• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Red Faction: Guerrilla Single-Player Demo Early Access for UK / Europe

Ramenman

Member
Apr 4, 2007
7,136
0
0
Xater said:
I've seen the pieces and morale aspect but it's hardly a real indication of how it works in the real game. So far can see that I can get the pieces by randomly blwing shit up while doing my mission. I don't see how that in any way makes the destruction that important for completing the mission.

I am thinking more like blowing up part of a foundation from a tower, so it falls onto something and that actually is a mission goal. That would be fun and an interesting way to incorporate the destruction into the actual gamepaly. Just judging by the demo I could walk to my objective and blow random shit up zo improve morale and get those parts. It's just creating destruction for the sake of it.

You don't see it in the demo, but we've heard of missions like make the bridge explode when the ennemy is on top, or make the bridge fall when the ennemy arrives under, etc.

Though it might not be enough to get you into it, I don't know.

But yeah, as the other guy said, if you don't get it well you just don't. I'm not going to hunt you down for that, it's not like we're all supposed to like the same games.
 

Aaron

Member
Apr 12, 2006
25,471
0
0
www.the-nextlevel.com
What's also not clear in the demo is 99% of the destruction is forever. You blow it up, it stays blowed up, which can help and hurt you, especially if it's a bridge or something. There are rare cases where a building will be respawned if it's needed for mission purposes. So there's definitely a strategy to all of this destruction.

Now before you aww about not being able to blow up things again and again, that's what the wrecking crew mode is for, as well as the multiplayer. Wait until you charge straight through a building juggernaut style and take someone out with the axe (or ostrich). Great fun.
 

AgentOtaku

Member
Nov 21, 2005
31,045
1
0
38
Spokane, WA
Comparison located here

Summary:

- Both native 720p
- 360 has some slightly better textures in places
- PS3 has better shadows
- Framerate is roughly the same
- 360 has 2xAA
- PS3 has lower resolution explosions
- Both lack Vsync

Bottom-line, both versions are excellent.

Here's some comparison pics:

Xbox360

Playstation3

Xbox360

Playstation3
 

AgentOtaku

Member
Nov 21, 2005
31,045
1
0
38
Spokane, WA
Core407 said:
Meh barely noticeable difference but I'm sure people will rag on the PS3 version.

Nothing to rag on really 'cept no AA ...and it doesn't really bother me as the game is at least running at 720p. They could have went the blur-inducing Quincux AA but I actually think I prefer the sharper image.
 

Ramenman

Member
Apr 4, 2007
7,136
0
0
just read up on the Wrecking Crew mode :

In a stroke of genius, Volition has also included an offline multiplayer "party play" mode called Wrecking Crew. A mix of Burnout’s crash mode and Boom Blox, Wrecking Crew has players passing the controller back and forth between turns as they’ll use a limited amount of resources to level structures and rack up as much points as possible in the process.

So that's the "no ennemies to disturb my Boom Blox" mode :O

Awesome.
 

HaL64

Member
May 29, 2006
486
0
1,225
Ramenman said:
just read up on the Wrecking Crew mode :



So that's the "no ennemies to disturb my Boom Blox" mode :O

Awesome.

Ya I remember people in last summer's multi-player beta unanimously deciding not to play death-match or whatever game mode they were supposed to be playing, but spend the entire match taking down structures. :lol
 

Kabuki Waq

Member
Jun 6, 2004
18,352
0
1,465
40
Core407 said:
Meh barely noticeable difference but I'm sure people will rag on the PS3 version.


eh its not about ragging. Its just if you have both versions why not go for the superior version even if the differences are minute?

I like have AA so might as well go with the 360 version.

But I also find that the sound is way better on ps3 for most games eventhough I have both systems connected through optical and I dont think my ps3 will blow up anytime soon so I might go with the ps3 version.

Atleast i know the differences.
 

Mr. Durden

Banned
Apr 20, 2008
2,197
0
0
Paradise
Just played the demo (for some reason THQ send me a download code (didn't even ask for it... hmm)). And I absolutely love destroying everything by driving some vehicle through a building. Really liking it.
 

Huggy

Member
Sep 11, 2006
1,284
0
0
38
NL
If the PS3 version uses temporal AA you won't be able to able to capture a frame with it.
But no surprise otherwise.

And it looks like the PS3 version uses a different shadowing method altogether. I like the dithered one more in the 360 version.

But good enough for a purchase.
 

Zeouterlimits

Member
Apr 2, 2007
16,810
0
0
Ireland
www.skynet.ie
Thank you for this, have been looking forward to checking this out.

One pet-peeve though. Do I need to draw a Venn Diagram to show that the UK is part of Europe? Making "UK/Europe" defunct?
I apologise for my pickyness, it just 'really grinds my gears'.
 

Flunkie

Banned
Feb 12, 2008
12,740
0
0
USA
twitter.com
Ramenman said:
just read up on the Wrecking Crew mode :



So that's the "no ennemies to disturb my Boom Blox" mode :O

Awesome.
Perfect. Just what I was hoping for. :D

HaL64 said:
Ya I remember people in last summer's multi-player beta unanimously deciding not to play death-match or whatever game mode they were supposed to be playing, but spend the entire match taking down structures. :lol
Same. :lol


In other news, I hate dithered shadows. GTAIV's, in particular, were terrible.
 

AgentOtaku

Member
Nov 21, 2005
31,045
1
0
38
Spokane, WA
Kabuki Waq said:
eh its not about ragging. Its just if you have both versions why not go for the superior version even if the differences are minute?

I like have AA so might as well go with the 360 version.

But I also find that the sound is way better on ps3 for most games eventhough I have both systems connected through optical and I dont think my ps3 will blow up anytime soon so I might go with the ps3 version.

Atleast i know the differences.

Playstation3 version has DTS support btw
 

Robobandit

Member
Aug 11, 2005
5,200
0
0
I knew that Euro PSN account would come in handy... (and it has.. for Killzone and now this)

btw, you can set your country to United States for the personal details and still get a key.
 

PedroLumpy

Member
Jul 1, 2006
4,454
0
0
Fireflu said:
Gifs ahoy!

I love that last building. "Hey let's build something hanging over a cliff! I'm sure nothing will happen to the three supports holding it up." < Drives APC drives through all three columns>
 

Aaron

Member
Apr 12, 2006
25,471
0
0
www.the-nextlevel.com
PedroLumpy said:
I love that last building. "Hey let's build something hanging over a cliff! I'm sure nothing will happen to the three supports holding it up." < Drives APC drives through all three columns>
Sounds like the perfect place to store highly explosive fuel.
 

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mar 7, 2006
13,311
0
0
United Kingdom
Aaron said:
Sounds like the perfect place to store highly explosive fuel.

:lol :lol :lol

I think we should store these explosive barrels on two of this building's supporting walls, and one on the roof. Sound good?
 

Ramenman

Member
Apr 4, 2007
7,136
0
0
One of the other amazing things in this game is how much sometimes the destruction feels movie-like. Some time I'd just bring down a building, and think "Wow, that's as spectacular as if it was precalculated, AND IT'S NOT :O"

Like when huge blocks of debris fly towards you during the fireworks.

It's nice to have gifs, but if lazy-me is allowed to criticize, I'd say it's too bad all of them use "explosion enhancers" like barrels/chemical tanks. It makes lovely explosions, but what's awesomer in this game imo is that you don't need them to make damage.

If I ever find my camcorder I'll make gifs with this two stories building, and destruction only based on remote charges, sledgehammer, and vehicles.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
6
0
One last question...if I want to buy dark mist off the european store what is the best way to do this? Can I buy a prepaid card I can input the 12 digit number code into the euro playstation store and make it work?
 

burgerdog

Member
Apr 24, 2007
9,697
0
0
CA
Just played the demo, and all I have to say is that it is by far one of the best demos I have ever played. It may actually top the Bioshock demo for me. I said I was going to get the game before simply because of the Ostrich, but damn, the game is insanely fun to play and it looks great. I hope they do a good job advertising this game because people need to play this.

Oh wtf, I spent one hour playing the demo? Felt like 10minutes.
 

Foil

Member
Apr 4, 2005
3,914
0
0
Finally downloaded the demo on PS3. Really enjoyed it, then again I also enjoyed the multiplayer beta. The single player does feel better than what I remember from the multiplayer. I'll be buying this and hope to smash things up nice with the ostrich hammer.

The one very minor thing I don't get is why they changed the main characters hair style to a shaved head generic look. Great game, but one minor nitpick that bugs me. Personally I thought it looked better before.

 

PedroLumpy

Member
Jul 1, 2006
4,454
0
0
Foil said:
Finally downloaded the demo on PS3. Really enjoyed it, then again I also enjoyed the multiplayer beta. The single player does feel better than what I remember from the multiplayer. I'll be buying this and hope to smash things up nice with the ostrich hammer.

The multiplayer beta did not have the destruction engine in full force, there was no stress or twisting in it. Quite different from how it's working in this demo.

Foil said:
The one very minor thing I don't get is why they changed the main characters hair style to a shaved head generic look. Great game, but one minor nitpick that bugs me. Personally I thought it looked better before.

I always assumed that was because hair is hard to make look realistic while providing little payoff, hence so many bald main characters.
 

dorkimoe

Member
Aug 19, 2007
11,041
4,021
1,640
downloaded it, still havent played it yet

Maybe ill do so today, and report back
 

AgentOtaku

Member
Nov 21, 2005
31,045
1
0
38
Spokane, WA
One thing that blows my mind is the sheer random/craziness of when your using the turrent on back of the flatbed truck. The physics ....OMFG!

I've blow up EDF trucks that flew into the air only to completely crash into a nearby building, causing it to implode with barely a hitch in framerate!
Same goes for flying debris/vehicles that take out nearby EDF soldiers during flight!

AMAZING!
 

raYne

Member
Jun 7, 2004
10,757
0
0
New York
AgentOtaku said:
One thing that blows my mind is the sheer random/craziness of when your using the turrent on back of the flatbed truck. The physics ....OMFG!

I've blow up EDF trucks that flew into the air only to completely crash into a nearby building, causing it to implode with barely a hitch in framerate!
Same goes for flying debris/vehicles that take out nearby EDF soldiers during flight!

AMAZING!
I launch them off the ground with the first shot on purpose just so I can skeet shoot them out of the air.


I also love the little total destruction cost amount that pops up on the right after you cross the bridge at the end. It's now my own private arcade game where I just have to beat the high score.
 

MacBosse

Member
Apr 8, 2008
1,210
0
0
Damn THQ, what's with the shitty registration stuff? Just give the people their goodies!

*downloading*
 

Ramenman

Member
Apr 4, 2007
7,136
0
0
raYne said:
I also love the little total destruction cost amount that pops up on the right after you cross the bridge at the end. It's now my own private arcade game where I just have to beat the high score.

I haven't played the chase a lot (maybe 4-5 times, because I always run out of time or die before since I'm just toying around and not actually doing the mission), but there's this big structure with a bridge you drive under soon after the beginning of the chase, and I can't seem to take it down before I'm too far away :mad:
 
Jun 6, 2004
68,810
0
1,570
Ramenman said:
:D

demo is in a word: AWESOME

i've played thru it completely 4 times and also played several times just fucking around and wrecking shit.

the destruction is amazing! the gunplay is good. and the hammer really feels like it has weight to it when you connect it to a wall or skull.
 

AgentOtaku

Member
Nov 21, 2005
31,045
1
0
38
Spokane, WA
The Faceless Master said:
:D

demo is in a word: AWESOME

i've played thru it completely 4 times and also played several times just fucking around and wrecking shit.

the destruction is amazing!

agreed ...best demo for me since Lost Planet
 

HaL64

Member
May 29, 2006
486
0
1,225
Ya this is one of those demos you can play and do something different every time. I actually found a path that only required I just kill one guy before getting to the walker. Basically, stay to the left and there are some hidden paths. And eventually you can get the drop on the walker building guards. Jump on the roof, break through the glass ceiling and land on the walker. :D