• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebuying things from your childhood

Sephimoth

Anyone else love rebuying things you had as a child/growing up?

Started with consoles and games, then moved onto figures, trading cards, sticker albums, toys, pogs/tazos, tamagotchis, etc. Now I'm looking at VHS tapes!
I've not recouped all these yet, but always looking out.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yeah it's barely worth it.
I have 3 windows 95-98 pcs and working 3dfx voodoo diamond monster.
That shit just sits there.
I would keep the 3dfx and should probably get rid of 2 computers and just keep 1.... but I can't let go. What if one breaks and I need parts?!
Or buying old games that I've pirated as a kid. Like, yeah it's fair but who cares 20 years later lol

Looked into buying a Gen 1 Transformers Skyfire and noped out after seeing the prices.

Consoles/games would probably be a big one if emulation wasn't so easy.

Ulysses 31

I came close to re-buying a SNES but then I found out about clone devices like the Super NT and bought that instead.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Maybe I'll look into getting some old comics from my childhood, but that's it.
I was never too into toys and stuff, even as a kid.

Last edited:

Brazen

Legos, rebuying older nes/snes/genesis games (digital only though), Magic the Gathering cards (not the expensive stuff just ice age/mirage/you know the old border cheap stuff), and superman/spiderman/batman comics.

Went after these things vigorously when I got my first real paying job 10 or so years ago. Now most of my money go towards long-term planning/investments. I spend very little if any on hobbies/collectables these days but that's mostly due to having enough to keep me busy and I take very very good care of it all.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve been wanting to own the Marvel trading cards from when I was a kid. I bought the base set of 94 Fleer. It was cool to look through them again, but then I realized it wasn’t enough. I’d want more and more and more. I don’t even have the foil cards I wanted. I’m not sure if I will continue. The rise of card collecting is cool. I hear it’s because of quarantine. Idk if I’ll invest anymore money in it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bought some knock-offs of the original transformers I had as a kid. That's about it though.

AJUMP23

I have some dinobots. And I want a copy of Mike Tyson’s punch out. And some other NES games of mine I can’t find. But for the most part I have most of my childhood toys.

Billbofet

All my friends buy is shit from their childhoods. It's all stuff from the 80's and 90's and it's to the point that I think they need to move on. IPlus, it's not original, but rerelease stuff - which I don't understand.
But it gives them joy, so no harm. Just gotta laugh every time my friend drops $300 for a "limited edition" GI Joe helicopter like it's an investment.
That said, I do dig vintage video games!

Used to do this quite a bit, and sometimes I'm still tempted. But in my experience it just clutters up the house after the novelty wears off. If you only get a handful of items it's fine, but it usually branches out into full-blown collections. That costs a lot of money, room and energy to maintain/expand which is often not worth it.

I now try to keep things to a minimum with about half a dozen old toys from when I was a kid and a couple adult collectibles that embody my childhood. Especially nowadays you can find so much nostalgic material online that can serve as a replacement for that quick fix.

Trunx81

I was really thinking for years to buy a G1 Optimus that I wanted so bad as a kid. But in the end, it would just collect dust. My older consoles did as well, unfortunately. Only thing I ever really bought years later was a used N64 on eBay with a bunch of games to relive an era I skipped.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Build yourself a mame arcade cab, a virtual pinball machine, and load up a drive of 70's through 80's music and movies and call it a day.

intbal

I never allowed my mom to sell any of my stuff in yard sales. So I still have most of it.
She gave my NES to my cousin. I've been trying to get that back for 30 years.

Yeah, I got back into Transformers a few years ago when they started revisiting the original G1 characters the right way in their WFC Siege, Earthrise and Kingdom trilogy series. It's now in Legacy and a number of characters look great as well as their Studio 86 line which is from Transformers the Movie.

Even some of the old G1 toys have been released but now with cartoon accurate color schemes, like Hot Rod and Starscream.

OG G1 Soundwave and Blaster ARE getting his cartoon accurate colors released in February at Walmart:

00-40TH-ANNIVERSARY-RETRO-REISSUES-SOUNDWAVE-AND-BLASTER-.jpeg

And the big one is a not only a rerelease of G1 Optimus Prime but it's been completely retooled to have today's level of articulation (like A stance and ab[!] crunch) and no partsforming in two styles - toy and animation though only the toy version will have the trailer included.

Transformers-Masterpiece-Missing-lInk-C-02-Optimus-Prime-with-truck.jpg
Transformers-Masterpiece-Missing-lInk-C-02-Optimus-Prime-with-Trailer.jpg

I'll admit it's been rather an expensive hobby over the last two years but I've been having fun with it and have gotten my nephews and nieces involved and we're all having fun with it.

And of course, even He-Man is getting back in it with a Filmation cartoon accurate line.

71091DCwQAL._AC_SX466_.jpg

aa5c8bc4-8b2a-4142-b559-58a6827aa291.jpg

Looked into buying a Gen 1 Transformers Skyfire and noped out after seeing the prices.

Consoles/games would probably be a big one if emulation wasn't so easy.

Try here for more:

Still gotta be careful about some KOs though. Some are really good to even better than the original product and some are incredibly cheaply done: https://showzstore.com/c/no-brand-ko_0397

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Never, in fact the opposite: I sold almost all of my things from my childhood including comic series and old LE games. Pointless to keep it, it’s just taking space.

nkarafo

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug...

It is, but i fizzles out very fast.

I also have a lot of old consoles that are not hooked up, mostly for display. Sometimes i get the nostalgia rush to use one on my old CRT and when i do it feels great for a few minutes but after that i just want to get back to my PC and emulate the thing instead.

Same with magazines/comics. I have a lot of them, all from my childhood. Sometimes i feel a similar nostalgia rush to go through one, which i do and it feels nice for a few pages but after that i get bored and go back to my regular internet browsing/time wasting.

I'm still keeping everything though, i'm not selling. Because even those small fixes are good enough for me.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
Old consoles/computers I had when I was a kid (Hello Vic-20).

Big Box PC games I used to play (Sierra, Origin games etc)

NES/SNES/PS1/2 games.

They just sit there and take up space but I still love 'em.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Its fucking tempting sometimes but actually its the opposite for me. Im still selling stuff from my childhood/teens/young adulthood. Just sold a couple of Dreamcast controllers on Ebay.

I have a collecting addiction which is why I ended up with so much stuff in the first place. Took a while to break that habit but moving a lot helps.

DKehoe

There is something cool to realising that right now I could buy stuff I desperately wanted as a kid but could never get. But these days I'm trying to cut down on the amount of stuff I've got around. If I did buy something I'd probably just take a look at it, sit it down somewhere and that would be it. I also don't really want to have a bunch of toys or whatever sitting around,

Drew1440

Done this with a few older mobile phones, mainly because Java/J2ME emulators aint that good and have a lot of nostalgia for Sony Ericsson/Nokia/Motorola feature phones.
Also play around with a few older PowerPC Mac's, since there is practically no emulation outside of QEMU, which has no graphics acceleration.
yeah it's barely worth it.
I have 3 windows 95-98 pcs and working 3dfx voodoo diamond monster.
That shit just sits there.
I would keep the 3dfx and should probably get rid of 2 computers and just keep 1.... but I can't let go. What if one breaks and I need parts?!
Or buying old games that I've pirated as a kid. Like, yeah it's fair but who cares 20 years later lol
Try and use 86Box, it's a PC emulator than can emulate upto a Pentium II PC. S3 ViRGE and 3DFX Voodoo 3 accelerators are supported for 3D games. You do need a strong CPU for it (Zen3/Coffee Lake) but once you set it up its pretty straightforward.

Zelduh

I fucking loved Tamagotchis and NanoPets and GigaPets and whatnot in the 90's, I had a huge keychain full of them. I still have a few surviving ones in drawers somewhere and I've purchased some of the "new" ones and re-releases, they're pretty cool. Though I had a weird off brand Panda pet once that was basically the Dark Souls of digital pets, impossible to keep alive and ridiculously comlex with so many sensors built in that if you so much as breathed on it, it died. Maybe one day I'll rebuy that one and keep it alive somehow

dan76

About 15 years ago I started rebuying all the old Star Wars toys I had when I was a kid, then I started getting the things I wanted but never had. I stopped with the first film as that was always my favourite. All this stuff is in my office and it "sparks joy". I've never been into completing collections, so I only buy what I want. Got a few reissues of G1 Transformers, some old Tron toys, Airfix dinosaur models. My gf just got me an old Matchbox Race and Chase for Christmas.

Yes, it's nostalgia and "retro" I suppose, but I work in design and love the look of this... crap.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I buy up the gaming mags from my era so here in the UK we had Zzap and Crash for the C64 and Spectrum. Mean Machines, Super Play plus an abundance of Amiga magazines.

Early issues of Play for the original PlayStation.

I had to re-buy the Megadrive in the same style box (Altered Beast) that I had when I got it for Christmas when it first came out in the UK.

My house got burgled years ago and all my OG PlayStation games were stolen. I never audited them back then but had over 150 games some of the stuff I know I had is too expensive for me to re-buy now. I know I had symphony of the night (£39.99 from HMV)

This has brought back memories of that mess… oh well.

TastyPastry

i would love to have a full boxed collection of snes games but because i'm not a millionaire i'll just be content getting a mister. as for other stuff, as a kid i was really into batman comics but i could never afford to buy them (especially the no man's land arc) so it's pretty cool that i can buy the whole thing now in one or two omnibus editions,

Its fucking tempting sometimes but actually its the opposite for me. Im still selling stuff from my childhood/teens/young adulthood. Just sold a couple of Dreamcast controllers on Ebay.

I have a collecting addiction which is why I ended up with so much stuff in the first place. Took a while to break that habit but moving a lot helps.
I get very tempted for an original nes, but probably best I don't. I'll pick up a Switch 2 hopefully and play old games from my childhood that way.

I buy up the gaming mags from my era so here in the UK we had Zzap and Crash for the C64 and Spectrum. Mean Machines, Super Play plus an abundance of Amiga magazines.

Early issues of Play for the original PlayStation.

I had to re-buy the Megadrive in the same style box (Altered Beast) that I had when I got it for Christmas when it first came out in the UK.

My house got burgled years ago and all my OG PlayStation games were stolen. I never audited them back then but had over 150 games some of the stuff I know I had is too expensive for me to re-buy now. I know I had symphony of the night (£39.99 from HMV)

This has brought back memories of that mess… oh well.

I wish some of the mags I had lost or were stolen were being sold somewhere. Most of what I've looked up that are on sale from those early days I still have and the only one I've been able to acquire was the 1987/88 Nintendo Players guide that came with the NES.

Top Bottom