• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn: "Well on our way" to meeting sales expectations for The Order: 1886

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The game gets an insane amount of hate.

I think it's awesome. The potential for the franchise has me very excited to see where they go next.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
There was a good team working on The Order?

The good teams are busy right now.

limping to the finish line eh?

Setting the bar low, tripping, breaking an ankle, and then meandering to the bar to lob over.

I see the snark brigade is still out to shit on the game and the devs

This forum can be nasty sometimes.

OT:

I hope they cherish a second chance if their granted one, and rethink their direction because their tech/art departments are top shelf.

I don't see why Sony would have another studio work on this. It's very clearly RAD's baby. Considering it didn't blow up the charts why wouldn't they just have another studio create something new? It doesn't seem like that valuable of a franchise, if it were Sony could have worked something out with rad to keep it going. Sadly this will likely find its place alongside other long lost IPs like heavenly sword, laid, star/Warhawk, ect...

Doesn't seem like a game with legs, so if they haven't met their sales target by now....

This is what I was thinking. The initial sales boom is long since past.

This would probably be a great free game for PS Plus members and/or pack-in, it's such a great looking game that it's well suited as a promotion tool for Playstation.

People are insulting RAD now? Jesus Christ this forum can be petty

So you didn't like their vision for the game? Ok, fine. No need to trash a very talented development team

People are insulting RAD now? Jesus Christ this forum can be petty

So you didn't like their vision for the game? Ok, fine. No need to trash a very talented development team

"Cinematic games are kiling ma gamey games!!!!" Teh evil!

All this hate is getting funnier and funnier. Doesn't matter if it's a gaming board or twitter/facebook.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

All this hate is getting funnier and funnier. Doesn't matter if it's a gaming board or twitter/facebook.

show me where somebody said that. the game was fundamentally piss poor almost across the board. cinematic games can be great, this one was absolute garbage. the last of us and uncharted are both unbelievable cinematic experiences and almost universally loved from both critics and fans. heavy rain also had a very large fan base. Why don't we see as much hate in those threads? this argument is tired and lazy, the game earned the criticism fair and square.

Endo Punk

I don't think cinematic games tag need to be dragged through mud to defend The Order. Love cinematic games but imo this one is not a good example of it being done right. One simply needs to look at ND (RAD's influence) to see how awesome cinematic games can be.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
show me where somebody said that. the game was fundamentally piss poor almost across the board. cinematic games can be great, this one was absolute garbage. the last of us and uncharted are both unbelievable cinematic experiences and almost universally loved from both critics and fans. heavy rain also had a very large fan base. Why don't we see as much hate in those threads? this argument is tired and lazy, the game earned the criticism fair and square.

It's your opinion and all but your post is filled with hyperbole.

The game was disappointing given the potential.

Your post is a good example of vicious, destructive criticism.

It's possible that another of Sonys studios could pick up the IP, having an already established world with already created assets saves alot of time and money.

With that being said, i wouldnt get your hopes up.

Those are number for only NA, the UK and Japan.

There's very little other stats from other places and the current stats are from major places anyway. Sony isn't going to release digital sales and nobody else will either. I extremely doubt that it matters at all what the numbers are, because the game most likely still bombed regardless( considering they are making other multiplatform games, and not hinting at a sequel it seems unless Sony decides to do it, but I bet it won't be on the original engine since RAD doesn't seem to work for them now.). If I had to guess including other places, digital, and bundles it is probably closer to 500-800k by now.

Who says we aren't? Lol

Ready at Dawn is the developer, they arent making it. Sony isnt working with Ready at Dawn anymore because of the performance of the first game.

This is a pretty obvious conclusion to jump too. Maybe one of Sonys smaller studios like Cambridge could take a look at it, but i doubt it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That actual game part of it wasn't bad though. Werewolf encounters were shit, but the gameplay itself was solid. They just flat out didn't let you interact with the damn thing enough. That was its biggest flaw.

It most certainly was. The game has absolute bottom of the barrel encounter design. It is so middling that it is almost funny.

There's very little other stats from other places and the current stats are from major places anyway. Sony isn't going to release digital sales and nobody else will either. I extremely doubt that it matters at all what the numbers are, because the game most likely still bombed regardless( considering they are making other multiplatform games, and not hinting at a sequel it seems). If I had to guess including other places, digital, and bundles it is probably closer to 500-800k by now.

So we didn't actually saw the numbers.

That's what I was getting at we don't know anything it's just a guess.

Ready at Dawn is the developer, they arent making it. Sony isnt working with Ready at Dawn anymore because of the performance of the first game.

This is a pretty obvious conclusion to jump too. Maybe one of Sonys smaller studios like Cambridge could take a look at it, but i doubt it.

Where was this stated? I could see it being true, but no one said it.

