• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebellion still in the dark on Nintendo NX: "I know no more about NX than you do."

sense

i guess nintendo gonna nintendo again and hope to catch lightning in a bottle so developers will flock to them to make games rather than being proactive and reaching out to as many devs as possible and working with them to bring games to their platform

The more developers Nintendo reaches out to, the higher the chances of something leaking. It makes total sense that they are only talking to certain devs at this point, probably the ones with the highest chances of supporting them with quality software.
what is the big deal if something leaks if you are supposedly releasing this year?

Maybe because they are developers and not consumers...?

Developers are people too. They can often talk and say things to people that they shouldn't. Hence why a legally binding document is in place to stem that. If Rebellion wants nx information pre launch/pre e3 development meetings, they have to apply for an nx development license.

Guymelef

The more developers Nintendo reaches out to, the higher the chances of something leaking. It makes total sense that they are only talking to certain devs at this point, probably the ones with the highest chances of supporting them with quality software.

Right, Ori developers won't fit there.

i guess nintendo gonna nintendo again and hope to catch lightning in a bottle so developers will flock to them to make games rather than being proactive and reaching out to as many devs as possible and working with them to bring games to their platform

. Yep seems like it. They will never learn.

KJRS_1993

Nintendo's number one priority is creating a platform that can get their first party software sales back on track

Which is absolutely not going to happen unless they meaningfully get third parties on board so people actually have some interest in buying the console. (and by extention, are able to buy the first party games)

If Nintendo release yet another console where you can't play the Destiny's, the Division's, the Battlefield's or the FIFA's, it'll go down precisely the same hole the WiiU did, and their first party sales along with them.

How do you make quality AAA software in 6 months if the NX is launching this year. Heck 6 months is the average delay of each Nintendo game.

Phamit

Well, Devs with information can't say that they know something

Did Rebellion say if they knew the specs of the ps4/xbox one before they were announced?

TheMoon

sniper_elite_v2_compared.jpg

Not sure how many Wii U games you've played but this is normal. You exit games via the Home Menu on 3DS and Wii U.

They probably wouldn't be one of the first to reach out to, no.

They don't have to be to still have info about the console.

Rebellion isn't a "key partner" to anything lol :]

It's a non news NX related and it will only serve as a basis for the usual posters/postures about 3rd paties. War.

Rebellion released Sniper Elite 3 on the PS4/Xbox One eight months after they launched. It was also announced quite a bit before either console launched. Which means they had to have had the kits before those consoles launched. So they seem important enough to Sony and MS to not be left in the dark about their consoles.

I don't see this as a big deal. Nintendo can best hope for major third party support (EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.), the same support that the Wii received and the Wii U as well (but only at launch). They won't receive the same support as PS4/One even if the system sells really well (at first, at least) and frankly, Rebellion is far from a priority and they shouldn't have released the sniper game at all on Wii U if they were going to gut the features.

Ressources are limited pre-launch and Nintendo have bigger pubs/devs to court at this point.

I get that, but I just think it's the wrong attitude. If you want the platform to be successful, you go and see as many people as you absolutely can. I get Rebellion may be towards the lower-half of the list, but maybe you invite as many devs as possible to come to you and brief them all together. There are ways to solve these problems if you want to.

I dunno, I just think the attitude "they don't release games for us so fuck 'em" is the wrong one - even if there are bigger fish to fry.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wouldn't expect a western developer to know anything about the NX. Nintendo only buddies up with Japanese developers.

marmoka

Banned
Probably they know enough about NX, but due to privacy policies and other legal issues, they are not allowed to say anything. In these situations, it's better to behave like an ignorant rather than saying "Yes, but I cannot talk about it". If you say that, everyone would struggle you until you say something you shouldn't.

Or probably it's true they know nothing about the console.

I get that, but I just think it's the wrong attitude. If you want the platform to be successful, you go and see as many people as you absolutely can. I get Rebellion may be towards the lower-half of the list, but maybe you invite as many devs as possible to come to you and brief them all together.

I dunno, I just think the attitude "they don't release games for us so fuck 'em" is the wrong one - even if there are bigger fish to fry.

I wouldn't see it as fuck em just a tier system of who they reach out to first.

killroy87

what is the big deal if something leaks if you are supposedly releasing this year?

Umm, I don't know how to answer that without being super sarcastic, haha. Pretty sure Nintendo wants to control their own messaging, no matter what the time frame.

Right, Ori developers won't fit there.

Haha, I suppose quality was the wrong word. I meant software that has a higher chance of making money and catching the public eye.

mclem

Rebellion is a almost a "one game at a time" company/studio you know :]

Certainly never used to be the case; while I was there there were times when I was hopping between multiple projects, going where my skills were needed.

Things did always feel a bit frosty to Nintendo at the company - although that perception might be in part due to one of my producers who was quite... vocally opinionated about them. It was the case that we had to jump through hoops to support their hardware, though - the endianness difference between Gamecube and Xbox/PS2 was a pain in the arse.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Probably they know enough about NX, but due to privacy policies and other legal issues, they are not allowed to say anything. In these situations, it's better to behave like an ignorant rather than saying "Yes, but I cannot talk about it". If you say that, everyone would struggle you until you say something you shouldn't.

Or probably it's true they know nothing about the console.

You are insanely optimistic if you truly think they know about NX, lol.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
. Yep seems like it. They will never learn.

Well they have learned in the sense that they are no longer counting on 3rd parties to supply games. The whole concept of NX and the restructuring of Nintendo in recent years, is aimed at creating a platform that Nintendo can support with first party software and not much more.

The market reality is that the audience for Call of Duty, Witcher 3 etc moved on from Nintendo hardware a long time ago. It makes no sense to go after those games when Nintendo's mindshare is at such feeble levels. They need to make a successful product before any AAA publisher is going to bring their big titles to the platform. They will be looking at sales of Mario Kart Wii (35m) and Mario Kart 8 (7m) and how to get back to those levels, Nintendo cannot afford another half-baked platform that can't even sell their own software, nor can they afford to try and outdo the PS4. NX is going to be Nintendo doing its own thing as they always have done.

Teletraan1

Banned
I have a feeling this is going to be an amalgam of previous Nintendo consoles as far as third party support goes. I think they need to hire some better people to work on 3rd party relations. Sony was dropping PS4 devkits on anyone that could cobble together Hello World. Nintendo has probably only given the NX to large AAA grindhouse pubs to get some launch ports. Has there been any large pubs that have said anything outside of SE letting it slip about a possible Dragon Warrior NX? Anyone outside of Japan? Who knows how far along the NX is though or when it is coming out.

The whole "Nintendo will embrace third parties, yo" was and will always be a pipe dream. What's the point? Activision and EA's audience don't play on Nintendo and Nintendo's audience don't play Activision or EA games (Skylanders being the exception). That's the reason big franchises like Madden or COD are seen as potential killer apps for Xbox's and Playstations and not on Nintendo. That's not even what Nintendo's trying to do right now. They probably aren't focusing on third parties. They want other people to experience their IP. NX will just be another way of doing so.

Why would they know? Have they ever released a game on a Nintendo platform before?

That's not the point, they did release one, but anyway, the fact that devs are getting their hands on hardware specs or maybe dev kits has to be concerning.

Many devs knew the PS4 and Xbone specs well before launch and nothing or significance was leaked. Devs know to keep things secret.

As usual, the next Nintendo console will only have first party games.

prwxv3

Umm, I don't know how to answer that without being super sarcastic, haha. Pretty sure Nintendo wants to control their own messaging, no matter what the time frame.

Haha, I suppose quality was the wrong word. I meant software that has a higher chance of making money and catching the public eye.

Sony has been trying to get devs on board no matter what the game is.

Well they have learned in the sense that they are no longer counting on 3rd parties to supply games. The whole concept of NX and the restructuring of Nintendo in recent years, is aimed at a platform that Nintendo can support with first party software and not much more.

The market reality is that the audience for Call of Duty, Witcher 3 etc moved on from Nintendo hardware a long time ago. It makes no sense to go after those games when Nintendo's mindshare is at such feeble levels. They need to make a successful product before any AAA publisher is going to bring their big titles to the platform. They will be looking at sales of Mario Kart Wii (35m) and Mario Kart 8 (7m) and how to get back to those levels, Nintendo cannot afford another half-baked platform that can't even sell their own software, nor can they afford to try and outdo the PS4.

Nintendo should not be looking at how to get back to those levels of first party software sales. They were anomalies, and very much a consequence of the Wii's market bubble. Unless they plan on creating another phenomenon like Wii, they shouldn't be looking to get Mario Kart etc. to sell those sorts of numbers again. They're only setting themselves up for a bigger fall that way. Wii market is gone and isn't coming back.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Considering the rumors of them just sitting down with EA this month I wouldn't put it past them.

The same rumours said that EA was among the first to get access to the hardware.

Even if we ignore that rumour, speaking generally, we have articles (Fortune/WSJ) and "hints" (John Harker) about how discussions with third parties started even before E3 2015 with some publishers.

GeeTeeCee

Well they have learned in the sense that they are no longer counting on 3rd parties to supply games. The whole concept of NX and the restructuring of Nintendo in recent years, is aimed at a platform that Nintendo can support with first party software and not much more.

The market reality is that the audience for Call of Duty, Witcher 3 etc moved on from Nintendo hardware a long time ago. It makes no sense to go after those games when Nintendo's mindshare is at such feeble levels. They need to make a successful product before any AAA publisher is going to bring their big titles to the platform. They will be looking at sales of Mario Kart Wii (35m) and Mario Kart 8 (7m) and how to get back to those levels, Nintendo cannot afford another half-baked platform that can't even sell their own software, nor can they afford to try and outdo the PS4.

Admittedly I'm not a GAF sales expert, but doesn't third party support play a key role in the success of a console? I'm pretty sure the idea that "exclusives don't sell consoles" tends to turn up pretty frequently in the NPD threads.

DrWong

They don't have to be to still have info about the console.

Rebellion released Sniper Elite 3 on the PS4/Xbox One eight months after they launched. It was also announced quite a bit before either console launched. Which means they had to have had the kits before those consoles launched. So they seem important enough to Sony and MS to not be left in the dark about their consoles.
They're partners yes - they're even partners of the company I work for according to my emails history - but "key" is another league when we're talking new system.

And did you know Sniper Elite V2 Wii U launched 6 month afters the system launch? So does it mean they're more "key" to Nintendo than to Sony/MSN? Obviously not. In absolute, at this business level, they're not a "key", or only, maybe, if you can't get the new COD at launch...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Somehow I don't think a dev who's made only one game on Nintendo hardware this gen (SE2 on Wii U without online) is high on Nintendo's priority list.

Nintendo should be foaming at the mouth to accomodate any developer who is remotely interested in developing games for Nintendo platforms. Because those developers are becoming extremely rare. It should be Nintendo's number one priority.

Well they have learned in the sense that they are no longer counting on 3rd parties to supply games. The whole concept of NX and the restructuring of Nintendo in recent years, is aimed at creating a platform that Nintendo can support with first party software and not much more.

The market reality is that the audience for Call of Duty, Witcher 3 etc moved on from Nintendo hardware a long time ago. It makes no sense to go after those games when Nintendo's mindshare is at such feeble levels. They need to make a successful product before any AAA publisher is going to bring their big titles to the platform. They will be looking at sales of Mario Kart Wii (35m) and Mario Kart 8 (7m) and how to get back to those levels, Nintendo cannot afford another half-baked platform that can't even sell their own software, nor can they afford to try and outdo the PS4. NX is going to be Nintendo doing its own thing as they always have done.
This, basically.

I think Nintendo is totally fine with two things, engine-support for the big engines (UE, Frostbite, Cry-Engine, etc.) and having the annual blockbuster IPs like CoD or AssCreed back on the system.

Top Bottom