• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Red Redemption 2 coming to PC November 5th

Honest question: do people actually play third person games with mouse + keyboard? 😳

OrK14WV.jpg

Last edited:
Yes my friend all the time , if any game requires any kind of shooting , either 1st or 3rd person i will be going straight to mouse and keyboard, M+K is so much more comfortable for ME because i am terrible aiming with a controller.
Yeah I understand! Different people have different priorities and preferences. :)

However a game like The Witcher 3 or Yakuza on PC id play with a controller so it depends on the game , as you said more options the better.
Yeah! Playing Witcher 3 or say, Dark Souls with mouse + keyboard sounds like a total nightmare to me. I've honestly never really thought about it, that there could be people who prefer that it to controllers.

Aiming is easier with mouse, but everything else pretty much sucks playing games like these with m&kb. I'm sure playing with m&kb will be preferred for anything competitive though.

I was exclusively a PC m&kb gamer for a long time, but moved on to using a controller for the majority of the games I play these days as they simply play better with one. It does take a while to adjust of course, and aiming will never be better, but unless you're playing competitive games, it doesn't really matter. Mouse aim feels like a strait up easy mode cheat in most shooters these days when they're fully designed for controller gameplay. For me the comfort and analog movement takes precedence these days, and I'll only switch to m&kb if the controller is too limited/cumbersome in some more complex games.

Aiming is easier with mouse, but everything else pretty much sucks playing games like these with m&kb. I'm sure playing with m&kb will be preferred for anything competitive though.

I was exclusively a PC m&kb gamer for a long time, but moved on to using a controller for the majority of the games I play these days as they simply play better with one. It does take a while to adjust of course, and aiming will never be better, but unless you're playing competitive games, it doesn't really matter. Mouse aim feels like a strait up easy mode cheat in most shooters these days when they're fully designed for controller gameplay. For me the comfort and analog movement takes precedence these days, and I'll only switch to m&kb if the controller is too limited/cumbersome in some more complex games.

1000% this. I play both on consoles and PC, but I would never ever consider using mouse + keyboard for third person games.

Last edited:

Starfield

Anyone where who can give a small insight on what to look out for when playing RDR2?

I've played the first one on my Xbox 360 and want to know if it still feels like the first one, if the story and world is great, etc..

I have doubts that RDR2 is better than the first game since there wasn't alot of hype/talk after the game released anymore, unlike with RDR1

Hudo

Now with their fucking launcher in place, can we expect Rockstar Games to release the PC versions of their next games simultaneously with the console versions?

Anyone where who can give a small insight on what to look out for when playing RDR2?

I've played the first one on my Xbox 360 and want to know if it still feels like the first one, if the story and world is great, etc..

I have doubts that RDR2 is better than the first game since there wasn't alot of hype/talk after the game released anymore, unlike with RDR1

People seem to have very different opinions about this, of course. I loved the first game and I still do. Replayed it recently after RDR2 and I think the first game is better in every aspect except graphically.

The second game to me has no sense of direction in the story. I won't spoil but in many regards I don't think it makes sense, or maybe it just wasn't what I was looking for personally.

I had the feeling of "OK.. So when is it going to get good?" the entire game. It's got a completely different atmosphere than the first game, a lot more politically correct and woke.

A lot of jokes an characters from the first game could NEVER have made it into the RDR2.

The world is tremendously well made and the game had so much potential, but it's just not filled with anything worthwhile to me. In the first game I wanted to explore everything, do every mission, find every animal etc.. Everything was just magical and had so much atmosphere.

In RDR2 I never could find any motivation for a lot of the stuff. I guess it has a lot to do with the story. The story from the first game was simple enough but well written, and it made me feel like I really had a goal and a purpose. That made everything come together and made the exploring and just random stuff feel really worthwhile.

Also, I never cared about the main character in RDR2, whatever his name is, whereas I really grew fond of John Marston.

Also there are so many memorable side missions and characters from the first game, but I can hardly remember anything from the second. Super bland.

I'm sure a lot of people won't agree at all :)

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I see a controls discussion going on here - remember Quantum Break? I absolutely love the game, but I will be the first one to admit the game was literally unplayable with M+K, LITERALLY, and I feel the same may happen with RDR2, where if they completely screw up the controls, there will be no actual choice but to play the game with a controller anyway.

scalman

so they showed PC screens but they tell nothing to us, we need comparison like console side by side to pc and what is enhanced there on pc.

Thaedolus

I see a controls discussion going on here - remember Quantum Break? I absolutely love the game, but I will be the first one to admit the game was literally unplayable with M+K, LITERALLY, and I feel the same may happen with RDR2, where if they completely screw up the controls, there will be no actual choice but to play the game with a controller anyway.

I would bet almost anything the controls are 100% the same as on consoles by default and fully customizable, as is almost always the case with every PC port.

Last edited:
So I watched the first game on YT on a playthrough. Actual watch time was...4-5 hours? The videos skipped much of the grinding, and travel. Any rate it cut unnecessary watchable content.

While the story itself was pretty good, I'm not sure that it really looked that fun to play. Fairly repetitive. Although one could say that with most games. So just earnestly asking if the story in RDR2 is worth the mechanics, and pacing of the gameplay. I can't be the only kid on the street without lights on my shoes, but just want to make sure it's at least fun.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I’d prefer not to as digital 8-way movement is really awkward. But mouse control is just too good
It really depends a lot on how important precise aiming is in this game.
If it is important, or you can gain a significant advantage by it, then kb+m all the way. That you can't move that well won't matter in that case.

And vice versa, of course. If aiming isn't that important but movement is (think something like Dark Souls), then a controller would be better.

Given that this is a game where you shoot guns, though, and probably as the main focus in combat as well, I'd bet on kb+m having the advantage.

Obviously, it will be playable with either, but I'm arguing which one is more advantageous if everything else is equal.

Last edited:

Kabelly

play the game with the steam controller/DS4/ Switch Pro controller with gyro aim enabled and all you controller only users will have all your stick aiming problems solved.

So I watched the first game on YT on a playthrough. Actual watch time was...4-5 hours? The videos skipped much of the grinding, and travel. Any rate it cut unnecessary watchable content.

While the story itself was pretty good, I'm not sure that it really looked that fun to play. Fairly repetitive. Although one could say that with most games. So just earnestly asking if the story in RDR2 is worth the mechanics, and pacing of the gameplay. I can't be the only kid on the street without lights on my shoes, but just want to make sure it's at least fun.
RDR2 boiled down to it's basic elements may not seem that exciting, but it's more than a sum of it's parts, taken as a whole, it's western escapism at it's finest and one of the most immersive games to date.

Skyr

RDR2 boiled down to it's basic elements may not seem that exciting, but it's more than a sum of it's parts, taken as a whole, it's western escapism at it's finest and one of the most immersive games to date.

It certainly is the best walking simulator ever. And I mean this in the best way possible.
Leaving the flawed gameplay mechanics aside, just exploring the world and immersing myself in a Wild West fantasy was worth every penny for it.

God I can’t wait to play it finally with the framerate it deserves.

It certainly is the best walking simulator ever. And I mean this in the best way possible.
Leaving the flawed gameplay mechanics aside, just exploring the world and immersing myself in a Wild West fantasy was worth every penny for it.

God I can’t wait to play it finally with the framerate it deserves.
I agree completely. I adored RDR and played through RDR2 non stop until I beat it, but it's controls and framerate were just awful. I loved everything about RDR2 except the thing you do 100% of the time, controlling it. The PC version should fix every gripe I have with it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Honest question: do people actually play third person games with mouse + keyboard? 😳

Mass Effect trilogy on insane difficulty on mouse/keyboard. Wouldn't have it any other way. Not to mention Splinter Cell is perfect with KB/M.

I suppose if your 3rd person game is more melee based, like Devil May Cry or Batman, then yea I would want a controller.

Mass Effect trilogy on insane difficulty on mouse/keyboard. Wouldn't have it any other way. Not to mention Splinter Cell is perfect with KB/M.

I suppose if your 3rd person game is more melee based, like Devil May Cry or Batman, then yea I would want a controller.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Batman, DMC etc.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I like playing these rockstar games with mouse and kb so I can easily pan around the world and take in all the detail. Mouselook is just so good when you want to really immerse.

sendit

Yeah, but for the life of me I don't get how. No matter how hard I try, I just suck, suck, suck at keyboard and mouse. My kids have no issues with it though. Makes me feel like a grandpa without grand kids.

No issues with either. Using a Razer Naga or similar solves a majority of my problems. Aiming is second to none with a mouse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom