• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really enjoyed Jojo Stardust Crusaders. Cannot stand DIU. Will it get any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
DIU is amazing from start to finish, I can't even respond to this seriously...

like... not masculine? Josuke?

giphy.gif

The complaint about powers seems very strange to me since I am fairly sure the stands in SDC were a lot more mundane, I have only read the Manga of Diamond though so I don't know if they changed anything even though I don't see why they would

Talents

Banned
I personally loved
Kira
as a villain, better than Dio villain wise, but I preferred Dio's power a million times more, the only way I'd prefer another characters power more is if they had full on time manipulation.

ZPs

Opposite reaction for me. JoJo Part 2 was amazing, but the rough introduction of stands in SDC was repetitive and simplistic. DIU actually takes the stand concept far deeper (and thus more entertaining from my pov) because unlike SDC most things aren't resolved by Jotaro ORA'ing something until it stops moving.

If anything it feels like there's a pattern to the series as it's gone thus far in where

First Part (Concept unveiled, straightforward, somewhat bland) - Parts 1 / 3

Second Part (Concept refined, lots of curveballs, far more exciting) - Parts 2 / 4

Curious to see where Part 5 goes as unlike Parts 1 / 3 it's not supposed to be the introduction of a new system in any sort of way.

Anyone who uses the term "filler" for Diamond is Unbreakable doesn't know what the word means.

I haven't read the manga so I honestly don't know if all the episodes are essential because the plot is less focused. I am more afraid that is the case because filler ruined Naruto anime for me.

massoluk

Banned
Opposite reaction for me. JoJo Part 2 was amazing, but the rough introduction of stands in SDC was repetitive and simplistic. DIU actually takes the stand concept far deeper (and thus more entertaining from my pov) because unlike SDC most things aren't resolved by Jotaro ORA'ing something until it stops moving.

If anything it feels like there's a pattern to the series as it's gone thus far in where

First Part (Concept unveiled, straightforward, somewhat bland) - Parts 1 / 3

Second Part (Concept refined, lots of curveballs, far more exciting) - Parts 2 / 4

Curious to see where Part 5 goes as unlike Parts 1 / 3 it's not supposed to be the introduction of a new system in any sort of way.

Part 5, the author got a little too wild with the antagonist power,
no one know how it works

Anyone who uses the term "filler" for Diamond is Unbreakable doesn't know what the word means.

There are plenty of episodes you can cut out without having an appreciable impact on the overall plot, including entire characters. They're not filler in the traditional anime sense (non-canon material), but they are filler in the traditional western sense (material that's padding the run-length unnecessarily).

That's not unique to Part 4, though. Part 3 had tons of filler. There were probably more filler fights than ones that actually mattered, even.

I personally loved
Kira
as a villain, better than Dio villain wise, but I preferred Dio's power a million times more, the only way I'd prefer another characters power more is if they had full on time manipulation.
Part 5 spoiler
The main villain, Diavolo can erase sections of time so that any action within that erased window didn't happen. I.E if someone shoots you, you can erase the section of time where the bullet had entered and exited your body and the bullet will continue on its path, but it will have never have hit you.
Part 5, the author got a little too wild with the antagonist power,
no one know how it works
It works just fine. As I explained here.

There are plenty of episodes you can cut out without having an appreciable impact on the overall plot, including entire characters. They're not filler in the traditional anime sense (non-canon material), but they are filler in the traditional western sense (material that's padding the run-length unnecessarily).

That's not unique to Part 4, though. Part 3 had tons of filler. There were probably more filler fights than ones that actually mattered, even.

What is unnecessary about Stand encounters in a series about stand encounters?

It's not strictly necessary in the sense of propelling the narrative towards the final confrontation and climax, but it's not a waste of time because they are mostly fun episodes in themselves that flesh out the setting and characters.

Unbounded

Everyone saying that jojo gets less masculine and more fabulous, does that mean I will or won't get more crazy awesome pillar-men-like shit? I don't exactly know where they fall.

PK Gaming

It's not strictly necessary in the sense of propelling the narrative towards the final confrontation and climax, but it's not a waste of time because they are mostly fun episodes in themselves that flesh out the setting and characters.

This

Someone I know described Part 4 as the "Simpsons of JoJo" and it absolutely applies

The peak seasons of Simpsons anyhow, lol

What is unnecessary about Stand encounters in a series about stand encounters?

The arc isn't about Stands. That's like saying Die Hard is a movie about uzis. The Stand Powers are an interesting mechanism through which the central conflicts of the plot are resolved, and a ton of Stand battles in both Part 3 and Part 4 don't actually impact the central conflict or address the plot in any substantial way.

Part 3 is a story about someone traveling across half the world to resolve a century-old conflict that's cast a shadow on three generations of their family, for example. I won't spoil what Part 4 is about here since the OP obviously hasn't gotten to that point yet, but I'm pretty sure you know exactly what it is and why it's much more interesting than just watching random shmucks with Stands fight for no reason.

I don't know about "more masculine", but the intros do get better, at least in my opinion. I hated Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town, but Chase and Breakdown are both better, particularly visually. I know some people like it, but compared to the visual richness and metaphor in the previous opening songs I personally considered CNBT to be a barren wasteland of merit and visually tacky. Though, Chase while visually better is pretty divisive in terms of the actual audio (it's a little "standard shonen" for a lot of people). I think Breakdown is almost universally loved, though?

Thanks for the write up. In SDC I really liked STAND PROUD as an intro. Really fit the theme and get me pumped. Didn't find End of the World very appealing until I found out the eastern egg later on.

Everyone saying that jojo gets less masculine and more fabulous, does that mean I will or won't get more crazy awesome pillar-men-like shit? I don't exactly know where they fall.
Pillar Men were pretty much the peak of that, so you're SoL.
Jotaro in part 4 is less buff than he was in part 3 due to a style change and he is also [minor spoiler]
even less buff and "chiseled" in part 6
Thanks for the write up. In SDC I really liked STAND PROUD as an intro. Really fit the theme and get me pumped. Didn't find End of the World very appealing until I found out the eastern egg later on.
If it makes you feel better, I never fell in love with Part 4's music or OP's either, though the great days animatic is really good.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't read the manga so I honestly don't know if all the episodes are essential because the plot is less focused. I am more afraid that is the case because filler ruined Naruto anime for me.

There's a difference between "not being essential" and "filler."

The Diamond is Unbreakable anime has no filler. In fact, it's actually a streamlined adaptation. The DIU anime is 9 episodes shorter than the sum total of Stardust Crusaders, despite Part 4 being longer in the manga than Part 3 is.

DIU is great. It's easily the best arc yet adapted in anime form, by a mile. If you're 13 episodes in, that means you're about to meet Rohan, who is great, and then pretty much immediately after that you're going to be more properly introduced to the main villain of the story, who has been hinted at in the background right from the very first scene of the season. So yes, the show is about to pick up.

And the OP is also about to change to something more "masculine" too...

Sou Da

The arc isn't about Stands. That's like saying Die Hard is a movie about uzis. The Stand Powers are an interesting mechanism through which the central conflicts of the plot are resolved, and a ton of Stand battles in both Part 3 and Part 4 don't actually impact the central conflict or address the plot in any substantial way.

Part 3 is a story about someone traveling across half the world to resolve a century-old conflict that's cast a shadow on three generations of their family, for example. I won't spoil what Part 4 is about here since the OP obviously hasn't gotten to that point yet, but I'm pretty sure you know exactly what it is and why it's much more interesting than just watching random shmucks with Stands fight for no reason.

That's just not true. The plot is about stands being created and tracking down the tool that created them.

Then a second plot happens.

Part 4 isn't just about the plot. It's about the town of Morioh and its unique citizens.

Not everything needs to be about saving the world man.

Character building is important.

I think the "filler" parts of DiU are better read than animated. You can read through them quickly and they don't really impact the part that much.

The plot of part 4 is josuke's grandpa dying and Josuke vowing to protect the town.

What you think the main plot of Part 4 is only takes priority because the main plot is about protecting the town from stand users.

Let me put it this way: if you were going to make a movie out of Diamond is Unbreakable, what would you cut? There's a great feature-length film in there, but it obviously does not include the entire runtime of the anime.

You can call the remainder what you want, if you find "filler" too offensive call it "supplemental material" or the "extended cut".

That's a goddamn shame.

Ah well. Good to know beforehand.

At any rate, looking forward to part 5 being animated!
I mean, it wouldn't really fit anywhere, but Part 5 encounters more than make up for the lack of pillar Men. Part 5 and 6 are really where stands get ridiculous.
Like it never stops escalating.

Let me put it this way: if you were going to make a movie out of Diamond is Unbreakable, what would you cut? There's a great feature-length film in there, but it obviously does not include the entire runtime of the anime.

You can call the remainder what you want, if you find "filler" too offensive call it "supplemental material" or the "extended cut".

Breaking down any long running manga/anime to a feature length film would require a lot of cutting. That's why they're serialized stories and not feature films.

I'd argue that there isn't a great feature length film inside of diamond is unbreakable. It's a long form story.

RainForce

Banned
At the very least, you should like the structure of part 5 which is much closer to part 3. Maybe part 6 as well, but idk.

Siegcram

I wouldn't call the movie an adaptation of DiU, that's for sure.
The part literally spells its narrative out for you, you just choose to ignore in favour of a serial killer mystery, that, while integral, is still just part of the plot.

Incidentally there is a live action movie coming out in Japan. Know who's not in it?
Kira

Like, technically all the stuff that happens with Shige-chi isn't plot critical.

But without him the story doesn't work. Same with Rohan. You need that stuff to tell a story. It's like cutting a book out of a trilogy when you adapt it. Sure, technically massive the narrative is tighter, but it's also much, much less engaging.

jackal27

Banned
Stardust Crusaders was mostly boring and drawn out except the beginning towards the end.

Every moment of Diamond is Unbreakable is perfect.

One thing that seemed odd to me is that the running joke regarding Josuke's hair just stops early on in the show. Given how it's used to help introduce the character, I thought it would be more prevalent.

Hahaha wow I feel the exact opposite. SC is snooze-tier up until the very last few fights, while DiU feels interesting and weird from the start.

Anyways, the plot does gain more structure in the second half, so I'd recommend you keep with it.

I'm just glad you aren't Araki's editor

Araki was still working at Shonen Jump at the time. His editor was beating him savagely to get weekly chapters out of him, which is why so many of the chapters aren't actually well-planned parts of a coherent narrative.

It's also why there's so much less extraneous stuff in, say, Steel Ball Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom