• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash The Kalkanon Incident (PS4/XB1) development to proceed with Fuze Etertainme

Inafune has got pretty good connections for a game creator.

This was bait, wasnt it?

AvsfC.png

I am happy it gets made though, but it seems really shady. The whole Red Ash KS, the things that happened before (KS for voice acting for MN9, anime-deal, live action deal)...

Corpekata

Banned
people pretending that this wasn't the plan all along. Inafune is a businessman who is preying on peoples nostalgia etc.

I don't think they planned all along to have a huge bad PR storm and then publicly fail to meet expectations of their kickstarter in a rather spectacular fashion.

At least, that would be a hilariously stupid plan.

Man, part of me is happy this is getting done, since the concept art for the game looked really neat and I'd like to give it a shot. But man that KS was one of the worst run campaigns I've ever seen, and now this "lol jk we got funding but still please give us the money" is legit concerning. I'll still wait until I get my hands on MN9 before having a firm opinion on Inafune or Comcept, but this was pretty disheartening to witness.

antonz

I don't think they planned all along to have a huge bad PR storm and then publicly fail to meet expectations of their kickstarter in a rather spectacular fashion.

At least, that would be a hilariously stupid plan.

They didn't plan for it to fail no. They expected a massive success and the publisher funds.

Does this deal include the anime, the movie, the novelization and the 1 hour stand up special on HBO?

Cool that it's funded, not cool that it's still on Kickstarter in order to expand content. If it's good, I'll buy it, if not...well, I won't. I have no plans to donate, though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
people pretending that this wasn't the plan all along. Inafune is a businessman who is preying on peoples nostalgia etc.

If I were an outside investor, I'd just be RUNNING full speed to give money to this concept that attracted so much fan love and funding.

He did stipulate up front that his enormous failure and inability to adapt to change would not prohibit him from making the game anyway so I guess infaune technically warned everyone.

Tuck

You know, I'm happy this is getting made. The video they release looked horrible, but it was super early (and therefore should not have been released). It could be fun. The kick-starter was crummy and a bit scummy, and I didn't donate to it, but the final product could still be neat.

Totally unexpected. But I'm fine with this. The Kickstarter was hopeless. This at least gives them a chance to prove themselves and if they pull it off? Awesome! More Mega Man Legends!

Pez

I have no interest in ever funding an Inafune project, ever.

This is just manipulative and exploitative of the community.

Just Eww.

jett

D-Member
Im happy this got funded, cuz no way in hell did they show anything to the public that should have been funded, especially up against the Yooka Laylee kickstarter.

Yooka Laylee Kickstarter Day 1
tumblr_nnolqum6L81tliyz4o6_500.gif

Red Ash Day 25
4e0ad15f9c.gif

This is the best.

Is it even legal for them to completely change what the kickstarter offers on a basic level 4 days before it ends?

It seems incredibly shady.

Not that I condone this. But I guess if it reaches it's goal, Fuze makes sure they make the Kalkanon Incident at the bare minimum. And if it doesn't reach it's goal they owe nothing to the backers but they'll make the Kalkanon incident with Fuze anyways. So I don't think anything is "illegal" there.

Paz

Im happy this got funded, cuz no way in hell did they show anything to the public that should have been funded, especially up against the Yooka Laylee kickstarter.

Red Ash Day 25

It's so weird that people think you should have a visually polished version of your game up and running before starting a kickstarter, we've gone way too far the wrong fucking way with this whole crowdfunding thing.

I'll laugh/cry if Kickstarter backers end up even worse than AAA publishers when it comes to how safe you have to play it to get funding, and how much vertical slice bullshit you have to do.

So if Fuze is a Chinese console maker who wants to get games onto their machine, why are they funding a PS4/XB1/PC project? Have they even published a game before? How are they going to ensure this game gets on all their competitors' platforms? I'm not really understanding what's going on here.

J-Spot

Now that he no longer has to worry about this getting funded, Inafune can move on to his true passion project: the kickstarter for Beck and Call Battle Network.

Squishy3

Red Ash Day 25
4e0ad15f9c.gif
The best thing is they could have released MN9, if it was successful, use money from that to make a polished Red Ash prototype and launch the KS with that... instead we got this KS campaign that fell flat on its face.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's nice to see that both PS4 and X1 versions are on the cards. I didn't pay much attention to the KS campaign, but the whole "Pledge for a mystery console version and decide on the platform of choice via post-campaign vote" thing was utterly bizarre. It was a great way to encourage console gamers who own either a PS4 or X1 not to pledge.

Damo1234

Neo Member

Red Ash Day 25
4e0ad15f9c.gif

Don't forget Bloodstained Day 25

Wait they didn't have anything on day 25. They didn't show any gameplay at all until 2 days before the end, and that was just basic sprite movement in 2D. And they had an outside investor.

Huh.

It's so weird that people think you should have a visually polished version of your game up and running before starting a kickstarter, we've gone way too far the wrong fucking way with this whole crowdfunding thing.

You shouldnt have, but something like Yooka Layle would attrackt more people who would be willing to pledge, because they can see its not just empty promises and concept art.

And if you see what some indie-devs can put up in 24 or 1 week during game development jams, you might wonder why there was no polished prototype ready for the KS.

Roto13

Kickstarters have gotten publishers mid-campaign before.

Usually they close up instead of going "Okay but we want your money, anyway, so keep going."

So what? They're being honest about it. They can still use more money to make a better game. Their publisher isn't going to give them an unlimited amount of money to do whatever they want with.

sn00zer

I'll laugh/cry if Kickstarter backers end up even worse than AAA publishers when it comes to how safe you have to play it to get funding, and how much vertical slice bullshit you have to do.
Even a basic prototype would have been appropriate. The Red Ash unity demo was next to nothing, compared to basement devs who at least throw together some sort of working prototype.

blamite

Hahahahahaha

Surprised Fuze didn't just put the money into the Kickstarter themselves so Comcept can still collect the backers' cash. There's no chance in hell they're getting that 450k now.

jett

D-Member

What? Most if not ALL kickstarted games that don't rely on developer nostalgia have something to show for themselves. Three quick examples off the top of my head: Shovel Knight, Ghost Song and Hyper Light Drifter.

TomShoe

Banned
Never has there been a more appropriate time to post this gif.

What is this post?

He has a right to be upset. People donate to a Kickstarter with the promise that something could be made using the funds they provided. While it's cool that the game got outside funding, it undermines the core principle of the system. If they were going to just use this money to seek outside funding, I wish they would have been more up-front about it. H-Hour did much better in that their main goal was to make a vertical slice build that they could show to publishers and hopefully get more money for the game. Maybe they could self publish if they got enough money as a stretch goal. Comcept is just being dishonest now, and it's like they're stealing from donators that gave money and forgot about the project. Those people won't get refunds now, and that's not fair to them.

Hahahahahaha

Surprised Fuze didn't just put the money into the Kickstarter themselves so Comcept can still collect the backers' cash. There's no chance in hell they're getting that 450k now.

Comcept can't just lower the goal? I'm not 100% sure how it works.

Mr-Joker

Banned
"It's okay guys, I got a publisher but I will still take your money cos... reason."

Seriously Inafune can't be trusted at all and judging by the prototype footage and what I have seen from Mighty No 9, I have very little hope for Not Mega Man Legend.

Now to play the waiting game to see if Inafune will go back to the kickstarter after poisoning the well.

koutoru

I'm glad the game's development is going forward.
I just hope I still get the same backer rewards for the amount I pledged with.

It's not really appropriate, because when the Kickstarter fails, they won't get a cent from it.
This is true. They won't get a cent from the kickstarter if it fails.

hawk2025

It's fine to have Kickstarters at different levels of development. Some will be farther along, others will be earlier, and how much devs show and their reputation will impact people's willingness to pay. This is all fine.

The issues with Red Ash were NOT the lack of a playable prototype, and I sure hope they understand that.

zeopower6

You shouldnt have, but something like Yooka Layle would attrackt more people who would be willing to pledge, because they can see its not just empty promises and concept art.

And if you see what some indie-devs can put up in 24 or 1 week during game development jams, you might wonder why there was no polished prototype ready for the KS.

It is more appropriate to compare Yooka and Mighty tbh. These are like their 3rd and 4th campaigns (first was MN9 then there was another MN9 one for extra funds?) so the previous success must have gone to their heads. :/

Totally unexpected. But I'm fine with this. The Kickstarter was hopeless. This at least gives them a chance to prove themselves and if they pull it off? Awesome! More Mega Man Legends!

This. They ran the kickstarter messily and with super-awful timing, and not enough in-game concept to show until the end so there is probably no way it was going to still make it but I'm fine with this as the idea of the game and the lead staff they have for it is great if they get enough money to make it it should be fun. Also, the prototype may look super primitive but I'm glad to see that 3rd person MML-like camera-view in action. This also to me shows that the team really wants to get this game made no matter what.

The best thing is they could have released MN9, if it was successful, use money from that to make a polished Red Ash prototype and launch the KS with that... instead we got this KS campaign that fell flat on its face.

MN9 means almost nothing to this. There is no staff connection between the two games when you look at the lead staff. This company is clearly doing it Mistwalker-style, co-producing with different devs and teams for each game so far.

This.

Top Bottom