• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman DLC leak for Super Smash Bros. Wii U [revealed fake]

Explain please. Crap like this "victim blaming" and Rayman haters are much more infuriating than the leak turning out fake.

You think this is victim blaming? The guy didn't expect to blow up as much as it did and you all became too hyped despite various red flags. So don't hate on him.

you need someone to explain to you the benefits of deductive reasoning when dealing with rumors from video game forums?

Victim blaming? Really? You guys are victims?

I just don't see what's wrong with being a little upset over the deception. Not saying the guy deserves the death threats, but I don't think he's completely blameless. As mentioned earlier in the thread, he didn't have to go so far out of his way to deceive people.

It's like someone pranking their friend into thinking they won lottery prize (yes I know there's an episode of Regular Show like this). Sure, you can say the "victim" is partially at fault for getting their hopes up, you can have a bunch of laughs, but it doesn't make the pranker completely blameless. They're still kind of a dick for toying with their hopes and dreams. That's all I'm saying.

This guy has been doing this stuff for a long time. And he's come a long way too. I remember him from the Nsider forums. I remember those amazing Kirby hats that look like absolute shit compared to this Rayman art. I wonder how long it takes him to make these, because I really wanna see some more stuff.

He's the guy who used to make those Kirby hats on Nsider?

Wow, that takes me back

Despite the leak being fake, I still think if there are any new DLC characters beyond Mewtwo, Rayman still has a very good chance of being one of them. I've thought this ever since the trophy was first shown in the pic of the day, and the leak being fake didn't really change that opinion. Artsy Omni has no impact on what the dev team does, just like all the numerous fake leaks that included Pac-Man, Palutena, Shulk, Bowser Jr and Mewtwo didn't affect their inclusion.
I think Mewtwo and Wolf will be the only character DLC. The rest being new stages/costumes/game modes. Wolf makes sense as DLC, especially with a new Star Fox coming out. And any new character ideas will just be saved for Smash 5

Vuapol

Oh well. He had everyone going and he certainly could have kept everyone going for a while longer. I wanted to believe, because I hope Mewtwo isn't the only DLC character we're getting, but Rayman not getting selected to hear Xander's call was a red flag to me. But that was awesome. Can't say I wouldn't have done something similar if I had this guy's talent.

That said, what the heck is Ubisoft doing? Do they need three days to find the right words to properly break it to us? Bit late for that.

If Rayman really is coming to Smash and this "leak" caused Ubisoft to get scared and jump the gun, I'm gonna die of laughter.

Roo

Not gonna lie, I'm somehow disappointed it turned out to be fake.
Not that I really had any real expectations about it but Rayman always seemed like a good addition to Smash Bros imo.

I feel sorry for him tho.
Spending so much time in something like this just to troll people (specially with such exquisite level of detail) is simply sad.

Oh well, another day on the internet I guess.

Ahnez

I think Mewtwo and Wolf will be the only character DLC. The rest being new stages/costumes/game modes. Wolf makes sense as DLC, especially with a new Star Fox coming out. And any new character ideas will just be saved for Smash 5

I doubt they will lose the chance to get an extra profit from DLC characters..

The game is not moving units, all the sales are from people who already own a Wii U.

But for sure, the fanbase is loyal, so, they would buy DLCs, if they are well done (which is very likely, given Nintendo). So, if there's a chance to make more money from this, they will probably do it.

Smash 5 will probably come out midway through Nintendo's 9th gen console life, so holding things back now wouldn't be the best strategy

octopiggy

In a weird way this sort of stuff is probably good for stifling legit leaks.
When there are examples like this that look so convincing then you can never tell what's real and what's not.

You think this is victim blaming? The guy didn't expect to blow up as much as it did and you all became too hyped despite various red flags. So don't hate on him.
This is 100% victim blaming. If the guy was stupid enough to not expect this, he wouldn't be able to make it in the first plac.

NTom64

It was one of the more believable leaks in recent memory. Also, not everyone is as savvy as the type of gamer who posts on forums, keeps up to date with hoaxes etc.

I'm more interested now in seeing if Ubisoft actually responds on Tuesday.

I doubt they will lose the chance to get an extra profit from DLC characters..

The game is not moving units, all the sales are from people who already own a Wii U.

But for sure, the fanbase is loyal, so, they would buy DLCs, if they are well done (which is very likely, given Nintendo). So, if there's a chance to make more money from this, they will probably do it.

Smash 5 will probably come out midway through Nintendo's 9th gen console life, so holding things back now wouldn't be the best strategy
DLC doesn't really move consoles, the adoption rate of most DLC is incredibly low. So they're selling DLC to fans of Smash, and fans of Smash will probably be just as likely to buy Wolf as they would a New Comer, and Wolf doesn't require as much work as a new comer and doesn't take an idea from Smash 5

Man, what a relief to wake up and find out this whole thing was fake. I totally admit that I bought into it fully, though - #TeamReal here and not even ashamed. Artsy Omni did an amazing job.

Wouldn't want to have been a Rayman fan in the last 24 hours, though. Sorry, y'all.

Love all the people coming out of the woodwork only now to claim how "obviously fake" and "easy to see all along" it was. You're not fooling anyone, you guys.

MrPanic

It was a obvious fake. If you'd think that the team that did so much right on Megaman, Sonic and Pacman's models would make such a messed up head for Rayman, you're dead wrong. Still looks good for a fake leak though, gg.

Still hoping for Rayman as dlc though, takez my moniez nintenzo.

Ahnez

DLC doesn't really move consoles, the adoption rate of most DLC is incredibly low. So they're selling DLC to fans of Smash, and fans of Smash will probably be just as likely to buy Wolf as they would a New Comer, and Wolf doesn't require as much work as a new comer and doesn't take an idea from Smash 5

I know it doesn't. I didn't mean to sell more consoles with the DLC.. Theres nothing that will sell more Wii Us at this point. Mario Kart didn't, SSB didn't, Xenoblade won't and Zelda won't.. those will just sell to those who already own the console

What I mean is, instead of profiting nothing once the game sales slow down, they can still get more money by selling DLC to those customers, those who had a Wii U before

sn00zer

Guy did a good job. Anyone mad is just being silly and cant take a joke. The amount of effort he put it in makes it a damn good prank, and not in the "Haha I fooled you". He let it sit only a day and gave a nice video of how he did it. Good job on him for a well designed prank that took a ton of effort, then revealed it before it got too out of hand.

Ryce

So they're selling DLC to fans of Smash, and fans of Smash will probably be just as likely to buy Wolf as they would a New Comer, and Wolf doesn't require as much work as a new comer and doesn't take an idea from Smash 5
Having one or two newcomers as DLC isn't going to diminish the roster of a future installment. There are games and IPs that don't even exist yet that will serve to bolster the Smash 5 roster.

Basically, it's silly to worry about a hypothetical sequel that's six-plus years away.

Wow so it was a fake all along. I ain't even mad.
That guy has skills, leak seemed so real.

That was fun while it lasted. SmashGAF speculation and hype is always fun.

Conan-san

Good.
ypDwEzb.jpg

Mistle

Waking up to the news that it's fake...

While the models did look like shit, he is extremely talented to get the animated background on the CSS and other various elements that were just too perfect.

jnWake

I'm a bit disappointed this is fake because it confirmed more than just Mewtwo for DLC.

It's hilarious that people are mad at the guy though. I'm just surprised at his faking talent.

Having one or two newcomers as DLC isn't going to diminish the roster of a future installment. There are games and IPs that don't even exist yet that will serve to bolster the Smash 5 roster.

Basically, it's silly to worry about a hypothetical sequel that's six-plus years away.

Xenoblade is the only IP in the history of Smash Bros that was released after the previous Smash Bros game (Pikmin and Wii Fit are close, but came out a month before Melee/Brawl).

Character wise, only Shulk, Greninja, Robin, Lucina and Dark Pit were invented after Brawl. 2 of those are clones. Brawl had Lucario, Lucas, Toon Link, Zero Suit and Ike. Melee had Roy and Pichu.

The majority of new comers to Smash are older characters (Brawl was kind of close, with a little less than half). Smash 5 is especially going to have issues, because there's no real major holes missing or glaring omissions. At least not enough to build a roster out of if they start plucking ideas like Dixie or Dark Samus out of Smash 5.

whipihguh

Banned
Huh, so it was fake and the Rayman render was drawn? That's basically what I expected. It seemed to have a somewhat hand-drawn look, even with the incredible amount of detail put into it.

Still, I'm pretty amazed by the amount of work put into this fake. It's definitely gonna be a new baseline for fakes in the future.

Ryce

Xenoblade is the only IP in the history of Smash Bros that was released after the previous Smash Bros game (Pikmin and Wii Fit are close, but came out a month before Melee/Brawl).

Character wise, only Shulk, Greninja, Robin, Lucina and Dark Pit were invented after Brawl. 2 of those are clones. Brawl had Lucario, Lucas, Toon Link, Zero Suit and Ike. Melee had Roy and Pichu.

