• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie calls out unsatisfied fans

Alchemy

Pikmin 3 is fine, should be fun. I don't see how people can complain about it, but it definitely isn't a system selling game. So the question of 'What else?' is perfectly valid.

For a new system, people want new Mario experiences. Something like Mario 64, Galaxy, or even 3D Land. NSMBU barely even looks like a sequel let a lone a system selling new Mario experience. So... 'What else?'

I don't think anyone was asking for anything close to Nintendoland and I was shocked that it wasn't a packed in title with the Wii U.

So Reggie, your damage control is sad. What else?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd like to know what Reggie really says. Y'know, the one laced with expletives. The ones he tells his coworkers at the water cooler.

Lijik

I guess this is a good opportunity to post this weird photoshop I saw on tumblr last night
tumblr_m6048iak9C1qcwuqfo1_250.jpg

Maybe if Nintendo had more in the way of third party support there wouldn't be such an over-bearing demand for them to do everything themselves. It goes both ways.

JaxJag

Banned
I don't really understand why when Nintendo was raking in all that money they didn't bother expanding by openning a new studio or two. Seems like it would be the smart thing to do considering the lack of 3rd party support for their past 4 systems.

He's right. Nintendo announced six first-party titles for the launch window (first three to four months on the market) of the Wii U:

- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Pikmin 3
- Nintendo Land
- Project P-100
- Game & Wario
- LEGO City Undercover

While it's fair for people to eagerly await more, to complain and hate on Nintendo for their offerings is absurd, given how strong the launch lineup is in that regard.
Nine games actually. You forgot Wii Fit U, SiNG and Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Its clear to everyone that Reggie and the braintrust in Japan have lost touch with the market and their own fanbase. I think its time for Reggie to go. I'm not doom and gloom on Wii U's prospects like many on GAF and still think it has a decent chance at some success but its obvious Nintendo don't realize where the market is at in the west.

I've been wondering if it is time for Reggie to get kicked to the curb for some time now, but honestly, I don't know who else out there could take on the job at this point. What I would love is if he'd drop the posturing for once, and admit that they thought these games would deliver, but that he hopes that future announcements can really make fans understand why they should be excited about the product.

I just keep thinking back to this story I heard from the E3 show floor where a fairly high-up Nintendo employee was soliciting advice from random friends of his in the industry on how the hell they can convey the idea of the Wii U effectively. Honestly, at this point it feels like if you can't show people a reason why they should be excited for the product, then why the hell are you releasing it in the first place?

I really want the Wii U to succeed, but is it even possible if Nintendo continues along this course of failing to understand both the market, and their own product?

i don't feel sorry for Reggie having the problem of lots of customers that want to buy lots of games from his company, but i do feel sorry for him given that he's really not in a place to greenlight the kind of product first party title i think he wants to be pimping up there on stage.

Nintendo's first party are going to do whatever they want, regardless of what NOA wants. How much input does Reggie really have on which games even get focussed on at E3? His boss seems to run that show. Look at the Nintendo direct videos which were clearly put together by Japan. there's no way it was HIS choice to end on Nintendoland.

yet, it's him that people are saying 'maybe he needs to go' as if the next person in charge of NOA is suddenly going to have control over which games get greenlit and focussed on at E3. it's his job to sell the stuff the main company give him to sell, and i think he does a good job of that. it's his job to try to sell the system to hardcore gamers. it's quite possibly not his fault that Batman was the game they decided to focus on rather than something new like P100.

eh, maybe he has more control at E3 than i'm giving him credit for, but i doubt it. he probably is partly to blame for certain third party titles not being there at launch... but the focus of the E3 conference? unlikely he gets much say there at all. it's a Nintendo show, not a NOA show.

BHZ Mayor

"For years, this community have said, 'Damnit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.' So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, 'So what's more?'

Damn right I'm asking what's more. Where's 3D Mario? It's the only thing these days keeping the nail out of the 3D platformer coffin.

I HATE to agree with Reggie on anything, but he's right.....People fucking BEGGED for Pikmin 3 for years and they finally delivered on it, and no one cares.

"For years, this community have said, 'Damnit Reggie, when you launch, you better launch with a Mario game.' So we launch with a Mario game, and they say, 'So what's more?'

Damn right I'm asking what's more. Where's 3D Mario? It's the only thing these days keeping the nail out of the 3D platformer coffin.

If they would have announced Super Mario Galaxy 3, people would be saying, "Where's the innovation? You've got a new console! Do a completely different style of 3D mario!"

Davey Cakes

The whole "2D Mario isn't what anyone wanted" bullshit is mind boggling.

Nintendo very recently released an EAD-developed near-Galaxy-quality Mario game on the 3DS.

The pattern with the Wii/Wii2 and Mario platformers has been: 3D (Galaxy) -> 2D (NSMB Wii) -> 3D (Galaxy 2) -> 2D (NSMB U)

The pattern with the DS/3DS and Mario platformers has been: 3D (SM64DS) -> 2D (NSMB) -> 3D (SM3DL) -> 2D (NSMB2)

We've gotten plenty of both 3D and 2D Mario for the past several years. Admittedly, Super Mario 64 DS is port with extra features, but even with it not included, it's not like the balance is out of whack with Mario games. And we know that a new 3D Mario will probably come next after NSMB U anyway.

Besides, while the NSMB series isn't the most innovative thing ever, it has served as an effective vehicle for some gameplay experiments. Barring NSMB DS, the Wii game offered 4-player simultaneous play, which is actually a really awesome feature and a new experience. NSMB2 is putting the emphasis on collecting coins. NSMB U serves as a demonstration of how the Wii U's Gamepad can be used, especially in terms of adding a fifth player.

Also, with the 3D games, obviously Galaxy was amazing because it was both fresh and familiar, with truly inspired game design. Galaxy 2 was the same thing, but tweaked to perfection, so no complaining there. And 3D Land was an interesting experiment in its own way, since it kind of combined 3D and 2D Mario philosophies.

Point is, people lose sight of the kind of variety that these games have provided. Too much focus merely on the superficial.

There's always someone who will want something else or something more, though. That much is obvious.

jett

D-Member
I don't know if Reggie really is that deluded or if he's just playing the PR mouthpiece part. I can't stand this guy, every time I see him speak he seems fake as fuck.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You know exactly what he means. the 2d games are refried cut and paste jobs, the majority want an actual Mario entry with a story plot etc, NOT a party game, Reggie has nerve acting like he doesn't know the difference.

What a silly post. The majority want 2D NSMB as shown by the sales figures that dwarf those of the 3D games. Nobody wants a 3D Mario platformer with a deep story.

And NSMB a party game? lol

AzaK

Don't bite guys, he's trolling. No way in a million years could he think that E3 was good for the fans.

It wasn't that we wanted more, it's just that we wanted something interesting and unexpected.

Wiz

He's right though. The gaming community is very hard to please. They always want something more than what they get.

I don't really understand why when Nintendo was raking in all that money they didn't bother expanding by openning a new studio or two. Seems like it would be the smart thing to do considering the lack of 3rd party support for their past 4 systems.
They did expand. They bought Monolith Soft, started Project Sora, reformed NdCube and grew EAD, EAD Tokyo, Retro Studios and Monolith Soft enough to include new teams.

Finally agree w/ Reggie.

Majority of gamers are incredibly jaded/pessimistic/entitled/elitist monkies.

Nobody on Neogaf though, I love everyone here.

God what a scary thought. I just realized that if it wasn't for Galaxy 1&2 or 3D land, the 3D platformer genre would otherwise be dead.

Don't bite guys, he's trolling. No way in a million years could he think that E3 was good for the fans.

It wasn't that we wanted more, it's just that we wanted something interesting and unexpected.

I don't know about you, but I sure as shit didn't expect Nintendoland was gonna be the main showcase for the Wii-U this year.

I definitely went, "Well, that's certainly unique!"

Danielsan

He's not clueless, he's just trying to play us all for dumb.

Like he doesn't know what people want is SMG U not NSMB U
Hell people don't even necessarily want SMG U. A new console used to mean a brand new take on Mario. Instead what we're getting now is rehashes and minor "innovations" within sequels that border on being expansion packs.

You know what I mean, despite my hyperbole. When people dream about a next-gen Mario game they aren't thinking about the 2D versions.
I really don't. Like I said, I generally don't care for 3D Mario. I'm super pumped about this and plan to buy a Wii U for it.

Hell people don't even necessarily want SMG U. A new console used to mean a brand new take on Mario. Instead what we're getting now is rehashes and minor "innovations" within sequels that border on being expansion packs.

Mario 3D land is the best 3D Mario game I have played. it is not a direct sequel to anything. it is a brand new take on Mario. i say booooo to you sir. boooooo.

Amagon

• 2D Mario doesn't count as a Mario game
  • The Treehouse people should have warned Reggie. Do they share our tastes?
  • People wanted to see a game built around an innovative use of the controller.
  • Pikmin is not the fully-realized Nintendo HD game people were hoping for.
  • Besides Pikmin 3, all the games were geared towards casual & light gaming
Holy shit dude, you're alive!

Lets give Reggie a break. There's no way they will be able to satisfy the majority of the GAF community. How many of us actually buyer and play the games featured in these threads? Lol

People wanted a truly new Pikmin that wouldn't look exactly like the last two. People wanted a 3D Mario game to take full advantage of the Wii U's graphical hardware. Is it so hard to understand Reggie?

Danielsan

Mario 3D land is the best 3D Mario game I have played. it is not a direct sequel to anything. it is a brand new take on Mario. i say booooo to you sir. boooooo.
Aesthetically it's level design is extremely reminiscent of the Galaxy games. Which I loved, but got tired of halfway through the second game. I haven't played 3D land by the way, as I don't own a 3DS.

Gartooth

So I'm assuming that GAF only hates the New Super Mario Bros. series because they look the same, sound the same, and play the same as all the previous NSMB games, and with little innovation.

At least I hope that's what it is, instead of hating 2D Mario as a whole. (because I would be incredibly happy if they did a new 2D Mario with a brand new look, feel, and way to play. Essentially a leap similar to SMB -> SMB3 or SMB3 -> SMW)

New Super Mario Bros U looks like more of the same, and doesn't show the system well.
At least Rayman Legends actually showed how the tablet could be used in game play.

If they're going to do more 2.5D games, why not explore a Zelda, Kid Icarus, or Metroid in that style? Why does it have to be Mario until we all get sick of it? It's been a long time since Nintendo made Zelda 2 and Kid Icarus, I would be more than happy to have that instead of yet another Mario.

GhaleonQ

other than Nintendo Land, he's not even 1% wrong.

Geez, is someone more right-wing than me here? You don't find the euphemism, "share information," horrendous, especially since it's coming from the king of opacity? What Brain Age-like curiosity is in their launch lineup? Why aren't you confused by Fils-Aime equating "exciting ideas" with "general audience titles" rather than "new gamer-centric franchises?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with, well, the IDEAS of all of the announced WiiU games (and would probably be too busy awaiting Luigi's Mansion and Paper Mario to care if I wasn't), but the man's cracked under the pressure of poor 3rd party support/poor support for 3rd parties. People tell Sony Japan, "It can be done when it's done." Nintendo shouldn't get that.

He's right though, gamers always want more. lol

I hate this mentality so much. That it's somehow not ok to want more from a business transaction.

Why the fuck is it a bad thing to demand progress, innovation and more quality from a corporation that exists to make money from you?

It's a hybrid system. We aren't at their fucking mercy. We don't owe them shit. They owe us products worth buying because they don't EXIST without our support.

Take the Operation Rainfall games for example:

Person A says: Oh well. They chose not to bring it here. Guess I should be grateful that I have these other neat Wii games to play...

Person B says: Wait. Why don't we get this? We will give you money to buy this game. Look! Here is a giant list who are willing to line your coffers with cash if you bring it over here. We're going to keep bringing it up and keep telling you what your consumers (your LIFELINE) want.

Thanks to people like Person B games like Xenoblade make it to the US. Person A in turn gets to reap the efforts of Person B while reprimanding them for being "entitled".

Why anyone lives with a mentality where they accept the status quo just makes no sense to me. Why do you not want things to get better? It's not like you're greedily asking for free stuff. You're demanding more quality products from a multimillion dollar company which you will purchase from them.

I sympathise with him here. Some people have done nothing but whinge since E3.

That's what happens when you let people speculate a full year over why you won't show or talk about your console or its games. They allowed those expectations to build up by holding everything back. People were naturally going to expect big things like Retro's game or possibly a first look at a 3D Mario. Instead they got stuff that Nintendo already confirmed would be there (2D Mario and Pikmin 3) and Nintendo Land.

Top Bottom