• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready at Dawn: "Well on our way" to meeting sales expectations for The Order: 1886

danm999

I mean, even on all consoles and PC, Tomb Raider only got over the line to profitability and the 6 million unit mark after its re-release on new consoles with the Definitive Edition, so it seems a poor comparison all around.

Nuke Soda

I liked the game and looked forward to the sequel, but I accepted the fact that there will never be another Order, RAD should too.

Malcolm9

Good news, hopefully they get the chance to make a sequel.

I really enjoyed The Order, it was like a mixture of a Heavy Rain style game with shooting sections.

A sequel will give them a chance to develop the gameplay elements more, but overall it's a pretty decent experience.

tuna_love

Banned
Good news, hopefully they get the chance to make a sequel.

I really enjoyed The Order, it was like a mixture of a Heavy Rain style game with shooting sections.

A sequel will give them a chance to develop the gameplay elements more, but overall it's a pretty decent experience.
What part is like heavy rain?

What part is like heavy rain?
Maybe the slow walking and looking at objects that are even more pointless? :p

2819949-4415507099-e8ivB.gif

Evilisk

Heavenly Sword eventually sold well too. Not to mention, it got great reviews. Just food for thought.

Best wishes.

And Playstation All Stars eventually hit 1 million and was considered a moderate success too despite bad word of mouth

I'm not saying that it doesn't sound like they're making things sound better than they are in this situation. But it could still happen, not every game is an immediate success

Sounds like an IP you would continue as a small download episodic game not as a AAA $30 million game. Realistically and historically the game is done and dead. Buried next to Lair, Heavenly Sword and Knack.

The only genuinely terrible game you listed is Lair.

Heavenly Sword 2 didn't happen, but it's not because of the reason you posted.

And it's still early to count out a Knack 2. I'd call it dead if we're on PS5 and a sequel never happened.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oh come on, you can see or read the "hate" everywhere. Especially for Heavy Rain.
Remember these times, back then, when Heavy Rain launched? The same goes for Beyond: Two Souls.
Uncharted and TLOU received the same hate. Cinematic experiences in games are ruining the industry or TLOU being a somber, interactive movie. TO:1886 was more like Heavy Rain. People wanted it to be a Gear of War clone.
Guess what? The Order: 1886 is a game. It's a videogame. It's a videogame just like Super Mario, Uncharted, Halo, Zelda, etc.! Again: It's a videogame.
If you like this kind of game or not, is a different question.

Agree! But it's one of the reasons why it got so much hate. I saw these comments everywhere (not talking about Gaf. Especially on Twitter, Facebook and so on).

And yes, ND are the kings here :)

Im sorry youre just wrong. sure if i dig I'll find "hate"... You can do that with literally every form of media ever- films, games, books, etc. however there is a clear and obvious difference between the order and the other games I've listed. add on top of that telltale who are well liked both in media and on the forums. the game showed poorly, starting with the twitch footage, then the lycan chase at e3, to the interviews of putting story first, to the previews digging into the issues with the game.

I'll say this, Im one of the regulars in these threads, mainly because I know I'll see absurd statements, reasoning, and excuses for the hate of this game. at the end of the day the answer is plain and simple the most obvious one- it was a bad game. most people who played agreed, critics agreed, I agreed, get my point? we didn't collectively decided "let's hate this game!" quite the contrary for myself being a sony fan, i was hoping this was one of sonys next big IPs.

ill also add this to what i said earlier. there will never be 100% approval of, period. If you look for any game, great or not, you'll find haters- fanboys, contrarians, hipsters, purists, etc. so sure there is a group who do not like cinematic games... there's also the millions of uc, tlou, david cage games, telltale games, etc that have sold to a very populated fanbase. the order is no exception, it did cinematic gaming bad, which is why it ultimately failed. Its really that simple.

edit- i also think it's ridiculous its got to this, but i guess this is the simplest way to break it down in terms of genre... that being said telltale is dramatically different from tlou and uc. Heavy rain is also very different from those and probably the most unique. You say the order went more heavy rain which i could not disagree with more. the order was meant to be a tps action game with a strong story built around it, heavy rain has unique input and gameplay with branching storylines/decisions the completely alter what and how things happen. your choices in the order, lou, and uc have virtually no impact on the story.

