• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me fast paced action filled Sci-fi/fantasy books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ra\/en

Banksphlebas.jpg

I found Consider Phlebas to be fairly fast paced. There were some slow sections, but it was basically a space opera.

I have been meaning to read some of his other books, but I havent gotten around to it yet.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Care to elaborate because this is a series I am actually interested in myself, but if the quality of writing and characters aren't good, I am not going to jump into it.

It's not bad... if you've already read ASOIAF, you could do worse. it's a fun romp, decent prose and characters. you won't roll your eyes at shitty dialogue or anything but you won't be blown away by the subtly of it all either.

Talas

Banksphlebas.jpg

I found Consider Phlebas to be fairly fast paced. There were some slow sections, but it was basically a space opera.

I have been meaning to read some of his other books, but I havent gotten around to it yet.

The Culture books get way better than "Consider Phlebas".

Switters

While I love the book someone looking for fast-paced action might balk at the long explanations of Sumerian linguistics.

That's exactly what I was going to say, though I appreciate it more each time I read it. I love Stephenson but he does get bogged down in the minutiae from time to time. Anathem was a fucking chore to get through, but it was great.

OP!
Read Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series of books. Light, ribald, low brow fantasy that's always itching to draw blood. Most of the books are a series of short tales in a larger universe staring those characters and eventually ends in a swashbuckling epic.

Oh man, Ring World is also a must read.

Mindlog

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Banksphlebas.jpg

They're very good. Consider Phlebas (which I thoroughly enjoyed) is only my 4th or 5th favorite in the series.

The Culture books get way better than "Consider Phlebas".
Agreed.

Arment

The Acts of Caine
- Heroes Die (1997)
- Blade of Tyshalle (2001)
- Caine Black Knife (2008)
- Caine's Law (2012)

Fantasy AND Sci-Fi elements.

The novels are set in a future dystopia Earth where a parallel world called Overworld reminiscent of the worlds featured in post-Tolkien secondary world fantasy has been discovered. The corporations that run Earth send actors into Overworld in order to provide the masses of an overcrowded world with virtual-reality entertainment.

Caine is a badass character. The setting is interesting as hell. The description says its virtual-reality, but the world they enter is actually real. The people who watch it view it as if they were really there with help of virtual reality.

The setting is gritty and graphic. There's strong language and descriptive acts of violence.

The action scenes are incredible and there's lots of them. The later books get a little slower than the first two, but once you're hooked you're hooked.

Mook1e

That's exactly what I was going to say, though I appreciate it more each time I read it. I love Stephenson but he does get bogged down in the minutiae from time to time. Anathem was a fucking chore to get through, but it was great.

OP!
Read Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series of books. Light, ribald, low brow fantasy that's always itching to draw blood. Most of the books are a series of short tales in a larger universe staring those characters and eventually ends in a swashbuckling epic.

Oh man, Ring World is also a must read.

I seriously love Cryptonomicon and recommend it.

Also a big +1 to the Takeshi Kovacs (Altered Carbon) books.

AHA-Lambda

I feel compelled to read Iain Banks after discovering one of my friends is also friends with his son :eek:
I was impressed :lol

Also, is it wrong I'm really put off Richard Morgan purely because he wrote Crysis 2? Seriously, that crap was some of the worst storytelling I've ever seen in a game.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
You know, I really wish there were more quality space opera adventures out there in book form. I know there are a lot of great books, many of which are already in this thread (Forever War, Old Man's War), but something written well but also fun and adventurous - trysts with space aliens, exotic planets, life on a space station, then dogfights in space. The book equivalent of "FIRE EVERYTHING!" from Star Trek.

"Sten" chronicles by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch. Personal favorites of mine. Both authors were TV writers. One served in Vietnam and the other a son of a CIA officer, so it has a bit of a military tilt to it.

"Hero" by Dave Duncan.

"Chanur" novels by C.J. Cherryh. Plenty of aliens and spaceships.

"Vorkosigan" novels by Lois McMaster Bujold. Inspired by Horatio Hornblower.

gabbo

I'd suggest Lies of Locke Lamora, but the Gentleman Bastard's series is not done yet.
That's basically all I've got to suggest so i'll look into some of the others in here, subscribed.

relaxor

what?
Edmond Dantès;38197897 said:
Childhood's End
Rendezvous With Rama

these were my choices until I concluded they're not that fast paced. the story of CE moves really fast though

I would say Philip K Dick or Anthony Burgess sci fi. Both of those are super readable I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom