• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebellion still in the dark on Nintendo NX: "I know no more about NX than you do."

http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/sniper_elite_2/news/rebellion_still_in_the_dark_on_nintendo_nx.html

Rebellion CEO Jason Kingsley has told VideoGamer that he doesn't know anything more about the Nintendo NX than anybody else, despite rumours suggesting that the console could go on sale as early as this year.

"Nintendo are brilliant," Kingsley said. "They're a fabulous company and I love them. I always feel they're quite eccentric. They come up with some incredible hardware. Even the Virtua Boy back in the day was really intriguing, and then the clamshell design of their handhelds. To be honest, I just don't know [whether Rebellion will support NX]. The only way I can answer the question is, when we know what the machine is we'll see and we'll have a look. I've always loved Nintendo, I love their games and love their hardware.

"I know no more about [NX] than you do, so we'd be purely speculating," he continued. "If it's something that will run our games and if it isn't some weird wobble balance board or something that's totally irrelevant to what we're doing then, if we can and if there's a market there, if there's a commercial opportunity, then we definitely want to capitalise on that."

This is ridiculous. Either Nintendo is keeping developers in the dark on purpose - which would be idiotic and the complete opposite of what they should be doing - or NX isn't launching this year.

Somehow I don't think a dev who's made only one game on Nintendo hardware this gen (SE2 on Wii U without online) is high on Nintendo's priority list.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Companies like Rebellion are not the kind of third parties that Nintendo is aiming at with NX, they want indies, mobile developers and Japanese studios rather than large Western companies. There is no market for Rebellion's type of games on Nintendo hardware, there won't be for years if ever.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sniper Elite (ported by someone else) and Sniper Elite V2 (done by Rebellion themselves, iirc) both came out on Wii and Wii U respectively.

Didn't they cut some features from Sniper Elite V2 in the Wii U version?

Why would they know? Have they ever released a game on a Nintendo platform before?
So we should confine it only to developers who have released games on a Nintendo system before? Seems counter productive. Shouldn't we be reaching out and collaborating with as many developers as possible?

prwxv3

Somehow I don't think a dev who's made only one game on Nintendo hardware this gen (SE2 on Wii U without online) is high on Nintendo's priority list.

That is a huge problem. They need every dev they can get. More devs = more games it's not fucking rocket science. Sony is trying to get anyone and everyone to develope for the PS4.

So we should confine it only to developers who have released games on a Nintendo system before? Seems counter productive. Shouldn't we be reaching out and collaborating with as many developers as possible?

Has Rebellion applied for an nx kit and signed the documents required?

sense

this kind of attitude is puzzling to see and one of the reasons for their software droughts. announce the god damn thing early and get developers on board.

DrWong

Companies like Rebellion are not the kind of third parties that Nintendo is aiming at with NX, they want indies, mobile developers and Japanese studios rather than large Western companies. There is no market for Rebellion's type of games on Nintendo hardware, there won't be for years if ever.
Rebellion is a almost a "one game at a time" company/studio you know :]

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Rebellion doesnt need to be on NX in the launch months and the NX is doesnt need a Rebellion game early to be a success - thats all it comes to at the end. Either Nintendo pushes to have a dev/game on their system early...or the dev pushes Nintendo to get the details/dev kits early from Nintendo.

If there is no interest from both side you wont just magically get information about a unannounced system.

Why would they know? Have they ever released a game on a Nintendo platform before?

Isn't this everything that's wrong with Nintendo, though? If I worked for Nintendo, I'd want to be reaching out to these companies and trying to find out why they haven't supported Nintendo in the past.

Once you start having that conversation, you can find ways to resolve the issues. Surely that's what a good platform holder should do?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Going by Trev's other articles, the ones with a third party developer as a source, it seems Rebellion surely isn't one of the "key partners" that have been working on the platform for a while, like Namco, Square, EA (?), but one of those who could aim for the general distribution of dev kits.

Adam Blue

I would think that's not what Nintendo is doing this time around. Making their hardware attractive to any dev, especially in time for launch, would be a good idea.

But, Nintendo could just be sticking to their old ways, just enticing EA/Acti to do more.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Isn't this everything that's wrong with Nintendo, though? If I worked for Nintendo, I'd want to be reaching out to these companies and trying to find out why they haven't supported Nintendo in the past.

Once you start having that conversation, you can find ways to resolve the issues. Surely that's what a good platform holder should do?

Ressources are limited pre-launch and Nintendo have bigger pubs/devs to court at this point.
So they should to sign before knowing what is for?

Well...yeah ? The system hasnt been announced/unveiled yet...ofc the plattform holder wont just show it to everybody beforehand if there isnt at least a little bit of interest.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Lets be honest. Its rare to even find a 3rd party that has make even 1 game on a Nintendo hardware nowadays.

DrWong

Going by Trev's other articles, the ones with a third party developer as a source, it seems Rebellion surely isn't one of the "key partners" that have been working on the platform for a while, like Namco, Square, EA (?), but one of those who could aim for the general distribution of dev kits.
Rebellion isn't a "key partner" to anything lol :]

It's a non news NX related and it will only serve as a basis for the usual posters/postures about 3rd paties. War.

thefro

Also if Trev's right, it should be fairly easy for Rebellion to port their titles over to the NX if they desire.

Can you elaborate? Sounds fucked up/funny.

sniper_elite_v2_compared.jpg

I agree with this, the only western publishers that Nintendo will try to get are EA/Ubi/Acti like usual.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, I agree with this. Them hiding is not doing them any favors. Also means their launch support (IF late 2016) will be lacking if devs get dev kits late. I understand them not giving dev kits or infio to lesser devs (like small indies that are small). But higher profile devs, esp ones that are producing their own retail games, Nintendo should be reaching out to them.

So they should to sign before knowing what is for?

All dev kits require application paperwork and NDA. In the case of a pre launch secretive product, there is a fairly prohibitive NDA in place.

If this studio hasn't applied, they aren't going to know anything. Why would they? The product isn't out or even revealed yet.

Guymelef

All dev kits require application paperwork and NDA. In the case of a pre launch secretive product, there is a fairly prohibitive NDA in place.

If this studio hasn't applied, they aren't going to know anything. Why would they? The product isn't out or even revealed yet.

Maybe because they are developers and not consumers...?

Maybe they must to spend thousands on devkits and wait to open the box to discover if there is a handheld, or what is...

But aren't the 'big dogs' like Ubi and EA in the know about it though? Maybe it's just a few developers that don't know about it yet. I sure hope that's the case.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I would think that's not what Nintendo is doing this time around. Making their hardware attractive to any dev, especially in time for launch, would be a good idea.

But, Nintendo could just be sticking to their old ways, just enticing EA/Acti to do more.

You are living in a dream world if you think NX will cater to cutting edge Western developers, everything they have said about their ideas for NX says otherwise. Nintendo's number one priority is creating a platform that can get their first party software sales back on track, their biggest franchises are selling horrendously in comparison to the Wii era and targeting AAA mega studios isn't going to fix that. They need a platform that is affordable first and foremost.

TheMoon

Didn't they cut some features from Sniper Elite V2 in the Wii U version?

Yes. The game only had the barebones singleplayer campaign in there. MP was gone completely. And it didn't support Miiverse/browser screenshots outside of the title screen. Having all the UI stuff on the gamepad was cool, though. And, I believe, it ran at 60fps (not entirely sure about this right now).

killroy87

The more developers Nintendo reaches out to, the higher the chances of something leaking. It makes total sense that they are only talking to certain devs at this point, probably the ones with the highest chances of supporting them with quality software.

Top Bottom