• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore ReView thread

Hm, lots of mentions of platforming but my impression of a lot of 3D platformers from the GCN/PS2/XB gen was that they often were called that but that a lot of actual platforming was involved in the games. So I'm wondering if any reviewers reading this thread can shed some light on how much platforming is in the game. Thanks all!

You will not get through this game without doing some straight up platforming. Especially in the end-game Eden Tower.

Assorted screenshots from my review. Windows 10 version.

ReCore-Shot-15.jpg

ReCore-Shot-27.jpg

ReCore-Shot-23.jpg

I see 7's for highest and 4-5-6's all over the place. It's mediocre.

Nah your right. When I opened the tab there was only a 7 and 6 posted. My mistake. There is a few 8's though. I dunno just seems mixed.

I guess if you can deal with the jank you can have fun or something?

Think my meta expectations of high 60's to low 70's is probably going to be bang on. Looking forward to trying it out myself later this week.

jmaine_ph

#KofiWasRight and some people here though he was BSing. If anything he was warning us. But now we have even more evidence. I hope they get a patch soon to fix those problems.

Ah looks like embargo is up.

I was a hesitant buyer to hold me over until Rise of Iron, but looking at some of the critics mention performance issues especially in addition to the repetition, I might wait for a sale down the line. Or at least a patch to fix bugs?

Jawmuncher

Looking like an average of 7s which is what I expected. I think it'll be a lot of fun for those in the right mindset.

I explained it to someone as a gameworld that feels like it used to be a hub system then someone threw open world into it and cut off the hubs(though you still have to build).
Its like the many aspects of the game are all at odds with one another.
That's a very strange design choice.

Still, it sounds workable, but the padding really sounds kind of awful. Haven't had a chance to watch your vid yet, but did you manage to get the real ending?

Dinjooh

Ah looks like embargo is up.

I was a hesitant buyer to hold me over until Rise of Iron, but looking at some of the critics mention performance issues especially in addition to the repetition, I might wait for a sale down the line. Or at least a patch to fix bugs?

I'll be doing the second thing. The price seems fine, but I'll wait a month or so to see where the game is at.

Was already on the fence, but hearing that a) it's a lot more platform-y than I was hoping (with very few mentions of Ratchet and Clank, the one 3D platformer-shooter franchise I really like), and b) incredibly padded at the end of the game was enough to get me to cancel my cheap pre-order. I'll just wait to see if it comes to Steam and maybe get it on sale then.

Karak

That's a very strange design choice.

Still, it sounds workable, but the padding really sounds kind of awful. Haven't had a chance to watch your vid yet, but did you manage to get the real ending?

I think its totally workable. But it feels like it was done late in the game. I mean you can actually feel the game. I discuss it in my review. Some areas look like GTA online hack maps with shit just floating in the air for you to use the 1 thing you just got to go there.
It all starts to lose its fiction and become JUST form. Its a bit painful

munroe

Neither of those developers make this kind of game, so I'm not sure that follows.

This is basically the epitome of the B-tier adventure game that was a lot more common in the PS2 era. It reminds me a bit of things like Primal. They never review especially well, but I don't doubt some people will love it and a lot of others will play it and never think about it again.

I'm not taking the genre into account, what I'm saying, take Mass Effect 3 for example, pretty average game, poor ending, average critic rating 89, if say Bioware creates a new game/new IP, reviewers would generally review it more favourably because it's Bioware, but if a different less well known studio created the same game, I would expect lower scores

silva1991

Damn, I was actual very positive(expected low 80's or high 70's I think)

ReCore = 64 MC

Mighty no 9 = 53 MC

that doesn't bode well for Inafune.

Not surprised. Everything shown after reveal was extremely generic and unpolished.
This will be part of GWG free games in 6-8 months.

Vinc

This is one of those weird cases where a lot of the negatives I'm reading sound like incredible positives to me. I'D LOVE to play a PS2-era platformer again.

So who's responsible for the magic behind the Metroid Prime series?

You want a different marketing tagline for this game?

"From the makers of Arkham Origins: Blackgate & Mighty No.9" /s

Just because ReCore has some of the talent that created MP doesn't mean ReCore will have the same quality of magic. They're different games, and furthermore, not even the same studio or same environment.

Looks like it's not only the bugs and technical failings that is dragging down the meta on this game. Mission structure and pacing seem to be pretty bad as well. Some are complaining about the combat being repetitive. I expected better and a little surprised that developers 'behind metroid prime' couldn't at least get the level design polished to a higher degree:

We got this covered 2/5

'Some of ReCore's ideas show promise, but its repetitive combat and cumbersome platforming will prove too much for most players.'

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/recore-review/

M3 6/10

'Recore is one of those games that sounds better than it is. It’s an interesting fusion of genres, the story is well written and the world is beautiful. But the gameplay gets a bit monotonous after a couple of hours and the level design feels uninspired. Still, with the price tag in mind, its might be worth a closer look if you looking for a solid action adventure game.'

http://m3.idg.se/2.1022/1.665239/recore

Top Bottom