• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn boss: Gamestop exploiting devs and consumers

Solo Act

He's right.

It's Gamestop's heavy used game push that made it a problem for the industry, not the occasional average Joe who likes to sell/trade his games on message boards or to/with friends.

What aggravates me slightly is when the industry still plays ball with Gamestop as in "we're gonna restrict used game sales - except for Gamestop. But no more private sales!" That's punishing the wrong guy! And does anyone else remember the BatmanAA/Gamestop thing where they were able to print out codes for customers for the "buy new" DLC when buying used copies? Policies like DLC-codes for new copies were made to battle used game sales and then the fucking publishers help Gamestop undermine those very policies. Madness.

I couldn't agree more. If GameStop is so terrible, why does nearly every publisher have pre-order bonus DLC exclusive to the company? Wouldn't it be reasonable to simply offer the launch DLC for free on XBL/PSN for say 10-14 days after initial release?

raphanum

That's a great way to fuck over the consumer who wants to trade in that $60 game they just finished in a weekend and were hoping to put towards something else.

Sorry about that Aliens CM not being what the developer showed. Hold onto it for another 60 days and then we can take it for you. Of course by then the value will nosedive.

I didn't suggest disallowing trade-ins of new games from customers. I simply suggested that gamestop should delay stocking said used copies on their shelves within a short period after release.

espher

I don't have a problem with the fact Gamestop/ebgames deal in used games.

I have a problem with the way they deal in used games.

If concern for employees is a factor in where you take your business, Amazon isn't a great choice either. Their warehouse workers work in pretty terrible conditions I've heard.

I just want good service, honestly.
I did the preorder thing because the old employees were great, and with my preorders, they didn't have to deal with that shit for a day.

btkadams

it's sort of off-topic, but i liked the dev's comment about wanting games that are a couple hours (like journey). it would actually be cool to have more experiences that are like that, the typical movie length. hopefully, they'd be cheaper than the $15 that journey released at, or at least be a bit more replayable.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Sorry, it's in print. My shipping hub in Memphis has over 130 copies in stock for about $16 wholesale. Best Buy doesn't sell new copies of Final Fantasy X on PS2 either, but that doesn't mean it's no longer in print. Hell, Final Fantasy 9 on PS ONE is still in print.

Amazing that all of these old games are still being printed and readily available at this shipping hub. Even PSone games still being printed by Sony for sale at the hub!

GameStop has done shady things with me numerous times. 2 times so far they have tried to not give me pre-order bonuses saying "there weren't any left and they were first come first serve." The last time, after arguing with the guy at the register for a few minutes, the manager came out and I explained the situation. He said that it wasn't possible to get another and they were very sorry. I blew up and said if I had ordered off amazon I sure as hell would have gotten my bonus no matter what.

They got me one in a few hours. Grimey people.

They've also tried the "buy the used version" thing with me, and I tell them every time I'm not interested. Hate how they always bug you about the rewards card and reserving games too, such retail bull shit.

Haven't bought anything at GameStop in a while. I just use amazon now.

GorillaJu

The divide between "good" and "bad" here isn't Xbox One forced DRM and anti-used, nor is it to not combat Gamestop's practices at all.

The solution is for Microsoft and Sony to continue to entice customers into going all-digital, by making a digital library a more compelling proposition. They're on the way there, now, with PS+ giving many people the same discount you'd get from buying a used game. Getting people on board with the service introduces them to the benefits of a digital library, and so long as the benefits continue to increase, more and more people will primarily buy their games digitally.

I'm already heading toward all-digital, though we're still a long way off as a whole. With the PS4, I don't plan to buy any new games at retail, though I'm sure I'll pick some up on bargain bin prices when the opportunity arises.

btkadams

Sorry, it's in print. My shipping hub in Memphis has over 130 copies in stock for about $16 wholesale. Best Buy doesn't sell new copies of Final Fantasy X on PS2 either, but that doesn't mean it's no longer in print. Hell, Final Fantasy 9 on PS ONE is still in print.

what store are you talking about? i'm confused.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I didn't suggest disallowing trade-ins of new games from customers. I simply suggested that gamestop should delay stocking said used copies on their shelves within a short period after release.

Oh that's a good one. Gamestop can pay a customer for their preplayed game, and then sit on it for two months while the value goes down. Talk about a win win situation!

raphanum

What I'd really like to find out is how many people who regularly trade-in and buy used actually put that money toward new copies?

But we were feeling sorry for GameStop when xbox one wasn't going to play used games.....
I wasn't feeling sorry for GameStop, I was acting out of my own self interests. GameStop probably would have done OK, it's me being able to sell games through other channels that would have gotten fucked.

Petrae

It's fair to criticize GameStop's policies. In some stores, it can feel like harassment or running some sort of unnecessary gauntlet once you get to the register. New vs used, PowerUp Card, disc replacement guarantee, pre-orders, ensuring the game given is the right one, etc. There's a location right near my home that's potentially the worst GS location on the planet and serves as an example of all that is wrong with the chain.

Having said that, any video game-specific store has to have the same used game sales focus as GameStop does. In my experience locally, many of the used game prices at non-GameStop stores are very similar to GameStop numbers. The margin that used games and these prices provide provides most of the revenue that keeps any of these stores in business. Usually the overall experience is better-- with fewer pressure sales tactics in place and a greater focus on customer service to secure repeat business-- but many other similarities remain.

I understand the push for online commerce, but I personally dislike it. I'm a dinosaur; I prefer going into a store, picking my item(s), and walking out to play same day. No shipping expenses or nightmares, no waiting three days for a return/replacement, zero chance of not getting an item because the seller flakes out or forgets.

The constant whining and griping by developers (and some publishers) over used games is unfortunate. Never saw it for decades. This past console generation really began this War on Used Games, and it's been weird seeing a part of the video game economy that I've taken part in since I was in grade school fall under attack. Perhaps developers and publishers only complained off the record before the proliferation of the World Wide Web and the explosion of gaming press, where there always has to be something new for "news" every day... but now it's prevalent. It's disconcerting, too. I never used to have questions about buying used games before the PS3/360 generation.

It's all unfortunate, and, honestly, it plays a role in why I won't be buying new consoles as this new generation gets underway. Being punished as a consumer because I don't always buy new and not liking this inexorable push towards digital content is enough for me to cash in my chips and retire to Retroland.

It's easy to hate a store, or any place really, when people only discuss their bad visits. I'll never get this disproportionate amount of fervor some people have against GameStop. Stores are in the business to sell you something. This isn't something only GameStop does. Nearly every business is going to try to motivate you to buy what best helps them. Why else would they exist outside of making money? They're not there to only make game purchasing more convenient for you. That's obviously a big part of what they so, because that leads them to making money. But every business is going to try and offer what would make them more money. I'm not saying you have to like it or be okay with it, but the way people talk make this sound like this is something you'd only get at GameStop.

And some of the more extreme stories are employees being assholes and not following company policy.

Apdiddy

I go to Gamestop regularly and have encountered some decent people working there. There's some that have a genuine love for video games and lament having to push 'trading in games' and lament the biggest selling games having shelf space while lesser-known games and developers flounder. But overall, I find it annoying to constantly see the whole push for trade-ins everywhere I go.

I used to buy more niche games (like NISA, XSEED & Aksys' games) but getting them sealed from Amazon.com is so much better. I quit buying from Gamestop due to their incessant selling 'used games as new' crap they pull.

Has this exact thing ever happen to anyone else? Five dollars off a newish title?

yes its why i stopped going try to buy a new game and i get slid an already open product and they really do try to push it on me. when i wanna pay full price and tear the damn plastic off don't try to stop me. they've even tried to lie at various points about not having fresh titles and only the used ones....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
You know what, if Gamespot is the devil as so many devs and pubs seem to insinuate, then why the hell do they do business with them at all, let alone *shower* them in fucking exclusive pre-order bonus shit.

You can't have it both fucking ways.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The divide between "good" and "bad" here isn't Xbox One forced DRM and anti-used, nor is it to not combat Gamestop's practices at all.

The solution is for Microsoft and Sony to continue to entice customers into going all-digital, by making a digital library a more compelling proposition. They're on the way there, now, with PS+ giving many people the same discount you'd get from buying a used game. Getting people on board with the service introduces them to the benefits of a digital library, and so long as the benefits continue to increase, more and more people will primarily buy their games digitally.

I'm already heading toward all-digital, though we're still a long way off as a whole. With the PS4, I don't plan to buy any new games at retail, though I'm sure I'll pick some up on bargain bin prices when the opportunity arises.

It's going to take some time, and they HAVE to make it worthwhile. With zero manufacturing costs or middle men involved, the prices should NOT be the same as retail. There should be significant discounts, which we don't see.

Another factor is you can't play your digital games on the new hardware. That must change! If I buy a new PC or an iPad I don't suddenly find my old purchases unplayable on the new hardware.

You people are talking about Gamestop like they are some powerful force in this industry. I don't get it. I've never set a foot in a Gamestop and bought/sold something there.
They sold like $1.5 billion in new games last year. I believe they're second only to Walmart in new game sales.

Petrae

Oh that's a good one. Gamestop can pay a customer for their preplayed game, and then sit on it for two months while the value goes down. Talk about a win win situation!

That's pretty much the point. If we're clamoring for GameStop to not sell used copies of new games for a set period of time after release, then GameStop shouldn't accept those games in trade until after the moratorium expires.

Then consumers can be stuck with the game-- and the hit on trade-in value that comes with having to sit on it for 2-4 weeks.

You know what, if Gamespot is the devil as so many devs and pubs seem to insinuate, then why the hell do they do business with them at all, let alone *shower* them in fucking exclusive pre-order bonus shit.

Necessary evil..

Forsythia

"The Last Of Us" is $55 used vs $60 new. $5 off for the used version is pretty standard for very new games at Gamestop in my experience.

People really buy used for that tiny difference? No way I'll pay €55,- for a used game. I can pick up new, sealed games for much less, even on release.

I know not everyone buys online, or knows that they can get new games much cheaper online, but come on, if you really want to save 5 bucks, maybe you shouldn't be buying games at all. Or wait a few months, when the game is €29.99.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If developers have a problem with Gamestop's practices, maybe they should take it up with Gamestop or start a lawsuit. Just don't punish consumers like they were trying to with the Xbone.

Interesting. See, I'm not looking forward to the end of being able to own my own games.

Me neither, that's a much bigger evil than Gamestop IMO.

Iorv3th

Do gamestop employees make commission on used game sales?

No they make no commission on anything at all. Sometimes there will be contests for pre-orders where say Injustice had a contest, the store with the highest pre-order numbers in the region got 2 free copies of the game (wooooo).

That is it. There are some managers though that will not give you hours if you do not have a certain percentage of pre-orders/GPG's/used conversion %.

It's not a set thing across the company but every district is different and every store within that district is different.

There is no push to really cater to the customers and have a positive customer experience. While stores are also 'rated' on their customer feedback surveys it means shit as far as pay/hours go.

Valnen

To encourage people to buy new, and at full price. Seems pretty simple.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I was on the developers/publishers side but now I feel they have no one to blame but themselves. They are the ones who pushed for the pre-order at all cost system we currently have so most sales are front loaded. They are the ones who have not pushed Sony/MS into better digital pricing. They are the ones who give gamestop the best exclusive pre-order bonuses. They are the ones who have pushed for the 60 dollars or bust for basically every single game. They have not even tried at all instead just complain. You don't hear them bitching when people trade in other games to gamestop to ensure a pre-order of their game. Instead of bitching maybe they should try something new but they won't. Give people incentive to purchase new over used or digital over retail. Easy things they could do for free would be to release the digital copy 12:00 am the Friday before the retail release. Give a reasonable discount for the digital version or include the first 6 months of DLC for free with the digital version. Instead the just throw their hands up and just do nothing but bitch. Until they try something new or different I am not going to feel sorry for them.

That's pretty much the point. If we're clamoring for GameStop to not sell used copies of new games for a set period of time after release, then GameStop shouldn't accept those games in trade until after the moratorium expires.

Then consumers can be stuck with the game-- and the hit on trade-in value that comes with having to sit on it for 2-4 weeks.
That makes no sense. Gamestop's advantage is convenience. Telling customers they can't buy their game for a month or two isn't convenient. Those customers won't wait. They'll sell it elsewhere.

Tamanon

Banned
It always did weird me out when I went in to buy a new copy and they kept pushing me to buy a used one for $5 less. I keep having to tell them that I want my money to support the publisher until they stop.

Luckily, most games I buy now are on day 1 so I don't get that hassle.

Petrae

That makes no sense. Gamestop's advantage is convenience. Telling customers they can't buy their game for a month or two isn't convenient. Those customers won't wait. They'll sell it elsewhere.

A moratorium also wouldn't work because it doesn't address other online commerce, like eBay, Amazon, Craiglist, et al.

My point was that, if we're going to even propose this 2-4 week "Don't sell" moratorium to increase sales of new copies out of the gate, GameStop should not take any copies in trade during that window. They can't make any money on games sitting in a drawer, waiting for the green light. When the moratorium ends, accept trades of the title and sell it used as normal.

Doodis

I'm also going all-digital this next gen.

If Microsoft/Sony would just drop their digital price by $10 or so for new releases, it would be incentive enough for a lot of people to skip retail. And if you really love buying/trading the disc, that option's still there.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got an e-mail once saying I'd receive $30 credit for trading in Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii. Realizing way before I even reserved the title that I wasn't going to trade it in it baffled me because they knew what game I bought and told me about a trade-in deal. Granted, games don't resell for very much. I find it mind blowing that they insist you trade games in you recently bought. And like hell I'm trading it in. You can't even find a copy for a decent price anymore.

The problem is not used games. The problem is this huge retailer pushing used games over new copies during the launch period.

It is a shitty situation, but that's how the system has evolved. At least its acknowledged that fucking the customer is a bullshit way to fix things.

Gamestop would have maybe half the stores they have now. The local guys were telling you the truth. The margins are so low on new games and hardware that they couldn't afford the rent in all these strip malls they're located in. It's a fact.

They wouldn't survive. Essentially, dedicated games retail is pretty pointless to enter into without second hand sales being there.

Publishers love selling their stuff through GameStop etc, but give them no incentive whatsoever to push the new copy over the used. GameStop is in it to make money, and new games is not the way to do that
Thanks for your answers, guys.

So, my (somewhat simplistic) understanding is that collectively, this industry used practices that made being a dedicated isolated retailer impossible business wise, which led to the development of used sales on the one hand and the consolidation of specialized retailers into big corporations on the other.

Once both evolutions had taken place and these reselling giants had taken over and started throwing their weight around to optimize their profits, the very same industry started to worry about used games and its own distribution channels (which contributed to develop the market in the first place).

Well, tough titties, lads.

TBH, I have no sympathy for GS, never buy used games and don't care for these stores. But publicly complaining about one of your business partners while doing nothing about it seems crass to me. Not to mention, with people being free to buy or not and all, they're indirectly blaming consumers too.

GQman2121

Banned
They sold like $1.5 billion in new games last year. I believe they're second only to Walmart in new game sales.

And why are they #2? Because of trade ins. It's as if these devs who continually speak out about this issue are completely oblivious to this notion.

If people don't have easy access to resell their property they're not going to buy your 8 hour corridor shooter anyway you fucking dummies.

The consumer would just go to ebay and buy/sell there. That would dramatically affect the bottom line of the largest videogame-specific retail presence in North America. And I promise you that is going to be worse for the poor developers than the bugbear of used games.

GameStop has done shady things with me numerous times. 2 times so far they have tried to not give me pre-order bonuses saying "there weren't any left and they were first come first serve." The last time, after arguing with the guy at the register for a few minutes, the manager came out and I explained the situation. He said that it wasn't possible to get another and they were very sorry. I blew up and said if I had ordered off amazon I sure as hell would have gotten my bonus no matter what.

They got me one in a few hours. Grimey people.

They've also tried the "buy the used version" thing with me, and I tell them every time I'm not interested. Hate how they always bug you about the rewards card and reserving games too, such retail bull shit.

Haven't bought anything at GameStop in a while. I just use amazon now.
They probably called other stores to see if anybody had any extra they could have and drove to get it for you. How does that make them "grimey people"? Physical products on reserves is first cone first serve. There's not a lot the employees can do about that. If they have 20 preorders but only 15 preorder hats, there isn't a lot the guy behind the counter can do. It's not like the employees decide how many bonus products they get.

You could fix your issues by simply saying "I'm not interested in any extra offers. I just want this game". It's not really absurd for a store to offer you something, and they can't really keep a log of who always says yes or no.

Sooooo... stop selling games to gamestop in the first place.

Devs and pubs would be idiots to do that. Despite GameStop's aggressive used games policy...a lot of the NEW sales also come from consumers purchasing their games at GS. Publishers don't want that revenue stream to be threatened.

I don't like GameStop and feel they are a shady business, but it is developers and publishers' own fault that they are in the position they are today. Want more people to buy new?

- Then MSRPs of retail games need to come down...WAY down. $30-$40 tops.
- Then they need to push and advertise digital way more. Digital copies need to cost at least $10 less than physical. But of course they won't do that because that will piss off GS, Amazon, etc...and deep down they want to keep those retailers happy.
- Then they need to make better games and give consumers incentive to buy them new keep them and replay them. In a way that doesn't anger consumers. That means no online passes, no tacked-on multiplayer, no multiplayer-only games, no shoehorned-in social networking, and so on. This may not be an easy task. Also note that some gamers will sell games period after they've finished them or are otherwise done with them...no matter how good the game is.
- Then they need better management and need to get development and marketing budgets lowered, ideally without noticeably sacrificing the quality of the game or its high-end graphics. I understand that this may not be an easy task.

The solutions are obvious. Publishers and devs are afraid of exploring the first two points because a massive part of their market buys their games retail, and that will probably continue to be the case for awhile longer. Places such as GameStop have leverage. Pubs have dug themselves a deep hole.

obligatory

Gamestop provides a quick and easy way to swap games. You're ultimately paying for that ease of use with lower trade value.

