• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption - 360 & PS3 comparison (Bish-approved!)

DrBo42 said:
You really love bringing up that whole tophat/hideout thing (especially when the picture featured isn't even John). It's barely worthy of being called "added content." Gotta hang that flag proud I guess.

we really love posts like these though:lol

Pooya

Y2Kev said:
Wait so what are the actual differences :lol
We don't know yet:lol .
these are confirmed
PS3
Pros
-Exclusive content: gang outfit and gang hideout
-support for custom soundtrack (XMB)
-Home avatars

Cons
-resolution ???
-600MB install (mandatory)
-Gamespy

XBOX 360
-720p 2xMSAA (confirmed by MazingerDUDE)
-Custom soundtrack obviously is supported like all the other 360 games.

there were some framerate comparisons by Magnus and he said framerate is better on 360.
He wrote about lots of other things like lighting, tearing, pop in etc (nothing important, small things), I can't find his posts, they are in the official thread.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DrBo42 said:
Well I apologize if you aren't being serious. It's hard to tell in here, and you've posted it around 4 times. :lol
I wasn't ever serious, I just find the absurdity of last-minute PS3 exclusive content found almost by accident really amusing. I mean, Sony has yet to say anything about it and I don't think RS has said anything either. Then again, it is just a tophat/costume and hideout.

It's so bizarre and kinda hilarious.

DrBo42

kazuma_pt said:
we really love posts like these though:lol
Is there something you're trying to accuse me of? :lol I'm just pointing out how ridiculous the shit is, especially as someone who owns both consoles.

Branson

chubigans said:
I wasn't ever serious, I just find the absurdity of last-minute PS3 exclusive content found almost by accident really amusing. I mean, Sony has yet to say anything about it and I don't think RS has said anything either. Then again, it is just a tophat/costume and hideout.

It's so bizarre and kinda hilarious.

Sony just put it on their twitter today.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No_Style said:
Three pages of useless info. I came here for answers, damn it.

Edit: And miladesn redeems the thread for me. Thanks!

You're most probably not gonna get proper answers until the inevitable eurogamer face off, so until then get the version you want and play and enjoy it until you're told how it's not better than the other one at which point you can proceed to hate it :p

miladesn said:
We don't know yet:lol .
these are confiremd
PS3
-Exclusive content: gang outfit and gang hideout
-support for custom soundtrack (XMB)
-Home avatars
-resolution ???
-600MB install (mandatory)
-Gamespy

-720p 2xMSAA (confirmed by MazingerDUDE)

there were some framerate comparisons by Magnus and he said framerate is better on 360.
He wrote about lots of other things like lighting, tearing, pop in etc (nothing important, small things), I can't find his posts, they are in the official thread.

that is all.

Mandatory install? Fucking...

Banned
DMPrince said:
pop ins are important. you don't want to be riding on a horse and crash into an invisible tree that pops up seconds later!

Less pop in with the 360 version.

- colors more saturated in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- less texture pop in in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

DrBo42 said:
Is there something you're trying to accuse me of? :lol I'm just pointing out how ridiculous the shit is, especially as someone who owns both consoles.

i'm not accusing you of anything. i'm just saying, i believe people in this thread are expecting to see something like what you posted, but instead from someone who means it (and since you actually had a conversation with him...you're disqualified to bring us meltdown enjoyment :D)
edit: this thread seems pretty much just for giggles, so i wouldn't take much of what people here post as their actual opinion. i think 90% of people here just want to play the game, console versions aside.

I've been curious about this and I think this is as good a thread as any to ask this, what makes a review go on metacritic? What I mean is the Eurogamer, Eurogamer Spain reviews seems to be for both the PS3 and 360, but it's only on the PS3 meta and not on the 360. Likewise Gamesradar PS3 review is up on meta, but not the 360 one. I'm sure there are more examples and other examples of some reviews that are on 360 but not on PS3, but you get my point. So does anyone know why that is? What makes a review go up on meta?

Branson

Me and a friend still havent decided on which one to get. I have the ps3 version preordered but the 360 version seems like it runs better.

haha this is starting to remind me of the gta4 comparison thread with users posting lists and whatnot.

was pretty damn funny once the truth came out.

my favorite posts where when users said they preferred the ps3 version because gta4 on 360 looked "too gamey". :lol

FrankT

WickedLaharl said:
haha this is starting to remind me of the gta4 comparison thread with users posting lists and whatnot.

my favorite posts where when users said they preferred the ps3 version because gta4 on 360 looked "too gamey". :lol

Good times. Tree of Death. Never forget.

It was decided on my vote remember. :lol

DrBo42

kazuma_pt said:
i'm not accusing you of anything. i'm just saying, i believe people in this thread are expecting to see something like what you posted, but instead from someone who means it (and since you actually had a conversation with him...you're disqualified to bring us meltdown enjoyment :D)

I just find it really sad that threads like this even have to be made. Exclusive this, exclusive that, 1 more pixel on that horse saddle/9000x super dynamic multifaceted bump mapped anti-aliasing. It's nauseating. Eventually the threads calm down to a point where people are actually sharing experiences with each other like human beings, but we really have to sit through some bullshit.

Chromax

I guess I'll go for the PS3 version for the bonus and PC version for everything else. (there is a PC version right?)

Branson

So I noticed on the HD vids of the ps3 version that you can see the shadows 'draw in' on buildings and such when you get closer. Anybody see this with the 360 version?

Pooya

WickedLaharl said:

eh I just posted all the known facts, I didn't add anything :(.

LQX

I don't see way some get bothered at those that want to know which version is better even if slight. Some of us have both systems.

Pucc

Banned
Branson said:
So I noticed on the HD vids of the ps3 version that you can see the shadows 'draw in' on buildings and such when you get closer. Anybody see this with the 360 version?
link?

Banned
WickedLaharl said:

I wonder if the same people that preferred the PS3 version of GTA4 also preferred the 360 version of FFXIII?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I wonder if the same people that preferred the PS3 version of GTA4 also preferred the 360 version of FFXIII?
No?

The PS3 version of GTA had its issues, but the lower resolution actually did not have a significant impact. The 360 version was a touch clearer, but had a lot of additional dithering artifacts. It ran smoother, however, which made it the superior version.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Karma said:
Less pop in with the 360 version.

- colors more saturated in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- less texture pop in in the 360 version (Gamepro)
- heavy framerate drops in the PS3 version (Cynamite)
- small framerate dips in the 360 version (Cynamite)

Don't ever trust gaming rags to relay technical info that cannot be easily quantified. I've read that FFXIII 360 was sharper and GTA4 PS3 has better AA.

Truespeed

Pandoracell said:
2rzqwd1.png

Thanks for the promotion. The fact that you have no idea what it symbolizes makes it even more special.

Havok

Is custom soundtrack support still a big deal to people? It's an honest question, I think I stopped using it a very long time ago on the 360, so I just thought it'd be a little strange for people to still be excited about it, is all.

ZZMitch

Truespeed said:
Thanks for the promotion. The fact that you have no idea what it symbolizes makes it even more special.

Bu...bu...but, your avatar depicts a character in a game exclusive to the PS3! You must be a fanboy!

:lol

mujun

dark10x said:
No?

The PS3 version of GTA had its issues, but the lower resolution actually did not have a significant impact. The 360 version was a touch clearer, but had a lot of additional dithering artifacts. It ran smoother, however, which made it the superior version.

Significant impact :lol Is that like the last line of defence for people attacking the sub HD rez on one game while defending it on another?

Havok said:
Is custom soundtrack support still a big deal to people? It's an honest question, I think I stopped using it a very long time ago on the 360, so I just thought it'd be a little strange for people to still be excited about it, is all.
It really depends on the game, skate, madden, and fifa are the types of games I would use custom soundtracks in. Killzone 2 mp had it and I never used it, so I guess game where peripheral sound isn't a big deal, I would say yes, they do matter.

seat

I don't see any problem with pointing out the differences between the two versions of RDR. There's obviously not a lot to point out, but there's nothing "retarded" on trying to decide which version to get if you own both consoles. The fact that the OP thinks comparing the versions is "retarded" leads me to believe he may have a secret bias. Also, not to derail, but isn't using that term a ban-worthy offense? Honest question.

Cday

Banned
Havok said:

I'm sure if it was confirmed that it didn't have XMB soundtrack support that at least of few people would pop off with stuff like

"Preorder canceled"
"GAME X HAS IT WHY CAN'T BLAH BLAH BLAH"
"FUCK YOOOOUUU R*"
"Just saved me $60"
etc

Top Bottom