• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart Day 1 Patch Adds Performance and Performance RT Modes

sn0man

R&C however would be totally fine on disc at the default 4k30. Demon's Souls was also a totally 'complete' game on disc with a day 1 patch. Would you rather they just... not patch the game? Delay the game a few extra months? Withhold release until some arbitrary criteria beyond certification is met?
I would prefer they delay the physical release for 2 weeks so that the physical release is complete.
Well, there's people like me who doesn't. I rather buy the game and downloads the Day one patch and play, then to Wait longer for that patch to be installed onto disc. That's just wasting my time. For me technically, there is no difference by downloading Day one patch.
If time is your main value then why not just get digital. With preloading you’ll get the digital version way faster than putting on pants and driving all the way to the store to get your round circle.

I thought the $70 was so the devs had the money to do a better quality job. Sony couldn’t delay this release (and Spider-Man MM before it) to ensure the game had all the content and modes on disc.

poor planning, bad pressure to hit an arbitrary date, lack of care for your legacy, planning for eventual PS6 “remaster” release. Pick a rationale.

at this point I’ll be waiting / hoping for a reprint if I want the full patched game.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Day one patches like these are honestly pissing me off. I'd rather wait a month or two to have everything on disc.

Lethal01

1080p max RT and 60fps would be amazing across the board. I'm just advocating for graphics options this gen being the standard.

I'm against players feeling it's mandatory.

The option to turn RT off prevernts devs from going all out in their implementation of RT. The option to play at 60fps means they need to make the 30fps modes reolution be higher than needed which leads to less power available for more complex rendering features.

THEAP99

Banned
Some high quality screen grabs and stuff from early copy

hYq2g0n.jpg
Ratchet and Clank a Rift Apart Screenshots 1

Last edited:
I'm not thrilled with these modes not being on the disc but it's not exactly surprising.

Looking forward to playing this game in 2 years when I find a ps5
Kinda tells you that they built this game around maximum graphically fidelity at 30fps and then made the 60fps modes close to the end of development

Nah. It's incomplete and day 1 patching is a really shitty practice if it's to include anything but minor bug fixes. It's just greed and consumers that defend it deserve everything they get in the all digital future. We've known Ratchet will have a 60fps mode for months. It wasn't : the downloaded or patched version will have a 60fps mode.

Not going to stop me from buying it, though what could have been a more expensive purchase will now for sure be a $20 or less one.

I get it, this is the situation with games now, but corporate bootlicking like this have enabled it. Doesn't stop me from playing games, but I absolutely do not support it and call it out. It's certainly not me keeping the AAA industry afloat with day one purchases.
Umm the finished game is 30fps. That’s the way the game was designed. They only included the 60fps modes as a bonus so they don’t really need to be on the disc. To call the game incomplete because they gave you a free bonus after the game went gold, is just dumb.

they obviously worked on it up until it went good, and made sure it was the best game that fit their vision and then when that work was over and they went to pressing the discs, they said okay, now let’s see if we can make a couple bonus modes like we did with Spider-Man.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I was going to ask you the same question on your response.
So you want to question me about questioning you on who insomniac supports?

Instead of supporting a studio you clearly want to support, once you see that they support the gay community now you have a different stance?!?

OK, fine. but at the end of the day in order to support quality moving forward you then need to support those devs. Why does it matter their stance as long as they deliver quality games to you?

Last edited:
Umm the finished game is 30fps. That’s the way the game was designed. They only included the 60fps modes as a bonus so they don’t really need to be on the disc. To call the game incomplete because they gave you a free bonus after the game went gold, is just dumb.

they obviously worked on it up until it went good, and made sure it was the best game that fit their vision and then when that work was over and they went to pressing the discs, they said okay, now let’s see if we can make a couple bonus modes like we did with Spider-Man.
Absolute bullshit. We've had articles stating the game would have a 60fps mode since AUGUST of last year. And they need to patch the disc? Unfinished game. It's not some free gift like how the Ps4 game was patched to offer 60fps on Ps5. That is good service ; this is just intentionally making the disc worth less.

Not to mention this is Ratchet and Clank which has been 60fps since day 1 on the Playstation 2.

Some people seriously can not enjoy what's good about a game without completely bootlicking for the company. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this game on a nice top tier HDR tv at 60fps but that doesn't mean they'll get more than $20 for it and i'm calling this bs out.

Last edited:
I'm against players feeling it's mandatory.

The option to turn RT off prevernts devs from going all out in their implementation of RT. The option to play at 60fps means they need to make the 30fps modes reolution be higher than needed which leads to less power available for more complex rendering features.
We will agree to disagree then. I'm hopeful that engines will become more refined and optimized to allow for devs to push RT and 60fps at a respectable resolution. UE5 already looks promising and I'm looking forward to other engines that can showcase what these consoles are capable of. Until then, my stance will remain in favor of graphics options.

So you want to question me about questioning you on who insomniac supports?

Instead of supporting a studio you clearly want to support, once you see that they support the gay community now you have a different stance?!?

OK, fine. but at the end of the day in order to support quality moving forward you then need to support those devs. Why does it matter their stance as long as they deliver quality games to you?
Man some of you guys just can't see obvious Gamestop jokes if it slammed you in the face.

The second part of the post should have made it obvious it was a joke post and that you're overreacting over nothing.

So with them updating the patch for RT in 60fps mode, what's the point of the 30fps mode? 4 more particle effects on screen?
Should look noticeably sharper, and with their great motion blur 30fps is less of a downgrade than usual. Also, LOD pop in may be more severe on the 60fps modes. We'll have to see, but definitely choosing 60fps personally.

JeloSWE

Absolute bullshit. We've had articles stating the game would have a 60fps mode since AUGUST of last year. And they need to patch the disc? Unfinished game. It's not some free gift like how the Ps4 game was patched to offer 60fps on Ps5. That is good service ; this is just intentionally making the disc worth less.

Not to mention this is Ratchet and Clank which has been 60fps since day 1 on the Playstation 2.

Some people seriously can not enjoy what's good about a game without completely bootlicking for the company. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this game on a nice top tier HDR tv at 60fps but that doesn't mean they'll get more than $20 for it and i'm calling this bs out.
Even if they stated back in august that there will be a 60 fps version, the game is obviously built around 30 fps first. The way game development and any other software development for that matter can't do everything at once, to get the 60 fps up and running and then do QA on it was probably a task done mostly towards the end of the game production. They could speed up the release of the game by going gold when 30 fps was deemed release ready but might have still kept working on on the 60 fps RT implementation to then be released as a day 1 patch. Doing this in order to cheapen the value of a disk releases is highly unlikely, you are just buying into conspiracies.

CamHostage

Sorry, you will be disappointed if you think Ratchet will mostly be on rails.
It is a fair criticism of Rift Apart, though, to say that the coolest rift-tripping sequences shown so far seem to all be "on rails".

As in, as part of linear gameplay segments with pre-conceived transition points. You're riding a rail, you're on an animal dashing through a chaotic course, you're flying through a city corridor... you're on a path from the rift input to the rift output. The vast majority of R&C Rift Apart sequences we have seen have been linear progressions, and even if the "full level" gets loaded when you transition, there is no sign that you can break out of the linear path until you complete the goal and end up where the game chooses to drop you.

There are these Pocket Dimension rifts where Ratchet/Rivet literally walk from one level to another, but the use of the term "Pocket Dimension" appears to indicate that there are limitations to how these are used too. (I'm assuming you go from one main level into a sublevel somewhere else, with limitations because they have to have at least two chunks of each different levels in memory at a time in order to have both on screen at the same time... although there is Insomniac's mention about "We unload the things literally behind you from a camera perspective. If you spun the camera around, we could load them before you see that," which I don't think means 100% what people think it means but it's a big deal in savings obviously if they can clear that much inside a gameplay moment.) These Pocket Dimensions are huge levels by themselves (the whole area where Rivet goes into a purple area area and rides a snail back is a Pocket Dimension,) but there is a difference in gameplay terms between what they call Dimensional Shifts and the Pocket Dimensions.

We do need to see more, and I'm sure there are surprises in how near-instant loading is used in gameplay, but the way most of the purple Rifts we have seen have been either on rails or with a gameplay pause (sometimes both) shows that there's still work to be done in overcoming limitations of this technology in future games. It's cool to see now, and this is just the first game to play with such technology this early on in the generation.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That gameplay doesn't look particularly enthralling to me; I'm probably gonna buy this game but it just seems like an excuse to load data fast, mostly a bunch of stuff flying around in the background, while the gameplay is just standard platforming / action adventure fair.

Even if they stated back in august that there will be a 60 fps version, the game is obviously built around 30 fps first. The way game development and any other software development for that matter can't do everything at once, to get the 60 fps up and running and then do QA on it was probably a task done mostly towards the end of the game production. They could speed up the release of the game by going gold when 30 fps was deemed release ready but might have still kept working on on the 60 fps RT implementation to then be released as a day 1 patch. Doing this in order to cheapen the value of a disk releases is highly unlikely, you are just buying into conspiracies.
Cheapen the value of the disc just means they don’t care about the printed version, it’s no conspiracy.

Keep bootlicking though.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Cheapen the value of the disc just means they don’t care about the printed version, it’s no conspiracy.

Keep bootlicking though.
So aggressive lol

They know people download patches is all... and they want to start the release process which takes weeks for disks.

Doesn't it get tiring getting upset over modern game publishing for every single game ever?

