• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really enjoyed Jojo Stardust Crusaders. Cannot stand DIU. Will it get any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, you seem a little obsessed with the masculinity. Araki has said in the past that Jojo is a direct response to the over-masculine figures he was inspired by like "Fist of the North Star". Jojo is straight fabulous and will always over-pose...

iu

...and thank God for that.

Also, the art-style, I feel you. It's sort of whack coming from SDC but now I prefer the art-style of DIU massively. The colours are more fun and the style seems more unique.

TI watched through Stardust Crusaders (anime) and really enjoyed it. It had all good things I like about shonen anime and very few things that kept me away from them.

1. It has no bullshit paddling or filler, and gets into action immediately.

I feel like this isn't true at all.

Neoxon

???

1) He wouldn't have gotten injured if he didn't have to protect Josuke.
2) The rat had a good matchup against him. He's strong, but not fucking invincible.

The fact that Jotaro couldn't punch his way through all of his problems in part 4 is a good thing, and you're totally downplaying his ridiculously good moments like when he bodied Kira despite being near death
I don't think he's at the proper introduction of Yoshikage Kira, yet.

Since you decided to finish it through the manga, here are some things from the anime you missed:
* Opening 2.
* Opening 3 and the version that plays during the final encounter (changed even more than the THE WORLD version of Stardust Crusaders' last OP).
* Epilogue added by the anime.

Man, they stepped their game up so much with OP2 and 3(+), visually. Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town just looks static by comparison, and the later OPs have such a ridiculous density of symbolic images and allusions in every single frame that just isn't there with OP1.

Like, in a sense OP2 and OP3 spoil basically every significant plot point, but with images that are so clever and surreal that even me telling a person that won't cause them to be spoiled form watching for them, because they just can't even begin to make sense without the proper context.

Since you decided to finish it through the manga, here are some things from the anime you missed:

Thanks for this. The epilogue is a nice warming goodbye to Duwang.

If you think it has more filler than Stardust Crusaders, then I just don't know what to say.

To clarify on the filler complaint, filler in anime to me means mini-stories or arcs that were not in the original manga. They are not canon and their main purpose is to increase the anime length. Naruto and Bleach are among the most notorious for this. The Tarot Card set up in Stardust Crusaders makes me feel like every enemy is pre-planned. "They have to defeat all the Tarot Cards and then Dio" was taken granted by me the whole series. This notion got doubled down by the fact that
the grandma would announce future enemies at the end of most episodes

In the early episodes of DIU, enemies felt random. And since I hadn't read the manga then, I didn't know they were all canon or not. Now that I finished the manga, I realize that most of them are necessary world building or foreshadowing.

However I don't really see the point of that
alien(?). What is his deal? I thought he would have played a more important role.

However I don't really see the point of that
alien(?). What is his deal? I thought he would have played a more important role.

Araki often does that sort of thing, where he introduces things and then doesn't go very far with them.

Luckily whole arcs don't just fall apart as a result but it can still be a bit of a curveball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom