• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Really short games you keep coming back to

Agreeing with the mentions of Rez, StarFox, MegaMan 2, Outrun 2...

As a fan of Arcade games and classic games, I tend to return to shorter, gameplay-focused experiences all the time.

I'll add Streets of Rage 2 for brawlers, Metal Slug 1,X,3 for jump n' shoot games, the OG Super Mario Bros game, Cave Shmups (especially Deathsmiles and Bug Princess). If fighting game single player modes count to that, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special & 2, Last Blade 1&2 and old Dead or Alive (2,3,4) games all the way! And shorter 8 and 16bit games in general, I return to the classics very often.

Something about just playing a game you know already, like already, still can get better at it and you know you will finish it in one sitting is really reassuring and relaxing, especially since in general games just get bigger and bigger.

Psyren

As of late:

- Streets of Fury EX
- A couple of arena-style/single screen shmups (If those are considered a valid choice)

If i still had my 360 hooked up to my monitor:

- Score Rush

mdzapeer

Out-Run-Screenshot-570x320.jpg

When the gameplay and soul is so sublime, you gotta come back for more....

Same here, the music and gameplay and tracks...sublime. Especially at 4k :)

The classic Resident Evils, Mega Man 1 - 10 and Streets of Rage Remake are almost always in rotation. Ever since I built my arcade cabinet SoR:R gets played almost every two weeks. Shovel Knight is starting to be played fairly regularly as well.

Ninja-Turtles-Turtles-in-Time-Arcade1.jpg

Turtles in fucking Time.

I was gonna say this, Golden Axe and The Simpsons Arcade game.

Man, I love beat 'em ups and can't wait until they become the next "indie 2d sidescroller" where everyone starts making them one day out of the blue.

I think it's a matter of the kids that grew up in the 90s entering indie development and making the types of games they enjoyed as kids, which is what happened with indies of today making "2d sidescrollers" since that's what they grew up with. It looks like 3d platformers are the next "big indie thing" which I couldn't be happier about :D

cireza

Final Fight CD
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Rocket Knight Adventure
Outrun 2
After Burner Climax
House of the Dead 2
Sengoku Blade

Love those games.

Battleheart by Mikamoble.

An older game, but I love the simple mechanics of it. The art matches the simplicity of it all, and theres not a lot to min/max stats-wise.

Its nothing fancy, but pretty fun.

Hmmm...

Pac-Man, Mirror's Edge, Jet Set Radio, DMC4, Gunman Clive... And maybe a few others? I think those are the shortest ones.

Bamboo

Already mentioned:
REZ, Super Hexagon, Wario Ware Twisted

Also:
Wario Ware, Speluky ("short" depends on definition) + Monsters in my Pocket with a friend in coop

PillarEN

None really. Each year I play Halo CE but I wouldn't call it short.

Oh wait. I have played Flower and Journey about a dozen times since their release so that may as well count though it has been many months since I last played them.

LakeEarth

For me...hmm...I guess Woah Dave! if that counts. It's an arcade-based score game. It's like a modern Mario Bros. it's also got free Wii U/3DS cross-buy (or maybe Wii U is free if you get 3DS first? something like that).
I really liked Woah Dave. I always thought it was a blend of Joust and Mario Bros, but with more variety. I've seen a lot of negativity towards it on these boards, but I get why people who haven't explored early 80s arcade games would get a bad first impression.

Ultimadrago

Many brawlers and fighting games. Usually arcade games. But I'll pick none of those for this thread.

21030_front.jpg

Short and easy. I love playing it just to relax.

Yep. Kirby's Dreamland is a great answer.

I also used to 100% Kirby Superstar back in the day for fun. Not "super short" I guess, but short enough to complete fairly quickly.

I just plow through them in less than 30 mins, no cheating.

Contra
55137-Contra_(USA)-7.jpg

Lifeforce
Life+Force_%2528NES%2529_10.png

Castlevania
3001-castlevania-n.jpg

I do it once every few months just to keep my skills fresh. I can usually one-life Contra. I managed to one-life Lifeforce a couple of very rare times (damn end tubes!). No dice for Castlevania. Too easy to fall into a random hole.

SFIII 3rd Strike, Dodonpachi, many Sega arcade racing games (Outrunners, Virtua Racing, Top Skater etc.), Tekken 3 and 5, Metal Slug, Aladdin (Genesis version), and a few others.

Playsage

Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back, Crash Team Racing and Tekken 3.

"On Sony Playstation born and raised..."

The first is basically the game that got me in to the medium when I was child (and once you remember the levels and gimmicks it's easily beatable in under 3 hours). IMHO CTR is one of the best kart game of all time (played Sonic ASR: Transformed on PS3 and I still prefer this, haven't played MK8). Tekken is Tekken, and 3 is the best title of the series (obviously when it comes to gameplay 5/DR is the superior one)

Daknight

Punch-out, Super Metroid and Street Fighter alpha 3 (my favorite for some reason...loved the GBA version even with its limitations!)

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
So short, so sweet. It's such a perfectly crafted experience that I'm almost a little nervous about how the new area in Infinite will affect that (I still want to play it, of course!).

Rez. Second post nails it. The #1 game I've replayed in my adult life

Lunar15

Platinum is really good at this. Most of their games are just short enough with enough incentive to replay them that I'm constantly going back in. They're probably the only games I replay a lot.

A Link to the Past is really the only other one. Putting that thing on the GBA was like instant crack.

Great topic! I love short replayable games too. I play a lot of short PC indies and NES games. NES Trojan is one of my favs but also agree with NES Punchout, Castlevania and Contra.

TMNT Hyperstone Heist and SoR2 also fit the bill for the Genesis. Completely agree that shooters and brawlers are tailor-made for quick, single player or co-op fun.

Btw, love Ikachan. Played the freeware on PC years ago. I played it more than Cave Story, just preferred the smaller scale. Recently purchased Kero Blaster, can see this one being another fun and quickie to add to the list.

PantsuJo

I have a lot of arcade games in my Steam library, so "short and fun" is my favorite way to play, shmups, racing, fighting'.
But I also appreciate some short but intense RPGs as the Ys games or little gem like Crimson Shroud.

The original Legend of Zelda for NES. Lots of dungeons, but a pretty small game that can be completed in a couple hours.

Ocarina of Time is easily the shortest 3D Zelda game (I can beat it in less than 5 hours without really trying that hard), but it's the one I come back to the most.

I also really enjoy replaying Metroid: Zero Mission (thanks Virtual Console!), Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Journey.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Resogun!

I can't stop going back to that one. Whether running through the campaign or going for high scores. I've slowly mastered Demolition mode, just recently hit 134m points to rank 66 on the boards, which is pretty insane.

Mondrian

Any Metal Slug game, on free play of course. The pixel art quality in those games are completely unmatched even to this day.

Justinh

Full Throttle, although I haven't played it in a while because I lost the disc. I could beat it in 15 minutes, and would run through it often.

Ultimate Doom. I can run through the first episode in less than an hour, and I'll do it often still on the Xbox version or with Brutal Doom through Zandronum.

I don't know if it's exactly short, but I'll run through Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory every now and then and it doesn't seem to take too long. I will grind out a little bit in it for a while, though.

Machinarium. I love this game. There are two puzzles that will still get me fiddling with it even though I know what I'm supposed to do, but I'll play it occasionally still. It'll take me about an hour start to finish.

The Inner World. Last Point 'n Click. I love this game. I don't know how long it takes me to finish, but I think it's less than an hour. I'll play through it every now and then. I just love the art and the style of the game.

edit: oh yeah, I'll play through Super C every once in a while on my Wii. I still freaking love this game, as I did when I was a kid. Takes like... half-an-hour.

Top Bottom