• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn boss: Gamestop exploiting devs and consumers

Draff

My problem with Gamestop is that I can't simply walk in and walk out with a game.

I went in to buy a 3DS accessory and Fire Emblem. Over the next few minutes I had to listen to the employee up sell a 3DS case, offer warranty protection for the game, discuss used options and ask if there were any new games that I wanted to pre-order. Meanwhile, I see a lot of people, unfortunately, buy into their warranties.

Roto13

Retail doesn't determine its own prices, the publisher does, and retail reacts by measuring current market value on certain used games. Also, there isn't one single industry where content makers and distributors are entitled to the profit of a resale. What makes the game industry so special?

For like the hundred zillionth time, developers and publishers generally aren't against the very idea of people being able to buy and sell their own games to and from each other. What they don't like is that one of the largest video game retailers goes out of its way to cram used games down the throats of people who would otherwise be willing to buy new ones. Someone who goes on Craigslist or eBay to buy a game is looking for a cheap used game. Someone who goes into GameStop for a recent release likely isn't, as evidenced by the fact that the price difference between a new and used recent game is barely anything at all.

Gxgear

People who are rallying behind the 'consumer rights' flag are missing the bigger picture.

Meanwhile this guy's publisher worked with Gamestop to provide an exclusive preorder bonus.

Developers are at the mercy (or lack thereof) of publishers, what else is new?

N2NOther

Banned
Has this exact thing ever happen to anyone else? Five dollars off a newish title?
The price yes, slipping it in without telling me. Never.

The only problem with this is that giving the devs a cut of used sales, which they aren't entitled to AT ALL, is that consumers will receive less for their games. In short, he and every developer that thinks they should get a cut of used sales can fuck right the fuck off.

ironchair

Banned
Fuck these devs man. No problem with Gamestop pushing those pre orders tho eh?
I think it's probably a circular problem. Because developers see Gamestop as a sort of bully regarding second-hand games sales, they dislike many of the policies and practices implemented by the corporation. However, because developers feel that they must generate as much revenue as possible in the first couple of months because the majority of revenue after that will go to second-hand sales, they feel compelled to offer incentives that will motivate as many early adopters as possible to buy their games as soon as possible.

AFAIK, Gamestop is still the largest, dedicated games retailer in North America, so developers/publishers have to play ball to some extent.

Anyone with half a brain knows this. They jerk over everyone who makes games with their entire business model being designed to make sure that nobody who makes games gets money from making game or credit for games sold.

Anyone who is aware of Ebay and Amazon knows they give consumers the worst trade-in prices in the industry.

They literally screw over every entity they deal with. Not to mention they sell broken product, on par with used car dealerships prior to lemon laws.

Green Yoshi

Meanwhile this guy's publisher worked with Gamestop to provide an exclusive preorder bonus.

So it is.

It's a shame, back in the 90s we had plenty of game shops here in Germany, now you only find a Gamestop at every corner. Their prices are ridicolous and they treat games like shit. If I buy used games at Amazon.de they are far cheaper and usually in much better shape.
Last week I was in the Netherlands, four different game shops in one city and not one Gamestop. :)

espher

The only games I've bought at ebgames in the past three years are Xenoblade (used, before prices went insane), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (on sale, new), and Steel Diver (el cheap, new). Only Xenoblade was done in-store.

They've tried to pull the "buy this new game used and save yourself $5" thing or "when you're done with this $60 game bring it back and we'll give you $20 in credit" thing too many times for me to give them any more of my business. It's just insulting to me, for some reason. The beef I have with it is the disgusting margins they make while offering pathetic savings. I save $5 while they make $30. It's horseshit. It's a despicable practice to me -- there's a pawnshop here (that my friends have used) that gives you comparable and often better credit and also only charges $40 for a used copy of a brand new game. They're doing juuuust fiiiiine.

I did buy their knockoff GameCube controllers in an emergency situation where I couldn't find two of mine for an event, and I'm pretty happy with them. I will admit that.

N2NOther

Banned
For like the hundred zillionth time, developers and publishers generally aren't against the very idea of people being able to buy and sell their own games to and from each other. What they don't like is that one of the largest video game retailers goes out of its way to cram used games down the throats of people who would otherwise be willing to buy new ones. Someone who goes on Craigslist or eBay to buy a game is looking for a cheap used game. Someone who goes into GameStop for a recent release likely isn't, as evidenced by the fact that the price difference between a new and used recent game is barely anything at all.
I call bullshit on this because when I've asked every single vocal dev about private sales they say nothing. They don't give two shuts about private sales because they will never be able to control them.

Duxxy3

Gamefly doesn't ship to your area?

Why would i use gamefly if i only want to rent one game?

If gamefly offered a daily day rental option, without a subscription, I would probably go there.

edit: just looked and the nearest gamefly shipping center is pennsylvania. so that's a 3-4 day turnaround. gamefly just doesn't work for me.

unchained

Banned
I think it's probably a circular problem. Because developers see Gamestop as a sort of bully regarding second-hand games sales, they dislike many of the policies and practices implemented by the corporation. However, because developers feel that they must generate as much revenue as possible in the first couple of months because the majority of revenue after that will go to second-hand sales, they feel compelled to offer incentives that will motivate as many early adopters as possible to buy their games as soon as possible.

AFAIK, Gamestop is still the largest, dedicated games retailer in North America, so developers/publishers will have to play ball to some extent.

No the problem is they want there cake and eat it too. They want the pre orders they want the in store advertising. They want the sale of collector editions strategy guides etc. they just don't want the cost of dealing in the retail space i.e. consumer right to sale and buy used. It's like a company wanting on the benefits of operating in a country/state but then complain about the taxes. It's the cost of doing business.

It's even more nerve wracking when there are other options available to them but they just want the perks of the retail space.

My problem with Gamestop is that I can't simply walk in and walk out with a game.

I went in to buy a 3DS accessory and Fire Emblem. Over the next few minutes I had to listen to the employee up sell a 3DS case, offer warranty protection for the game, discuss used options and ask if there were any new games that I wanted to pre-order. Meanwhile, I see a lot of people, unfortunately, buy into their warranties.

I started using Amazon years ago to avoid all their bullshit. It's amazing having the game show up right at my front door on the release day. They offer release day shipping for $1, or it's free if you're an Amazon Prime member.

Being able to sell your stuff used isn't flawed. Being unideal for them makes it only flawed for them,

And the small price difference isn't why people but used. People but used because they are given the option to return it if they don't like it. That is a huge benefit. Unless you are 100% sold on a game and are ready to love it, why wouldn't you take the used option if you can get your money back?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
GameStop employees assume you're the 'know nothing' sort of customer. I stopped living in their world once I realized how developers make their money.

GameStop wants to act like they're part of the industry too and they try and use it against people. Like game employee A working and greeting people with his knowledge based on GameStop logic.

*They've stood there saying I had multiple ways my game was going to be destroyed and why I needed protection. Well... this isn't my first rodeo and it wont be my last.

Torraz

So it is.

It's a shame, back in the 90s we had plenty of game shops here in Germany, now you only find a Gamestop at every corner. Their prices are ridicolous and they treat games like shit. If I buy used games at Amazon.de they are far cheaper and usually in much better shape.
Last week I was in the Netherlands, four different game shops in one city and not one Gamestop. :)

There's game-mania in the Netherlands. Same concept as gamestop.

GQman2121

Banned
Publisher's created this beast. And they continue to do business with it regularly. So why should we as consumers care? Oh, less games being developed? Boo fucking hoo. Cry me a rain forest.

The example used is shitty. GS employees shouldn't be trying to pull one over on customer's. However, they do have every right to offer a lower priced game that they've purchased.

raphanum

Maybe, publishers should come to an agreement with gamestop to delay used sales of new games within 1 - 2 months from release date.

Ugh, the Gamestop in my area has lost my service because of shit like that.

When I bought Gran Turismo XL, they pulled that "new" disk shit on me. I was pretty upset.
"It's the same thing, man."
No. It fucking isn't.

Last time I went to Gamestop, I went to buy Mirror's Edge for $12, since the girlfriend wanted to play it.
No big deal, that's the price you would expect to find it at online. I head to the cashier, check out, and I need to pay... $20?
I asked her about the price, and she said that they forgot to change the tags, but it was still $20.
Fuck that shit. Why would she not tell me before the total that the price was wrong? -_-

jgmo870

Banned
Maybe, publishers should come to an agreement with gamestop to delay used sales of new games within 1 - 2 months from release date.

Why would gamestop agree to that? If those two months considerably cut into the publisher's profits then, when the agreement is in place, it would considerably cut into the retailer's instead.

This guy should keep crying. If he wants a cut he can buy back all the used copies of his games and re sell them.

It is absolutely unacceptable that ANY customer comes to the store counter, asks for a copy of a game, and without any sort of additioal dialog, is sold a used copy (this includes the open copies the employees check out and use). Any customer subjected to this practice should rightfully be up in arms, let alone a developer with a passion for making games for his fans and for his livelihood.

Gamestop is a scummy company and should be treated like the scum they are.

N2NOther

Banned
Ugh, the Gamestop in my area has lost my service because of shit like that.

When I bought Gran Turismo XL, they pulled that "new" disk shit on me. I was pretty upset.
"It's the same thing, man."
No. It fucking isn't.

