• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real: Beautiful Katamari PS3 canned, Rumor: Wii version in the work

TJ Spyke

Why couldn't the Xbox 360 version be ported to Wii? I remember seeing the 360 screens, and they pretty much looked like the PS2 games (maybe there is some technical issue instead).

Core407

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Who would moneyhat this? As pointed out, this series doesn't sell at all.

It sold well enough for a sequel. I can understand not wanting to do a full blown $20 million sequel, but an original PSN title is probably the price of making a Wii game.

TJ Spyke said:
Why couldn't the Xbox 360 version be ported to Wii? I remember seeing the 360 screens, and they pretty much looked like the PS2 games (maybe there is some technical issue instead).

Personally I would happier if they made it ground up for wii rather than porting the 360 version. That way the controls are likely to be better and the design more suited to the wii's strengths.

Beezy said:
5zdr9mg.gif

Somebody needs to make a gif from Die Hard with a Vengeance where the bomb goes off and all the accountants are looking out the window and eating popcorn.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Nintendo Japan is flexing its new muscles, forcing Namco to cancel Sony products in exchange for access to DS and Wii development. Sony must stop this shit quick. If they lose their main base of power in Japan, it's going to be a long road back to the top.

Duke Togo

CrapSandwich said:
Nintendo Japan is flexing its new muscles, forcing Namco to cancel Sony products in exchange for access to DS and Wii development. Sony must stop this shit quick. If they lose their main base of power in Japan, it's going to be a long road back to the top.
53rsgg1.jpg

Is my sarcasm meter broken today?

Kafel

Banned
Crow-kun said:
The only people who care are on gaf. If it sold like crap on the ps2, it ain't gonna do good on the 360.

On Wii? Maybe? the sheep will follow.
:lol

Nice post history.

DreD

CrapSandwich said:

Sorry, but I think Sony already lost any power they once had in Japan. Sales number speak for themselves. It would take some kind of miracle the reverse the current thread in this part of the world.

the studio ran into some trouble with the port of the game to PlayStation 3

That part sounds like BS to me, the rest seems quite believable.

wsippel

Banned
Crisis said:
If true, that PS3 part doesn't make ANY sense. It's ****ing Katamari Damacy. 1, it's not like it's a demanding game to make, anyway. Even in 720, it's not exactly pushing any game system. 2, it can't possibly be costing that much money to make a version of the game for all three systems. Namco would have a much better chance of profiting from the game if it were on all systems. 3, I sincerely doubt that Namco wasn't making a Wii version in the first place.
Sure, it wouldn't be hard to do three versions. But it would be more expensive. If IGN is correct, the PS3-team does the Wii version. This way, Namco could produce a potentially more successful version without additional manpower.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
duketogo88 said:
Is my sarcasm meter broken today?

Nah, just thought it was an angle that should be brought up. Despite being a baseless conspiracy theory, it's not totally implausible. I mean, if I was Nintendo, I'd be doing shit like that. Really, why shouldn't they?

Kafel

Banned
CrapSandwich said:
Nah, just thought it was an angle that should be brought up. Despite being a baseless conspiracy theory, it's not totally implausible. I mean, if I was Nintendo, I'd be doing shit like that. Really, why shouldn't they?

Because NB has already planned 100+ titles for the DS ?

Haunted

I mean, it certainly sounds believable, but this exact scenario could come straight from Gahigiddy's imagination.

But I'm not buying this rumour
yet.

This might come off as a stealth troll post, but Katamari on the Wii makes more sense when it comes to sales. The base who actually gave a shit about the title's integrity or price point weren't likely to buy the title and first time gamers will rejoice at its simplicity and happiness. However, if Beautiful Katamari has to be made from the ground up for Wii, it could become more ambitious.

parathod said:
This might come off as a stealth troll post, but Katamari on the Wii makes more sense when it comes to sales. The base who actually gave a shit about the title's integrity or price point weren't likely to buy the title and first time gamers will rejoice at its simplicity and happiness. However, if Beautiful Katamari has to be made from the ground up for Wii, it could become more ambitious.

I'd say that the type of person most likely to not have purchased the first games yet still be interested in the franchise most definently solely own a Wii.

Zoe

Crisis said:
3, I sincerely doubt that Namco wasn't making a Wii version in the first place.

For the record, the Japanese magazine article that announced the PS3/360 versions said they were still trying to figure out how to make the game work well with Wii and PC controls.

wsippel

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
I really find it hard to believe that Namco of all companies would have an issue with ps3 coding
"Trouble" doesn't necessarily equal to technical issues. Maybe they simply had not enough manpower to finish the PS3 version in time, or, more likely if true at all, there were financial problems (too expensive to be profitable).

SRG01

WOW. I'm willing to take this rumor as true. It's perfect for the Wii.

Considering I've never really been interested in the Wii, I'm ready to climb onboard. :lol

wsippel said:
"Trouble" doesn't necessarily equal to technical issues. Maybe they simply had not enough manpower to finish the PS3 version in time, or, more likely if true at all, there were financial problems (too expensive to be profitable).

Hard to believe a milking of a last gen game would cause either situation.

wsippel

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Hard to believe a milking of a last gen game would cause either situation.
Sure. On the other hand, let's say you have a certain budget and a team, and work on two versions of a game. Someday you notice that one of the two versions might end up being not all that successful, or maybe even bomb, because the platform is either harder (and therefore more expensive) to develop for or not as widespread as you had anticipated or both. Would you take the risk, or would you cancel the potentially least successful version in favor of a version for a different system that will most likely be more successful? Simply doing all three versions might not be a viable option if you only have a certain team, budget and timeframe.

wsippel said:
Sure. On the other hand, let's say you have a certain budget and a team, and work on two versions of a game. Someday you notice that one of the two versions might end up being not all that successful, or maybe even bomb, because the platform is either harder (and therefore more expensive) to develop for or not as widespread as you had anticipated or both. Would you take the risk, or would you cancel the potentially least successful version in favor of a version that will most likely be more successful? Simply doing all three versions might not be a viable option if you only have a certain team, budget and timeframe.

IN the case of a quick port up it shouldn't matter.

wsippel

Banned
krypt0nian said:
IN the case of a quick port up it shouldn't matter.
Well, maybe it simply isn't a quick port up. And even a quick port up costs time and money that might be better spent elsewhere.

SantaC

drohne said:
i can see microsoft moneyhatting this -- they need games that depart from traditional xbox themes, and katamari has (or once had) a kind of hipness and cachet

then again i can also see namco struggling to produce a ps3 port of a game with ps2 graphics

and i can also see ign being full of shit

i can see my house from here

god I love drohne :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For those of you wondering why people could possibly make big deals about sales. Well, there ya go.

Tremis

This man does his research.
I'm not even commenting on the thread or even reading it beyond the michael jackson gif. oh man, that own's so hard! I just watched that video again a little while ago.

Down with your joker-eats-popcorn overlords! MJ-EATS-POPCORN REIGNS SUPREME!! :lol

lupin23rd

Makes little sense to me.

I find it hard to believe the PS3 version would be canned in Japan, and since it's coming out in English on 360 in North America, what exactly is there to make it difficult to combine those two things into a North American release? Moneyhat is the only reason.

M$ is in for a rude awakening when they find out soccer moms won't be buying their console to play this game (after ignoring Viva Pinata altogether). Why don't they moneyhat another FPS, that might actually be more beneficial to them in the long run.

m

lupin23rd said:
Makes little sense to me.

I find it hard to believe the PS3 version would be canned in Japan, and since it's coming out in English on 360 in North America, what exactly is there to make it difficult to combine those two things into a North American release? Moneyhat is the only reason.

M$ is in for a rude awakening when they find out soccer moms won't be buying their console to play this game (after ignoring Viva Pinata altogether). Why don't they moneyhat another FPS, that might actually be more beneficial to them in the long run.

m

Soccer moms don't buy videogames.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Who are the idiots saying Katamari sold like crap? Were you living in a cave at the time?

Mau ®

Cant say I am profoundly sorry about this news. Its gonna flop no matter what.

Wii version will sell decently I would think.

Edit: Isnt it a coincidence that the PS3 version is MIA right after rumors pointed at MS moneyhatting the game?

justjohn

why is it everytime you get a row of good ps3 news suddenly there is an influx of bad news just coming from nowhere? maybe i'm just paranoid but its really weird

Link

The Autumn Wind
justjohn said:
why is it everytime you get a row of good ps3 news suddenly there is an influx of bad news just coming from nowhere? maybe i'm just paranoid but its really weird
That's just the universe balancing itself out.

Top Bottom