• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

NeoGiff

"...that was my first masturbation experience!"

it's totally different when the RLM guys say it because you can tell they are being facetious

Landis though? This is the most cringeworthy thing I've watched since I FUCKING LOVE STAR WARS, and I'm only two minutes in.

OOGMYMx.gif

DrSlek

I found Max to be very annoying, but on the other hand he was also pretty informative for me.

Some of the stuff he said I already knew, like Hollywood execs not having any clue how to deal with a rapidly changing market. Other stuff like writers often never being on set, that I didn't know. I always imagined there'd be a lot of back and forth between writers and directors during shooting.

Cheerilee

I found Max to be very annoying, but on the other hand he was also pretty informative for me.

Some of the stuff he said I already knew, like Hollywood execs not having any clue how to deal with a rapidly changing market. Other stuff like writers often never being on set, that I didn't know. I always imagined there'd be a lot of back and forth between writers and directors during shooting.

IIRC, that was what drove Joss Whedon out of Hollywood in the first place.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (the movie) was pretty much his first script, and it got picked up to get made. Whedon was allowed on set to consult during the filming (it was part of his job description), but then everyone around him would flippantly disregard the script, sometimes in story-breaking ways, for little-to-no reason. He would interrupt and say what they were doing wrong, and the director would say "Explain", and Whedon would fully and clearly explain why something was wrong and why they should be following his painstakingly laid-out script. Then the director would say "Okay, I've listened to your objection and I'm disregarding it. Everyone continue." Eventually Whedon threatened to walk off the set, and the director said "Fine. We don't need you. At all. You served your purpose months ago when you handed in the script."

Whedon pretty much quit Hollywood, disillusioned, and only came back to make Buffy the TV series after they agreed to let him have total control over it.

NeoGiff

I was going through old videos today, and had to make a gif of this gem. This has potential mileage considering the overdose of Star Wars threads on GAF right now.

2E8cK43.gif

Pappasman

I really like Max and I thought he came across well here. Its always funny to see the reactions too him.

I have to say he pretty much saved that interview. I'm not sure if its the editing but that was one of the worst interviews I have ever seen. Are Jay and Mike always this shit at interviews? The hosts did absolutely nothing and let their guest try to fill airspace so it wouldn't get awkward. That was very poorly handled or, at best, poorly edited.

Max has had a lot of really good interviews/podcast appearances recently, but this was one of the weaker ones.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I really like Max and I thought he came across well here. Its always funny to see the reactions too him.

I have to say he pretty much saved that interview. I'm not sure if its the editing but that was one of the worst interviews I have ever seen. Are Jay and Mike always this shit at interviews? The hosts did absolutely nothing and let their guest try to fill airspace so it wouldn't get awkward. That was very poorly handled or, at best, poorly edited.

Max has had a lot of really good interviews/podcast appearances recently, but this was one of the weaker ones.

Are they always like that? Watch the interview with Mathew Karedas from Samurai Cop.

It's clear that they thought Max just wanted to justify himself for everything they didn't even ask him about, so they let him do it. He comes out as insecure. Why is he talking so much when they didn't even ask anything?

It was like a psychiatrist just letting his patient talk forever and then the doc going: I think we made progress, see you next week.

It was like a psychiatrist just letting his patient talk forever and then the doc going: I think we made progress, see you next week.

It was good though to hear someone from within the Hollywood system openly talk without being there to market a movie or goes through the typical promotional spiel. Yeah, he was on the defensive side, which should come to no surprise given Mike and Jay's movie review of American Ultra. Mike and Jay could've turned Max into easy prey if they wanted too and just grilled him with loaded questions and obvious criticism, but instead they gave him a lot of room to speak his mind. I think you have to give credit for all parties doing this. I would love to see more of this on RLM if they ever get the chance to do more.

I think that Max generally came across well, but the odd editing undercut things a little bit. I think they could have edited around the conversation's flow a little more, and just grouped like-topics together. But I'd be shocked if they didn't run this by Max first, so I'm sure all parties got the OK.

jett

D-Member
It's amazing the progress Rich has made with his weight loss, you can easily tell just from the neck up. Has he talked about this at all?

William

Finally got around to seeing Interstellar last night, and I liked it -but the best bit was finally getting to watch the RLM review. I have a few others that I skipped due to not wanting to be spoiled on stuff, so I'm going back through the archives this afternoon.

The little interconnected skits are hilarious out of context too.

Finally got around to seeing Interstellar last night, and I liked it -but the best bit was finally getting to watch the RLM review. I have a few others that I skipped due to not wanting to be spoiled on stuff, so I'm going back through the archives this afternoon.

The little interconnected skits are hilarious out of context too.

I do that as well. I watched Furious 7 and It Follows few weeks ago and then I remembered that they did an episode about one of the two movies. Turns out they covered both movies in one episode. The lack of criticism for F7 was a bit surprising, though. I agreed with some points (needed more Rock), but for me it was really no better than a Michael Bay movie. It was definitely almost offensive-dumb.

Anyone else feel they were a little too soft on Victor Frankenstein because they had the writer of it on the show earlier in the week? It sounds like a movie they would otherwise rip apart, especially Jay.

Sanjuro

Anyone else feel they were a little too soft on Victor Frankenstein because they had the writer of it on the show earlier in the week? It sounds like a movie they would otherwise rip apart, especially Jay.

Nah. They gave it the reaction I probably would have given as well. Just seemed like something fluttering between terrible and decent.

Unless they recorded this video first.

EDIT: No, never mind, they recorded this after the interview. Huh.

William

I do that as well. I watched Furious 7 and It Follows few weeks ago and then I remembered that they did an episode about one of the two movies. Turns out they covered both movies in one episode. The lack of criticism for F7 was a bit surprising, though. I agreed with some points (needed more Rock), but for me it was really no better than a Michael Bay movie. It was definitely almost offensive-dumb.

Yeah I agree, with that latest movie they lost whatever it was that made the last few so much fun. Maybe Paul Walker was a big part of that? Apparently they are making several more of them so we shall see if they recapture the magic.

Shy

Would have been funnier if Max was just standing behind them center in the frame while they talked about his movie.
LOL, i was thinking something similar, but i was thinking that he should be sitting in the chair behind Jay for the entire episode, and they don't even acknowledge him being there once.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LOL, i was thinking something similar, but i was thinking that he should be sitting in the chair behind Jay for the entire episode, and they don't even acknowledge him being there once.
Or just have him give them beers at random points during the episode.

Great episode. Though I haven't seen Creed or Victor Frankenstein to really critique their reviews. My only problems with Half in the Bag is that they really don't do enough episodes. They missed so many movies through October/ November. Mike and Jay sum that up perfectly at the beginning of the video. But then again, they are busy with their own movie project.

I don't think I've seen a single movie they discuss before watching HitB (nor barely any afterwards) and I still watch all episodes...
I've seen Mad Max afterwards because of them though. And now I'm thinking about Creed.

Sanjuro

I don't think I've seen a single movie they discuss before watching HitB (nor barely any afterwards) and I still watch all episodes...
I've seen Mad Max afterwards because of them though.

I'm the opposite. I see movies so frequently, due to them not being too prompt I usually have seen most of the films prior to the episode.

Oreoleo

I've seen Mad Max afterwards because of them though. And now I'm thinking about Creed.

Same, with the exception of Jurassic World. I put off seeing Mad Max until after I saw the HITB (way, way after the fact, mind) because they were so positive on it. I wasn't particularly enamored with it though, like most seem to be.

Nah. They gave it the reaction I probably would have given as well. Just seemed like something fluttering between terrible and decent.

Their views basically echoed the Double Toast guys. A movie that has a few good parts that never really becomes good. I enjoyed hearing some of the outtakes from Max's script. Worth listening to the episode for all the dirty Charlie Brown puns and the Landis quotes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They're up to episode 98 of Half in the Bag. Do we know if they plan on squeezing an episode 99 out so they can make 100 about Force Awakens? Are they even planning on touching that?

AniHawk

They're up to episode 98 of Half in the Bag. Do we know if they plan on squeezing an episode 99 out so they can make 100 about Force Awakens? Are they even planning on touching that?

they've been doing plinkett for the force awakens stuff so far (aside from the rich/mike discussion thing), so they might save it for that. of course it means a few months down the line and probably if it's not very good.

I mean it's pretty obvious they plan to make TFA episode 100 I'd honestly be shocked if it wasn't

No love for Order 99?

You know, part of me actually want to see Darth Jar Jar, just because of how insanely stupid it would be. Other than that I don't really care.

Anyway, I watched the Frankenstein video and while they were discussing the script and the cut part about reviving a dead baby it occurred to me that that is the real problem with all that script vetting bullshit: producers wouldn't know a good dramatic moment (or even money shot for that matter) when it hits them in the fucking face. Reviving a dead baby could basically be a king Solomon type moment with Ian Malcolm screaming in the back, while raising said revived baby to the onlooking audience (before it just stops or something). In terms of drama, that could be great. And it would certainly be a factor in the troubled relation between the scientific merit of the research (also invoking realism effect) versus what that means.
I know that's not what this movie was ever made or intended to be, but that just hit me. I mean, who even wants to see a comedic type Frankenstein movie? We already had 'no left turns allowed' Prometheus, so you really have to ask who this was intended for.

It's also weird that nobody seems to know that Frankenstein's golem was not a monster in appearance, that was the change made by the Boris "cocksucker!" (Ed Wood) Carloff movie. The original novel is apparently more of a Lucifer type deal: handsome and charming, and no discernible soul of any kind.
The fact that they stick with the 'monster' aspect is why even Robert De Niro couldn't make anything out of it. *looks the movie up* and directed by Kenneth Branagh to boot. If there was something there in terms of good story, they would have found it.
*looks up boxoffice* huh, 112 mil on a 45 budget. I always thought that movie bombed hard, but apparently it did okay.
And I, Frankenstein managed to just make back its budget of 65 mil at 71. Ha! Also, how is that movie so expensive?
Meanwhile, Victor Frankenstein is apparently on top of the 'Worst Wide Opening' list. The top three is all Fox too, which apparently made this movie, not Universal.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Fixed. They're probably gonna do Alvin & The Chipmunks 4 or something like that instead. Probably gonna save TFA for Plinkett.

"probably"? you actually think that is a serious possibility? the amount of time it would take to get a proper plinkett review out would make it insane not to get something else out quick. plinkett (real one, not the fraud) at best might make some cameo or quick commentary video.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm just now watching the Max Landis interview, and it's way more watchable than I figure it would be. Boy, it's so funny how much Max is just like his dad. Just put a beard and glasses on him.

Cheerilee

"probably"? you actually think that is a serious possibility? the amount of time it would take to get a proper plinkett review out would make it insane not to get something else out quick. plinkett (real one, not the fraud) at best might make some cameo or quick commentary video.

I think Star Trek gives a good idea of how RLM's going to handle The Force Awakens.

RLM was built on Mr Plinkett reviewing Star Trek movies (and then Star Wars movies) 14 years after-the-fact.

Then Star Trek 2009 came out, and Plinkett jumped at the chance to say something, making a short little video which nobody understood or liked. Then he took some time to make a more-traditional Plinkett review.

Then Into Darkness came out, and by this point Half in the Bag was a thing, so Mike/Jay/Rich spent 45 minutes talking about it. Then Plinkett made a half-assed 7-minute "review" which was mostly just pointing out that Into Darkness was a shameless cash-in with no original ideas (something which was briefly touched upon in HitB).

As I understand it, Plinkett Reviews make less money and take more effort than HitB, so I doubt they're going to save their material and put together a really great Plinkett Review for The Force Awakens. HitB is going to strike while the iron is hot and people are hyped. Plinkett might say something quick for the sake of tradition, and we'll be very lucky if he revisits the subject a few months later when the home video release comes out.

Blue Lou

I'm finding that too. I bought a new tv with a Youtube app and I found myself watching more of Red Letter Media's output than actual tv programmes.

Top Bottom