• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reddit] Gabe Newell AMA - January 17th, 3pm PST

Arulan

It's pretty telling that the majority of comments here are only concerned with their next campaign-focused title and memes. I'd like to play those games as much as anyone, but Valve is also one of the most influential gaming companies in the industry.

Personally I'd like to ask him on an update on his viewpoint on the Windows closed-platform threat, and what plans do they have to further Linux support in the industry. I have a lot of VR questions too.

There was a time when it was always worth listening to this man. I suppose I'll read for some thoughts on virtual reality and hardware. But not exactly expecting him to talk about anything interesting software wise.

There's a ton of interesting questions about VR and the like. Too bad he won't be able to find them among all the "HURR DURR DO YOU STILL MAKE GAMES" memes.

Ionic

It's pretty telling that the majority of comments here are only concerned with their next campaign-focused title and memes. I'd like to play those games as much as anyone, but Valve is also one of the most influential gaming companies in the industry.

Personally I'd like to ask him on an update on his viewpoint on the Windows closed-platform threat, and what plans do they have to further Linux support in the industry. I have a lot of VR questions too.

A general trend is that people are grossly misinformed as to what Valve does. I want to say it's lack of communication on their part, but they hold multi-day conferences where they talk about their work. Ultimately all their API and hardware work isn't interesting to most people which is a bummer. Not that I wouldn't mind if Gabe said something about that VR content they said they're working on.

dex3108

new vive controllers please baby gaben jesus

They already showed them at Dev Days last October I think.

I think that I will ask is there a chance for Portal MP. Portal MP is something that could be interesting, there is potential.

The sad truth is that nobody here has the attention span to care about this stuff, even though it's the future of the industry. Much easier to spew memes all day.

UrbanRats

I want to know more details about their VR efforts.

Actually this would be interesting.

As i said in another thread of VR developers struggling to break even, Valve and Oculus (and Sony) should be the ones eating that loss to push the platform and expand the install base.
I assume they're doing this already, but it'd be nice to know their future plans for, for example, a cheaper Vive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Left 4 Dead 3?

The likelihood of it being any different to the other L4D games in that regard strikes me as decidedly low, but I'd love to be wrong. I was initially optimistic as Clint Hocking began working on L4D3 some time after joining Valve in mid-2012, however he left 18 months later, in January 2014, so I doubt he was leading the charge or otherwise chiefly involved with an SP component.

L.O.R.D

i would ask if they can lower their profit from publisher from %30 to %20 maybe,so more devs will start publish their games on steam.

Considering the subreddit it's taking place on bans the number "3" or "Half-Life 3", this is going to be a very fruitful conversation about Ricochet 2.

AHA-Lambda

i would ask if they can lower their profit from publisher from %30 to %20 maybe,so more devs will start publish their games on steam.

??

Why would they? 30% is like an industry standard and hardly unreasonable.
Plus given their minimal curation it's hardly seeming that people are holding back from releasing on Steam :/

patapuf

Left 4 Dead 3?

they put out a VR demo and maintain their MP games, they will supposedly unveil a VR game later this year.

Then there's all the various API's they've put recently, but i know that's of no interest to peole that want HL3 :p

Also, i don't think L4D3 will be an SP game. Beyond being able to play with bots.

That's standart rate for all digital stores, not just games. If IOS and Android are any indication, the 30% cut doesn't stop anyone from releasing anyhting.

Edit: ah, you probably mean EA and co.

CuNi

I would like to know if there is any truth about the rumors that surfaced about the different genre's of half life 3 prototypes. Hope this doesn't count as a direct half life 3 questions.
Just wanna know if the rumors were true..

Compsiox

Banned
After viewing the subreddit, I don't think this is real. Gabe would have to be dumb to do an AMA with these guys.

Sakujou

Banned
the internet never forgets... daym, its been more than 10years since half life 2,people still whine about that game.

Zen Aku

When are you going to upgrade them servers so that they don't shit the bed anymore during a sale?

pschh also Half-Life 3...?

GcRayden

I want to know if they are ever going to implement some kind of quality control on Steam Greenlight. The amount of games that are put on Steam as barebones, asset flip, or unplayable are staggering to say the least.

As an indie dev who has worked on my own game for well over 5 years now, I want to release my game, but the statistics that nearly 40% of all games on steam were released in 2016 is absolutely terrifying to me.

If it were to get over-shadowed with junk dollar games -- I don't know what I'd do.

Drazgul

Chû Totoro;228467129 said:
If he'd answer that, perfect answer imo ^^
For me HL 3 is just a troll meme/joke now. I'd rather have something totally new...

It would have to be the Greatest Game Ever™ to avoid being a total disappointment after all the pent-up hype and waiting (and even then some people would bitch about it).

Top Bottom