Endo Punk

Typically you want to distance yourself from a critical disaster as much as possible. You don't want that stench on you.

That's what I got from their silence too especially next to the praise they have been giving to bloodborne and mentioning its sales milestone.

So we didn't actually saw the numbers.

That's what I was getting at we don't know anything it's just a guess.

We do know something . If the UK and US isn't that high depending on the game, then it is most likely not high anywhere else, also if it did sell well there would be PR about more, and the statement in the interview wouldn't be slightly vague. If they hadn't reached the sales expectations now they most likely won't in the near future or far maybe.

Oh come on, you can see or read the "hate" everywhere. Especially for Heavy Rain.
Remember these times, back then, when Heavy Rain launched? The same goes for Beyond: Two Souls.
Uncharted and TLOU received the same hate. Cinematic experiences in games are ruining the industry or TLOU being a somber, interactive movie. TO:1886 was more like Heavy Rain. People wanted it to be a Gear of War clone.
Guess what? The Order: 1886 is a game. It's a videogame. It's a videogame just like Super Mario, Uncharted, Halo, Zelda, etc.! Again: It's a videogame.
If you like this kind of game or not, is a different question.

I don't think cinematic games tag need to be dragged through mud to defend The Order. Love cinematic games but imo this one is not a good example of it being done right. One simply needs to look at ND (RAD's influence) to see how awesome cinematic games can be.
Agree! But it's one of the reasons why it got so much hate. I saw these comments everywhere (not talking about Gaf. Especially on Twitter, Facebook and so on).

And yes, ND are the kings here :)

KorrZ

Yeah... It's been almost 4 months since release. Not very many games have that long of a strong sales push so if this hasn't reached expectations by now then it likely won't.

It might meet the sales #s goal at a certain point...with heavily discounted copies.

I got some kind of theory.

Perhaps preproduction costs were not that high. They spend quite some time making it, but perhaps it wasnt too costly at beginning making the engine? This would mean Order 1886 wouldnt need crazy high sales to meet expectations.

Well, they saved on content.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Then you should play Wolfenstein, or the even $20 expansion with more content.

There are actual good games to choose from.

Wolfenstein didn't really do much for me, I think my expectations were too high after it's reception on GAF.

SmokyDave

Given the front loaded nature of games sales, and the fact this game is a 'one and done then trade it in' title, I'm going to say it won't meet expectations.

danm999

If they didn't meet that frontloaded window of sales expectations I doubt they ever will.

Gotta imagine it's not just about hitting a specific number of units moved, but how they were moved. Full price early sales likely mean a lot more than pack in or vastly reduced in price sales. But those last two types of sales is all that is likely to happen from this point.

OT:

I hope they cherish a second chance if their granted one, and rethink their direction because their tech/art departments are top shelf.

I was joking about how it seemed to be underwhelming to a lot of people. I wasn't shitting on the game for everything it was, as it is on a graphical level damn fine looking, or said the devs were terrible people or anything. I am sure RAD can learn from it and make a better game, they did make Daxter after all.

Sorry if I hurt your video game, or something. I wouldn't make blanket assumptions about people all the time.

All this RaD news makes me a sad panda, I really liked the game despite it's faults. Maybe I'm just sick to death of open-world games.

Then you should play Wolfenstein, or the even $20 expansion with more content.

There are actual good games to choose from.

Wolfenstein didn't really do much for me, I think my expectations were too high after it's reception on GAF.

You really liked The Order 1886 over the new Wolfenstein. Just interesting to note as to me who's played both feel like they're on opposite sides of quality as shooters. In terms of characters, gameplay, weapons, combat encounters, level design, AI, and storytelling. I feel The Order is quite forgettable while people will still keep on getting into Machinegames' work on Wolfenstein.

People love to pile on this game for some reason. Yeah it likely isn't very good, but lots of games aren't. These guys got some straight up toxic hate for this game.

The game gets an insane amount of hate.

I think it's awesome. The potential for the franchise has me very excited to see where they go next.

It got about as much hate as it deserved.

This game was the prettiest turd I ever bought. I was blown away by the graphics but soo bored playing it that I couldn't even finish it. It still mocks me now in my PS4 digital library. It's great graphics aren't enough to make me want to turn it back on and play it.

I payed full price for a shitty game. If it was $20 I'd have thought, "interesting tech demo, hope to see more from the team." ala MGSV. As it stands I feel like I got ripped off.

wolfhowwl

Banned
It's your opinion and all but your post is filled with hyperbole.

The game was disappointing given the potential.

Your post is a good example of vicious, destructive criticism.

No his malfeasance is far more severe than that.

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be nothing more than a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. I ask you, my fellow GAFers, how is that good?

Akainu

OT:

i'm not shitting on it just commenting on their vague statement.

Top Bottom