• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really enjoyed Jojo Stardust Crusaders. Cannot stand DIU. Will it get any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Koo

The only weird complaint in the OP to me is the one about Josuke's/Crazy Diamond's powers. I mean they can do everything Jotaro/Star Platinum did
ignoring the last fight
with the addition of all the creative thing they can do with healing/reverting.

And Jojo has been pretty flamboyant since part 2 at the very least. SDC had Polnareff and Dio too. As for characters proportions/design, I personally much prefer part 4's Jotaro.

Air

Banned
I'm just starting the Egyptian part of SDC and I got to say, I am feeling bummed they needed Joseph so much. Another poster hit the nail on the head by saying they took away his ability to think and that's something I hope gets fixed. Jotero is a boring protagonist as well and almost every fight gets solved the same way. While I still like SDC I definitely feel it was a parallel step to pivot the series in a different direction, and I think the characters suffer a lot to accommodate the stands.

Also both opening songs are not as good as the first two parts.

Piers

I found both parts as good as each other; the shift to a more weekly storyline could be a bit too much of a change for some.
Also found Kira's defining entrance to be a wet fart. He kills a hatable character and given an exposition dump on how mean he is by a ghost. Began to really appreciate him as a villain
when he suspects Hayato and activates his new power.

But trying to first get into DIU with the manga, I couldn't. Seemed a little too random, and weird, and just didn't jive with me. Even the first episode of the anime didn't change how iffy it felt. Then things got a lot more interesting for me by the second episode.

Another poster hit the nail on the head by saying they took away his ability to think and that's something I hope gets fixed.
Aside from a few moments throughout, Joseph doesn't do the quick thinking anymore.
Jotaro still does by DIU.

ElFly

part 5 is part 3 redone

I love part 3 but cannot stand (lol) part 5 to be honest

some people blame the translation, I just think it is just poorly done

part 6, 7 and 8 are as unique as every other parts before and they are all great in their own ways

Air

Banned
Aside from a few moments throughout, Joseph doesn't do the quick thinking anymore.
Jotaro still does by DIU.

This would be better if
Jotaro is more interesting than a cardboard box
. I'm hoping he has a lot more personality/ character growth later

Kaizer

Banned
What's funny is I've watched Diamond Is Unbreakable to completion, but still have yet to finish Stardust Crusaders - there's just something a little biring/meandering about the midsection if that season.

In comparison, I enjoyed the "whacky small-town hijinks" of DiU much more because it's a welcome contrast to the world domination plots of the previous three seasons.

To pretty much take all of these together, what got nerfed was his ability to think. You see the same pattern with Joseph in Stardust as you see it with Jotaro in Diamond. One of Joseph's hallmarks was his cleverness, which was, outside of a rare moment here or there, pretty much gone in Stardust (yes I know he got old). I would say it's virtually the same with Jotaro in Diamond albeit to a lesser degree. It's that always having a plan B sort of thing that I see as plot armor since it seems to switch to whomever is the protag at that point.
Bingo! Obviously they did it to prevent Joseph from over shadowing Jotaro, but I still didn't like it

zoukka

Nah if you don't enjoy the first few episodes, it's not meant for you.

For me part 4 was amazing. Fresh art style with amazing colours, more varied episode structures and more interesting characters.

The true greatness of JoJo is that the parts are different from each other and not just repeats of the same formula.

So odd I see people who enjoyed Stardust a lot call out DIU for having filler but didn't feel the same way about the monster of the week episodes

andymcc

Banned
I'm just starting the Egyptian part of SDC and I got to say, I am feeling bummed they needed Joseph so much. Another poster hit the nail on the head by saying they took away his ability to think and that's something I hope gets fixed. Jotero is a boring protagonist as well and almost every fight gets solved the same way. While I still like SDC I definitely feel it was a parallel step to pivot the series in a different direction, and I think the characters suffer a lot to accommodate the stands.

I think during the Egypt arc of SDC, battles start getting solved differently and there are less Ora-to-win elements. Arguably, my two favorite battles don't even involve Jotaro
Petshop and Vanilla Ice

So odd I see people who enjoyed Stardust a lot call out DIU for having filler but didn't feel the same way about the monster of the week episodes

Like, the "filler" helps especially flesh out or explain landmarks/places in Moriah, a fictional city. It's not like Araki being able to rely on existing locales like in every other Jojo to date.

munchie64

I totally understand where you're coming from, but ultimately it seems impossible for me not to see Stands as amazing at this point. They are essentially an excuse to get any type of character involved in any type of battle, which in turn benefits the characters immensely, even if it doesn't seem that way at first.

Also I think you may grow to like the 2nd SC op (End of the World) a lot by the end. It's my personal favourite (or at least tied with one that comes later).
He should honestly watch up until around ep 24.
Cinderella, Kira wants a quiet life and Sheer Heart Attack
are pretty much my favorite stretch of eps.
Probably, but the idea is 17 could probably keep one going to around that point and then it's fairly clear sailing for the kind of stuff OP wants.

cntr

Banned
fHEMI3H.gif

That's all I hafta say about this thread.

Defuser

There's a reason why people prefer Battle Tendency over Phantom Blood and DiU over SDC.

Phantom Blood & SDC are boring because it was a straight forward journey to beat the shit out Dio and it was straight on fight after fight. Jonathan and Jotaro's MO is punch the shit out of them till they die.

Battle Tendency and DiU is where it shines because the fights are creative and unique. Joseph, Josuke both use their wits to outwit their opponents through creative uses of their powers. Also not every episode have enemies breathing down their neck for a fight.

JoeInky

I also really hated part 4 when I started watching it immediately after part 3, almost to the point where I just stopped watching it.

But I stuck with it and when the main bad guy gets introduced it's pretty much all great from there.

Spoiler-free breakdown of future parts in the terms OP outlined.

Part 5- Cast is not masculine at all, but the narrative is much closer to Part 3 in terms of clearly defined goals and varied settings. Arguably the weakest villain character-wise.

Part 6- Cast is mostly masculine women, setting isn't varied but the plot is well defined and the villain is excellent. You'll definitely get a lot out of it as a fan of Part 3.

Part 7- A partial return to a more overtly masculine cast, varied setting and excellent villain. Very simple core plotline with some neat surprises, this is pretty widely considered the best season of the series.

sibarraz

Banned
I liked Stardust Crusaders, it was a great introduction to stands and the party was charismatic and you wanted to root for them.

Also, I think that the Ending of Last Train Home really sold well the idea of the series, while DIU is about the living of a group of friends in a small town, SC was about the brotherhood that a party crated while doing a trip, and the tragic ending made that trip more memorable

Karsha

You wont find muscles anymore in Jojo, Araki dropped that style during part 4. If the pacing is what you like about SDC than 5 might be what you're looking for since its like part 3 set in Italy.

PK Gaming

To pretty much take all of these together, what got nerfed was his ability to think. You see the same pattern with Joseph in Stardust as you see it with Jotaro in Diamond. One of Joseph's hallmarks was his cleverness, which was, outside of a rare moment here or there, pretty much gone in Stardust (yes I know he got old). I would say it's virtually the same with Jotaro in Diamond albeit to a lesser degree. It's that always having a plan B sort of thing that I see as plot armor since it seems to switch to whomever is the protag at that point.

What happened to Joseph in part 3 is absolutely not comparable to what happened to Jotaro in part 4. Part 4 Jotaro still very much feels like the exact same character, but older and less spry. He's still a sharp thinker and a top tier fighter who often has to cover for the inexperience of Josuke/Koichi which leads to him getting hurt.
Even when he faces off against Kira, he absolutely destroys despite being on the brink of death.

Keihart

welp i found stardust to be the most boring moment of jojo, both previous arks are better and DIU is basically a return to form without all the triying to be DBZ type of shit in stardust.

Illucio

Banned
I hated Part 3 with a passion and nothing in my life will ever have me watch it again. I almost didn't even watch part 4 because of how bored I was from Part 3. I immensely enjoyed Part 4 because it was more serious and silly. The powers were pretty weak but they all took you by surprised because you didn't know how to fight it. It took dumb luck and and ingenius thinking for a lot of battles in Part 4, but with the shows traditional flash and glamour had my in tuned 24/7. Part 4 was a fine wine it just kept getting better each episode and never stopped.

Some of you guys gotta realize that Hokuto no Ken and Part 1-2 ran concurrently in WSJ for a brief period.

JoJo is almost 40 years old.

Of course his art changed over time.

LousyTactician

Neo Member
Anyone who uses the term "filler" for Diamond is Unbreakable doesn't know what the word means.

Quoted for life.

I really can't stand it when people write off a series with an emphasis on side-stories as nothing more than 'filler'. I kind of understand why many people have gotten this mind-set since a lot of Shonen is packed with pointless bullshit, but a bigger focus on side-stories and slice of life ≠ filler. Most of the side-stories in DiU are either relevant to the characters in some way, or come back to be relevant to the plot in some manner. For example...

Stray Cat becomes a secondary upgrade to Killer Queen, the 'Cinderella' side-story introduces the Stand that will let Kira pull a Face Off, ETC.

And the rest are just plain fun (Let's Go Out For Italian is fucking artistry incarnate).

Powers are meh.
Main protagonist is a healer? His side kick has a Metapod which evolves? The villains' powers are also more mundane and less threatening. Most don't have the intent to kill so the stake is a lot less here.

Writing off Josuke's powers as just 'healing' is ludicrously reductive. Yeah, he's a healer...

Who can transmute people into stone and books, punch with Star Platinum strength, create stone barricades, reflect enemy attacks, and fire homing projectiles using his dried blood.

The fights in DiU are far more varied and creative than even the glorious shenanigans Joseph caused in Part 2, and in my opinion is the Part where Araki really hit his stride.

As for the question of whether or not the OP should keep watching/reading, I'd say keep watching as most of the 'filler' as you call it comes back in relevant ways. Part 5 will likely be even worst for you (and admittedly it's probably my least favorite in the series). It goes back to a more adventure/villain of the week formula, but the new artstyle won't be more appealing to you and unlike Part 4 it is an ACTUAL downgrade in most areas. But Parts 6 & 7 are fantastic (just behind Parts 4 & 2 for me), and might bring you back in depending on how committed you are to 'muh manliness'.

I can't even make it through part 2. Dio > The Aztec Guys

I know Dio comes back

The Victorian setting, Dio, Jonathan, Speedwagon, Zeppeli, it all rocks. I consider part 1 to be one of the best anime watching experiences I've ever had. I've tried to watch part 2 twice and every time I get to the three pillar men I just lose interest. Joseph and Caesar just bore me. And the loss of the Victorian/horror setting was a real blow IMO.

Can I skip to part 3? Should I just rewatch the Dark Tournament arc of Yu Yu Hakusho?

LotusHD

Banned

I know Dio comes back

The Victorian setting, Dio, Jonathan, Speedwagon, Zeppeli, it all rocks. I consider part 1 to be one of the best anime watching experiences I've ever had. I've tried to watch part 2 twice and every time I get to the three pillar men I just lose interest. Joseph and Caesar just bore me. And the loss of the Victorian/horror setting was a real blow IMO.

Can I skip to part 3? Should I just rewatch the Dark Tournament arc of Yu Yu Hakusho?

Damn it sir, watch all of it.

I know Dio comes back

Dio is way better than the Aztec Gods of Gains, but DiU villain is every bit as good and better than Dio in some ways cause he's actually a damn person with quirks, fucked up ass kinks and he's enjoyable as fuck, but the Dark Tournament is ONE OF THE BEST FUCKING SHONEN ARCS so it's always worth watching that shit.

Air

Banned

Honestly this was the peak of the series for me. It was so random, I loved it.

Prepare to be disappointed.

Yeah, I figured not much would change, but I've watched a lot of anime

I think during the Egypt arc of SDC, battles start getting solved differently and there are less Ora-to-win elements. Arguably, my two favorite battles don't even involve Jotaro
Petshop and Vanilla Ice

Yeah I've noticed this. I'm a few episodes in and there's definitely a bit more thinking involved in the encounters. That's really what I like to see in this kind of anime

I totally understand where you're coming from, but ultimately it seems impossible for me not to see Stands as amazing at this point. They are essentially an excuse to get any type of character involved in any type of battle, which in turn benefits the characters immensely, even if it doesn't seem that way at first.

Also I think you may grow to like the 2nd SC op (End of the World) a lot by the end. It's my personal favourite (or at least tied with one that comes later).

Yeah, I'm sure the stands grow and develop into a unique device, and after battle tendency it's not hard to see why they went in this direction. That said, from a story telling perspective the way the stands are treated are introductory and very simplistic and i wasn't keen on how it was handled, but I'm open minded enough to realize it could get a lot better, I just don't think SDC is anywhere as good as battle tendency. That said, this is exactly how the first two parts were set up and it makes me think I'll really enjoy DIU when I get to it.

Also yeah I like the new opening for SDC Pt. 2.

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I decided to blast through part 4 manga today. It turned out to be pretty cool. Honestly wasn't expecting some
groundhog day shit.

In retrospect, the contrast between part 3 and 4 reminds me
the transition from dark tournament arc to chapter black arc in Yu Yu Hakusho
. Gotta say I enjoyed them all.

Lulubop

I know Dio comes back

Dark tournament. Read Flame of Recca if you like YYH. Everyone should. Read it dho

I know Dio comes back

If Joseph bores you (I don't even know how that's possible) you'll probably fall in a coma watching Jotaro, I say rewatch YYH. Flame of Recca as that other guy suggest is pretty alright too (the manga that is) felt like a yyh rip off but good

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I decided to blast through part 4 manga today. It turned out to be pretty cool. Honestly wasn't expecting some
groundhog day shit.

In retrospect, the contrast between part 3 and 4 reminds me
the transition from dark tournament arc to chapter black arc in Yu Yu Hakusho
. Gotta say I enjoyed them all.

Since you decided to finish it through the manga, here are some things from the anime you missed:
* Opening 2.
* Opening 3 and the version that plays during the final encounter (changed even more than the THE WORLD version of Stardust Crusaders' last OP).
* Epilogue added by the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom