• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reddit] Gabe Newell AMA - January 17th, 3pm PST

eot

Banned
How can Steam make hundreds of millions (if not over a billion) in revenue per year and yet you cannot fund an adequate customer service department?
Because they measure their success in terms of profitability per employee. Customer service is terrible for that.

Chris_C

I'd like to know where Source 2 is. It was announced via press release a year and a half ago, but has only been implemented in DOTA 2.

this thing is going to be an epic clusterfuck isn't it?

HL3
HL2: ep3
Portal 3
L4D3
Steam/Greenlight/Early Access
Steam OS
Steam controller

so many potential flashpoints

nyan

Neo Member
I'm just wondering how much are CSGO and Dota 2 earning each year. On the last steam sale both were at the top sellers, they're 4-5 year old games and were on the top selling games last year (CSGO started earning way more starting in 2013, but mostly exploded in 2014)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ask for an updated version of basically what will happen to all everyone's steam games provided steam goes down forever?

I doubt anything has changed. Steam Support has been saying "measures are in place to ensure that all users continue to have have access to their Steam games" since at least mid-2010 and as recently as February 2014.

cyba89

Will they ever give the steam client a serious revamp?

Guys, Valve released a new game in 2016.

You mean the small tech demo I need an 900€ accessoire for?
Damn the standards of some of you about what to expect from a Valve singleplayer game have sunken really low if this stuff counts.

dr_rus

Guys, Valve released a new game in 2016.

tumblr_myvv07At841rmin5no1_400.gif

patapuf

Damn the standards of some of you about what to expect from a Valve singleplayer game have sunken really low if this stuff counts.

If the question is "when are valve going to release an AAA SP game?" rather than "what is Valve even doing ?!?" then the answer is: They probably won't.

Nzyme32

Well it's better than most of the Vr stuff that can equally be called a "tech demo" by the same logic.

More amusing is that they already confirmed their next project for VR is out this year - and why shouldn't it be a focus; other than to satiate those wanting "more of the same" sequelitis of single player games. Check out Geoff Keighley's interview from GDC a couple of years back for discussion on why they are not stopping narrative based games but rather moving away from the standard single player "one and done" games.

liquidtmd

Banned
Check out Geoff Keighley's interview from GDC a couple of years back for discussion on why they are not stopping narrative based games but rather moving away from the standard single player "one and done" games.

Semantics - the end result is still that we don't get them

most commonly asked topics besides HL3:

- steam's poor customer service
- all the terribly made games on steam that's designed to cash in on the trading cards.
- lack of quality control on steam greenlight
- CSGO skins and gambling

cyba89

If the question is "when are valve going to release an AAA SP game?" rather than "what is Valve even doing ?!?" then the answer is: They probably won't.

I think everyone knows pretty well what people mean when they ask "Is Valve still making games?"

More amusing is that they already confirmed their next project for VR is out this year - and why shouldn't it be a focus; other than to satiate those wanting "more of the same" sequelitis of single player games.

I believe it when that game is announced. People are telling me we will get Left4Dead 3 soon for at least three years now.
And calling narrative driven "one and done" singleplayer games "more of the same" is insane to me.

It will go just fine, he will ignore or give a no comment answer to anything regarding HL3, he is expecting this and obviously it won't be the first time he is bumping into this question, he is probably an expert in how to avoid HL3 discussions by now :p

Been doing it as long as making games.

'I understand employees have access to an trove of unlimited candy of all varieties. Mr. Newell, my question is, may I please have a job?'

There are so many good questions to ask him about trends, the industry, Steam, other platforms, etc, but I guess I understand the salt / crankiness.

Nzyme32

Semantics - the end result is still that we don't get them

You can't really put it down to semantics since that was their conversation and they haven't proven or disproven it yet since they haven't released any games. For it to be semantics, the nature of what they put out would need to be called into question and be some faux version.

I think everyone knows pretty well what people mean when they ask "Is Valve still making games?"

I believe it when that game is announced. People are telling me we will get Left4Dead 3 soon for at least three years now.
And calling narrative driven "one and done" singleplayer games "more of the same" is insane to me.

In the context of that discussion it makes sense. They have moved away from products that go out and have nothing to build upon. That's their direction now, service games, and in the context of Source 2, having many thousands of people annotating and building upon a game universe. If you see a new HL or L4D or Portal, it will revolve around this concept including for narrative "single player" components. That discussion is a great bit of insight into their thinking. Whether it is good, bad, works or doesn't is an entirely different matter.

Is SteamOS still a priority?

Linux topics were only a small part of Steam Dev Days. The Big Picture UI has stagnated outside of controller mapping, and is far behind PS4 in functionality and polish. There's still no sign of support from major publishers like EA, Ubi, Activision and Bethesda. Bethesda developed DOOM with an OpenGL renderer, then added Vulkan support, (which apparently runs near-perfect under Wine), but still won't port to Linux.

MUnited83

For you.

It's a game. It released in 2016. Of course it counts. Just because people have stupid arbitrary concepts of what a "game" is, doesn't mean its any less true ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nzyme32

Hi Gabe, member why you were going to start charging us for mods?

If you haven't paid attention - they already brought it back last year successfully, and went through the logic behind it and this better implementation - http://www.pcgamer.com/valve-custom-game-pass-interview/

Still got a ways to go though after the rather hilarious use of Blizzard art that the modder didn't think to replace and had to do so shortly after.

I wanna hear about the translation/Torsten Zabka/trans discrimination fiasco, but I doubt he'll comment on that.

I think there may be ongoing legal action, so he wouldn't be able to comment anyway.

Adnor

Banned
I would like to ask him about when we'll hear more about the launch of the Steam Controller in other regions. I remember they said that they would release it in Chile in the future, but I'm still waiting.

Nzyme32

Is SteamOS still a priority?

Linux topics were only a small part of Steam Dev Days. The Big Picture UI has stagnated outside of controller mapping, and is far behind PS4 in functionality and polish. There's still no sign of support from major publishers like EA, Ubi, Activision and Bethesda. Bethesda developed DOOM with an OpenGL renderer, then added Vulkan support, (which apparently runs near-perfect under Wine), but still won't port to Linux.

I'm not sure what you are expecting. Functionality wise BPM is better than most imo. As for Linux the priorities are much the same - Vulkan, changing the packaging stuff on Linux and how multiple OS are approached, open source driver work, the controller stuff to gradually shift away from xinput dominance, OS updates, VR compatibility and engine implementation for Vulkan and VR etc etc. Their effort is fairly low key and serves as their "get out of jail free card" should Windows become untenable, rather than "make Linux popular in X years"; there isn't a particular need to do so.

Ask him if he has a GAF account.

He's definitely one of the shitposters that always says "PC is a beast"
and PS4 / Xbox One is a beast just add to thr trolling

mrback

still makes my brain hurt that they can do nothing with such an iconic brand (half life) they should be doing stuff every 2-3 years on this. licence to print money etc.

q4roel

Aren't most of the people who played HL2 when it first came out in their 30's to 40's now?
Pretty sure the majority of people asking for it are merely carrying on for traditions sake.
*sigh* I really want Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, TF3, Day Of Defeat 2, a new Counter Strike :(

2004 isn't THAT long ago, and the last part in the series (Episode 2) came out nine years ago. I'm in my twenties (26) now, so yeah, there will be people waiting for this.

Top Bottom