• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready @ Dawn: "Graphic fidelity of The Order 1886 definitely exceeds the trailer"

I swear I've never noticed chromatic abberation in any game I've played. Ever. I didn't even know what it was until GAF. I still never notice it in any game I play, I'm actually dumbfounded how you guys even see that shit lol.

I'm shocked at how many people are doubting Ready At Dawn, they have an extremely good pedigree. As long as they get the shooting mechanics right, they will no doubt make a well-paced AAA experience

I swear I've never noticed chromatic abberation in any game I've played. Ever. I didn't even know what it was until GAF. I still never notice it in any game I play, I'm actually dumbfounded how you guys even see that shit lol.

I can't see screen tearing, my eyes are horrible :-/

It's one of those things you don't notice until you're told about and then wish that you were never told about.

johnny956

I'm shocked at how many people are doubting Ready At Dawn, they have an extremely good pedigree. As long as they get the shooting mechanics right, they will no doubt make a well-paced AAA experience

It has to be really bad for me to notice screen tearing. I think Enslaved for PS3 was the last time I really remembering seeing screen tearing

R_Deckard

Even now after I know about it I never see it. Until someone zooms in to abnormal levels to show it to me lol.

But this is a DESIGN/ARTISTIC CHOICE, take a film like Seven which was shot with a Grainy CA on it as this is the look David Fincher wanted and it is not new Erasorhead did it in the 80's.

Don't think they did "Crap" CA because that is all they could manage, it is the look they are going for, like BF4 has the Michael Bay or even earlier Peter Hyams look of LOADS of Lens flare and some CA... This is where games are the display/render and Framing are all part of the view and experience they are trying to give the player, hence why Cut Scenes in this play in realtime like from the Demo where they pull the Copper out of the Firefight as you drag him the camera zooms in but you keep playing.

Ryse does this in the Execution scenes to get the real FEEL of the scene they force the View (but you can rotate the camera).. Games are getting more film like and with this means more Artistic choice.

I for one am well excited for this game as I think it will be a real watershed moment for this gen...and I think Ryse has some Stupendous Visuals in it, the scenery and Bokeh and CA in that game are really well implemented.

Still think we will get a PS4 event again in February to mark 1 year since and this will be the demo of this and other BIG 1st part stuff.

Yeah, but what's the gameplay like?

Is this generic overly scripted eye-candy? The more they beat their chests about the 'graphical fidelity', the more I feel like the gameplay will have the same levels of depth as modern shooter campaigns.

socialQ

Banned
when the tech steps up, I'm not going to be surprised. The real NEXT GEN only games like killzone SF just look fucking amazing already out the door. I can't wait to see real next gen games.

It sticks out in pictures, not in motion.

Everyone has their achilles heel (unless you think it's a benefit, I certainly do) in viewing graphics.

I am pretty good at identifying everything graphically.

But the one thing, which although I can identify it, doesn't bother me, or I won't notice is tearing. It just doesn't bother me.

if it isn't noticable, why waste processor effort on creating it? Is it something you'll subconsciously absorb as being more 'filmic' because it is mimicking cameras?

The whole point is to mimic lenses, making the game look less real life and more film like. Crysis 3 has CA and until I saw some hardcore graphics guy throwing a fit about it, I didn't even knew it was there. Everybody gonna complain about something.

But the one thing, which although I can identify it, doesn't bother me, or I won't notice is tearing. It just doesn't bother me.

Tearing is the work of the devil, my eyes.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They also created the criminally obscure Hobbit game for GCN, which is easily my favorite Middle Earth game.
Based on the official Nintendo page that was Saffire and not Ready At Dawn.
RAD was founded in 2003, the same year that Hobbit game came out.

I just want a 20 hr experience. If it was purely a shooter I'd settle for less but this seems like a more story driven, adventure shooter. Maybe I'll get stoned to death for saying this but a 10 hr campaign would be highly disappointing.

GameSeeker

In general, I realy like the look of the The Order: 1886. The only part I don't like is the CA (chromatic aberration). As an avid photography buff, I do everything I can to ensure I don't have any CA in any of the pictures I take. CA is caused by an optical DEFECT in the lens and can be removed in post-processing. Most commercial and high end amateur photographers spend thousands of dollars to ensure they buy high quality glass that doesn't have CA defects.

In the Order, they are adding CA as a post processing defect (effect). Some will argue this is an artistic choice, but one I find odd. Adding defects that take GPU cycles that could be better used elsewhere, seems to be a poor tradeoff. Obviously Ready at Dawn will make the game the way they want, but hopefully other studios will avoid wasting GPU cycles on CA.

I just want a 20 hr experience. If it was purely a shooter I'd settle for less but this seems like a more story driven, adventure shooter. Maybe I'll get stoned to death for saying this but a 10 hr campaign would be highly disappointing.
I think your expectations are a little unreasonable to be honest...a lot of production values are going into this game, 20 hours is a huge stretch. I'd definitely love that but...just trying to temper your expectation here.

A length closer to The Last of Us might be more reasonable. That took me around 13 or so hours to finish.

Derrick01

Banned

I have a feeling if this game lasted 20 hours we'd be begging for it to end by hour 12. Given how little priority they're giving the gameplay so far I doubt it could support a game of that length.

shinobi602 said:
A length closer to The Last of Us might be more reasonable. That took me around 13 or so hours to finish.

17 on hard for me. Felt like a perfect length even with the rushed final part.

I think your expectations are a little unreasonable to be honest...a lot of production values are going into this game, 20 hours is a huge stretch. I'd definitely love that but...just trying to temper your expectation here.

Funny, The Last of Us took me nearly exactly 20 hours to beat, so if The Order 1886 is an "adventure-shooter," I wouldn't say that's unreasonable at all, especially considering how long it's apparently been in development. If it's more of an action heavy "asset tour" roller coaster, though, I guess expectations would be more in the 10-15 hour range.

In general, I realy like the look of the The Order: 1886. The only part I don't like is the CA (chromatic aberration). As an avid photography buff, I do everything I can to ensure I don't have any CA in any of the pictures I take. CA is caused by an optical DEFECT in the lens and can be removed in post-processing. Most commercial and high end amateur photographers spend thousands of dollars to ensure they buy high quality glass that doesn't have CA defects.

In the Order, they are adding CA as a post processing defect (effect). Some will argue this is an artistic choice, but one I find odd. Adding defects that take GPU cycles that could be better used elsewhere, seems to be a poor tradeoff. Obviously Ready at Dawn will make the game the way they want, but hopefully other studios will avoid wasting GPU cycles on CA.

You're out of luck, I'm affraid. CA is one of the biggest trends in gaming now. People say it's next-gen's bloom :lol

MADGAME

I would be okay with a 10-ish hour campaign if there were a decent replayability factor, a co-op mode, or multiplayer that doesn't feel tacked on.

daveo42

Banned

Yeah, I don't see it being much more than about 10-12 hours at most. TLoU was about perfect with its length. It took me about 18 hours getting through the first time and another 19 on Survivor.

JJD

Actually they are blessed. Think about it! Lol!

Artex

Banned
The
hospital
part. Felt really off compared to the rest of the game with typical Naughty Dog bullet sponge enemies.

I stealthed that whole part which I was pretty sure was the way it was designed to be played. It was one of my favorite parts.

Oppo

You could say the same thing about lens flares though. They are considered "mistakes" technically, in photography or cinematography. It's just a "mistake" that some people think look cool.

The
hospital
part. Felt really off compared to the rest of the game with typical Naughty Dog bullet sponge enemies.

Which
hospital
?

Because I LOVED the second one
at the end

Some of the best pure gameplay in that game, I played it again and again.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Intentionally degrading image quality is hardly a new idea. Anybody who played Silent Hill with the noise filter off deserves to be fired out of a cannon into the sun.

I still don't know what chromatic abberation is and I have no desire to google it.

Not to go off track but I recently finished Tearaway and I noticed there was some sort of CA before the last level as an interesting effect.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
if it isn't noticable, why waste processor effort on creating it? Is it something you'll subconsciously absorb as being more 'filmic' because it is mimicking cameras?

It's a component of color correction and it will make things look like they were captured with an old lens. It just has to be very carefully applied. Some games do it well, other's terribly. It's very, very little processing power for color correction BTW

I dont think there is multiplayer here according to the GI interview.

Frankly, I wouldn't want them to do it until the sequel.
That wasn't...technically confirmed. They just said something along the lines of 'as of this moment we're focusing on single player'.

DigitalOp

Banned
That wasn't...technically confirmed. They just said something along the lines of 'as of this moment we're focusing on single player'.

Yeah.... At most Co-Op. But a baseline competitive multiplayer mode? Eh......

You know what this game would really benefit from? Horde mode. With those weapons and a huge map, Sounds like hours of fun.

I just want an enjoyable game with no filler. If that means it's 8 hours of awesome, than I'm fine with that. I'd never prefer 8 hours of awesome wrapped in 12 hours of backtracking, etc, just to say it was a 20 hour experience.

Top Bottom