• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie and Miyamoto to Host Pre-E3 Presentation, unknown if livestreamed

No Iwata = No global presentation in front of millions of people

Lack of Iwata + Reggie + Miyamoto = Smaller demonstrations focused not on announcements, but on demonstration

Basically, it's just going to be Reggie and Miyamoto being a couple of badasses on a private stage floor to the media. Live Wii U Zelda and Wii U Smash Bros. demonstrations to the Media, anyone?

Expect ZERO announcements beyond live gameplay demonstrations.

The E3 announcements will be at the Nintendo Direct(s)

Essentially, Nintendo's "E3 Press Conference" = E3 Nintendo Direct(s).

If people would've actually read the Iwata quote, there would be no confusion:

No big conference, instead:

- Nintendo Direct for Fans on the Net
- Presentation for the Media (not streamed)
- Retailer centric presentation

This is the second one, the media only event, that is hosted by Reggie and Shiggy, with Demos and shit.

Nintendo didn't even say that they would have a Nintendo Direct for E3; they said they'd have ones leading up to E3 as usual and that Japan would receive one recapping E3 info for Japanese fans. As for what format the American audience would receive info in, they didn't say other than that they exploring different options.

Persona7

Banned
They never said they aren't having a conference; they said they aren't having a single big conference like they usually do. They're breaking the big conference up into smaller conferences dedicated to the 3 audiences they are attempting to reach. At the time they normally have their 1 conference they will have three simultaneously; one will be dedicated to distributors, one will be dedicated to the press, and one will be dedicated to gamers. This way they can tailor the conferences to the interests of the relevant viewers and avoid frustration and misinformation.

Ok, I misread the original news then. I interpreted it as they were just going to continue the Directs and then have a large space on the convention floor while bypassing the regular large event completely.

Rubius

There's no big E3 reveal, there will be a booth with games and people that go to the E3 will get to play them, see the trailers in the screens.

The press will be given a presentation which will probably be more in-depth than the Nintendo Directs, and we'll get more information out of them thanks to that, than just from Iwata on the ND.

But we have no Banana and no Non Specific Action Figure. Instead we will have Lazer tag and Giant Enemy crab while Nintendo is showing Wii U games. I do wonder why they didnt want a big E3 show. Scared of the E3 rating?

The only reason you would want to talk to the media seperately is to give the media some information that can't be gotten from the ND (or else, why would the media even bother showing up?). Probably just a Q&A, but I expect we'll at least see a bit more info from it than just the ND alone.

Bullza2o

Yea, this is the conclusion I've come to now that I've read it again. I guess they are going to do what they did at the last 3DS direct regularly.

This makes sense. But wasn't there like an hour or 2 in between the end of Direct and the start of the event? This means the E3 Direct might happen at 7am CDT or something.

RagnarokX

I expected this since the moment they announced their E3 changes, but still, I don't understand shit.

Why change something... to end up keepining it the same, but different, but almost the same?

I think Nintendo HAS to do this. Look at the past few E3s; they've pleased nobody. The press didn't get enough information and reported incorrect things that confused potential buyers, and the gamers were bored by tedious explanations of strategy and concepts.

With this format Nintendo has a better chance of meeting the needs of everyone. With the press conference they can go slow, give drawn-out explanations, give hands on demos, and answer direct questions that would bore the shit out of the gamer audience, and with a gamer specific presentation they can show us the games without boring the shit out of us with marketing talk and tedious explanations.

Clearly the usual approach isn't working; they need to change their game.

Vashetti

Banned
reggie-fils-aime.jpg

I really don't care in what form any announcements are made, be it on stage, on the show floor, or from Iwata's bedroom.

The only conference deserves to be live on stage is the Konami one, and that'll never happen again. :(

Shaanyboi

Banned
so the bombs are still coming???
You could say that again!

AHAHAAHA HHAHAHAHA HA HAHA HA

i am genuinely excited for their E3

EDIT: wait wait wait, I thought of a better one...
*clears throat*
Bombs? But I thought the WiiU already came out?!

AAHAHAHA HAHAHA HA HAHA

Aaaaand I'm done

But yes, I'd assume this is perhaps more a Q&A setting after most of their Nintendo Directs are out there, and this elaborates more, or lets them do some actual demonstrations.

But we have no Banana and no Non Specific Action Figure. Instead we will have Lazer tag and Giant Enemy crab while Nintendo is showing Wii U games. I do wonder why they didnt want a big E3 show. Scared of the E3 rating?

Big E3 showings cost money... Lots of money, from renting the stage, giant screens, specially tailored demo footage, etc. They also know there is little chance that anything they put out will get them front page coverage at an E3 when 2 other companies are showing off new hardware.

I wouldn't call it "scared", I'd call it being pragmatic.

onipex

Holy crap people still thought that they were only doing directs even after it was said that they are still holding events for the press.

Khrno

You are not making any sense. As if Iwata didn't usually have some weird shit on the NDs anyway, remember the street view thing?

They didn't want a big show because that costs money, Iwata is trying to save on expenses, having a small closed doors presentation is much more cheaper than a big show.

What is so complicated about this? They're just changing up their presentation style. Iwata will probably do the directs, Reggie and Mitamoto will do the smaller conference, and there will be demos on the show floor with a few smaller presentations. People are reading way too much into this.

What is so complicated about this? They're just changing up their presentation style. Iwata will probably do the directs, Reggie and Mitamoto will do the smaller conference, and there will be demos on the show floor with a few smaller presentations. People are reading way too much into this.
Nothing. People are deliberately ignoring basic information so they have some ammunition to use against Nintendo.

Khrno

But some of them are not even reading.

Um, wasn't Non Specific Action Figure introduced in a web video?

What happened to that guy anyway?

DaBoss

Except this is likely to be for the press only while we get a Nintendo Direct instead of a live press conference. That is the something that people are confused about.

This makes sense. But wasn't there like an hour or 2 in between the end of Direct and the start of the event? This means the E3 Direct might happen at 7am CDT or something.

I'm pretty sure it started almost right after the direct was over.

RagnarokX

Nothing. People are deliberately ignoring basic information so they have some ammunition to use against Nintendo.

But they're still renting the Nokia Theater. I doubt they are saving any money doing this. I think they are doing it so that they can give each audience the specific attention they need to get their point across since the old approach was failing.

Minions

So they are doing exactly what they announced a week ago. 2 "smaller" presentations for specific groups that are private, not open to the public or streamed? The only "new" news being Miyamoto and Reggie will be there. Not really surprised to be honest.

Rubius

Um, wasn't Non Specific Action Figure introduced in a web video?

What happened to that guy anyway?

That's the point. I'm saying that if you are to do stuff like that, they should simply do a Nintendo Direct, where they can do what ever they want without the crowd noise in the background.

Toparaman

Banned
But seriously, this is exciting news. They've definitely got something up their sleeves. Something gimmicky, probably, but novel.

Nintendo World MMORPG, with a fusion of gameplay styles from each of their franchises?

nekomix

Big E3 showings cost money... Lots of money, from renting the stage, giant screens, specially tailored demo footage, etc. They also know there is little chance that anything they put out will get them front page coverage at an E3 when 2 other companies are showing off new hardware.

I wouldn't call it "scared", I'd call it being pragmatic.

Will it be really less expensive? They're still hosting at the Nokia Theatre for the retailer conference, they may host another one in the Convention Center (if that means hands-on directly after this), we don't know if they'll produce exclusive demos for the press conference... It still remains some gaps.

plufim

Now watch as the press report this as back-peddling rather than admit they got the story wrong last week.

Nintendo didn't even say that they would have a Nintendo Direct for E3; they said they'd have ones leading up to E3 as usual and that Japan would receive one recapping E3 info for Japanese fans. As for what format the American audience would receive info in, they didn't say other than that they exploring different options.

Yet they made it abundandtly clear that they'd have dedicated events for fans, press and retailers, and were at E3, and were engaging the press.... But people were too busy talking shit to stop for a second and read.

Reading comprehension seems to be either massively low around here or people ignored it on purpose.

Anyway, this presentation most likely won't be live streamed, but it most definetly will be set up in a way so that the press can do off screen videos of demos, interviews etc, before regular show floor madness starts.

Minions

Now watch as the press report this as back-peddling rather than admit they got the story wrong last week.

The press did not mess anything up.... it was released by Nintendo as a press release.... so no. The press release said 2 behind the doors meetings. One with press, one with distributors. Nothing has changed.

A Nintendo direct is all the "public" stuff that will be at E3, and I assume the demos will be fair game a day+ later as the press gets first hands on.

This. And I thought GAF was the elite :-(
And the junior slowly becomes the member

Seems like this'll end up being a further evolution of their past few E3's. 2010 they had the booth babes out right after the keynote to give people hands-on experience with the 3DS, last year they had the more informal 3DS mini presentation.

BD1

Banned
Maybe we'll see a schedule along the lines of this:

Sunday Night - Nintendo Direct Debut trailers of Mario U, Mario Kart, "Surprise" software reveal like Retro's game and/or Wii Sports U. Hosted by Iwata.

Tuesday Morning - Reggie & Miyamoto host a bunch of live demos for the press, livestreamed.

Tuesday-Weds: Smaller Nintendo Directs throughout the day on third party games, eShop/indie games, 3DS etc. Maybe a Tuesday Night N-Direct developer roundtable.

Wednsday Night - Nintendo Direct big reveal of Smash Bros.

eShop constantly updated with videos and demos from the show floor.

Sadist

But they're still renting the Kodak Theater. I doubt they are saving any money doing this. I think they are doing it so that they can give each audience the specific attention they need to get their point across since the old approach was failing.
Nokia Theater since a couple of years actually.

Phazon

Maybe we'll see a schedule along the lines of this:

Sunday Night - Nintendo Direct Debut trailers of Mario U, Mario Kart, "Surprise" software reveal like Retro's game and/or Wii Sports U. Hosted by Iwata.

Tuesday Morning - Reggie & Miyamoto host a bunch of live demos for the press, livestreamed.

Tuesday-Weds: Smaller Nintendo Directs throughout the day on third party games, eShop/indie games, 3DS etc. Maybe a Tuesday Night N-Direct developer roundtable.

Wednsday Night - Nintendo Direct big reveal of Smash Bros.

eShop constantly updated with videos and demos from the show floor.

This would be a very awesome idea (to spread out stuff and announcements)

And the junior slowly becomes the member

Seems like this'll end up being a further evolution of their past few E3's. 2010 they had the booth babes out right after the keynote to give people hands-on experience with the 3DS, last year they had the more informal 3DS mini presentation.

Yes, this does remind me of how the 2010 presentation attendees got to play The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword as soon as the presentation was over.

I can't wait to learn more.

Top Bottom