• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn: "Well on our way" to meeting sales expectations for The Order: 1886

Nesther

Game is amazing rental-material, platted it in a single day. Can't imagine that many people bought it and those who did probably sold it back right away. That surely affects sales?

Also are game returns possible? Correct me if I'm wrong but once the wrapper has been opened you can't return it, right? Otherwise that might have massively affected sales.

yurinka

Then why aren't we getting a sequel?
Who said we aren't? Make sure we will. Despite the haters, the game did many things very well, the story made very clear that it was open for for sequels and if it does sell more or less as expected... make sure there will be a sequel.

They can alternate other multiplatform projects with The Order sequels, or even other teams can make it.
Bullshit.

We saw the numbers.
Where are the numbers? Do you know how many copies did it sell worldwide both in physical, digital and bundled?

Those expectations would have to be pretty low because it didn't chart well on either NPD or foreign charts
As I remember it was in good chart position in European countries, Sony's main market.

With RAD going independent, 10 bucks says the franchise gets kicked off to Sony Bend or some other first party dev, and future installments dial back the interactive movie angle in favor of a multiplayer action focus.

I doubt we ever see a sequel for this game. It sold poorly and the brand is tarnished by poor critic reviews and poor reception by consumers. Average gamers obviously did not like it, the game had no legs at all.

Sayers

npGhwnb.gif

As I remember it was in good chart position in European countries, Sony's main market.

You are mis remembering then. It debuted ok in some markets and then disappeared. This is nice PR but there is no evidence the game performed well at retail at all

I got some kind of theory.

Perhaps preproduction costs were not that high. They spend quite some time making it, but perhaps it wasnt too costly at beginning making the engine? This would mean Order 1886 wouldnt need crazy high sales to meet expectations.

I probably sat here for at least a few minutes watching this gif, over and over again. I love it...

On a serious note, does anyone know how many copies they sold of The Order?

I remember Cream gave us sell through according to NPD at some point after launch month and it was pretty darn low

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They game had a LOT wrong with it, but I actually didn't mind it when you...you know, got to play it. I think the foundation is there for a good sequel. It depends whether Sony thinks the same and green lights it.

ShinMaruku

The order is dead. This is all just spin. Could be a great franchise but sometimes a bad idea must explode for quality to rise. They deserve failure for saying filmic.

Betty

Banned
The order is dead. This is all just spin. Could be a great franchise but sometimes a bad idea must explode for quality to rise. They deserve failure for saying filmic.

They deserve failure for making a middling game with a terrible story.

EGM1966

Sounds PR for "wasn't a hit but won't end up a total disaster" to me. I could see it - particularly at lower price points - eventually chalking up a decent number in total units and maybe a small profit, but I struggle to believe the game was anywhere near what they must have been hoping in terms of rate of sale and full price sales. It just charted too weakly like everywhere.

I mean it's only a partial view of market but you look at UK Amazon for 2015 total sales and The Witcher 3 (PS4) is at number 1 (which BTW is surely an amazing result but that's another thing), Bloodborne is at number 8, Dying Light (PS4) is at number 9 and The Order is at number 21. I can't believe trends would be much different elsewhere nor much better (and probably worse in some places).

It's clearly a fair bit below other titles on PS4 for the year, despite longer on the market that some of them, and the price dropped pretty quickly too for the game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
They deserve failure for making a middling game with a terrible story.

That actual game part of it wasn't bad though. Werewolf encounters were shit, but the gameplay itself was solid. They just flat out didn't let you interact with the damn thing enough. That was its biggest flaw.

KORNdoggy

It sure as hell doesn't seem like it if that thread about RaD getting a new CEO is anything to go by.

Just because they're aiming to self publish, doesn't mean they don't have a sequel to the order set. Its like how insomniac went multiplat but are still working on a new ratchet. i'd imagine a new order is on the cards tbh. But its far too early to be announcing that.

That seems like a roundabout way of saying it hasn't met expectations but might in the future.

Indeed. Sony would've said something by now if sales were anything to brag about. At this point it got all the full price sales it will ever get and they'll reach whatever milestone they're aiming for thanks to discounts and price drops.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
That actual game part of it wasn't bad though. Werewolf encounters were shit, but the gameplay itself was solid. They just flat out didn't let you interact with the damn thing enough. That was its biggest flaw.

There was also the problem of there being about 3 hours of actual gameplay.

...I don't know what you're trying to prove comparing the Order 1886 to one of the biggest bombs of this gen, but if it makes you feel better, more power to you
At the very least it was just some observation I remembered.

Actually it was just the attitute of lolnosalesnumbersitstillsucks, when in relation to Japan sales it didnt do "lol"-levels worthy. Wouldnt lol-worthy be below 10k or 5k? Or is this just good old Japan is already dead mentality.

I really shouldnt try to prove anything however, since this game was not designed well. It just looks like The Order 1886 didnt too badly sales WISE, yet people seem to diss it sales. Or was this game just SO bad it didnt deserve any sales?

Kysen

Well on their way, didn't this game come out months ago? They have to be talking about units because the price has hit rock bottom.

Then why aren't we getting a sequel?
Then why aren't we getting DLC or a simple thing like chapter selection with the numer of collectibles you've found and the number you still have to find in that chapter. And skippable cutscenes. Who wants to buy games from devs who show no love to the people who actually liked the game?

Endo Punk

Sounds like an IP you would continue as a small download episodic game not as a AAA $30 million game. Realistically and historically the game is done and dead. Buried next to Lair, Heavenly Sword and Knack.

barit

Almost every Sony game on PS4 got their 1m milestone PR announcement asap except The Order (and DriveClub?). Think about it. :p

So no I´m not confident that The Order met sales expectations or why is Sony so hush-hush about it? Is it to embarrassing for them or what?

Cleve

Considering that most games make the vast majority of their revenue in the first month or two of release, if they're not most of the way to meeting their expectations by now then they'll never get there.

I think it'll limp there eventually, either as a pack in download code, or some other promotion. They'll want it to sell X units regardless. I have no doubt they'll have to make some concessions to reach that though.

I don't believe this. Sony has had NOTHING good to say about The Order 1886. In fact they have not said anything that I can remember since launch.

All this RaD news makes me a sad panda, I really liked the game despite it's faults. Maybe I'm just sick to death of open-world games.

Me too. I acknowledge the flaws but liked it regardless. There are a number of easily-fixed problems which would result in a vastly improved sequel, so I'd really like RAD to get another chance.

Top Bottom