• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE5, Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Off the Record coming to Steamworks

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
THANK YOU CAPCPOM. Also, please give us the DLC for both RE5 and DR2 pretty pllllleeeaaasseee

If they do this I will play the living fuck out of RE5 again just for the gold content in mercs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why are you talking about ports? This has nothing to do with ports. Tne games already are on PC, tney're just removing broken GFWL and putting in steamworks DRM etc. That is all.

...And that's a port. Just because they're removing code from a platform to move to the next doesn't make it not a port to a different service.

And Ultra's netcode in the process was fucked beyond belief (still is). Given these have co-op elements, I fear for their netcode and "port" to Steams service.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
...And that's a port. Just because they're removing code from a platform to move to the next doesn't make it not a port to a different service.

And Ultra's netcode in the process was fucked beyond belief (still is). Given these have co-op elements, I fear for their netcode and "port" to Steams service.

are they bringing the gold edition to re5?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
As someone that never had problems with GFWL and already owns these on steam, this has little impact for me. Was hoping for some ports from consoles like Code Veronica or DR1

~Kinggi~

Banned
As someone that never had problems with GFWL and already owns these on steam, this has little impact for me. Was hoping for some ports from consoles like Code Veronica or DR1

Well outside of people who had issues with GFWL not working, it was more a fear of when the service was gonna shut down since it is obviously on its way out and what would happen to the games when it did. Plus getting rid of additional drm layers is always good. I dread if Uplay ever goes down.

isamu

Which is a shame because RE6 has the best Mercs mode.

Debatable. I've played both of them to death and both have their pluses and minuses. Prefer 5 Mercs by a hair. Wesker is just too fucking cool for school.

Anyone else think Capcom might be putting off a new RE5 Gold Edition release due to the current Ebola outbreak in Africa? It would seem in really poor taste to have to be marketing that game while this is going on.

Sectus

I actually think RE5 has the best in terms of challenge (I guess a character or two sort of break things though), but RE6 is my second favorite.

I think they both have advantages and disadvantages. Although I personally prefer RE6 overall.

RE6 Pros:
- More freedom in movement, and more types of moves available.
- Larger set of characters and maps.
- Two enemy types which are completely different.
- Feels well balanced for solo play.
- Characters are more balanced.

RE6 Cons:
- First few minutes of any map is too slow.
- Some annoying bugs (ie, staircases + melee is a dice roll as to what will happen).
- A couple of the bosses can feel too random. Who knows if Strelat boss will somehow kill itself during a run.

RE5 Pros:
- More variety in melees after stunning an enemy.
- Less buggy than RE6.
- Better coop implementation.
- More interesting inventory and item system.

RE5 Cons:
- No ingame warning whether enemies will turn into "long necks", which is a common annoying way to lose your combo
- Spawn regions are a huge hassle to deal with, which limits how you can play many of the maps and requires a lot of memorization from the player.
- While you have more variety with melees after stunning enemies, a few are practically useless. Shoulder melees anyone?
- Wesker is the only really viable character when going for highest score.
- In retrospect, the quick reload is a bit silly.

I wish Capcom would have taken the approach where they patch mercs mode a while after launch once bugs and imbalances were discovered, alongside a leaderboard reset. I still love mercs in both games though.

Parsnip

Good, excellent, wonderful. As someone who had to play RE5 with a cracked exe last time because gfwdead refused to work, this pleases me. Never had too much interest in Dead Rising, but more the merrier I say.

I have my doubts about gold edition content, but that would certainly be a huge bonus. Porting that over would probably require x amount extra work that may not be easily justified from Capcom's standpoint. Though, RE4 super complete HD edition exists, and the upcoming REmaster, so never say never I guess.

Same here. I still have hope for Code Veronica HD.

Although maybe now I can get both DR2s during the next Capcom sale.

Sentenza

RE5?! Awesome.

Always wanted to coop that game on PC with my friend.
I did at the time, but I remember that as usual GFWL made it incredibly painful and unreliable.
My memory is foggy about the details but I vaguely remember something about being forced to "trick" the online infrastructure using Hamachi because the game for some reason refused to connect me and my friend through a normal optic-fiber internet connection.

I love RE 5, played it to death on 360, ps3 and completed the pc version itself 10 times. Have not touched it in months after GFWL was announced as winding down.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Unless they're adding real controller support to DR2 I don't see why they're even bothering.

Top Bottom