• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

komplanen

I love Plinkett reviews a lot but as long as they keep doing WotW, BotW, HitB and the commentary tracks as often or more often as this year, then I couldn't care if there was never a new Plinkett review.

I love Plinkett reviews a lot but as long as they keep doing WotW, BotW, HitB and the commentary tracks as often or more often as this year, then I couldn't care if there was never a new Plinkett review.

I've only listened to one Plinkett review but I've gone through almost all of the best of the worsts and HIBs. Am I doing it wrong?

Cheerilee

I've only listened to one Plinkett review but I've gone through almost all of the best of the worsts and HIBs. Am I doing it wrong?

What's wrong with your faaaacccee?

Plinkett Reviews are the definitive RLM. They change your life (assuming your life includes things like Star Trek and Star Wars, and it should). HitB and BotW are discount RLM, attached to worthless, disposable movies (of the mainstream and "B" variety).

Feeding Frenzy is an acceptable source of RLM (probably Space Cop too), but that's RLM in a "pure" form, and RLM gains flavor when it's cut with the right movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone who isn't really a fan of their movies, I'll be glad when Space Cop is out so that they can go back to just doing reviews again.

NeoGiff

I do think that Max has a lot of interesting things to say, and funnily enough, RLM provided a platform where he can get away with his opinionated way of speaking moreso than Twitter, for example. I'd love to see him with Jay and Mike again.

However, this does feel completely unscripted... did Max literally just show up, sit down, and start talking about random shit? That's the impression I get.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do think that Max has a lot of interesting things to say, and funnily enough, RLM provided a platform where he can get away with his opinionated way of speaking moreso than Twitter, for example. I'd love to see him with Jay and Mike again.

However, this does feel completely unscripted... did Max literally just show up, sit down, and start talking about random shit? That's the impression I get.
I assume he actually did get Fox to pay for a trip to their studio in order to plug the movie they talk about.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I assume he actually did get Fox to pay for a trip to their studio in order to plug the movie they talk about.

The trailer they played and talked about wasn't his movie. It was a different failed recent Frankenstein movie.

It wasn't a bad video, it was mostly Landis expanding on what he said on Twitter. Didn't back down from his comments or anything, just vocalizing what didn't come across on Twitter.

Eh. It's amazing how self absorbed he was, how much he acted like a know-it-all, how he sidesteped his career being due in part to the family name and connections, and it was disappointing that a lot of his bull wasn't called out. The interviews with Samurai Cop and Len were at least interesting and entertaining.

Next BotW is going to suck if he's on it.

jett

D-Member
Although Max Landis is kinda self-absorbed, he's entertaining and says a lot of interesting stuff. I thought it was highly entertaining vid, although not much of an interview. I thought he meshed decently enough with Jay and Mike. Well, with Jay. Not sure what's going on with Mike lately.

I was expecting a BOTW with him though.

More like "Jay has a conversation with Max Landis while Mike silently contemplates suicide".

Mike woke up the moment he had to defend Jurassic World
which sucked

He also used his SITH powers to control Jack into getting everyone beers. I miss Mike's Palpatine.

But as far as the video goes. I thought Max Landis had some interesting things to say, and I think they gave him a lot of room to speak his mind. Though Jay seems to be doing most of the speaking.

Although Max Landis is kinda self-absorbed, he's entertaining and says a lot of interesting stuff. I thought it was highly entertaining vid, although not much of an interview. I thought he meshed decently enough with Jay and Mike. Well, with Jay. Not sure what's going on with Mike lately.

I was expecting a BOTW with him though.
Len did an interview and a BOTW so there's still hope

I like Landis well enough and it's good to see this 'interview' went along smoothly enough, but he can get a bit annoying when he's clearly freaking out a bit over being with Mike and Jay.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
that was a good interview, pretty funny. a lot of what he is saying i already kind of knew, but it is sort of an updated look at what is going on.

its interesting how he put it that writing in the industry has become more like assignments than something you create. that is really what it is.

all of the marketing stuff and scripts becoming tortured monsters has always been the case, though, so not necessarily something unique to the current trend of "reference-only" products

That was really entertaining! Max seems like a pretty cool dude, albeit a little self-absorbed. I wish Mike had said more during the video, though.

Hatchtag

Banned
jesus christ max and mike/jay look so god damn different. like shit, milwaukee and especially madison have hipsters, but max still somehow looks so out of place right next to them.

Only got a chance to listen to half of the video but its very enjoyable, hopefully Max is on either hitb or botw (ideally both) as his style of comedy seems very in line with RLM's and he clearly likes and gets their work.

His remakes are surprisingly candid hopefully he doesn't lose his job over them.

qjq_ll.gif

jesus christ max and mike/jay look so god damn different. like shit, milwaukee and especially madison have hipsters, but max still somehow looks so out of place right next to them.

Max is almost like a polar opposite Jay. Mike is in another world all by himself.

can't watch that it's too awkward

I somehow missed the American Ultra review and watched this first, then went back to get some more context. Jay & Mike completely butchered that film (with hilarious results) and seemed like they were high on something while doing that vid. The results felt a bit more harsh and personal than usual.

With that in mind, yes, this does feel awkward.

komplanen

Kinda enjoyed the video but based on this interview alone I'm not yet 100% convinced having him on was a good move. I hope he's in a BotW or WotW or something stupid.

Just watched the interview, he seemed to be trying to cover his ass over the tweets a bit but overall the information he brought was interesting.

Before watching it I didn't like the idea him being in a botw but now I think he could fit in alright.

I was hoping they would do a bit where they put some of his movies on the wheel of the worst and then he came in and it got awkward and then they moved on.

ckohler

I cringed a lot at that interview. On one hand, I totally commend them for letting Max be on to give his side of the story. I also didn't mind some of the points he was making.

However...

This guy comes across as a real character and seems full of himself. I actually started to wonder if this wasn't just a friend of RLM pretending to be Max as a skit. No matter how right Max is about how messed up the Hollywood system is, that doesn't mean it can't ever be fixed or that RLM isn't right to ridicule the people who unabashedly work that system.

Another thing was that Max seems to legitimately be a fan of RLM and agreed to do the interview because he wanted to make peace with them. Yet, he pretty much just comes across awkward, leaving Mike and Jay to only nod their heads and politely hold their tongues. He says he can take criticism but I kinda doubt it. Then again, I don't want to come down too hard on him because it does seem like he's stuck working in a broken system.

Like I said, the whole thing was really cringe worthy. Mad props to RLM for going through with the interview. They no doubt knew it would be as awkward as it was.

Grinchy

Banned

Maybe it's because he looks like he's dressed up in a costume. He looks like this guy on a day off:

zSGoTOU.jpg

Only got a chance to listen to half of the video but its very enjoyable, hopefully Max is on either hitb or botw (ideally both) as his style of comedy seems very in line with RLM's and he clearly likes and gets their work.

His remakes are surprisingly candid hopefully he doesn't lose his job over them.

He's not saying anything that people in the industry don't already know, that was basically his point. I will say that he's wrong about two things though: 1: Twitter is an effective medium for communication, 2: character development is done in separate scenes versus characterization.
One thing that was clearly lacking in American Ultra was the lack of proper characterization, where the actors had just one aspect (per character) to work with versus the multitude that a fully fledged character should have, and couldn't really do much more with them. Either because there was no time, money, or the director didn't see that, whatever. I'm not willing to buy completely into a fairly typical "there is a system of hacks, therefore anything goes now!" type reasoning. A better writer tends to create better movies, even under the studio system. Hacks will still produce successful hot garbage (see given examples of TF4 and JW), but not because nobody ever tried to make something slightly better out of it.

He's not saying anything that people in the industry don't already know, that was basically his point. I will say that he's wrong about two things though: 1: Twitter is an effective medium for communication, 2: character development is done in separate scenes versus characterization.
One thing that was clearly lacking in American Ultra was the lack of proper characterization, where the actors had just one aspect (per character) to work with versus the multitude that a fully fledged character should have, and couldn't really do much more with them. Either because there was no time, money, or the director didn't see that, whatever. I'm not willing to buy completely into a fairly typical "there is a system of hacks, therefore anything goes now!" type reasoning. A better writer tends to create better movies, even under the studio system. Hacks will still produce successful hot garbage (see given examples of TF4 and JW), but not because nobody ever tried to make something slightly better out of it.

Fair enough

Finished the interview, despite it having some awkward moments and Max dominating it at points it was still the most entertaining of the 3 interviews even if it was the least informative/interesting.

Grinchy

Banned
One thing that was clearly lacking in American Ultra was the lack of proper characterization, where the actors had just one aspect (per character) to work with versus the multitude that a fully fledged character should have, and couldn't really do much more with them.

Topher Grace's character is a really good example of that. It was so one-dimensional that the whole motive of the plot lost any credibility.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"...that was my first masturbation experience!"

it's totally different when the RLM guys say it because you can tell they are being facetious

Landis though? This is the most cringeworthy thing I've watched since I FUCKING LOVE STAR WARS, and I'm only two minutes in.

Top Bottom