• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

recommend an LCD for Wii use

plik

i am planning on buying a Wii, and would like to put a 15"-20" widescreen LCD on my current computer table for easy gaming. i keep seeing a really cool Samsung (730M ?)that Best Buys uses to let you play PS2 and GameCube games at the end of the game isles. anyone know where to get those? i cant seem to find them for sale. i guess i don't need anything above 480p. i would love to use with my PS2 as well. (component input a must?) (i have a VDigi3 to convert component to vga, but my LCD monitor for my PC streaches the image to fill the screen, so that's not a very good idea)
anyone have this setup? do 480p tv's exist in this size? EDTV?

thanks,

JB1981

plik said:
i am planning on buying a Wii, and would like to put a 15"-20" widescreen LCD on my current computer table for easy gaming. i keep seeing a really cool Samsung (730M ?)that Best Buys uses to let you play PS2 and GameCube games at the end of the game isles. anyone know where to get those? i cant seem to find them for sale. i guess i don't need anything above 480p. i would love to use with my PS2 as well. (component input a must?) (i have a VDigi3 to convert component to vga, but my LCD monitor for my PC streaches the image to fill the screen, so that's not a very good idea)
anyone have this setup? do 480p tv's exist in this size? EDTV?

thanks,

But HD is overrated!

Rhindle

LCDs are about the last thing you want to use with a Wii.

Unless you enjoy having your corneas sliced up, in which case err, Dells are good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I would recommend staying away from LCDs if all you are looking for is low resolution gaming.

Matt

I'm thinking about getting this. It's cheap, has some pretty good reviews, and includes HDMI. Plus, I can get it from Costco, which is always a good thing.

MrPonx

Rhindle said:

Unless you enjoy having your corneas sliced up, in which case err, Dells are good.

wait... what is this?

Wii + LCD = no good? when did that happen?

dark10x

MrPonx said:
wait... what is this?

Wii + LCD = no good? when did that happen?
LCDs produce poor results with material well below its native resolution (no matter HOW good the scaler may be).

noonche

So, what's the recommendation on a 13-21 inch widescreen 480p set? I don't care if it's LCD or not, I'd just like to find a nice widescreen EDTV for Wii and my old games.

dark10x

EBCubs03 said:
Ok then dark10, recommend a TV that will only be displaying 16:9 480p. Thanks
Well that depends on your size limitations.

In plik's case, I hate to admit it, but it sounds like size is a serious issue.

If it were NOT, a good plasma or CRT would do wonders for the Wii. Thankfully, CRTs can be had in smaller sizes as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
generally you should be looking for a CRT, as they usually are tops visually with lower res stuff.

MrPonx

dark10x said:
LCDs produce poor results with material well below its native resolution (no matter HOW good the scaler may be).

shit man.. so you're telling me that the Wii will look better on my current crappy TV with composite cables than an LCD (1080p enabled one) with componnent cable?

dark10x

MrPonx said:
shit man.. so you're telling me that the Wii will look better on my current crappy TV with composite cables than an LCD (1080p enabled one) with componnent cable?
It depends on how crappy your TV is. :p

A decent SDTV fed through component will most certainly produce a more pleasing image for Wii games than an LCD would.

A 1080p LCD would be even worse for Wii. 480p on an LCD just isn't going to look very good.

dark10x said:
I have a bit of an interesting question.

I'm currently using my LCD TV as my monitor. Resolution is close to native as I feel like working towards at 1280x720. Would playing a 480p video fullscreen give a good indication to what an upscaled game would look like?

DVD playback through both my DVD player and computer look just fine. I certainly don't notice any problems with those at all. I've done PS2 in 16:9 480i mode and it also looked fine(considering it is 480i). Certainly nothing like you're describing. Unfortunately, I got rid of my GameCube and component cable before I got this TV, so I have been unable to test things like that. But I have see other LCD images of GC games, and they look great.

And I know LCDs are usually not so good with SDTV content, but what about EDTV? Wii technically is an EDTV capable system.

jko

Matt said:
I'm thinking about getting this. It's cheap, has some pretty good reviews, and includes HDMI. Plus, I can get it from Costco, which is always a good thing.
THANK YOU!! :)
i've been looking for a good widescreen LCD TV as i'm investing in one for the Wii!! :)

wiit15.jpg

that looks pretty good to me o_O

KINGMOKU

This interests me as well. I'm sick of the amount of space my TV tkes up in my house, so I want to hang one on the wall.

Its obvious the Wii will look great on a Flat-Panle TV as they all look great on the ones at numurous shows.

So, to those with LCD/Plasma TV's, I am in the market for a 30inch+ Plasma/LCD. Recommends? And, if you could, explain the difference in LCD/Plasma. My sister has an LCD TV(50incch I think) and even with an HD signal it looks like absolute shit. Smears all over the place.

Is Plasma a better TV period? Whast the best for gaming?

Or should I go with a porjector/screen setup?

KINGMOKU

Testicular Sound Express said:
i dont see the problem. Looks great to me

wiit21.jpg

wiit22.jpg

wiit27.jpg

wiit43.jpg

wiit02.jpg
Who the hell said it would look bad on a flat-panel TV? That looks ****ing great.

Please,anyone....what TV is that in the pics? One of the tech guys here HAS to know!

GDGF

Soothsayer
They probably wouldn't tell us if they did. It would kill their 'Wii looks crappy on a high end TV' argument :lol

KINGMOKU

GDGF said:
They probably wouldn't tell us if they did. It would kill their 'Wii looks crappy on a high end TV' argument :lol
Damn it, I hope not. It does look awesome.

Sharp aquos? I'll look it up, and see if the have a big size. I would think they would use Panasonic brands though, no?

What you guys have to understand, is that dark10x and these other tech guys are looking at stuff in these tv's that you will never give a shit about. A lot of this "it will look horrible" is speaking comparitively. The point is, it would look better on a big EDTV. But to the average consumer, it won't look bad on a 720p tv either.

So basically, unless you're one of the people that keeps up to date with all this shit and visits every new tv thread in the OT, you probably won't be able to tell the difference and you probably won't give a shit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If you get a 480p component video cable for your Wii, then get any good (Sharp, Sony, Samsung etc) and if you DON'T buy that cable, don't bother. LCD is shit for composite sources. Interlaced video converted to progressive on an LCD look horrible, and I am not being a video snob.

If you want LCD, you need component video. Otehrwise your existing CRT TV looks better.

Rocked

Rhindle said:

Some of you don't have talk a lot of bullshit (as the pictures show) when it comes to Wii. Even my Dreamcast looked superb on an LCD.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Stinkles said:
If you get a 480p component video cable for your Wii, then get any good (Sharp, Sony, Samsung etc) and if you DON'T buy that cable, don't bother. LCD is shit for composite sources. Interlaced video converted to progressive on an LCD look horrible, and I am not being a video snob.

If you want LCD, you need component video. Otehrwise your existing CRT TV looks better.

Thank ye.

an HDTV LCD TV should have no problem with 480p. It is arguable that a top of the range sdtv crt would have a better picture through component, but the difference is not as big as some of you are trying to suggest.

I'm personally thinking about getting the new sharp aquos or a samsung 26inch hdtv lcd shortly b4 the wii launches. Need a tv for my room and might as well get HDTV.

Btw in the UK CRTs with component are very very rare. And theres like 2 crt hdtvs and they both suck really really badly. I wouldn't even bother looking it's so hard, lcd or bust.

shpankey

not an idiot
dark10x said:
a good plasma or CRT would do wonders for the Wii. Thankfully, CRTs can be had in smaller sizes as well.
i agree with this as well. if you can, get a nice plasma. if you have the money. it will be the [overall] most impressive. if it's about money, get a good 480p, 16:9 crt. i like the Sony's myself.

Okay, can someone PLEASE! explain to me this component/s-component or whatever your'e talking about???

ALl electronics/game systems I've ever bought have had a "red/yellow/white" endings. Is that what your'e talking about or what? I'm so confused. I just want to play on the wii with the best picture.

I have notioced thoough that on Super Smash Bros Melee. When I turn on the deflicker the graphics are much sharper but our family TV a CRT can't handle it properly or maybe its just the game because I get a lot more jaggies.

So component what? and how would I connect that stuff? I'm so confused.

Top Bottom