• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really enjoyed Jojo Stardust Crusaders. Cannot stand DIU. Will it get any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

My guy, Steel Ball Run is apex JoJo. Hell, it's apex battle manga. And I totally feel you on burning out, I burnt out on stone ocean and SBR breathes new life into the series in a way I didn't even think was possible.

「Welcome to the True Man's World」

It's truly, truly been a roundabout path...

I fucking cried like a baby during the end of SBR

I also can't stand how much they nerfed Jotaro in this. He falls for the dumbest shit in Diamond
and practically loses to a fucking RAT while using The World, one of, if not the most OP ability in the whole series
, like u shittin' me with this or what? Like I get it, he's not the protagonist of Diamond so his plot armor is mostly gone, but come on now.

Ray Down

Banned
It get's better, but if you enjoy the style of the earlier parts, including the art, it's best to just keep trying with DiU for now and if you don't like it stop with Jojo.

Araki can't go back to his old style anymore, he says he can't, just for fun here some characters in his new art:

latest

Kars

2015-02-04-jojonium17.jpg

Dio

e45761784a2eb324b164d90bf7757e6e.jpg

Hol

Eila

He finally found his own style instead of ripping off Hokuto no Ken, which I didn't mind.

Steel Ball Run is many times more technically refined, better looking, composed, and aesthetically pleasing than any of his other work, including parts 1-3.

I would be shocked if it wasn't after a lifetime of drawing manga + switching to monthly publication. But part 2 is just so aesthetically pleasing to me. It's like silly FotNS.

Permanently A

「Welcome to the True Man's World」

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded....! They are all those of「Justice」

Dio

Banned
I also can't stand how much they nerfed Jotaro in this. He falls for the dumbest shit in Diamond
and practically loses to a fucking RAT while using The World, one of, if not the most OP ability in the whole series
, like u shittin' me with this or what? Like I get it, he's not the protagonist of Diamond so his plot armor is mostly gone, but come on now.
Honestly, that rat would have probably been capable of killing several important characters from Part 3. Just a single hit from a sniper rifle dart like starts melting your flesh super quickly. It's kind of unfair to downplay that.

Also, Jotaro's stand power was stated to be several meters range (same with Dio) in Part 3 as well. That was actually unchanged. The only thing that got nerfed about him was that he wasn't able to stop time for as long because it's been so long since he needed to use the ability.

Zocano

Watched beginning and ending of part I, thought I was way too slow. Read somewhere online that says jump to part 3 where stands are introduced and things got more interesting. So I read a few chapters of manga of part II and jumped into 3. I might go back and watch anime part II.

Do it, part 2 is wonderful. It takes a couple episodes for set up (since it was basically the establishing of how jojo 'time skips' would work) but it's got no fluff and all the fist of the north star like action you seem to want.

PK Gaming

???

1) He wouldn't have gotten injured if he didn't have to protect Josuke.
2) The rat had a good matchup against him. He's strong, but not fucking invincible.

The fact that Jotaro couldn't punch his way through all of his problems in part 4 is a good thing, and you're totally downplaying his ridiculously good moments like when he bodied Kira despite being near death

Siegcram

There are, with very few exceptions, no power levels in JoJo. Has nothing to do with plot armor (which also isn't a thing in the series).

Watched beginning and ending of part I, thought I was way too slow. Read somewhere online that says jump to part 3 where stands are introduced and things got more interesting. So I read a few chapters of manga of part II and jumped into 3. I might go back and watch anime part II.

The fuck!? Part 2 is the best with the best protagonist as well, I have read part 1-6 and I still haven't found any of the protag to be as fun as Joseph, and while the stand definitely allows for more interesting battles I will forever love ripple.

edit: lol at the guy above complaining about nerfed Jotaro in part 4, now its known how I felt about how badly Joseph was nerfed in Part 3 to make Jotaro looks more awesome

Breads

Banned
It get's better, but if you enjoy the style of the earlier parts, including the art, it's best to just keep trying with DiU for now and if you don't like it stop with Jojo.

Araki can't go back to his old style anymore, he says he can't, just for fun here some characters in his new art:

Araki is very whimsical as an artist. He works fast and loose and, well.... never expect character art using designs outside of currently running arcs to be recognizable. Colors, designs, style, and indeed quality is very inconsistent.

It's something you definitely have to learn to appreciate, though I admit in most of Steel Ball Run and some parts of Jojolion the art is absolutely top tier (while in other parts in Jojolion the art has been the absolute worst in the series).

Honestly, that rat would have probably been capable of killing several important characters from Part 3. Just a single hit from a sniper rifle dart like starts melting your flesh super quickly. It's kind of unfair to downplay that.

Also, Jotaro's stand power was stated to be several meters range (same with Dio) in Part 3 as well. That was actually unchanged. The only thing that got nerfed about him was that he wasn't able to stop time for as long because it's been so long since he needed to use the ability.

He forgot how to fly, teleport into sewers/ teleporting drinks/ toys/ electronics to his location, and star finger.

The main nerf Jotaro took was transitioning from Clint Eastwood to whacky grandpa (uh... nephew) Clint Eastwood. There's really that one line that says it all.
Hey, Josuke, say something cool so he knows we weren't scared.

Jotaro's still cool in Part 4, but he's 80's cool and it's not the 80's anymore. (Well, okay, it's actually super 80's in Morioh, but that's more a function of Japan being Japan.)

Parts 1-3 feel very pedestrian in comparison to later parts. I used to put Battle Tendency at the top of my list and it's not bad by any means but my appreciation for the other parts has grown over the years. Not counting JoJolion it goes like this:

1. Steel Ball Run
2. Diamond is Unbreakable
3. Stone Ocean
4. Vento Aureo
5. Battle Tendency
6. Stardust Crusaders
7. Phantom Blood

Also Josuke is clearly the best JoJo.

Dio

Banned
He forgot how to fly, teleport into sewers/ teleporting drinks/ toys/ electronics to his location and star finger.

The beginning of the manga-thing was forgotten in the latter parts of Part 3.

Essentially, Araki retconned Star Platinum at the VERY BEGINNING being able to go all the way to a convenience store and get Jotaro that stuff to his punch-ghost only having a few meters of range. That's not Part 4's fault, that happened in Part 3.

The flying wasn't actually flying, it was him jumping using the assistance of Star Platinum's legs (I think the anime OVAs actually animate it so you can see the ghostly legs of the stand superimposed on his own legs.)

That being said, have you ever played Pharah against a Widowmaker? Jumping up high in the air is a really bad idea against a sniper.

Moaradin

Part 2 was my favorite until Part 4. The anime looked a lot better, had a much better supporting cast, and Stands are infinitely more interesting than Hamon. It also had the best villain in the series so far.

Looking forward to Part 7 considering how much praise it gets. Won't probably see it until 2020 when the anime gets to it lol

anime ranking so far:

1. Diamond is Unbreakable
2. Battle Tendency
3. Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc
4. Phantom Blood
5. Stardust Crusaders

Breads

Banned
...where?

As a long time Jojo fan my anecdotal experience is that part 2 and part 4 are the most cited as personal favorites by people who read beyond part 3.

The beginning of the manga-thing was forgotten in the latter parts of Part 3.

Essentially, Araki retconned Star Platinum at the VERY BEGINNING being able to go all the way to a convenience store and get Jotaro that stuff to his punch-ghost only having a few meters of range. That's not Part 4's fault, that happened in Part 3.

The flying wasn't actually flying, it was him jumping using the assistance of Star Platinum's legs (I think the anime OVAs actually animate it so you can see the ghostly legs of the stand superimposed on his own legs.)

That being said, have you ever played Pharah against a Widowmaker? Jumping up high in the air is a really bad idea against a sniper.

I wasn't saying that he should have done these things against the rat. I'm saying how he was nerfed.

Agree with you OP part 4 is the first part of Jojo I put down out of boredom. I'll probably marathon the second half in a few days but the majority of part 4 has been a let down.

Matsukaze

In Japan, Parts 3 and 5 are the regular favorites and Part 2 isn't even on the radar. In the West, Parts 4 and 7 have a healthy lead over the other parts with Part 2 jockeying for position after them.

YMMV.

Hypron

I don't think so

At least from what I've seen in the manga thread it's usually fairly down the lists. It's just pretty short and the fights don't hold a candle to stands fights. The main character is fun but that only gets it so far.

Breads

Banned
Of course Part 7 is more popular in the West. Cowboys know what's up.

I think this is a really bizarre comparison. I have no evidence of this but I think it's safe to say that there is very little crossover between the kind of people who like cowboys/ westerns and people who specifically like Steel Ball Run.

Eila

In Japan, Parts 3 and 5 are the regular favorites and Part 2 isn't even on the radar. In the West, Parts 4 and 7 have a healthy lead over the other parts with Part 2 jockeying for position after them.

YMMV.

Maybe now, but for a long time the only way to experience part 4 was through duwang. Maybe the demographics have changed. I've seen it on MAL top anime rankings myself. Feel out of the loop whenever I check what's on top now.

Can't believe someone got mad Jotaro getting beat by
Ratt
, that was the perfect example of how it doesn't matter at all how OP your stand is in a vaccuum, there's always someone with a counter and the way they look is irrelevant. That's a lesson you MUST learn when watching Jojo.

I think this is a really bizarre comparison. I have no evidence of this but I think it's safe to say that there is very little crossover between the kind of people who like cowboys/ westerns and people who specifically like Steel Ball Run.

Any cowboy that doesn't like Steel Ball Run may as well turn in his cowboy-ing license.

massoluk

Banned

YMMV.
Really? Wouldn't have imagine part 5 being the favorite.

Eumi

Yeah, if you're so stuck on things being masculine, bail now.

I dunno how you made it through part 2 though.

Yeah, if you're so stuck on things being masculine, bail now.

I dunno how you made it through part 2 though.

They may be filthy sluts, but the dudes in Part 2 are still swole as heck. I'm assuming "masculine" in this case equates to "muscular".

ChouGoku

Part 6 is the true successor 6 is better than part to part 3, but part 4 is better than part 3, but part 6 is better than part 4. Wait till part 6, but characters are models by then so that might be a problem for you.

Breads

Banned
Part 6 is the true successor 6 is better than part to part 3, but part 4 is better than part 3, but part 6 is better than part 4. Wait till part 6, but characters are models by then so that might be a problem for you.

Anasui was so hot we all mistook him for a woman at first.

convo

Fans of part 3 would like a higher death toll and a lot of death battles. Parts from 5 onwards certainly have enough murder of that sort. People getting confused or angry by increasingly stranger abilities will have to fall back to table top games if they want a solid system based narrative. Jojo and stands make up their own rule book that isn't made for inspections on the sub-atomic level like some MMO theory crafting.

???

1) He wouldn't have gotten injured if he didn't have to protect Josuke.
2) The rat had a good matchup against him. He's strong, but not fucking invincible.

The fact that Jotaro couldn't punch his way through all of his problems in part 4 is a good thing, and you're totally downplaying his ridiculously good moments like when he bodied Kira despite being near death

There are, with very few exceptions, no power levels in JoJo. Has nothing to do with plot armor (which also isn't a thing in the series).

To pretty much take all of these together, what got nerfed was his ability to think. You see the same pattern with Joseph in Stardust as you see it with Jotaro in Diamond. One of Joseph's hallmarks was his cleverness, which was, outside of a rare moment here or there, pretty much gone in Stardust (yes I know he got old). I would say it's virtually the same with Jotaro in Diamond albeit to a lesser degree. It's that always having a plan B sort of thing that I see as plot armor since it seems to switch to whomever is the protag at that point.

Main protagonist is a healer? His side kick has a Metapod which evolves? The villains' powers are also more mundane and less threatening. Most don't have the intent to kill so the stake is a lot less here.

first thing your under selling Josuke ability it's not just healing, just stick with it and see what happens

second about villians being not as threatening well that's understandble to some degree but part 4 isn't about a big evil trying to take over the world, DiU is about a bunch of people trying to protect there home town and most off the encounters a just normal people that a living is said town, DiU asks "what would normal people do with stands?" some try to use them to get a quick buck, some try to use them to improve there craft and some try to use them help other people, simple as that

convo

People who like part 3 tend to also like part 5 and like part 4 less than both. Part 6 is a wild card depending on the person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom