the race via the menu while you're at #1 with a time below 1:35 the trophy will trigger. Saved me hours of frustration. I could get the gold NP but the trophy was impossible.

vypek

If you quit the race via the menu while you're at #1 with a time below 1:35 the trophy will trigger. Saved me hours of frustration. I could get the gold NP but the trophy was impossible.

Wait...so you can just quit once you are first place and it would pop?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The characters and story in this game are..meh.

Ratchet games have always been fun as games, but i never really fell into line with the 'galatic ranger' portion of it all.

In my opinion(which def aint with the majority) i actually liked the original story of the first game. I liked that Ratchet was an asshole who spent half the game trying to do everything other than help clank and was just 'some dude', instead of some ranger wanna be they are trying to remold him into.

That was a big part of the character growth arc both he and clank had...Ratchet needed to take things more serious and Clank needed to lighten up...that's why Clank had to learn the hard way when Quark betrayed them, and why Ratchet had to learn when his planet was going to be destroyed.

Trying to take that out of the story essentially mutes any real point of these characters besides generic save the world cartoon characters

Wait...so you can just quit once you are first place and it would pop?
For me, at least, it worked the opposite of the way I expected. If I quit right after hitting first place on the initial lap, nothing happened. When I failed the trophy requirement -- lap 3, first place, something like 1:38 on the clock, but still haven't crossed the finish line -- I got the trophy instantly after quitting.

vypek

For me, at least, it worked the opposite of the way I expected. If I quit right after hitting first place on the initial lap, nothing happened. When I failed the trophy requirement -- lap 3, first place, something like 1:38 on the clock, but still haven't crossed the finish line -- I got the trophy instantly after quitting.

Wow thats pretty amazing. Would have loved to known that when I was going for that trophy. lol

The characters and story in this game are..meh.

Ratchet games have always been fun as games, but i never really fell into line with the 'galatic ranger' portion of it all.

In my opinion(which def aint with the majority) i actually liked the original story of the first game. I liked that Ratchet was an asshole who spent half the game trying to do everything other than help clank and was just 'some dude', instead of some ranger wanna be they are trying to remold him into.

That was a big part of the character growth arc both he and clank had...Ratchet needed to take things more serious and Clank needed to lighten up...that's why Clank had to learn the hard way when Quark betrayed them, and why Ratchet had to learn when his planet was going to be destroyed.

Trying to take that out of the story essentially mutes any real point of these characters besides generic save the world cartoon characters

Ratchet learned when he saw how screwed up Gorda City was, not when Drek was about to destroy his planet. Sorry I have to make this correction because the latter makes him seem infinitely more selfish lol.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ratchet learned when he saw how screwed up Gorda City was, not when Drek was about to destroy his planet. Sorry I have to make this correction because the latter makes him seem infinitely more selfish lol.

Ok ok...his planet was when he was actively trying to be a good guy then, not when he realized he was being a douchenozzle.

But the point still stands

Ok ok...his planet was when he was actively trying to be a good guy then, not when he realized he was being a douchenozzle.

But the point still stands

Huh, I don't disagree with your point, I just wanted to make that correction. He starts to realize the bigger picture and understand why Clank's mission is so important as soon as he sees the planet Oltanis infobot. It's from that point where he starts being an active hero.

GeeTeeCee

Thanks for pointing this out, I just attempted the hoverboard stuff today and this saved a lot of time.

I quit the race just before the finish line on the final lap after failing to meet the 1:35 time (but I was close!) and still got the trophy, and you can always set the difficulty to casual to slow down the opposition to make things easier on that front.

I already did the equivalent trophy in R&C HD legit years ago, so I feel justified in cheating now...

You get the final card pretty close to the end of the game. I don't remember exactly when but deep into the last area, if you get to a part where there is a Teleporter to the left of you that will teleport you back to your ship and a Gadgetron Vendor cube on the right, you passed it by. Do you not have the map-o-matic? It should how you where you can get cards.

I have it now, thank you.

I just beat the game and enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to a brand new Ratchet and Clank on the PS4 now. I think A Crack In Time is my favorite ratchet game and is one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.

I have one empty slot in my weapons wheel and I bought all the guns and have the RYNO. Is there something I missed?
Edit: nvm I found out it was a pre order exclusive. That's silly :(

This game. I didn't initially intend on picking it up, but between great reviews and folks on Twitter praising it, I decided to check it out.

And now I'm hooked within an hour of starting the game. Insomniac has done it again!

bwahhhhh

Ratchet & Clank PS2 Soundtrack Over PS4 Gameplay

Love this so much. Most of them still fit well.

Quartu sounds hilariously off though with the overhauled look. The outside part could probably fit better with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoK540doSI

Quartu was one of my favorite tracks, it had this goofy vibe that gelled really well with the goofy "HELLO! HI!" waving you'd do to the other robots while in your robot hologuise.

kinda disappointed they removed that, that and Ratchet's goofy "robot walk" always made me chuckle

TBH, the soundtrack for this reboot sounds more like Star Wars at times than Ratchet and Clank, I wish they had just redone the original tracks. I can't really remember a single one from the reboot. The new tracks weren't bad or anything, I just can't recall any.

EVO

What sick fuck at Insomniac made 1:35 the time to beat on the first race? I nearly broke my controller getting that trophy. It was the Venom Hot Lap from Driveclub all over again.

NastyBook

Just sitting at Aridia, doing my best impersonation of the bullhorn in the sewer trick with my level 5 Sheepinator against three Sandshark pods. I figured hitting max multiplier in Challenge Mode would be easy, but damn. lol. And I'm getting holocards and raritanium for my troubles. Just hit 500k.

EDIT: Had a bunch of bolts before that, though. Got at least 100k from the whole thing. The pods finally died from too many goat farts.

Top Bottom