Then you should play Wolfenstein, or the even $20 expansion with more content.

There are actual good games to choose from.

Those 'Search the House for this Tool Before You Can Get Back to Playing the Game' bits? Utter shit.

I slogged through it, but it is not a good game (unless you have nostalgia for cheap 90s throw-backs) and it has a rubbish story. It's as over-rated on here as TO is hated.

pswii60

I'm glad I only rented it. It was like the joke game NeoGAF would make to illustrate all the things that are wrong with modem games.

Okay, but then on the flip side you had people championing TWD Season 1 as game of the year. 100 threads on how great TLOU of is, several threads praising Life is Strange, several people saying Bioshock Infinite would be better with less shooting and several people including me defend Heavy Rain.

People piled on The Order because they acted overly secretive about the game, praised features that didn't get a lot of attention come release and was a generally (below?) average game. I remember tons of people being critical since reveal and people were defending the games hard back then saying RAD didn't want to spoil stuff and to wait for Gamescom /E3/etc and when some negative previews cake out, several people even doubted that the previewers played it correctly. This game has the weirdest, overly defensive defense force of anything released in a while. Even Ryse didn't have this many people constantly and consistently defending it to this extent.
I totally agree with our post here.

And Playstation All Stars eventually hit 1 million and was considered a moderate success too despite bad word of mouth

I'm not saying that it doesn't sound like they're making things sound better than they are in this situation. But it could still happen, not every game is an immediate success

The only genuinely terrible game you listed is Lair.

Heavenly Sword 2 didn't happen, but it's not because of the reason you posted.

And it's still early to count out a Knack 2. I'd call it dead if we're on PS5 and a sequel never happened.

I am no insider or anything, but I have to believe that Playstation All Stars cost an order of magnitude less than The Order (pun not intended). Even then it was also "multiplatform" in the sense that you can get it on the PS3 AND the Vita (despite PS3 to Vita cross buy). I imagine the threshold for success was much less than The Order, not to mention the residual income that came in from DLC.

About the only thing in common is that most likely a chunk of the sales to limp across milestones is coming from discounted product.

As an aside, I wish they would revisit Playstation All Stars on PS4 (and Vita *fingers crossed*). I would like a sequel to Battle that allows for differing rule sets: classic and something akin to Smash (as much as people said it had to be different, I imagine if it was a complete Smash clone it might have done better). Additionally, I would like to see Playstation All Stars as an umbrella. Get the studio that did Sonic Racing Transformed to do a Playstation All Stars Battle Cart (or something like that), for instance.

As an aside, I wish they would revisit Playstation All Stars on PS4 (and Vita *fingers crossed*). I would like a sequel to Battle that allows for differing rule sets: classic and something akin to Smash (as much as people said it had to be different, I imagine if it was a complete Smash clone it might have done better). Additionally, I would like to see Playstation All Stars as an umbrella. Get the studio that did Sonic Racing Transformed to do a Playstation All Stars Battle Cart (or something like that), for instance.

I'd like another too (enjoyed the first game, despite its issues and godawful presentation), and Verendus has said there will be another and it will be 'done properly', so take of that what you will. He does always preface his hints/reveals by saying that things change and projects get cancelled though.

Those 'Search the House for this Tool Before You Can Get Back to Playing the Game' bits? Utter shit.

I slogged through it, but it is not a good game (unless you have nostalgia for cheap 90s throw-backs) and it has a rubbish story. It's as over-rated on here as TO is hated.

haha ok

We do know something . If the UK and US isn't that high depending on the game, then it is most likely not high anywhere else, also if it did sell well there would be PR about more, and the statement in the interview wouldn't be slightly vague. If they hadn't reached the sales expectations now they most likely won't in the near future or far maybe.

No one except Sony and RAD know how much it has sold, that's a fact.

All you are doing is conjecture based on vastly different markets.

Top Bottom