• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

recommend an LCD for Wii use

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
component is the best analog connector. It has red, green, and blue tips for video; red and white (sometimes) for audio. It separates the RGB colors, whereas composite (Yellow, red/white are for audio) mixes them all through one cable and makes it all blurry. So in short Component > S-Video > Composite.

Pellham

Banned
component is the red/green/blue, not the red/yellow/white (that's composite, which is shit).

any modern TV *should* have component, unless it was a $50 piece of crap from walmart. catch is you need to buy a component cable.

Anyway this is just anecdotal, I don't know the science or any of that shit behind it, but I have a Dell 2407FPW and Gamecube games look sweet on it on component. PS2 games look like crap. Havent tested XBox. Now since the Wii is basically Gamecube 1.5, I would imagine that this is evidence that Wii will look great on LCDs. Only problem is that games will look stretched due to them being 4:3 and adjusted to widescreen (I haven't figured out how to switch from widescreen to 4:3 on this LCD yet) - but that's not a big deal if you buy a 4:3 LCD.

Joeroll

AlanHemberger said:
What you guys have to understand, is that dark10x and these other tech guys are looking at stuff in these tv's that you will never give a shit about. A lot of this "it will look horrible" is speaking comparitively. The point is, it would look better on a big EDTV. But to the average consumer, it won't look bad on a 720p tv either.

So basically, unless you're one of the people that keeps up to date with all this shit and visits every new tv thread in the OT, you probably won't be able to tell the difference and you probably won't give a shit.

Amen.

Ahh, thanks for explaining guys. But one thing, why does everyone complain then? Are the component cables THAT expensive? I'll be sure to pick one up though. But you said that any modern tv has component. DOes that mean that theres a red, blue and green connectors alongside with the white, red, and yellow?

PG2G

CrushDance said:
Ahh, thanks for explaining guys. But one thing, why does everyone complain then? Are the component cables THAT expensive? I'll be sure to pick one up though. But you said that any modern tv has component. DOes that mean that theres a red, blue and green connectors alongside with the white, red, and yellow?

Stereo Audio = Red and White
Video = Yellow for Composite, Red Green Blue for Component

PG2G

monkeyrun said:
who's the genius who said Wii games will look bad on LCD ?

Well, will all wii games be progressive scan at a minimum? Sorry, I don't really follow this stuff. 480i is going to look like ass on an LCD, and maybe even lag. 480p is going to look pretty damn good (look at Dreamcast and some PS2 games like God of War).

So I take the red cable on the component and plug it into the red(standard one I have right now) on my TV. Then I plug in the blue/green in blue/green slots of I have them? because I think our family TV is outdated then since it only has red/white/yellow.

Calidor

So, if my CRT TV has component (I just noticed :lol ) does that mean that I can play Wii at 480p? If yes then i'm all set because i don't give a **** about widescreen

PG2G

Calidor said:
So, if my CRT TV has component (I just noticed :lol ) does that mean that I can play Wii at 480p? If yes then i'm all set because i don't give a **** about widescreen

Definitely not :/ Sorry. Most non-HDTV CRTs aren't capable of handling 480p. Most of the ones that are were labeled EDTV, for what I think means extended definition.

PG2G said:
Definitely not :/ Sorry. Most non-HDTV CRTs aren't capable of handling 480p. Most of the ones that are were labeled EDTV, for what I think means extended definition.
It means Enhanced Definition. And yeah, most likely it's still not 480p or you would have known before.

PG2G

CrushDance said:
So I take the red cable on the component and plug it into the red(standard one I have right now) on my TV. Then I plug in the blue/green in blue/green slots of I have them? because I think our family TV is outdated then since it only has red/white/yellow.

An example for you.
801798b.jpg

You have your red and white for audio (left and right channels) in addition to red green and blue for video. A total of 5 cables. Your system doesn't support component, unfortunately.

CrushDance said:

another quick refresher:

Component and Composite refer to the video signal only. Component cables separates the video signal into 3 distinct ones: Red, Green, Blue. NOTE: The Red cable and port used for Component is NOT the same as the one used for audio. Composite cables on the other hand push all the video through that single yellow connector which has existed on every system for the past 15 years.

So if your TV has a component input, it would have a port for Red, Green, Blue (video) and a separate Red and White port (for left audio channel and right audio channel). So you would have a grand total of five cords plugged in with component video and stereo sound. If your TV only has the red/white/yellow inputs, that means it only supports composite video and stereo sound, NOT component.

Calidor

PG2G said:

meh :( my last hope is that Nintendo releases a VGA cable.. because I don't really want to buy another TV

shpankey

not an idiot
CrushDance said:
ALl electronics/game systems I've ever bought have had a "red/yellow/white" endings. Is that what your'e talking about or what?
no, that is called Composite. the yellow is for video; and the red and white are for audio. it's one of the worst connections.

