• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn: "Well on our way" to meeting sales expectations for The Order: 1886

No his malfeasance is far more severe than that.

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be nothing more than a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. I ask you, my fellow GAFers, how is that good?

If I took a shit on a peice of paper and labeled it art, would you stop others from paying to see my "art" or from seeing it yourself?

IvorB

Good. I'm glad the game is doing well despite all the weird hate. It's certainly on my shopping list for the near future.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Fuck yes.

I bought th eLimited Edition for this game during the credits rolling on my play though.

Never done that before, but this game NEEDS and deserves a sequel.

I liked the game. Wasn't a big fan of the widescreen, black boxes on the top and bottom and it was a little too QTE heavy sometimes, but I liked the atmosphere, setting, gun combat and graphics. I'd buy a sequel.

thelastword

Banned
Was just querying about that in the other thread, good to know that they're almost there. I hope we get a sequel and we at least get to see what RAD does with another try at the genre.

i-Lo

Well if it gets a sequel it needs to do a lot more in the gameplay department. If KZ2 can happen at the hands of the original developers I wouldn't put it past RAD.

This is some pretty deep spin-doctoring. As was mentioned, the game has been out for several months and hasn't met its sales expectations. DOA.

DaveC19

Neo Member
No his malfeasance is far more severe than that.

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be nothing more than a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. I ask you, my fellow GAFers, how is that good?

Art. The Mona Lisa is art too. The graphics are great and shows off what the PS4 is capable of when you cut 1/4 of the screen resolution out. The Order it isn't much of a game though which is the problem. It is short, insanely linear, and lacking much gameplay. QTEs for boss fights? That is simply lazy coding. You could write the code for that with simple if-then statements in BASIC. QTEs in general are lazy cop-outs in place of real AI. It takes WORK to do AI that reacts to players movements, tracks and attacks the player, calculates trajectories etc.

The Order seems like a demo for a real game, hopefully they will make a sequel and replace the QTEs with gameplay elements and make it a respectable length. It does have potential.

Elios83

Unfortunately this is just a spin to say that the game has not met expectations sales wise but they think eventually there's a chance it could.
Also we don't know what kind of expectations they're talking about....if they're talking about just breaking even it would be plain bad.
So yeah things didn't go well with this game otherwise they would be working on the planned sequel instead of going multiplatform.

Servbot24

Banned
Why are people so eager to doubt them?

If they say they're gonna hit their mark, fine, they'll hit their mark. Not really my concern either way.

Percy told me it was selling like gangbusters on amazon though.

SNq07.gif
SNq07.gif
SNq07.gif

Three

Why are people so eager to doubt them?

If they say they're gonna hit their mark, fine, they'll hit their mark. Not really my concern either way.

Is their mark a given number or do they predict some kind of sales rate? If the latter then you can't really be "on your way to" meeting an expectation you either met it or didn't. If it's just a given number of copies sold then you're always "on your way". The statement is ultimately fluff, only they knew if it truly sold as expected or not.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oh come on, you can see or read the "hate" everywhere. Especially for Heavy Rain.
Remember these times, back then, when Heavy Rain launched? The same goes for Beyond: Two Souls.
Uncharted and TLOU received the same hate. Cinematic experiences in games are ruining the industry or TLOU being a somber, interactive movie. TO:1886 was more like Heavy Rain. People wanted it to be a Gear of War clone.
Guess what? The Order: 1886 is a game. It's a videogame. It's a videogame just like Super Mario, Uncharted, Halo, Zelda, etc.! Again: It's a videogame.
If you like this kind of game or not, is a different question.

Agree! But it's one of the reasons why it got so much hate. I saw these comments everywhere (not talking about Gaf. Especially on Twitter, Facebook and so on).

And yes, ND are the kings here :)

Okay, but then on the flip side you had people championing TWD Season 1 as game of the year. 100 threads on how great TLOU of is, several threads praising Life is Strange, several people saying Bioshock Infinite would be better with less shooting and several people including me defend Heavy Rain.

People piled on The Order because they acted overly secretive about the game, praised features that didn't get a lot of attention come release and was a generally (below?) average game. I remember tons of people being critical since reveal and people were defending the games hard back then saying RAD didn't want to spoil stuff and to wait for Gamescom /E3/etc and when some negative previews cake out, several people even doubted that the previewers played it correctly. This game has the weirdest, overly defensive defense force of anything released in a while. Even Ryse didn't have this many people constantly and consistently defending it to this extent.

Servbot24

Banned
Is their mark a given number or do they predict some kind of sales rate? If the latter then you can't really be "on your way to" meeting an expectation you either met it or didn't. If it's just a given number of copies sold then you're always "on your way". The statement is ultimately fluff, only they knew if it truly sold as expected or not.

I would assume it's a set number.

And that's exactly right, only they know. It's only their business. If they feel the need to make false proclamations about the sales, well that's them being insecure. I don't really care if they feel insecure. It's their burden to deal with.

Not that I'm forbidding anyone from caring, just going back to my original question of "Why?"

I purchased the game for full price and don't regret it one bit.

It's still sitting on my shelf ready to be played again when I feel like it :)

Zambayoshi

For the amount of money that Sony must have spent marketing the game, I'm pretty sure Sony would require some big changes to any sequel in order to green-light it. More of the same would likely be seen as too big a risk.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Bought it at full price, and only "played" it for a couple hours. Haven't decided whether or not to finish it. Cool world, beautiful visuals, but such a dull game.

Three

Bought it at full price, and only "played" it for a couple hours. Haven't decided whether or not to finish it. Cool world, beautiful visuals, but such a dull game.

Going by some of the comments you hear on gaf you already should have.

TO:1886 was more like Heavy Rain. People wanted it to be a Gear of War clone.
It was presented as a Gears-esque game from day one, just not a very good one. To the extent that you do anything in The Order, you're either walking through insanely gorgeous environments or engaging in cover-to-cover shoot-outs.

If people got the 'wrong' impression and expected something like Gears, I can't really blame them for making that mistake or for being upset by it afterwards.

That said I walked into it with expectations pretty much cratered, enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, would be hyped for a sequel with cinematic focus and black bars intact, provided RAD signals that they understand what worked in the first game and what didn't.

I would love a sequel, the foundation is there and now they can focus on gameplay.

Bummed this probably won't see another game it was a gorgeous and fun IP IMO.

I understand the hate but I personally enjoyed the ride, if a sequel got greenlit and was longer + had some gameplay mechanics changed i think it could do well. Except the name is kinda tarnished now
The gameplay systems were a mess (controls, cover system, stealth, melee, pacing) and all needed to be changed, how would the foundation be there when they can't get any of the basic gameplay right?

Using the touch pad for shoulder switching is s terrible idea.

Not having a way to remain in cover while moving around a corner made no sense.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I currently playing this game and while it's even better looking than I expected (seriously, the graphics are out of this world) I am baffeled by the thought that either ROD or Sony expected that this would turn out well. Except from a few shootouts The Order is barely a game. Did they really think there'd be millions of people who buy and enjoy this? For full price? Why? I don't get it. It's like the biggest idiots ever where making the calls here.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
If I took a shit on a peice of paper and labeled it art, would you stop others from paying to see my "art" or from seeing it yourself?

Don't take the bait.
It was presented as a Gears-esque game from day one, just not a very good one. To the extent that you do anything in The Order, you're either walking through insanely gorgeous environments or engaging in cover-to-cover shoot-outs.

If people got the 'wrong' impression and expected something like Gears, I can't really blame them for making that mistake or for being upset by it afterwards.

That said I walked into it with expectations pretty much cratered, enjoyed it far more than I thought I would, would be hyped for a sequel with cinematic focus and black bars intact, provided RAD signals that they understand what worked in the first game and what didn't.

Exactly. Just shit game direction. All things point to the IP being shelved like Heavenly Sword.

Shame, the guys at RAD can make a sweet looking, playing game, but they need a creative director that knows he's making a game.

ShinMaruku

First issue this game was they did terribly with managing expectations. From they said 'filmic' they should have known they stepped on a mine but they bulled on. Second landmine they did was their defense of the product. It should be expected that this game would get sniped. Hell Destiny gets sniped and it's game systems are solid, but like this game terrible expectation management and a really flawed premise.

However we can say it not being made a sequel is all negative if a lesson is learned and nobody else makes those mistakes.

chemicals

This is good for the industry. There is absolutely a place for linear games. Not every game can be huge and packed with 10 different game engines like assassin's creed.. And that is a great thing. Some studios just dont have the freaking money to throw at a huge open world game.

The flaws of the game are well documented but Galahad is a great character and I love the note the game ends on so I would definitely be interested in a sequel.

I still look forward to playing this game, but with Canadian game prices being ridiculous it's sadly one that i'll have to hold off on until it drops to $20.

Glad they are close to meeting their sales expectations though because, well, diversity in games is always a good thing.

"While we would love to share with you how well The Order: 1886 has performed since it release, those are numbers that only Sony can divulge," he said in a new interview with Game Informer.

Interesting. You would think if the game was performing well Sony would have said something. Every exclusive first or second party title that has done well Sony has announced numbers for when they hit at least 1 million copies. Shadowsfall, Bloodborne, Second Son. One would think that if this title was truly a million plus seller Sony would have said something. This is definitely not a title that they would wait until an E3 to announce its performance, so something seems off.

That being said, I would love a sequel. Well, I call it a sequel, but what I mean is the back 2/3rds of the game that The Order should have been. I enjoyed my time with it, but it really felt like a rushed prologue.

I doubt this game sold well. Not enough for a sequel. There's been too many ingredients in this cake that say it didn't do well. Massive media outlets scoring the game badly, tons of used copies inside of shops very soon after release, and falling off NPD pretty quickly, and RAD going multi platform, this all doesn't make for a game that sold good numbers. Best of luck to them for their next game but the gaming community is already using caution when you mention their names.

tuna_love

Banned
This is good for the industry. There is absolutely a place for linear games. Not every game can be huge and packed with 10 different game engines like assassin's creed.. And that is a great thing. Some studios just dont have the freaking money to throw at a huge open world game.
Why would assassins creed have 10 game engines?

this game cost, what, 40+ million to produce? that seems like quite a bit of money.

DaveC19

Neo Member

If you already played it for a couple of hours you have almost beat it! Just play one more hour and you will see the end credits roll..

The controls were great.
No they weren't, you can't even remain in cover around an object, you can't switch shoulders while aiming without taking one of the thumbs off the sticks, which was ridiculous, it's like they haven't played a single third person shooter and decided to reinvent the wheel. Stealth only works in stealth sections, they made melee attacks and stealth kills into fucking cutscenes.

These are people who just don't get what makes a good third person shooter.

Top Bottom