The majority of new comers to Smash are older characters (Brawl was kind of close, with a little less than half). Smash 5 is especially going to have issues, because there's no real major holes missing or glaring omissions. At least not enough to build a roster out of if they start plucking ideas like Dixie or Dark Samus out of Smash 5.
I still don't see the issue. Dixie Kong and Chorus Kids can be DLC without hurting Smash 5 -- it's not like I'm saying there should be a dozen newcomers as DLC. There's still Inkling, Captain Toad, K. Rool, Ridley (for all we know, Smash 5 might introduce "giant" characters like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom), new Pokémon, a new Fire Emblem character, retro characters, third-party characters, characters from future IP, and other secondary characters from represented franchises for Smash 5.

Neoxon

Every character, newcomer or veteran, was remade from scratch. Wolf would take the same amount of effort as a newcomer.

Riposte

Didn't really believe this for a moment, but it's a really well-done fake.

Finding out about the Project M character leaks was more exciting. Knuckles and Lyn with a hint of Sami from Advance Wars? I wonder if they will be able backwards import characters and stages from 4 (both 3DS/Wii U).

Lijik

Guy did a good job. Anyone mad is just being silly and cant take a joke. The amount of effort he put it in makes it a damn good prank, and not in the "Haha I fooled you". He let it sit only a day and gave a nice video of how he did it. Good job on him for a well designed prank that took a ton of effort, then revealed it before it got too out of hand.

Yeah id get being mad if he strung it along for like a week, but for just a day and with all the work behind it really doesnt come off that bad

It was a obvious fake. If you'd think that the team that did so much right on Megaman, Sonic and Pacman's models would make such a messed up head for Rayman, you're dead wrong. Still looks good for a fake leak though, gg.

Still hoping for Rayman as dlc though, takez my moniez nintenzo.

i dunno people claimed the exact same thing when the baked as fuck Rayman trophy was revealed
edit- and the eyebrows came from the ingame trophy itself. Dude put the work in:
StTnsY9.png

NTom64

Yeah id get being mad if he strung it along for like a week, but for just a day and with all the work behind it really doesnt come off that bad

The work itself is fantastic, but not everyone takes being fooled so well. I mean shit, even Ubisoft itself had to comment on it.

Even if it's just "Rayman is officially not in Smash Bros" that's wasted effort on their part.

Azure J

Finding out about the Project M character leaks was more exciting. Knuckles and Lyn with a hint of Sami from Advance Wars? I wonder if they will be able backwards import characters and stages from 4 (both 3DS/Wii U).

I'm actually upset I didn't get to see the threads when the PM leak went down. The 3.5 hype was too real.

Every character, newcomer or veteran, was remade from scratch. Wolf would take the same amount of effort as a newcomer.

No it doesn't. No need to invent a new moveset.

i dunno people claimed the exact same thing when the baked as fuck Rayman trophy was revealed
edit- and the eyebrows came from the ingame trophy itself. Dude put the work in:
StTnsY9.png

This is silly of me to ask, but how do I get to this menu? I've been trying to figure out how to view trophies in more detail, but couldn't figure out how.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I can't really see how can we found Project M characters leak exciting? When someone threw a fit and dropped 5 characters' names and dropped a GIF of Sami model.

Because of drama, they got rid of Sami because the model got leaked so they felt that the surprise is ruined.

We are more likely to ended up with different character roster because of backroom drama. Now we know that we are getting Isaac, Lyn, and Knuckle for sure. Right now people are trying to fight to get Sami to reinstated.

Also they are avoiding to use characters in Smash 4 because they don't want to cause any legal dispute with Nintendo. They basically confirmed that.

Project M leak is interesting but the way it got leaked is hardly exciting; comparing to some leaks.

Stoze

Great fake. Guy has a lot of talent and dedication. Not sure why he did it unless it's to get "street cred"

I listened to the interview, he did it to kick off his youtube series where he takes in character suggestions and makes them like he did for Rayman. Also did it to brush up on his After Effects skills.

It honestly didn't sound like he spent too much time slaving over it, he did it over 3 weekends, he works as a graphic designer during the week. Dude is just really talented and enjoys making art.

Marow

Woah, so it was fake? That's really impressive. Sure worked as a way to market himself if anything.

What about the Ubisoft statement on Tuesday? Has there been an update on that?

L Thammy

Now I'm thinking about how great a pick Rayman was for this fake. There's enough evidence that it isn't an implausible choice, but it's still enough of a curveball to generate discussion. And it isn't an obvious fanboy wish like Ridley. How many other characters are there that could fit all of those criteria?

Top Bottom