Component has 5 endings: red, green, blue for video; along with red and white for audio.

think of it this way. Composite only has one ending for video, the Component has three (both use two for audio). the three cables allow more video information to pass to your TV set, therefore are higher quality.

that's about as lamen as I can make it. hope that helps you. :)

p.s. the Wii games look absolutely gorgeous on those Nintendo Kiosks that someone posted above. wow! i'd like to know which LCD's those are, I'm guessing they are the higher end sony lcd's, which have always impressed the hell outta me.

and read the post below mine, he makes a very good point. which is why i stand by my recommendation of Plasma for the absolute best picture, and CRT after that. then a high end lcd. stay away from DLP's and low end LCD's imo, i just do not like the picture quality of either.

hyp

of course it looks good on an LCD in those photos, it's reduced to the size of a ****ing peanut, and any shots of your gaming rig on an LCD look better since digital photos hide all the ugliness. i have a 32" sharp aquos and at 720p or 1080i, all the detail down to the little jaggies are shown on my 360 games.

i will be forever disappointed that nintendo didn't opt for HD support. i think that should be my new tag.

ShowDog

Rocked said:
Some of you don't have talk a lot of bullshit (as the pictures show) when it comes to Wii. Even my Dreamcast looked superb on an LCD.

Unless your using vga, dreamcast looks HORRIBLE on lcd's.

shpankey

not an idiot
monkeyrun said:
he actually knows his shit on this stuff. so don't be so quick to rush to judgment. granted, he has a lot keener eye than your typical gamer, to spot flaws i mean, but overall you'd be wise to listen to his opinion.

plik

Pellham said:
component is the red/green/blue, not the red/yellow/white (that's composite, which is shit).

any modern TV *should* have component, unless it was a $50 piece of crap from walmart. catch is you need to buy a component cable.

Anyway this is just anecdotal, I don't know the science or any of that shit behind it, but I have a Dell 2407FPW and Gamecube games look sweet on it on component. PS2 games look like crap. Havent tested XBox. Now since the Wii is basically Gamecube 1.5, I would imagine that this is evidence that Wii will look great on LCDs. Only problem is that games will look stretched due to them being 4:3 and adjusted to widescreen (I haven't figured out how to switch from widescreen to 4:3 on this LCD yet) - but that's not a big deal if you buy a 4:3 LCD.

i thought that Wii games will be widescreen, that's why i am looking at widescreen lcd's. there are plenty of cheap 480p 4:3 sets to be found and at very good prices. but all the game screenshots i have seen were 16:9
what's up?

hyp

plik said:
i thought that Wii games will be widescreen, that's why i am looking at widescreen lcd's. there are plenty of cheap 480p 4:3 sets to be found and at very good prices. but all the game screenshots i have seen were 16:9
what's up?

nope, there's no mandate on 16:9. so expect some games to be 4:3. check out the tony hawk downhill jam screens, those are 4:3.

plik said:
what's up?
A lot of them were stretched. 16:9 is not a requirement for the Wii. I believe MP3 is even 4:3

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
monkeyrun said:

LCD + Composite + anything = shit. End of story.

480p = awesome - ergo component cable needed.

big_z

i need a new tv but lcd has so many flaws it's hard to put down money on one.
the sharp 37d40u or 90u seems to be the best bet in the sharp line, but do the sharp tv's suffer from display lag? you know when a tv has to convert a source to it's native display res it takes a bit of time making games like guitar hero impossible to play....

also how is plasma in terms of blurring/ghosting compared to lcd?

shpankey

not an idiot
big_z said:
i need a new tv but lcd has so many flaws it's hard to put down money on one.
the sharp 37d40u or 90u seems to be the best bet in the sharp line, but do the sharp tv's suffer from display lag? you know when a tv has to convert a source to it's native display res it takes a bit of time making games like guitar hero impossible to play....

also how is plasma in terms of blurring/ghosting compared to lcd?
plasma's and crt's are the best.

Az987

all good things
While current gen stuff doesnt look great on LCD's, its not as bad as you guys are making it seem. Well at least to me anyway.

I have a 32 inch samsung lcd. IMO they are the best, they have a really high contrast ratio good quality-price ratio.

HisBrother said:
I don't get whats the reason for buying an LCD anyways? Get a fregin Plasma for the half the price. Use logic dammit.

Yea because plasmas work great with gaming.... you know they have burn in problems right plus they cost more then LCD's, wtf u smoking

medrew

HisBrother said:
I don't get whats the reason for buying an LCD anyways? Get a fregin Plasma for the half the price. Use logic dammit.

LCD's are typically better if you are after a >30" screen and are preferrable if you're going to be using it in a lightened area.

JB1981

While not ideal, 480p on LCDs isn't as bad as Dark10x is saying. Watch any properly mastered DVD in 480p on a 720p LCD and it looks pretty ok. Sometimes it actually looks quite good. This all depends on the quality of the LCD, of course. The other advantage of playing a Wii on an LCD seems to be the spacing issue. It won't be ideal to play Wii 5ft away from your big, bulky, hefty CRT. Standing and aiming the Wiimote at a wall-mounted LCD seems to be the best way to play the system. If I was buying now, I'd probably buy a Sony XBR1 32" or 40." That is, if Wii-fans can stomach supporting a Sony product. ;)

rod

Banned
this "only native feeds on lcd tvs look good" thing is rubbish. of course dark10x will tell you otherwise, pimping plasmas all the way (which imo are garbage). look if your looking for something for wii gaming i reccomend a smaller size lcd maybe 32" but try it out first. my gamecube on my 32" lcd looks GORGEOUS in progressive scan, and its native rez is 1366x768. and even then a CRT that does progressive scan will look even better,

and then theres personal preference. some people like lcds (me) while others like plasmas (dark10x)

JB1981

lollerskates said:
they do cost more than LCD's

I heard they fixed the burnin problem and it doesnt happen anymore is that right.

In 37", 42" and 50" sizes, plasmas are quite a bit cheaper than LCDs, particularly among name-brand companies.

black_13

Banned
Well it seems half of this forum didn't understand what exactly no HD support for the Wii actually mean.

This is majorly going to suck for the multiplatform people as to use the consoles to their full capability you need at least two TV's.

Oh and trust me, if you have a 32" with 1080p or i support, when playing PS3/360 games on it and then switching to Wii games it's going to make a huge difference and then add to that the wii is less powerful so you got the graphical difference and then comparing complete HD to non-HD gaming.

So I wouldn't entirely through out your old TV's yet cause they are porbably still going to work like a charm with the Wii.

medrew

HisBrother said:

Great comparason! A 'Trio' with an LG.
even so your comparason is null because the OP wants a small screen, not a big one. LCD's are ideal for smaller screens and are priced accordingly, their purpose is not to fill the that size category. Just like how Plasmas are a better buy for anything over 30". It's a foregone conclusion that at 42" a Plasma will be cheaper based on mechanics and purpose.

and who in the flying **** buys a tv from DSE? Who buys anything priced over $50 from there.

wow, you even linked to a 480 resolution plasma :lol

BooJoh

This topic could help a lot of people if we can just get some straight, factual, unbiased answers.

All I want to know is this:

If a person has decided they are not ready for HD yet - they have no HD TV subscriptions, are sticking with DVD, and are not buying an HD game system - what would be the best option to get the best quality out of their SD TV, DVDs, and 480p max game systems?

I'm guessing for said person to get the most bang for his buck, a widescreen EDTV would be the best option? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If anyone could help, I'd be really interested in knowing what the best TVs are - for this NON-HD person. While I'm sure some people are interested in the bigger sets, I'd also like to hear about some 13"-20" sets that will fit tighter budgets.

medrew said:
Great comparason! A 'Trio' with an LG.
even so your comparason is null because the OP wants a small screen, not a big one. LCD's are ideal for smaller screens and are priced accordingly, their purpose is not to fill the that size category. Just like how Plasmas are a better buy for anything over 30". It's a foregone conclusion that at 42" a Plasma will be cheaper based on mechanics and purpose.

and who in the flying **** buys a tv from DSE? Who buys anything priced over $50 from there.

wow, you even linked to a 480 resolution plasma :lol

It was just an example..I would have used JB Hifi but their online catalogue sucks.

BooJoh

Loonz said:
... you could try a PC monitor. Like this:

For more info: http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCD_Digital/LS19DOWSSXAA.asp?page=Specifications

19'', Widescreen 16:10, nice image quality and the most important: you can plug in Analog RGB, DVI Digital Link: TMDS, Composite, S-Video, Component, TV, SCART. Just wow.

Here in Europe you can buy it for 350 € - 400 €, in the USA surely it will be cheaper.
$299.99 after $30 rebate from NewEgg... but 16:10 and 1440x900 resolution... will 16:9 480p look any good on this?

Loonz

As long as the video source is progressive, no problem. I think... :D . I'm going to buy one of those to play with Wii, so I expect that just works well.

noizbot

Isn't Nintendo displaying the Wii to press on flatplanel widescreen LCDs, or am I missing something? If I'm not missing anything, I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would choose to display their hardware on something that doesn't do their games justice. When they demo the units in retail in a few months, what will they use?

Danj

noizbot said:
Isn't Nintendo displaying the Wii to press on flatplanel widescreen LCDs, or am I missing something? If I'm not missing anything, I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would choose to display their hardware on something that doesn't do their games justice. When they demo the units in retail in a few months, what will they use?

There are plenty of plasma screens with 480-line resolution, and there are some LCDs too - for example Sharp makes one that's specifically optimised for SDTV.

Top Bottom