• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate Nintendo's E3 Direct

RATE

• Total voters

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Probably a B+ for me. No More Heroes 3 was rad, but like... there was so little in the way of new game announcements.... particularly Switch exclusives . That was disappointing. Then, Bayonetta 3 was a no-show, and there were no more Wii/WiiU ports announced. And no F-Zero, dammit :(

ParanoidRED

Banned
lol guess Nintendo mostly wasn't a hit with... people who don't buy their consoles anyways

so yeah a win all around
Uhm i donnow why you say that, i play 99% of my time on Switch but i still found the conference lacking, it can happen, not being a huge fan of Zelda/Smash while loving the f out of Metroid/Bayonetta diminished the conference hype by quite a margin for me :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
A+ from me..

Two Zeldas, fucking Panzer Dragoon, Astral Chain, Animal Crossing.

Switch's best show so far, topped 2017 easily.

I wouldn't say that. Half their developers just came off of 3DS projects, so some of them still need more time. And considering this is Nintendo, they can show games whenever they want.

Yeah which is cool and all but they have such a vast and expansive library of IP that Mario and Zelda just don't cut it for me anymore. Or smash. What about F-Zero? Metroid? Star Fox? Pikmin?

My fiancee has had a switch since the Christmas of the year they launched. She has three games. Ports of older titles are not good enough. We have RE5 and RE6 and sadly she isn't into RPGs but it feels like the Switch is just a throw away console for me.

Until Nintendo have developers on board making titles from their franchises built for switch especially, not just ports from other systems, I'll struggle to find number 4. She wants the Zelda out in September but jesus guys, I feel like the benefit of Switch was easier development and let the 3DS die gracefully. It feels like Wii U all over again where the release schedule is overly blank or nothing of substance.

Jubenhimer

She wants the Zelda out in September but jesus guys, I feel like the benefit of Switch was easier development and let the 3DS die gracefully. It feels like Wii U all over again where the release schedule is overly blank or nothing of substance.

If you were to combine the 3DS and Wii U libraries, and remove the duopolies (IE, Mario Kart, 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, NSMB, Smash, etc.) it doesn't look that much different from the Switch. 2019 is stacked as far as first party games go. And keep in mind, just because a game doesn't interest you, doesn't mean it doesn't for other people.

It may not have felt like it in 2017 or 2018 because as I said, half of their developers were wrapping up their 3DS projects, and since the Switch is a much more powerful system, they need more time before whatever they have in the works is ready. Another thing to keep in mind is that the hybrid nature of the Switch means there's no longer any need to make 2 entries of a series for each platform, to make sure they have a representation. If you combined the lineup of the 3DS and Wii U, it'd seem bigger at first glance, but only because each system had a version of the same series released on it. With the Switch, that's no longer the case, why waste time and money on a handheld Luigi's Mansion, when work for that can go to getting Luigi's Mansion 3 out faster?

So the death of the 3DS does mean a healthier line of first party releases than the Wii U ever had. But that's not to say it'll allow Nintendo to put out more games than they already did before.

Porcile

C- A little bit too much creativity and gameplay footage.

Oh my fucking god was that Panzer Dragoon!?!?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This. I wonder if the Nintendo Switch player base only cares about this one game. Even Sony doesn't have that one overwhelming game.
I don't know about anybody else but I'm looking forward to:

Astral Chain
Daemon X Machina
Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Bayonetta 3
Shin Megami Tensei V
Luigi's Mansion 3
Breath of the Wild 2
Oninaki (is exclusive but I might buy it for Switch)
Dragon Quest XI S Definitive Edition

So there is lot of game on Switch I care about.

B. I actually enjoyed it despite no Bayonetta or prime trilogy even. Don't like smash but seeing banjo was awesome. New Zelda and fucking no more heroes 3!!!

TLZ

Banned
Gave it an A.

I thought Square had a homerun, but Nintendo topped them. I'm quite happy the Japanese are doing great again.

And I've finally seen my boy Luigi busting ghosts. That alone wins it for me. Then the Zelda gameplay looked good. But why no date still for LM3?

Oh yes and BOTW2! So happy it's confirmed.

