• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really enjoyed Jojo Stardust Crusaders. Cannot stand DIU. Will it get any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
Let me put it this way: if you were going to make a movie out of Diamond is Unbreakable, what would you cut? There's a great feature-length film in there, but it obviously does not include the entire runtime of the anime.

You can call the remainder what you want, if you find "filler" too offensive call it "supplemental material" or the "extended cut".
You can't assess what you can or can't afford to keep in a story by judging it against the standards of another medium. Part 4 is a story that was always intended to be read long-form.

I don't think there's a great feature-length story in Part 4 either. At least not a story you could compare to the source material and say is enjoyable along similar terms. The main villain is my favourite in the entire series, but he only has as much impact as he does because of how much time the series spends sharing the town and its' people with you.

To put it in more modern terms, finding out the murderer in Persona 4 matters a whole lot less if you don't spend the year in the town.

You can't assess what you can or can't afford to keep in a story by judging it against the standards of another medium. Part 4 is a story that was always intended to be read long-form.

I don't think there's a great feature-length story in Part 4 either. At least not a story you could compare to the source material and say is enjoyable along similar terms. The main villain is my favourite in the entire series, but he only has as much impact as he does because of how much time the series spends sharing the town and its' people with you.

To put it in more modern terms, finding out the murderer in Persona 4 matters a whole lot less if you don't spend the year in the town.

Persona is basically just JoJo with more waifus. 4 is DIU down to a science.

If not for the world building how would I ever know Jotaro just wanted to be able to talk to dolphins? My life is better for having known that fact.

If not for the world building how would I ever know Jotaro just wanted to be able to talk to dolphins? My life is better for having known that fact.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love every moment Jotaro is on the screen in Part 4. Half the time he's probably unnecessary, but he makes everything better for me.

I fully understand liking the extraneous stuff. The Oingo Boingo side story is one of my favorite bits of Part 3, and that's just about the most unnecessary aside there is. I just also understand that when an author is writing for Weekly Shonen Jump they spend half their waking hours just trying to stay ahead of deadline, and some of the chapters that get pushed tend to be whatever they could ship that week as a result, rather than what's actually best for the overarching narrative.

I think this is entirely evident in how much more focused and proficient Araki's writing became the moment he left Shonen Jump.

Moonlight

Banned
Persona 4 has that thing where (vague end of P4 spoilers)
it cut in a bunch of scenes of the ostensible murderer lamenting how his plans were foiled that made no sense and seemed to have nothing to do with anything once the real culprit and his motives were discovered.

Lulubop

No way, That Pillar Men spread is stil the goat posse down in the series.

Part 2 has the best posses in general, no tip of the iceberg there bruh

bjork

Wait. Persona 4 is like DIU?

I have the vita one but I've never even booted it up. I should probably do that after hearing this.

Kthulhu

To answer your question OP. Part 7 is the best finished part.

I have the vita one but I've never even booted it up. I should probably do that after hearing this.

Oh yeah. Not 1 to 1, but clearly inspired by.

Dio

Banned

Persona 3 and 4 are HEAVILY inspired by DiU. Ridiculously so, and especially 4.

Personas are basically Stands. Actually, almost all "spiritual ghost that fights for a human user" manga/anime, like Shaman King, are all inspired by Jojo in some respect.

I don't understand the tropes complaint ..two highschoolers get a romantic relationship but nothing about it fits any tropes. They actually do get together too instead of spending the entire series roaming and hinting about it (I am looking at you Naruto!!)

Anyway, stick with it longer to the main bad guy. DiU is like 2001 space Odyssey, starts slow and builds up slowly for a grand finale

Breads

Banned
6Kvsyrv.gif

If this offends your conception of masculinity, violence, character arcs, and writing in general then you should give up on Jojo. It's not for you.

:edit:

No seriously you bawked at Josuke being a "healer". Get out.

KdylanR92

I couldn't stand the main character's design so I pretty much stop watching immediately. I've heard this season was the peak of Jojo but having the MC look so stupid was a dealbreaker for me.

bjork

I couldn't stand the main character's design so I pretty much stop watching immediately. I've heard this season was the peak of Jojo but having the MC look so stupid was a dealbreaker for me.

But they explain why he looks that way and it's a good reason.

Eila

Peak Jojo was part 2. It's all downhill from there.
Araki just evolves his art style as his story goes on. He doesn't do any changes to his style at the beginning of arcs, but through the years it runs. I mean I guess all authors of long-running manga do this, but in Jojo it's one of the most apparent. Left-right is over a period of like 4 years (middle is the anime design of course).
ivoUtuDvpjx5-VA3Hi7nuoYriZrQ_uyIgt-4DAgJ7QyDIZgABdvgBeySLPUcrp48pYYB7G9Xms8prG8=w1366-h768-rw-no

LotusHD

Banned
Man, I always thought that if you're a fan of Jojo, you just get to a point where nothing too weird or stupid. All is accepted.

Zocano

I can't tell if you watched Part 1 and 2 (Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency respectively) or not...

Honestly my favorite parts still and from what you've said you liked about Part 3, they'd be up your alley.

But I am kinda flabbergasted that you said Part 3 didn't have any "filler", it was the most monster-of-the-week Jojo and part of why I just don't like Part 3 and the majority of Part 4.

Lol good one.

He's not wrong.

Jojo Part 2 is best Jojo
depending on how hard I sneeze or how strong the breeze blows, I might say Jojo Part 1, they're basically even for me

Permanently A

Ha it could be, as I have not gotten that far. I got burned halfway through part 6 and just never went back. But Jojo part 2 was just right man.

My guy, Steel Ball Run is apex JoJo. Hell, it's apex battle manga. And I totally feel you on burning out, I burnt out on stone ocean and SBR breathes new life into the series in a way I didn't even think was possible.

Matsukaze

He's not wrong.

Jojo Part 2 is best Jojo
depending on how hard I sneeze or how strong the breeze blows, I might say Jojo Part 1, they're basically even for me
As someone who's up-to-date with the manga, Part 2 is pretty much mid-tier stuff.

Dio

Banned
My guy, Steel Ball Run is apex JoJo. Hell, it's apex battle manga. And I totally feel you on burning out, I burnt out on stone ocean and SBR breathes new life into the series in a way I didn't even think was possible.

「Welcome to the True Man's World」

Breads

Banned
Man, I always thought that if you're a fan of Jojo, you just get to a point where nothing too weird or stupid. All is accepted.

Not all fans of Jojo are Jojo fans. The series is long and covers many distinct stories/ writing styles/ character designs/ poses and I find that a significant portion of people who are readily able to accept BattleTendency or Stardrust Crusaders are thrown completely the fuck off by Gappy, Johnny being
(second fiddle to Gyro)
paraplegic, Jolyne being a woman, Josuke's hair and DIU's Japan setting, and Giorno and his gang being fabulous as fuck (story complaints are valid, there is an argument to be made about current translations, but this isn't what I'm talking about).

Part six to part seven in particular is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I, for one, love the whole god damn thing.

Taiser

Peak Jojo was part 2. It's all downhill from there.
Araki just evolves his art style as his story goes on. He doesn't do any changes to his style at the beginning of arcs, but through the years it runs. I mean I guess all authors of long-running manga do this, but in Jojo it's one of the most apparent. Left-right is over a period of like 4 years (middle is the anime design of course).
ivoUtuDvpjx5-VA3Hi7nuoYriZrQ_uyIgt-4DAgJ7QyDIZgABdvgBeySLPUcrp48pYYB7G9Xms8prG8=w1366-h768-rw-no

gimme left all day... going from SDC's Hokuto no Ken likeness to that unremarkable DIU anime style was quite a shock for me.

I can't tell if you watched Part 1 and 2 (Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency respectively) or not...

Honestly my favorite parts still and from what you've said you liked about Part 3, they'd be up your alley.

But I am kinda flabbergasted that you said Part 3 didn't have any "filler", it was the most monster-of-the-week Jojo and part of why I just don't like Part 3 and the majority of Part 4.

Watched beginning and ending of part I, thought I was way too slow. Read somewhere online that says jump to part 3 where stands are introduced and things got more interesting. So I read a few chapters of manga of part II and jumped into 3. I might go back and watch anime part II.

Dio

Banned
gimme left all day... going from SDC's Hokuto no Ken likeness to that unremarkable DIU anime style was quite a shock for me.

He finally found his own style instead of ripping off Hokuto no Ken, which I didn't mind.

Steel Ball Run is many times more technically refined, better looking, composed, and aesthetically pleasing than any of his other work, including parts 1-3.

Guess Who

Banned
It has no bullshit paddling or filler, and gets into action immediately.

Nearly all of Stardust Crusaders between the first five episodes and last five episodes is "bullshit padding or filler", if we're judging by the same standards as you seem to be judging DiU. Almost none of those fights matter at all.

The plot is simplistic and effective: we need to defeat the baddies to save someone, let's go.

Cool, the single most common and generic plot in all of storytelling.

The powers are interesting and both sides are creative in abusing them.

Stardust Crusaders has the most boring Stands in the whole series. Naturally it would, because it was the first part to have Stands, but still. The main cast's stands include:

1) Punch Ghost
2) Fire Punch Ghost
3) Fast Punch Ghost
4) Punch Ghost that can also possess people but this almost never comes up again
5) Punching a camera to take a ghost photograph. That's it. That's all it does.

Villains are well designed and there is actual stake in play.

The stakes for almost literally every fight up until Dio basically boils down to "we have to beat this person to get to Dio" with little to no variation. Most of the villains are extremely flat characters that just exist to get satisfyingly oraoraora'd.

Most characters are exaggeratedly masculine which is a breath of fresh air in anime. (No more boy band style.)

Perhaps compared to modern anime, I guess, but at the time it was written in the early 90s the art style was pretty clearly inspired by stuff like Fist of the North Star.

No more high school tropes, it actually feels like an adventure. (Like Onepiece.)

This is just your personal distaste for stories involving high schools. There's no shortage of other types of tropes in Stardust Crusaders; it borrows pretty heavily not just from other shonen manga but also action movies.

Disclaimer: I think Stardust Crusaders is a boring, overlong slog whose only redeeming qualities are ROAD ROLLAAAAAA and setting up the rest of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom