• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real: Beautiful Katamari PS3 canned, Rumor: Wii version in the work

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
So what's the max no. of characters allowed?

Oh I didn't mean it's literally too long to include the word, I meant it's at the point where adding anything more would make it pretty ugly.

Pureauthor said:
And... what's with the new tag?

moonside2000.jpg

Jonnyram

The Wii version was rumoured from day one. If you cast your mind back to the guy in a US game shop who found these in the database, you might recall a Wii version was mentioned back then. But it was not announced officially at the same time as the PS3 and 360 versions.

Steroyd

Are Namco still thinking of selling this as a full priced retail game? because I still think it's a joke that they are even thinking about it if it still looks like the screens I've seen.

Jonnyram said:
The Wii version was rumoured from day one. If you cast your mind back to the guy in a US game shop who found these in the database, you might recall a Wii version was mentioned back then. But it was not announced officially at the same time as the PS3 and 360 versions.
Yeah, I remember developers saying that it would come later because they would have to reimagine KD for Wii. I thought people had taken it as actually real, just coming later.

I don't get whats up with this one though...looks exactly the same as PS2 games, many websites taking it as a XBLA game, now PS3 port canceled...

I remember thinking....oh, Namco should totally do a Katamari Damacy for next-gen machines with unbelievable graphics, no loading, sixaxis support...this isn't anything like that. Its a nightmare.

macewank

mrklaw said:
Doesn't make sense.

Why would they cancel the PS3 version "Because its too tricky to port from 360", yet do a wii version that they also can't port so have to 'reimagine'?

I don't buy the 'can't port'.

I also don't understand why Namco wouldn't do it for PS3. Sales is a stupid reason. If sales was the only reason, why bother with Ace Combat etc on 360 (least in Japan)? You don't just drop an entire platform because it came out of the gates slow.

Sure, add a wii sku, but do a PS3 one too.

Namco seems to be taking a "wait for it to sell" approach to the PS3..

Which really makes absolutely no sense given the fact that the system continues to outsell the 360 in every non US market.. But whatever, I can't say that I'm depressed over the loss of Katamari. Ace Combat on the other hand....

felipeko

macewank said:

Which really makes absolutely no sense given the fact that the system continues to outsell the 360 in every non US market..
And continues behind 360 in every non Japanese market...

macewank said:

Which really makes absolutely no sense given the fact that the system continues to outsell the 360 in every non US market.. But whatever, I can't say that I'm depressed over the loss of Katamari. Ace Combat on the other hand....

Are we really sure about that? Europe I mean, and the PS3 outselling the 360 overall worldwide.

Isn't this what N'Gai Croal said in his blog a month or so ago? That if the PS3 sold <100k 3 months in a row in the US that certain companies would start dropping PS3 SKUs, giving 360 de-facto exclusives?

Well so far this week we've seen:

Fatal Inertia
Beautiful Katamari
Thrillville

While none of these games 'matter' in the strictest sense that they're not system sellers or very big sellers at all, it's a sign that 3rd parties are displeased with the PS3's hardware/software sales and don't see much of a point with supporting it with smaller titles. It's pretty obvious at this point that they don't share Sony's (and numerous forum goers') optimistic appraisal of the Sales-Age situation.

FtsH

this game is from a JP company
born on PS
aimed for PS players' market
not heavily depend on graphics
yet it becomes a Xbox360 exclusive..............:(

FtsH said:
born on PS

Poor Playstation. I'm sure it's weeping in a corner right at this very moment.

macewank

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Are we really sure about that? Europe I mean, and the PS3 outselling the 360 overall worldwide.

Isn't this what N'Gai Croal said in his blog a month or so ago? That if the PS3 sold <100k 3 months in a row in the US that certain companies would start dropping PS3 SKUs, giving 360 de-facto exclusives?

Fatal Inertia
Beautiful Katamari
Thrillville

While none of these games 'matter' in the strictest sense that they're not system sellers or very big sellers at all, it's a sign that 3rd parties are displeased with the PS3's hardware/software sales and don't see much of a point with supporting it with smaller titles. It's pretty obvious at this point that they don't share Sony's (and numerous forum goers') optimistic appraisal of the Sales-Age situation.

I do believe the PS3 is outselling the 360 by a good clip in the European market as well.

However, I suppose outside of Europe and Japan I can't say for certain who's selling what. I think I remember reading something about the PS3 selling like the megaton in Australia as well but I could be completely off base there.

N'Gai was right though. Developers want to see the PS3 move units before they'll commit. Square Enix delayed FF13 solely based on the fact that the hardware hasn't saturated the market to the point where it makes sense for them to release it this year. I hope to god Sony has done something to secure that as an exclusive too.. Hell I hope Sony has done something to guarantee the "good" Square games are exclusive to PS3 in general.

It's gonna take a price drop and something huge in the way of press to get the hardware moving again. I think we'll hear about the price drop at E3, and I'd venture a guess at saying it will be a significant drop. $150-$200 range. Diode problems are solved, Cell process problems are solved.. Their manufacturing processes are going to shrink in cost fairly rapidly now, just like they did with PS2 components.

And I know it's "company line" sounding, but people do forget that the PS3 is actually selling faster than the PS2 did overall, though that had EVERYTHING to do with hardware shortages if I recall correctly.

Sharp

macewank said:
And I know it's "company line" sounding, but people do forget that the PS3 is actually selling faster than the PS2 did overall, though that had EVERYTHING to do with hardware shortages if I recall correctly.
No. It's not. I don't think that was ever true worldwide, and not even true in the US at this point.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
FtsH said:
born on PS

The Media Create threads provide a partial answer- while its healthier than the 360 Japanese sales, its still anemic overall.

macewank said:

AHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUAHUA

macewank said:

The Wii is tracking at near equal (more or less) to the PS2, so I really don't know how the PS3 can be selling faster than the PS2.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'd say PS3 is NOT outselling 360 currently. On a four week basis we have japanese numbers of around 40,000 for PS3 and 8,000 for 360 (PS3 optimistically, 360 pessimistically), whereas we have these as US numbers for may: 82,000 for PS3 and 155,000 for 360. So PS3 had to make up more than 41,000 units in Europe in a month in order to even reach 360 sales levels.

Wyndstryker said:
The Wii is tracking at near equal (more or less) to the PS2, so I really don't know how the PS3 can be selling faster than the PS2.
No, if you compare PS3's numbers to PS2's numbers after the same time on the market, PS2 isn't so far ahead of PS3. But this is comparing Japanese-only numbers to worldwide numbers. Comparing Wii to these same numbers for PS2, Wii is far ahead of course.

FtsH

schuelma said:
The Media Create threads provide a partial answer- while its healthier than the 360 Japanese sales, its still anemic overall.
that explains why sony cannot maintain it as PS3 exclusive, but not enough to support it being a 360 only game. but, anyway.......

travisbickle said:
Sony have to replace this game quick. I don't think they "need" Katamari Damacy, I don't think they need any game that's already had 2 or more versions on the PS2 and isn't a blockbuster. But they do need a similar quirky game that's "more next gen" then Katamari.

loco roco...

ram

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Fatal Inertia
Beautiful Katamari
Thrillville

i wouldnt agree with that, through the fatal inertia one is really suspicous. but in the end, i think that descision may be the final curtain for koei canada. on the other hand, thrillville xbox360 only exists because the original xbox is dead and they can do a quick port for cheap from the pc version. in the end, its just a 128bit game with sub par visuals on the xbox360. and btw. the first one was really boring too. the beautiful katamari thing is only a money hat thing. the game looks like the ps2 games and namco coulndt port it to ps3? come on, we are talking about an japanese developer. they arent pussies in terms of what can be done like western developers. i for one, hope that namco fails hard with that game - thats what you get for leaving your original fanbase. :(

Link

The Autumn Wind
FtsH said:
born on PS
Don't worry, it's rumored to be coming to the Wii, too. That'll cover all the people you're worried about.

FtsH

ram said:
i wouldnt agree with that, through the fatal inertia one is really suspicous. but in the end, i think that descision was the final curtain for koei canada. on the othe rhand, thrillvill xbox360 only exists because the original xbox is dead and they can do a quick port for cheap form the pc version. in the end, its just a 128bit game with sub par visuals on the xbox360. and btw. the first one was really boring. the beautiful katamari thing is in my eyes only a money hat thing. the game looks like the ps2 games and namco coulndt port it? come on, we are talking about an japanese developer. they arent pussies in terms of what can be done like western developers. i for example, hope that namco fails with that one miserable - thats what you get for leaving your original fanbase.

by leaving N64 for PS, most companies get more money......

macewank

cjelly said:
Oh, not this shit again.

If you've got figures, show them. If you haven't, shut up.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/unit-shifter/french-hardware-sales-256295.php

There's Q1 figures from France...

Chart-Track doesn't make their figures public, so I can't say for sure what the UK is doing.

I'm not saying the PS3 is outselling the 360 worldwide. Don't take it as that.. Just saying there ARE territories out there where the system is selling better than its competition... Well, selling better than the 360

Master Z

nelsonroyale said:
loco roco...

Wouldn't it be funny if the PSN Loco Roco looked better than retail game Katamari? Anyway the Wii version is what has me interested. Katamari has gotten stale for me so hopefully they'll do some new innovative stuff on the Wii.

FtsH

Wyndstryker said:
they're talking about ww sale of PS3 comparing to PS2 in JP only, because PS2 didn't have a ww launch back then.

ram

FtsH said:
by leaving N64 for PS, most companies get more money......

do you think, hardcore blood and gore fps players will buy THAT game? lol - viva pinata should be a lesson to namco.

I'm hoping for a Wii port so I can just grab the inevitable PS2 version. It's not like the graphics will be harmed so much for a friggin Katamari game.

Jonnyram

Master Z said:
Anyway the Wii version is what has me interested. Katamari has gotten stale for me so hopefully they'll do some new innovative stuff on the Wii.
The online stuff in the 360 version is gonna be slick. That may be related to the PS3 cancellation actually. Online is supposedly a BIG part of this game.

nofi

badcrumble said:
I'm hoping for a Wii port so I can just grab the inevitable PS2 version. It's not like the graphics will be harmed so much for a friggin Katamari game.

Or you could just get the already available (and no doubt just as good) PS2 games. =)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
FtsH said:
that explains why sony cannot maintain it as PS3 exclusive, but not enough to support it being a 360 only game. but, anyway.......

Well, if the rumor is to be believed, its coming to the Wii which would more than take care of the Japanese market.

FtsH

ram said:
do you think, hardcore blood and gore fps players will buy THAT game? lol - viva pinata should be a lesson to namco.

viva pinata is more like an AO game covered by "E for everyone" graphics.........

ppl go for games, Katamari fans will move to 360, it doesn't matter if current 360 owners will like Katamari or not.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
macewank said:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/unit-shifter/french-hardware-sales-256295.php

There's Q1 figures from France...

Chart-Track doesn't make their figures public, so I can't say for sure what the UK is doing.

I'm not saying the PS3 is outselling the 360 worldwide. Don't take it as that.. Just saying there ARE territories out there where the system is selling better than its competition... Well, selling better than the 360
So you say the PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Europe full stop. Then you quote Q1 figures (Jan - March), which is when the PS3 launched (so launch figures), for... France.

Let the spin begin! :lol

nofi

cjelly said:
So you say the PS3 is selling better than the 360 in Europe full stop. Then you quote Q1 figures (Jan - March), which is when the PS3 launched (so launch figures), for... France.

Let the spin begin! :lol

Stop winding him up - none of us know either way.

nelsonroyale said:
I find it bizare this game isn't leading on the wii considering the market and how this games looks

peace

Most companies started this gen under the assumption of a PS360 future. The Wii 3rd party situation will be a slow ramp-up if the sales continue as is. If the second half of this rumor comes true, Namco has all of their bases covered as the Wii is the lead console in Japan.

Katamari sold better in the US didn't it? Last I checked the 360 still is the US market leader by nearly 3 million units. And still the Euro leader by over a million as well.

macewank said:

It's not, and it's really way past time that people stopped this nonsense. Do you think publishers are actually looking over their books and saying "Well, the PS3 worldwide is outpacing the PS2 (in Japan) over a 7 month span, so it's obviously selling better overall"? No, it's PR speak, it doesn't have any real meaning in the real world. In the real world, the PS3 is selling worse than the PS2 in every individual territory over the same timespan, and is selling worse than the GCN in the US and Japan.

Sticking your head in the sand and twisting the data doesn't make it any less true.

ram said:
i wouldnt agree with that, through the fatal inertia one is really suspicous. but in the end, i think that descision may be the final curtain for koei canada. on the other hand, thrillville xbox360 only exists because the original xbox is dead and they can do a quick port for cheap from the pc version. in the end, its just a 128bit game with sub par visuals on the xbox360. and btw. the first one was really boring too. the beautiful katamari thing is only a money hat thing. the game looks like the ps2 games and namco coulndt port it to ps3? come on, we are talking about an japanese developer. they arent pussies in terms of what can be done like western developers. i for one, hope that namco fails hard with that game - thats what you get for leaving your original fanbase. :(

See? This is what I'm talking about. All these excuses when the OBVIOUS answer is staring you right in the face.

damisa

ram said:

well so far, it seems only fps and racing fans buy PS3 games (resistance, motorstorm)

360 software sales are far more varied and healthy.

Draft

damisa said:
well so far, it seems only fps and racing fans buy PS3 games (resistance, motorstorm)

360 software sales are far more varied and healthy.
Yikes, it's funny to see that in writing, but I don't see how you can argue :lol

Speevy

Banned
Whoa, weird stuff. Why don't they just can both next-gen versions and make it Wii exclusive. It's going to bomb so hard on the Xbox 360.

FtsH

quick question, is there a website for SCEWWS? why can't I find it on google?

just curious how many genres of games can SCEWWS cover if they completely lost 3rd party support........

nofi

FtsH said:
quick question, is there a website for SCEWWS? why can't I find it on google?

just curious how many genres of games can SCEWWS cover if they completely lost 3rd party support........

Er. No, just don't.

damisa

Draft said:
Yikes, it's funny to see that in writing, but I don't see how you can argue :lol

Another amusing thing, is that both games are sony published. People are always complaining that third parties don't sell on the wii when the situation is much worse on the PS3.

Top Bottom