Last edited:

JeloSWE

Keep bootlicking though.
They care about selling games, whether it's digital or physical, yes Sony would love if everyone only bought digital, no one can deny that. That said, it extremely unlikely a game developer would withhold the day1 patch in order to lessen the value of a the disk release as anyone with the disc can download the patch at any moment for the foreseeable future. The only case where the disc is losing it's value as you say is sometimes during a future gen (PS6~7) when they might stop providing the ability to download the patch but which is high unlikely part of their equation and reason for not including the patch on disc in the first place. Looking to lessen the disks value 7-10 years down the line sound like ridiculous scheme.

How ever I agree they should ideally release a finished game even on disk with all the modes and no bugs etc but most people have access to internet to download the patch and it's available day one. The only reason for this is project planing and release dates etc.

CamHostage

(Hey, can we not fill up this thread with things that are not about the Day 1 patch notes? We might be getting into spoilery territory if we keep posting leaked screenshots, even if the intent is to show the graphical modes. Better to start a new thread specifically for that stuff.)

Seriously! I really did not want to know that there was a UI and gold bolts!

Not saying these two shots, but if this thread becomes the spot for leak screens to get posted, that's a problem since that's not what it started out as and not something mentioned in the OT.

BTW, even with these 2 shots, it's starting to get into spoilers...
This is clearly early in the game, and if the first Gold Bolt the player picked up is him playing Rivet, so that means you practically begin the game as Rivet. So Clank doesn't just drop in on this mystery character when Dimensional Shifting as previously shown, and she's not some city-dwelling Lombox vigilante who suddenly finds adventure when dimensions start popping up or marooned with no hope after a battle with Nefarious and the Rifts are finally her way out; we see that she has already been to other worlds when the game starts, and we the players know who she is before our main characters do.

Not a big deal, but it's not hard to respect people who want to experience the game fresh next week. Leak media should be kept to leak threads unless absolutely necessary to the conversation.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
(Hey, can we not fill up this thread with things that are not about the Day 1 patch notes? We might be getting into spoilery territory if we keep posting leaked screenshots, even if the intent is to show the graphical modes. Better to start a new thread specifically for that stuff.)

Seriously! I really did not want to know that there was a UI and gold bolts!

elliot5

Before I get a bunch of warriors in my mentions, let me preface this by saying I regard Insomniac very highly and think they have achieved stellar work with RC. I think everything shown looks great and even "downgraded" looks good.

I had someone here really try telling me that in engine cutscenes aren't "bullshots" because it's in game or whatever, when I made a comment about not taking the marketed cinematic stuff "captured on console" as an indication of what a game will look like in action.

Po717x8.jpg
GlRXSaa.jpg

How can you gonna tell me that the cinematic cutscene below isn't a bullshot, when that's being used as the marketing material from Sony? It's a total difference between that and in game, especially if the screenshot is from the fidelity mode. I still think the in game looks great, and it's good the cinematics are 'real time', but cmon. You're just setting yourselves up for disappointment when you buy in to Sony marketing cutscenes as captured game footage.

elliot5

What about the screens from the actual gameplay footage? This could just be what performance mode looks like. I guess we have to wait for the analysis to find out what the differences are.
Maybe it's perf mode, and yeah we'll have to wait for the full run down. Even if that is the 4k30 mode it's not going to look as clean and crisp as the cinematics and still shots in marketing. No game will. It could also be a case of being in that less than ideal lighting condition. Looks to be in shadow in a more hazy dusk type light set up.

Maybe it's perf mode, and yeah we'll have to wait for the full run down. Even if that is the 4k30 mode it's not going to look as clean and crisp as the cinematics and still shots in marketing. No game will. It could also be a case of being in that less than ideal lighting condition. Looks to be in shadow in a more hazy dusk type light set up.

I was talking about screens taken from this.

This should be a good indication of what fidelity mode looks like.

Last edited:

Kangx

Before I get a bunch of warriors in my mentions, let me preface this by saying I regard Insomniac very highly and think they have achieved stellar work with RC. I think everything shown looks great and even "downgraded" looks good.

I had someone here really try telling me that in engine cutscenes aren't "bullshots" because it's in game or whatever, when I made a comment about not taking the marketed cinematic stuff "captured on console" as an indication of what a game will look like in action.

Po717x8.jpg
GlRXSaa.jpg

How can you gonna tell me that the cinematic cutscene below isn't a bullshot, when that's being used as the marketing material from Sony? It's a total difference between that and in game, especially if the screenshot is from the fidelity mode. I still think the in game looks great, and it's good the cinematics are 'real time', but cmon. You're just setting yourselves up for disappointment when you buy in to Sony marketing cutscenes as captured game footage.
Actually, you are setting up yourself here. Wait for until the 8 where the review lift. You will have more footage and screen shot to look at.
Also, yes these 2 shot is kinda subpar compare to the direct screen grab from the state of play and it was not form Insomniac. I don't know how this guy screen cap this. Trust me, I don't know how you still doubt Insomniac when we have direct screen grab from sop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom