• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really short games you keep coming back to

I've been playing Out of this World/Another World for 25 years and I can't get enough of it:

Megadrive_another_world.png

The game is very linear and I can easily beat it in 30-40 minutes, I guess. However, it's so immersive, and it tells it's story in such a minimalistic and interesting way I never get tired of it.

Also, there is this short and sweet 3DS game called Ikachan, by the developer of Cave Story:

Sz010jp.jpg

I guess I can beat it in under 40 minutes, but it's such a cool game! It's very charming and very fun to play. I've played through it many times.

Finally, there's the original Prince of Persia:

hfXdL75.jpg

It's a very elegant game. It's short, it's immersive and it's a wonderful example of great game design. I can beat it in under 1 hour. I've played through it on the Apple II, DOS, Mac, Game Gear, SNES (this one is amazing!), XBLA (Prince of Persia Classic, this one is very good) and Android. Still sad there's no Wii/Wii U port.

What about you guys?

maxcriden

What's Another World's gameplay like? I have the Wii U version of the Anniversary Edition but haven't played it.

For me...hmm...I guess Woah Dave! if that counts. It's an arcade-based score game. It's like a modern Mario Bros. it's also got free Wii U/3DS cross-buy (or maybe Wii U is free if you get 3DS first? something like that).

large.jpg

large.jpg

The Nintendo Life review says it best, really:

Dave Letcavage said:
It doesn’t take long to get an encompassing look at what Woah Dave has to offer, and while it does what it does in a commendable fashion, it’s not redefining the genre or reinventing the wheel — and that’s absolutely okay. It’s very clear that the developer wanted to make an arcade-style game that harkens back to the classics you played on Atari, NES, or at your local pizza joint all those years ago. Even the home screen icon is of an arcade cabinet, and it’s a mighty comforting sight upon unwrapping the game. If you’re into high-score chasing time-killers, then Woah Dave deserves your consideration. It’s fun, it’s polished, and it’s called Woah Dave. That’s a name we (this reviewer in particular) can get behind.

Full review: http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds-eshop/woah_dave

Game is just pure fun chaos. Excellent for pick-up-and-play. Pretty addictive. I am not huge on arcade-y experiences usually but man, is this game just plain fun. It very much feels like a spiritual successor to the original arcade Mario Bros. I used to find that game very addictive when included with the Super Mario Advance games, especially the original. There is something about reaching the subsequent levels that taps into that primal gaming urge of "just one more run." Woah Dave! offers a delightful spin on that same concept, and at the price of half a simple haircut, you can keep growing your hair out and make it stand on end instead, as the difficulty ramps up with as your score increases. (Apologies for the ridiculous comparison.)

bobawesome

Bloodborne

It's very short once you know your way around. I like to blast through it sometimes while listening to podcasts.

I almost feel bad for saying this, but Super Mario Bros 3. :) This game is so in my system I can beat it so easily nowadays. So if I use flutes and stuff i can easily get it down within half an hour I guess... Man those good old days when you werent able to save...

redcrayon

Lylat Wars, Streets of Rage 2, Probotector and the NES Megaman games are all games I run through occasionally if I have a spare hour or so.

tesla246

Starfox Snes; just thinking about it gets me pumped, love that game.

Megaman X, not really short, but because I know all the secrets, can complete it in 2 hours easily.

Star Fox 64, Super Mario Bros., MGS: Ground Zeroes (More replayable than TPP), Donkey Kong, most SHMUPS: Akai Katana and Deathsmiles for example, Sonic Adventure's a fun quicky if you just stick with Sonic.

A lot of indie and NES games can be finished in well under an hour.

Nheco

XCOM. I played it on 360, I played it on PS3, I played it on PC, I'm playing it on my phone and I can't wait to it comes to PS Vita to play it again.

Sorry: they aren't exactly short :)

Auctopus

I kind of want to play Another World but the clips I've seen make it look infuriatingly difficult due to being so ambiguous with threats to the player.

gelf

Many good arcade style games are built around this. Streets of Rage 2 is my most played game of all time.

I love Another World as well. It's so atmospheric and quiet... It's awesome.

Sadly, it's own gameplay is heavily based in trial and error, but I recommend it for every gamer.

Jucksalbe

Banned
V8KN5yC.jpg

I play through Mega Man 2 once or twice a month. Just a nice game to relax.

And while not nearly as short, I like to play through the story mode of Mirror's Edge whenever I find the time.

Great suggestions, guys, many games I haven't played yet. Thanks!

I kind of want to play Another World but the clips I've seen make it look infuriatingly difficult due to being so ambiguous with threats to the player.

Yes, it will drive you insane. I guess it was so cool at the time, not only when it comes to storytelling, but also technology, that it ended up being a hit. I don't know if people playing it for the first time now will enjoy it, but if you have a soft spot for minimalist narratives (like I do), maybe you should give it a try.

What's Another World's gameplay like? I have the Wii U version of the Anniversary Edition but haven't played it.

Imagine a cross between Prince of Persia and quick time event games ^_^ There's no quicktime, of course, it's an action game, but there's always a very specific action you should take in order to win.

Many brawlers and fighting games. Usually arcade games. But I'll pick none of those for this thread.

21030_front.jpg

Short and easy. I love playing it just to relax.

Yukinari

Luigi's Mansion each halloween if im in the mood for it on hidden mansion difficulty and A ranked.

I do like to dabble in GBA games too. Warioware Twisted never gets old for me.

lohankain

4322518093_f89294118f.jpg

Really love this game since my childhood.

781349-popcx3016.jpg

I played the Master System version, but this for Xbox 360 is the best for sure.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Small Counter Strike session. But just yesterday I bought GO, so the session are much longer lol, I can play this thing all day.

Happypea

Neo Member
Old games, I revisit Loom from time to time, that game has always had something for me I don't know what.

Not exactly short but i keep going back to diablo 2 at least once a year, even though I always lose interest around the Diablo fight.

woopWOOP

V8KN5yC.jpg

I play through Mega Man 2 once or twice a month. Just a nice game to relax.
For me it's more like once a year or so, but yeah it's short and fun game to go through. Throwing metal blades in every direction, good stuff good stuff.

WVW69iR1j8QUz7VUJt

Trip World's another favorite of mine. You're done within 15 minutes or so and it's incredibly easy (70% of the 'enemies' don't even hurt you), but it's just so charming and fun to see the different enemy types react to your actions.

Top Bottom