• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE5, Dead Rising 2 and DR2: Off the Record coming to Steamworks

This is good. I actually enjoyed Resident Evil 5 quite a bit. I've never played Dead Rising 2 - I was tempted to buy it during the last Steam Christmas sale, but held off because of GFWL.

Persona7

Banned
So these games don't work at all right now? I don't get half the comments in this thread about finally being able to play these games.

Nzyme32

Looking forward to finally grabbing Dead Rising 2 and Off the Record. I hope Lost Planet games get sorted out. Also would be nice to see Rockstar sort out GTAIV; that said they are doing work on San Andreas of all things, and before it's beta got password protected, seems they finally got triggers to work, so who knows what the future holds!

TheMoon

That's awesome news! Though I have a physical PC copy of DR2: Off the Record and I hope the key will be redeemable on steam once the transition is complete!

So these games don't work at all right now? I don't get half the comments in this thread about finally being able to play these games.
Lots of people wanted nothing to do with GFWL. It was pretty rubbish and a huge pain in the butt to use for online play, at least in my experience.

Nillansan

I don't get why people are going so crazy over this.
More rereleases. Why not Dragon's Dogma or something?

It means that I will actually put money down for Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. Full price. I don't want to deal with GFWL any more.

Either way, a PC version of Dragon's Dogma would be lovely.

TheMoon

More rereleases. Why not Dragon's Dogma or something?

I don't think you got what they announced here. Not rereleases. They said that their released games wouldn't be tied to a dying software platform any longer and would be future-proofed by this steamworks transfer. This is not some random rerelease.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Great! I never put that many hours into DR2. And couldn't play it because my DVD rom was busted.

Hope this makes Namco change their mind regarding Dark Souls.

i am pleased

the real megaton would be to patch out frank's horribly fucked up model from OTR and replace it with the one from the first game though
seriously what the hell happenned there

More rereleases.

Crazy hate for GFWL. I didn't like it either.
This also means there might me a chance they add the Gold DLC to RE5.

Why not Dragon's Dogma or something?

I take both. They can keep supporting their existing titles and bring new ones aswell.

Might as well, they can charge for it to pay for the patches.

Boo. Get out.

Honey Bunny

I would be happy about this, but Codemasters said they'd do this to Dirt 3 back in January and that shit is still there. Not gonna count my chickens.

Amazing News. It kind of makes sense for them to do it for Resident Evil 5, since every other Resident Evil game on Steam uses Steamworks.

I'm very pleased that Dead Rising 2 is also making the jump. I've always been worried that we'd lose the cooperative mode when GFWL died. And cooperative Dead Rising 2 is a billion times more fun...and Dead Rising 2 is pretty goddamn fun on its own.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I would be happy about this, but Codemasters said they'd do this to Dirt 3 back in January and that shit is still there. Not gonna count my chickens.

At least Capcom's had some experience in converting from GFWL to Steamworks with Ultra SFIV. Hopefully things will go smoother as a result.

The fact that it took Capcom this long to make a statement about it gives me hope.

Currently you cannot use any of the online features in these games. As of about two or three months ago when GFWL's servers were shut down. So a sizable chunk of these games aren't working at all right now.

Currently you cannot use any of the online features in these games. As of about two or three months ago when GFWL's servers were shut down. So a sizable chunk of these games aren't working at all right now.

i don't think that's correct, gfwl servers should still be up
people were just waiting for GFWL to be removed from the games

O.DOGG

I don't have any GFWL games installed right now so I cannot check but I'm pretty sure GFWL is still accessible. A couple of months ago there was an announcement that they would keep the servers online for the time being and I haven't heard of them shutting it down since.

Sectus

I really really really hope they port over Gold Edition content alongside this, but I'm guessing that might be hoping for too much.

I don't have any GFWL games installed right now so I cannot check but I'm pretty sure GFWL is still accessible. A couple of months ago there was an announcement that they would keep the servers online for the time being and I haven't heard of them shutting it down since.

GFWL servers are still working. I booted up RE5 some days ago and it worked fine.

Miguel81

I really really really hope they port over Gold Edition content alongside this, but I'm guessing that might be hoping for too much.

I'd rather remain optimistic because of the Resi 4 HD treatment. If they can revamp that game to Ultimate status, then 2 DLC chapters shouldn't be too much of a hassle for them. It'd really be the perfect icing on an already tasty cake.

Grief.exe

Been waiting to play RE5 and OTR after the GFWL removal!

Dark Souls still on top of the hit list.

Lost Planet Colonies? :(

Lost Planet EC- Steamworks
Lost Planet EC Colonies- GFWL

I'd imagine Capcom will just remove Colonies from the store at one point.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Such great news, i'd love to replay all these games.

6HzmPWP.gif

Riposte

And what about Lost Planet 2?

My immediate thought lol.

GFWL servers are still working. I booted up RE5 some days ago and it worked fine.

I honestly have lost hope on the Gold Edition stuff. Maybe if they ever announce a port to the new consoles.

I actually played through all of RE5 recently using GFWL. Some Mercenaries too, but people don't want to deal with my scruby ass lol.

Nice. Gotta remember to transfer my RE5/OTR saves.

How does this work?

I doubt they're doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

If they release the Gold Edition content as purchasable DLC I would be totally fine with it.

Now that makes me wonder: How does Capcom make money of the Steamworks transition? Porting the missing DLC and doing a "Yay, GFWL dead"-Sale would be a way I imagine.

Xpliskin

Am I the only one having no issues at all with GFWL.

Booted up RE5 the other day, 1-click sign-on and I got to play.

It's deserted though coop-wise.

If this means more players, then yeah great.

Enco

DR2 was ruined by the boss fights, dodgy controls and lack of multiplayer support/a community.

Nice to see them support Steam though.

Top Bottom