Want to get away from retail? Give incentives to digital purchasers, set up your own trade-in programs, etc.

(I haven't stepped into a GS in 5 years).

Sold out online

Exactly.

Frankly the games industry needs to take a serious look at itself, what it produces and the profits they expect from that production. I think we've hit the fever pitch of blaming consumers and game stop and everything else without developers really turning the focus inward to see what the issue is. CEOs still want to drive Ferrari's so they're going to continue to blame their customers, treat them like thieves, or blame game stop.

And all that game these devs are talking about how shitty game stop is has not stopped them from continuing to sell their games to Gamestop. And the reason, the ones the developers aren't talking about, is that they NEED places like Gamestop to push their product. Maybe Devs need to examine their relationship with retailers and, if they have a problem with the service that these retailers are providing then they can setup an alternative.

And frankly, I think this guy really should re-examine what he thinks Exploitative means. I fucking hate to defend Gamestop because they're a shit company but gamestop provides a service that people use to offload their games and then buy new ones. They have a store credit system, and incentives to do trade ins that boost their own business. You know who is exploitative? Pay day loans. The banks that were selling dreams to people by manipulating math to make people believe they could buy homes they couldn't afford. That shit is exploitative. Gamestop providing a service that millions of people use, and seem to like, is not exploitative. The argument can be made that you can get more else where, but as we've seen, a lot of people don't want to go through that hassle so they go to Gamestop. If people don't like Gamestop and think they're exploitative then stop going there. The same people that are screaming this are going to the stores and buying product from them. Stop doing it. Cause them some financial hurt. Don't bitch about it while you're walking into the store then bitch when you're walking out, after your wallet has been lightened.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe he should check with his sales department and find out how just how many pre-orders and sales of new copies that Gamestop is responsible for before talking shit. I'd wager it's well over half of what's sold in North America.

Petrae

The consumer would just go to ebay and buy/sell there. That would dramatically affect the bottom line of the largest videogame-specific retail presence in North America. And I promise you that is going to be worse for the poor developers than the bugbear of used games.

Exactly. As I mentioned earlier, any proposed moratorium would be undermined by sellers on eBay, Craiglist, and even classified ads. Without some sort of online check system to ensure that no used copy changing hands in the moratorium would work (which isn't gonna happen), the moratorium would be pointless.

Consumers will not wait to trade in games unless there are universal restrictions set to where they simply cannot-- and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

And why are they #2? Because of trade ins. It's as if these devs who continually speak out about this issue are completely oblivious to this notion.

If people don't have easy access to resell their property they're not going to buy your 8 hour corridor shooter anyway you fucking dummies.
Uhh do you know how big and prevalent Wal Marts are?

FLAguy954

Gamestop provides a valuable service but they aren't alone. Amazon and Best Buy do the same thing. When people bitch about Gamestop, what they really hate is consumer rights.

Why do we always have to change the way we give them money instead of them changing the way they do business?

Devs need to look at how they are spending money making their games before judging how other companies do their business.

I read this as:

Abloo-abloo-abloo... We want to be the ones exploiting the consumer...

All of these. Why the fuck do developers keep bitching and moaning about how their outdated money management woes are somehow the fault of GameStop (and other used game outlets)?

VanWinkle

I buy used games all the time at Gamestop. But they're only the older games that are still weirdly expensive or hard to find. For instance, Prince of Persia 2008 is $17 at Amazon. I would never buy it at that price, but a couple days ago I found it used at Gamestop for $2.79. These are the things I get. If a game is new or close to new, I always buy it new. That's where the problem lies. Games are just often too expensive and a lot of people can't afford it. It's rough paying $60 for some of the games I've bought.

If we can get some more variable pricing, I think the people will have less incentive to buy used. Until that time comes, they need to stop blaming Gamestop and start thinking about their own business models.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don't think some people realize that all of those used games on Gamestop's shelves came from consumers who no longer wanted them.
And by all means, the argument that Gamestop sells used copies for only $1-$5 less than new, should by all means work in favor of the publishers. Why wouldn't you buy new then right?

unchained

Banned
What would those be? More pre-order bonuses? Online-passes? Tacked on mulitplayer?

Digital, free to play, Pc, mobile. Hell even with the new consoles they can make the game online only. The problem is they are stuck in the $60 single player retail mindset. If that's the playground you want to play fine but that comes with it's own set of rules so be it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No they won't. You or I might, but the average person who does business with GS has no interest in doing any legwork. The ease of access is what allows GS to function.

Ease of access and a consumer not wanting to think beyond the "it's just a video game" mentality. It's like buying a loaf of bread at a gas station.

Top Bottom