Last time I went to Gamestop, I went to buy Mirror's Edge for $12, since the girlfriend wanted to play it.
No big deal, that's the price you would expect to find it at online. I head to the cashier, check out, and I need to pay... $20?
I asked her about the price, and she said that they forgot to change the tags, but it was still $20.
Fuck that shit. Why would she not tell me before the total that the price was wrong? -_-
You need to make a stink. I used to AM a couple of Gamestops and in if there was a price increase and the tag wasn't updated I would give the customer to lower price. I've done this in every retail environment I've been in.

Dunkers92

The publishers should incentivise the sale of new games over used to retailers then.

Publishers want GameStop to exist so that games have a presence in the public eye, but then essentially give GameStop etc no cut of their new sales. Their is basically no incentive for GameStop to push the new copy of a game over a used one.

That is scummy as hell. Don't blame the guy for raging about it.

It's standard for Gamespot. I remember trying to buy FFX new and they were trying to sell me an used copy. I said no because it was only $5 less or something like that. But they wouldn't let up, they even took the disc out of the case and try to show me there wasn't any scratches.

They're relentless

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Developers are at the mercy (or lack thereof) of publishers, what else is new?

So the company that's cutting his paycheck has no problem with Gamestop, and has a working relationship with them.

Sounds like he should have just as big of a beef with his publisher.

Iorv3th

Bad employee is all. He shouldn't be trying to slip anything to anyone without them knowing. He should have just mentioned they have the game used for cheaper if he wanted to get that one instead of trying to just ring up the used copy.

The biggest problem is that different District Mangers and Regional Managers will push different things and some just give 0 shits about their customer base they just care about the money. Have store 45 minutes away from me and we will get people that will drive to our store that live in the town where the other store is located because of their terrible management (different district/area).

You need to make a stink. I used to AM a couple of Gamestops and in if there was a price increase and the tag wasn't updated I would give the customer to lower price. I've done this in every retail environment I've been in.

Really? Fuck.
That's it. They are getting NONE of my service.
I fucking preordered like, 6 games at a time so most employees could finish their quota for the day, or whatever. Most employees got fired, and the new ones are just really annoying/rude.
Now? Amazon gets my moneys.

raphanum

It's standard for Gamespot. I remember trying to buy FFX new and they were trying to sell me an used copy. I said no because it was only $5 less or something like that. But they wouldn't let up, they even took the disc out of the case and try to show me there wasn't any scratches.

They're relentless

Do gamestop employees make commission on used game sales?

Liamario

Banned
When I see the costs of new release (retail) games, their digital prices are disgusting and I struggle to sympathise.

Valnen

Really? Fuck.
That's it. They are getting NONE of my service.
I fucking preordered like, 6 games at a time so most employees could finish their quota for the day, or whatever. Most employees got fired, and the new ones are just really annoying/rude.
Now? Amazon gets my moneys.

If concern for employees is a factor in where you take your business, Amazon isn't a great choice either. Their warehouse workers work in pretty terrible conditions I've heard.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

That's a great way to fuck over the consumer who wants to trade in that $60 game they just finished in a weekend and were hoping to put towards something else.

Sorry about that Aliens CM not being what the developer showed. Hold onto it for another 60 days and then we can take it for you. Of course by then the value will nosedive.

Krakn3Dfx

Hate Gamestop, but we have a really good mom 'n pop game shop up the street from my house, they give great trade-in values and anytime Gamestop has some trade-in deal that's better than theirs, they will match it or in a lot of cases beat GS's deal.

When we talk about eliminating used game sales or making it harder/impossible for smaller/non-franchise shops to survive under a system while douche bag corps like Gamestop get exclusive deals with big publishers that allow them to benefit, it pisses me off to no end.

I know everything in business is evolve or die, but still, shutting down small businesses who make an honest effort to compete is pretty sad. I have seen so many really good smaller game shops shut down as a result, and everytime that happens, the gaming community gives another chip to big business like Gamestop.

Kinyou

Fuck these devs man. No problem with Gamestop pushing those pre orders tho eh? Or pre ordering season passes sight unseen?
Or exclusive pre order bonuses that are different at every fucking retailer? How about when I sell some old games to fund purchases of your new game day 1? That's all good the problem only comes in when I want to get the game used. And let's not kid our selves here he may have only mentioned gamestop but he feels this way about used games in general.

These devs can fuck off there are plenty of other options for them to go. But they want to stick to the same archaic model but want us to give up our rights. Fuck em!
What would those be? More pre-order bonuses? Online-passes? Tacked on mulitplayer?

Gxgear

So the company that's cutting his paycheck has no problem with Gamestop, and has a working relationship with them.

Sounds like he should have just as big of a beef with his publisher.

This is why so many facets of the gaming industry are flawed, each sector is co-dependent yet detrimental upon each other,

You're just proving his point really, with regards to working in a flawed system.

Top Bottom