Btw, did I see New Super Lucky's Tale in there? It was too quick.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
A for me. They hit it out of the park. I honestly can't get mad at Nintendo, they just put a smile on your face with their cute games. Like, Miaymoto could slap me, and piss on me after. I wouldn't even care. That's how much I love Nintendo.

cryptoadam

Banned
A

No stupid speeches or WORLD PREMIERE or orchestra's. Only thing was a small 2 minute Bowser gag.

Then just games and gameplay, showing you a ton of games you are going to be playing before fiscal end of 2019.

Also a bit of a coming out party for Nintendo as far as being Kiddie. Not anymore. You have games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Witcher, DxM, Astral Chain, Empire of Sin, NMH 3, and on and on. Back in the Wii days it was a miracle if any "mature" games were made.

Switch is also an RPG beast.

Most of the games looked darn good, and Nintendo themselves have a really strong release schedule for games they are publishing with SMM2 all the way till the end of the year.

Sleeper game of the show could be Mario/Sonic. Looks like it has this 16 bit mode also? I mean there is Karate, Boxing, skateboarding, soccer, there has to be basketball, and maybe even baseball?

And then you end it with first Banjoo, and then Zelda 2.

There are gamers who just aren't into Nintendo games so maybe the line up looks like just japanese games and ports, but if you look at it there is a lot of variety and 3rd party stuff in there along with Nintendo first party quality. If you have a switch there are going to be tons of games to get. If this Direct wasn't a B or better then Nintendo probably isn't for you.

CyberPanda

Banned
A

No stupid speeches or WORLD PREMIERE or orchestra's. Only thing was a small 2 minute Bowser gag.

Then just games and gameplay, showing you a ton of games you are going to be playing before fiscal end of 2019.

Also a bit of a coming out party for Nintendo as far as being Kiddie. Not anymore. You have games like Doom, Wolfenstein, Witcher, DxM, Astral Chain, Empire of Sin, NMH 3, and on and on. Back in the Wii days it was a miracle if any "mature" games were made.

Switch is also an RPG beast.

Most of the games looked darn good, and Nintendo themselves have a really strong release schedule for games they are publishing with SMM2 all the way till the end of the year.

Sleeper game of the show could be Mario/Sonic!. Looks like it has this 16 bit mode also? I mean there is Karate, Boxing, skateboarding, soccer, there has to be basketball, and maybe even baseball?

And then you end it with first Banjoo, and then Zelda 2.

There are gamers who just aren't into Nintendo games so maybe the line up looks like just japanese games and ports, but if you look at it there is a lot of variety and 3rd party stuff in there along with Nintendo first party quality. If you have a switch there are going to be tons of games to get. If this Direct wasn't a B or better then Nintendo probably isn't for you.
YASSSS SLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RPGCrazied

Its a tie for first place in my opinion. Nintendo had a little bit of everything and the BOTW 2 tease at the end was shocking. Square Enix mostly for FF7R but they did have other good stuff like FF8 remaster. Both get A's.

Last edited:

Meesh

A
Straight up Nintendo had their best E3 presentation in history.
They brought the games, they brought surprises.
I mean holy fuck, Panzer Dragoon?
RE 5/6
Animal Crossing.
Witcher?? Lol holy Jesus.
The Mana collection?
Zelda Maker in Links Awakening?
Smash characters!!!
Alien Isolation...
Doom.

There's just so much stuff beyond that, blew me away.

Switch takes the crown as all time best Nintendo box by far.

Waiting on Metroid news...

NikuNashi

A-. If they had teased MP3 at the end they would have an A*. Great presentation and no overweight women with pink hair virtue signalling shenanigans, well done Ninty.

NahaNago

After further thought I would have to say that this Direct was a "B". I got hyped for a new dlc in a fighting game and Zelda was just a cg trailer. The majority of the stuff we saw was games we had seen before and remastered ports. Luigi's mansion kinda seems really small after thinking about Odyssey. I feel like I have been masterfully tricked into being excited but I can't hate on Nintendo for it.

0neAnd0nly

I will say a B... +.

Going with a B+.

Just a little too much filler in between the few major announcements, but the surprise ending regarding BOTW Sequel, rumor confirmation of Witcher, RE and other 3rd party games coming over, and of course Pokemon (still somewhat shocked this wasn’t a bigger part of the main direct) were enough to give it high marks. Nintendo isn’t into surprises much these days, but the BOTW announcement was definitely hype.

Good job overall!

93xfan

Banned
Loved it, but was disappointed at no snes games for their online service.

The Zelda BOTW 2 surprise at the end was great, but not a lot of unexpected or surprising announcements overall.

The Zelda BOTW 2 surprise at the end was great, but not a lot of unexpected or surprising announcements overall.
I'm not sure what anybody expects anymore. I mean, NOBODY saw BotW2 coming. It's a megaton unexpected and surprising announcement. But you know, other than that...

I mean, Witcher 3 on Switch would've been a surprise if it hadn't been leaked. Same with the SaGa games. The new Smash fighters were welcome surprises. Link's Awakening having a dungeon maker was a surprise. New Contra game. Collection of Mana, out RIGHT NOW. Seiken Densetsu 3 remake. No More Heroes 3. Panzer Dragoon.

But you know, other than those many, varied, and unexpected surprises, there weren't a lot of surprises...

93xfan

Banned
I'm not sure what anybody expects anymore. I mean, NOBODY saw BotW2 coming. It's a megaton unexpected and surprising announcement. But you know, other than that...

I mean, Witcher 3 on Switch would've been a surprise if it hadn't been leaked. Same with the SaGa games. The new Smash fighters were welcome surprises. Link's Awakening having a dungeon maker was a surprise. New Contra game. Collection of Mana, out RIGHT NOW. Seiken Densetsu 3 remake. No More Heroes 3. Panzer Dragoon.

But you know, other than those many, varied, and unexpected surprises, there weren't a lot of surprises...

I guess I mean more along the lines of with Nintendo’s key franchises. A Metroid Prime Trilogy remake would’ve been great, for example. Or what about a return of F-Zero.

I guess I mean more along the lines of with Nintendo’s key franchises. A Metroid Prime Trilogy remake would’ve been great, for example. Or what about a return of F-Zero.
Then say you are disappointed about the lack of Metroid and F-Zero. Saying there was not a lot of unexpected or surprising announcements is bullshit.

Also, Nintendo hasn't made a real F-Zero since the GameCube. If you pass out from holding your breath, that won't be Nintendo's fault.

93xfan

Banned
Then say you are disappointed about the lack of Metroid and F-Zero. Saying there was not a lot of unexpected or surprising announcements is bullshit.

Also, Nintendo hasn't made a real F-Zero since the GameCube. If you pass out from holding your breath, that won't be Nintendo's fault.

Those were examples. If you re-read my post I said I was disappointed by a lack of surprises related to their main franchises. Wind Waker HD even would’ve been a nice addition.

Plus there were a lot of things I was expecting, such as SNES games in their online service that didn’t come to fruition.

Overall it was a great showing, but people are allowed to have some disappointments.

Last edited:
A but I also want to add the Treehouse demos because they add sooooooooooo much to the overall showings at E3.

Those were examples. If you re-read my post I said I was disappointed by a lack of surprises related to their main franchises. Wind Waker HD even would’ve been a nice addition.

Plus there were a lot of things I was expecting, such as SNES games in their online service that didn’t come to fruition.

Overall it was a great showing, but people are allowed to have some disappointments.

Look I want Wind Waker HD on switch more than anyone however it's just not going to happen this year with the Link's Awakening remake. I think there's a possibility next year since the BotW probably won't come out until 2021 but even then I don't know if Nintendo will want to release a Zelda port so close to the Link's Awakening remake.

As far as SNES games on the online service, it's just not going to happen because of how strong indies are doing on the Switch at the moment and how attracted developers are to it right now.

8 bit games don't really compete against indies but when you get into SNES territory then indies get a bit scared.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Easily an A for me. The BotW 2 trailer was amazing. Banjo in Smash, LA Remake, and Animal Crossing also all looked really good.

Shaqazooloo

It's an A for me.

Nearly flawless, outside of the Netflix game and Pantzer Dragon I was at least interested or hyped for the games shown. My personal Favorites were the Fire Emblem: Three Houses Trailer, Luigi's Mansion 3 overview, Banjo reveal and Breath of the Wild sequel. The ending left me absolutely stunned, i'm still in shock at what Nintendo can do with Smash bros and the confirmation of a sequel to my favorite game of all time.

Just... wow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom