• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie and Miyamoto to Host Pre-E3 Presentation, unknown if livestreamed

7bsjD.jpg

rGZMBWx.jpg

Because there are three different audiences they want to address and they can't address one audience effectively without alienating the others so they are addressing them all separately.
and this is supposed to be easier for them or something? Isn't it better to just knock it all out in one big thing. Especially if you're going to be there doing events already, and be on the showfloor. Maybe it's not easier to do that, what do I know, just seems weird.

so when what tuesday is the meeting at

1. Conference is for the press, not the public (so no livestreams likely)

2. Conference will be BEFORE the show floor opens, so it will be held either June 10th with MS + Sony + Ubisoft + EA's pre-E3 press events, or hours before the floor opens on June 11th.

3. Conference will be extremely focused on DEMONSTRATIONS, not on announcements

DaBoss

and this is supposed to be easier for them or something? Isn't it better to just knock it all out in one big thing. Especially if you're going to be there doing events already, and be on the showfloor. Maybe it's not easier to do that, what do I know, just seems weird.

Maybe, maybe not, but we're going to get a less bloated E3 this year since it is in Nintendo Direct form and not a press conference.

They can get the message clearly sent to each of their audiences with different presentations and because of that we won't have to sit through the boring parts.

ASIS

Not easier, but more effective I'd assume.

HURRAY!!!!

I wanna see Metroid Prime 4 and the new 3D Mario and Kart.
I know this will sound weird, but lately I've been really eager to see a new Geist. Just think about it, it could be something really special on the Wii U.

Kamille

I don't know, it makes sense to me. At past E3s people complained about how boring the "charts" portion of the conferences were. Some of the overly casual-focused stuff of past E3s were also complained about by a lot of core gamers. Certain things appeal more to retailers as it shows how a product can sell to mass audiences and casual gamers. Catering a conference to all audiences at once doesn't always work out that well. Something aimed at us (gamers in general) and focusing mainly on the games could be good. I'd like to see how this works out. The only thing really missing is the spectacle of one big conference.

RagnarokX

It's not about it being easier; it's about making the audiences happy and minimizing misinformation. If they give the press the amount of attention they need, the gamers get bored. If they make the conference for the enjoyment of the gamers, the press doesn't get enough info. With a normal E3 conference they try to balance these audiences along with distributor and investor talk and the end result is that nobody is pleased. The press doesn't get enough info and misreports what Nintendo showed and the gamers get bored watching painstakingly detailed explanations of Nintendo Land minigames.

Nintendo needs to be more direct with the press, but such a conference doesn't make good viewing material for gamers, so they're giving us our own presentations focused on what we care about.

BD1

Banned

This year more than ever, they'll need to be more targeted. Especially with the retail, e-tail & distribution partners. This strategy will theoretically allow them to do that.

Alls I know is there better not be any new news in the conferences. I imagined this as direct videos with just pure game announcements and trailers and whatnot. If these conferences are truly nothing new and just procedural stuff for the other parties then that's fine. But seems weird to have Reggie AND Miyamoto there for that.... Makes me think it'll be something more.

The press is the public lol

Normal pre-E3 press conferences = Catered to millions of viewers.
See Kinect demonstrations, service announcements (ESPN on Xbox), Usher performing on stage, etc.

Nintendo's 2013 pre-E3 presentation = Catered to demonstrating ALREADY ANNOUNCED games to the press so they can write good editorials / features on it and spread exposure of Nintendo titles. Mario Kart U and 3D Mario U, among others, will be demonstrated and playable for the press.

RagnarokX

Alls I know is there better not be any new news in the conferences. I imagined this as direct videos with just pure game announcements and trailers and whatnot. If these conferences are truly nothing new and just procedural stuff for the other parties then that's fine. But seems weird to have Reggie AND Miyamoto there for that.... Makes me think it'll be something more.

If there is it wouldn't be anything new. Nintendo announces something privately behind closed doors almost every E3. Nintendo will announce what they are ready to announce like always.

Reggie and Miyamoto will be there obviously to interact with the press. The press needs a face to talk to. They will likely announce everything that they will also announce SIMULTANEOUSLY through a conference dedicated to gamers. The difference will be that the press conference will probably be a lot more focused on details that gamers won't care about.

Shahadan

They were perfectly clear in this one though. They said what they were doing from the get go.

EDIT: plus the Wii U confusion wasn't exactly GAF centric. It was the concern about the average joe (a valid concern at that).

To be honest I don't know the wiiu controller confusion was because Nintendo didn't explain it enough or because people are dumber than expected.
Iwata saying "today we'll show you only the controller" and then having people wondering for DAYS if it was the console itself (and I'm not even talking about the months of rumors about a pad with a screen) left me in pure awe.

As for E3, they have the Directs that are aimed at people actually playing games, so press and investors shit like charts or PR drivel can be contained elsewhere and not livestreamed for all I care.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
sounds similar to what people were saying in response to the wii U confusion.

Lets face it, this company doesn't do the best job explaining what they're up to.

They... made this clear. People don't actually read op/source/report and just jump to conclusions based on thread title or the last post they read.

Chaplain

Retro's AAA IP has a good chance of being announced at a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct and demonstrated at Nintendo's pre-E3 presentation.

I believe this would be good as well. Anything new from Nintendo's 1st party studios that isn't a sequel sounds amazing at this point.

Nintendo's 2013 pre-E3 presentation = Catered to demonstrating ALREADY ANNOUNCED games to the press so they can write good editorials / features on it and spread exposure of Nintendo titles. Mario Kart U and 3D Mario U, among others, will be demonstrated and playable for the press.

That's dumb. You have press conferences to do announcements. The press will write their features based on hands-on demos at E3 floor and what I presumed to be backstage press events for them to have exclusive demo time.

Having a press conference where Reggie and Miyamoto play game demos is pointless...

This whole press conference is pointless since Nintendo direct will announce everything that will be announced at this private press conference.

Somnia

There could be things announced/shown NOT for the "core" gamer. Aka: wonderbook at Sony's show last year. It got a lot of press time FOR the press (remember its not just gaming press at E3 its everyone such as CNN, newspapers, etc.) so that way they can get non-gamers attention through larger press avenues.

Doing it this way can keep some of that stuff off the direct and shown right to the press for non-gamers. Also the smaller press event can allow Nintendo to go into more detail for the press on some things we wouldn't care about, which would slow a conference down. its catering to the crowds seperatly is all.

DaBoss

That's dumb. You have press conferences to do announcements. The press will write their features based on hands-on demos at E3 floor and what I presumed to be backstage press events for them to have exclusive demo time.

Having a press conference where Reggie and Miyamoto play game demos is pointless...

This whole press conference is pointless since Nintendo direct will announce everything that will be announced at this private press conference.

You really don't get it and want to be adamant about this don't you?

RagnarokX

Every year Nintendo puts on a conference full of marketing talk and casual games that bore gamers. Then after the conference is over Nintendo puts a TON of core game trailers up on their press website and gamers yell "Why didn't they show THESE during the conference?!"

Now Nintendo is making it so the conference we see will just be dedicated to the games we want to see and people are begging for the boring marketing talk and casual game demonstrations back.

Phazon

Giving the press a heads-up on what they can play and highlight important features of those games before they play it isn't a bad idea. It's always being done on regular game events for the press.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Every year Nintendo puts on a conference full of marketing talk and casual games that bore gamers. Then after the conference is over Nintendo puts a TON of core game trailers up on their press website and gamers yell "Why didn't they show THESE during the conference?!"

Now Nintendo is making it so the conference we see will just be dedicated to the games we want to see and people are begging for the boring marketing talk and casual game demonstrations back.

A lot of people had the immediate impression that Nintendo wasn't going to be at E3 at all after they announced they weren't going to do a big all-encompassing E3 conference. They probably still have that impression!

Meelow

Banned
A lot of people had the immediate impression that Nintendo wasn't going to be at E3 at all after they announced they weren't going to do a big all-encompassing E3 conference. They probably still have that impression!

They are going to be shocked when Nintendo news happens at E3.

DaBoss

I'm pretty sure lots of people, even on GAF, think the press conferences themselves are E3 itself, so saying no press conference would be like not being at E3 for those people.

Here's what I don't get:

Why was there no intermediate step where they tried having a big conference without all the bullshit, and just with the awesome trailers? Why did they skip straight to little announcements scattered throughout? I really hope they have a televised presence, for their sake and my own.

Oh, so now Nintendo comes crawling back to E3 huh

Anyway, this (still) makes sense. Considering that the Wii U is more difficult to communicate and you want to make sure the press accurately report on your stuff in the best light, it's best to actually bring them into a special event and have them play the games. Nintendoland was certainly a lot more fun than anybody gave Nintendo credit for when it was first announced, and a lot of that is because its experience is pretty different in the local asymmetrical format. If Nintendo has more stuff like this it will be better to have the press experience (and enjoy) the game as its meant to be played rather than explaining it to them.

Here's what I don't get:

Why was there no intermediate step where they tried having a big conference without all the bullshit, and just with the awesome trailers? Why did they skip straight to little announcements scattered throughout? I really hope they have a televised presence, for their sake and my own.

Because the audience for E3 conferences are ALL OF THESE:
- Retailers/distributors
- Press
- Fans

Believe it or not, the retailers and distributors are most keenly interested in the sales numbers and general company direction, release schedule, etc. These help them make informed business decisions.
Meanwhile, the press ranges from US Weekly to IGN. That's a broad crowd that ranges from people interested in things I'm sure you'd think are bullshit, like Wii Music or Wii Fit, to those who hate those games and only want to hear about what the next Retro game is.

Cutting those "bullshit" parts out of the conference means keeping pretty much all of the expense, just to serve the fans and part of the press -- which makes absolutely no sense.

So to serve those three crowds better, they'll now do targeted announcements for each of them. Instead of one big show that reaches everyone and pleases one or none, they'll do several smaller ones that will hopefully please each target group.

Meelow

Banned
Oh, so now Nintendo comes crawling back to E3 huh

Anyway, this (still) makes sense. Considering that the Wii U is more difficult to communicate and you want to make sure the press accurately report on your stuff in the best light, it's best to actually bring them into a special event and have them play the games. Nintendoland was certainly a lot more fun than anybody gave Nintendo credit for when it was first announced, and a lot of that is because its experience is pretty different in the local asymmetrical format. If Nintendo has more stuff like this it will be better to have the press experience (and enjoy) the game as its meant to be played rather than explaining it to them.

...Nintendo never left E3.

I hope they announce a schedule. If they want this strategy to be really effective, they need to advertise to the general audience so they know about the events instead of just the more passionate followers.

Even after last year's train wreck, I can't help but feel the Nintendo hype again! It's gonna be a great month for them and the other two companies.

Here's what I don't get:

Because E3 is supposed to be for retailers, partners, and press who use that "bullshit" to make decisions and propagate information. Introducing the public to the whole thing was never the original purpose of E3.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm pretty sure lots of people, even on GAF, think the press conferences themselves are E3 itself, so saying no press conference would be like not being at E3 for those people.

The Press Conferences aren't even technically part of E3.

Because E3 is supposed to be for retailers, partners, and press who use that "bullshit" to make decisions and propagate information. Introducing the public to the whole thing was never the original purpose of E3.

Um, I'm talking about rambling on stage for a half-hour about sales figures, and other horrible uses of stage time.

The press conferences are to introduce products and create hype. Everything else can (and does) take place on the show floor and at screenings/meetings.

You could basically glue all of these NDs together and create a press conference that the audience and fans would love, without all the unnecessary prattle that people seem to think is the reason behind this decision.

What do you mean. He practically had the same role on both. "Senior / General" Producer. Had some terrible ideas for both products if you read the Iwata's Asks. Band Brothers and Rhythm Heaven are both much better internal projects from the other division.

I really wish Nintendo would showcase other internal new IPs at events like E3 rather than show us the next disappointment from Miyamoto.

Like others have echoed, if this event is livestreamed then the public won't tell much of a difference.

I really wish Nintendo would showcase other internal new IP at events like E3 than show us the next disappointment from Miyamoto.

He could always highlight Pikmin 3 again like last year to piss off even more fans bitter about the delay.

RagnarokX

Like others have echoed, if this event is livestreamed then the public won't tell much of a difference.

He could always highlight Pikmin 3 again like last year to piss off even more fans bitter about the delay.

I don't think it will be. There are going to be 3 events occurring simultaneously:

Distributor meeting at the Nokia Theater.
Press conference at Nintendo's booth.
Gamer conference live streamed.

The whole point of breaking up the conference is to cater to each individual audience, so this press conference is likely to be extremely boring since they need to treat the press like they're idiots.

Top Bottom