• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Hype Check

RDR2 Hype Check

• Pre-ordered

Votes: 45 30.8%
  • Day one

Votes: 39 26.7%
  • Eventually

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Never

Votes: 11 7.5%

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
R* games always make the most detaile and alive open world but when it comes to actually playing the game I personally never have fun with them. So I honestly have zero hype for this game.

I'm waaaay more hype for Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Fist of the North Star currently.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm not a GTA fan, but with this, it really appears R* has gone next level, and I much prefer then serious tone of RD over the camp of GTA.

Is the first game I’ve ever pre-ordered on two systems. That’s gotta count for something.

RDR is my #1 all time, expecting big things.

I know I'll get it eventually but the only game left this year that I have hype for is Hitman 2 and even then I'm not sure if I'll get it day 1.

Muffdraul

I was never interested in the GTA games and I didn't care that it went 3-D. I didn't care when GTA 3 took over the entire world. Eventually I couldn't ignore the phenomenon and played GTA 3 in early 2002. Bored the shit out of me, didn't care for it at all, developed a fairly robust aversion to GTA and open world games in general that lasted many years. Eventually I dipped my toe in the water with Assassin's Creed and Infamous, but it was RDR in June 2010 that finally really won me over. After that I went back and played all of the GTAs and a bunch of other open world sandbox games, and I've been an open world fiend ever since. My heart has always had a particularly soft spot for RDR, I've replayed it several times over the last 8 years.

That said, I dunno, I've never felt all that hyped up for RDR2. I pre-ordered it and I assume it'll be amazing, but it's just never taken up much of my attention or mental cycles. Right now I'm honestly more hyped for AC Odyssey, because Origins was fucking fantastic.

Last edited:

Bl@de

I will buy it on sale (like most games). Maybe late 2019 or even 2020 (I‘ll wait to see the PC release first). Just finished the first RDR one month ago on Xbox One X. So I‘m not in a hurry

Stuart360

I think hype may be down because its one of those games where everyone who wants it, will buy it, regardless of hype or reviews etc. In other words, it doesn't need hype. Its like getting up to brush your teeth and get a wash in the morning, the people will be buying it who want it like its just part of a normal day lol.

I mean...it looks pretty. The trailers haven't done anything for me other than confirm that the campaign will be a lot of talking, riding a horse, and doing "tasks" around a camp or whatever. Combat also doesn't look too difficult. As far as gameplay goes, it really doesn't look that great.

Paasei

Eventually, I can wait a while to see if a PC version is coming yes or no.
Gameplay still seems too outdated on console with all the auto-locking. Not my kind of thing.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I dont mind the auto locking, in fact you could free aim anyway in the orig game right?. Yeah i'll wait for PC though.

theHFIC

my body is ready.

I am interested to see how the first post-BENZ Rockstar release goes. I am not starting any new games until Red Dead's release to avoid any potential overlap.

I'll be preording the steelbook edition for PS4 once I know where I will be on the 26th in order to pick it up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I think hype may be down because its one of those games where everyone who wants it, will buy it, regardless of hype or reviews etc. In other words, it doesn't need hype. Its like getting up to brush your teeth and get a wash in the morning, the people will be buying it who want it like its just part of a normal day lol.

You know, this is actually a good analogy. I am not "hyped" well not like my friend is, but I know I am getting it because I know I enjoyed the first one, so this was a lock at announcement. I think a lot of it for me, is that I liked the Marston character so much, and the voice actor was so good, I am not as excited to play as the new guy, but still looking forward to what adventure they are crafting while being immersed in the world.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
THIS F'N SNOW HOLD ME PLEASE
BBvbajW.jpg

meh Arkham Origins had better snow

I KID!

renzolama

I'm hyped, but playing through some of RDR again on Xbox One X a few months back made me realize how shallow the gameplay/gunplay has become vs other offerings over the last couple years so I really hope RDR2 has some big improvements there. I really need the shooting to feel crisp and responsive, playing the 30fps vsynced RDR on XBX felt absolutely awful for manual aiming and the other aiming options have no challenge whatsoever.

Last edited:

Stuart360

You know, this is actually a good analogy. I am not "hyped" well not like my friend is, but I know I am getting it because I know I enjoyed the first one, so this was a lock at announcement. I think a lot of it for me, is that I liked the Marston character so much, and the voice actor was so good, I am not as excited to play as the new guy, but still looking forward to what adventure they are crafting while being immersed in the world.
I have seen it on other forums, where there will be a 'what games you buying for the rest of the year' threads and loads of people will list games but not put Red Dead 2 down, and people are like "you're not getting Red Dead 2!?", and they are like "well yeah, thats a given, thats why i didnt put it" lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have seen it on other forums, where there will be a 'what games you buying for the rest of the year' threads and loads of people will list games but not put Red Dead 2 down, and people are like "you're not getting Red Dead 2!?", and they are like "well yeah, thats a given, thats why i didnt put it" lol.

This is true, lol. It is one of those no brainer games I suppose for all those who played and liked the first, lol.

I have yet to pre-order it, which I will do closer to launch for pre-loading.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Only buy a handful of games every year at launch and this is one of them. Have had this preordered since the gameplay trailer in August.

Can not wait to see what they can pull of with their first dedicated next gen title. I loved GTA5 at the time but it got quite boring quite quickly. And the online appears to be just nonsense for want of a better word now. I am very much looking forward to the beautiful landscapes in this. I truly hope it will not disappoint.

The hype is SO REAL! I've pre-ordered the special edition at EB Games, ordered the ultimate edition online, booked the day off from work and wrote the reason being; I am likely to come down with a strong case of 'The Red Dead fever' thats expected to hit around that time, I will be unable to attend work on Oct 26th... sick day approved last week.

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably get it cheap next year. Thought the first one was good, not great.

I'm the most hyped I've been in years.

Although I try not to get too hyped for any game anymore, last time I was real hyped was Bioshock Infinite, I mean I was literally counting the days until it's release and it didn't live up to my sky high (pun intended) expectations.

But even so, I can't wait to play RDRII, the only thing really quashing my enthusiam is how Rockstar plays games with PC releases, but screw it, I'm just gonna get it on PS4 and not worry about it.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Is it me or is the hype for this game a bit muted? We're roughly five weeks away from playing the first next gen Rockstar game and there's seemingly nothing but crickets from the gaming community. What gives? The original Red Dead Redemption was incredible and we're getting a follow-up that's bigger and badder in every way possible.

So GAF, I ask you, where's your hype at?

My hype is at day 1 launch. No need to get overhype as it usually will cause disappointment for failing to meet our inflated expectations.

I remember RS released The Introduction and a similar film for the original RDR; feature lengths prologue before the incidents in both New Austin and San Andreas, but im seeing no such thing this time around and i wonder, if its going to be another major focus just for online.

Definitely not day one as we know, this is the new take 2 we are talking about.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Incredibly hyped. RDR was my game of the generation hands down. Expect it to sell gang busters but agree hype seems somewhat muted on this particular forum. However I think that has more to do with RDR2 not being an exclusive and overshadowing GOW and Spider-Man (which are both fun games but are far less likely to take home GOTY now). I think GOW still has a shot based on its combat and story (even though its world has almost no NPCs and will be viewed as far less developed in comparison) but some here unfortunately view RDR2 as a “threat” rather than an amazing game we will all have in our hands soon. Par for the course but RDR fans should ignore that background noise. RDR2 is coming. That is all that matters.

mitchman

Gold Member
Any news on what kind of embargo this game has? If it's release date for reviews, then I'll hold off on pre-ordering. I find the lack of real game play videos disturbing.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Any news on what kind of embargo this game has? If it's release date for reviews, then I'll hold off on pre-ordering. I find the lack of real game play videos disturbing.

We Barely seen anything for GTAV until the weeks before launch and I agree with you the marketing is very strange for this. I imagine we will see at least 1 more story gameplay video and an online gameplay video, as well as the inevitable launch trailer so I expect the next few weeks to hopefully show us more. It is very muted marketing and I'm not sure if this will backfire on them as it seems kind of arrogant that they just expect everyone will pick this up.

I for one though have seen enough to know that I will love this game and have very high expectations, just hope I am correct.

Dunki

I just saw some new pictures of the game and yeah it looks stunning and it made me more hyped about it But since there is so much to play this month it is not really that bad to wait for this game to be honest. Sadly there is no PC version on the Horizon so I will have to buy a Ps4 version which I hope is as much optimized as Spider-Man was.

Thinking about it, how can RDRII NOT live up to the hype? At least for me.

Just give me RDR1 but with prettier graphics and new locations to explore and I'll be happy.

In fact the only thing I'd say might potentially disappoint is the story, RDR1 has one of the best game stories of all time and I'm always skeptical of prequels.

But Metal Gear Solid 3 is a prequel and it's fantastic, it just depends on if there's organically room to expand on with a backstory, there was obviously a story to Dutch that was only hinted at in the original game, I'm sure the story will be interesting even if it doesn't top the original.

Wait a minute, do you only get a map if you buy the special edition? Or is it just a fancier map? I love RDR1's map, it's a great way to get excited to play the game.

I've never payed more than 60$ for a game, if there's no map in the vanilla edition then that's one less reason not to wait for a potential PC release.

Hmmm, this ain't good.

mitchman

Gold Member
Wait a minute, do you only get a map if you buy the special edition? Or is it just a fancier map? I love RDR1's map, it's a great way to get excited to play the game.

I've never payed more than 60$ for a game, if there's no map in the vanilla edition then that's one less reason not to wait for a potential PC release.

Hmmm, this ain't good.

I'm sure the map will be scanned and posted online for that juicy A3 color printer you have at work :)

Right now I'm debating between Assassin Creed Odyssey and RDR2 to buy. I'm leaning to RDR2 as it will probably be a better game. I ended up playing RDR in this generation though and was a bit disappointed as it ended up feeling noticible dated which I didn't expect. GTA5 gives me hope they improved on that front with this game and will be quite polished when released though hopefully not as fucked up monetarily as GTA5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It’s a maybe for me. I haven’t played the earlier games and hate GTA (and thus worry I just don’t like Rockstar’s style of games). I’m also lukewarm on westerns. So I’m trying to not get sucked into the hype.

I’m busy with Spider-Man and Octopath Traveler anyway and need to get back to Deadcells. Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be my next purchase and I’ll probably get Smash unless the SP is anemic. So I won’t get to it this year in any case.

I am always super excited for a new GTA. And I recall being pretty excited for the previous installment of Red Dead. But somehow I can't garner any excitement for this one at all. Everything I've seen so far makes me think playing this will be a huge hassle. I mean, I don't want to manage a gang, hunt for food or what not. Also, I am very sceptical about whether or not I will get a full game, a full experience, if I purchase a standard copy of it. I guess the full world will be in there, but still with what GTA Online has become, what will try to up sell us. I don't know, maybe this game is not for me. Might still pick it up, though. Just to hold me over until Re2Make comes out - now that's a game I am excited about.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Eventually, I can wait a while to see if a PC version is coming yes or no.
Gameplay still seems too outdated on console with all the auto-locking. Not my kind of thing.

yeah, previous game was a big "snap to" fest on console. I'm thinking particularly of one mission in the first game where you go into a canyon to fight like 60 enemies. The success of GTA suggests a PC version is coming eventually.

pr0cs

I loved the first game but I've kinda moved onto pc, I just can't see myself playing at sub 30fps and mixed res anymore. I've ruined myself and become a gaming snob

Top Bottom