• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime on the Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Struggle Like Wii U Did

bachikarn

Let's see if having all of Nintendo's studios focusing on one platform really helps their software output.

I think part of the reason it takes Nintendo so long to release new games is that most sequels have to have a new gimmick about them. They can't just make a straight up sequel, so they waste a lot of time experimenting with new ideas till they come up with a new gimmick. Maybe Splatoon 2 is showing that will no longer be the case and they will pump out sequels to games faster (for better or for worse).

Seloth

Banned
Why are people just making lists with Nintendo first party games included?

I thought everyone wanted third party support - yet no one seems to include those games in their lists.. While the lack of first party games per month is a huge downside (not that I realistically expect them to be pumping these out week after week) the lack of software might give titles like Stardew Valley the chance to reach a wider audience.

jackal27

Banned
I think that drought statement is your answer to the weak launch. No way they'd launch something like Zelda+Mario in the same month.

The line up is weak but let's not pretend the PS4 or the XB1 had an amazing first year of games.

Specially if we are only considering the 1st party titles like people are doing with nintendo here.

We just had an event that was supposed to be the big rollout. I'm not banking on anything.

We had an event where the rolled out hardware and outlined software. The software outline basically runs until E3. I don't think that was a coincidence.

I think Nintendo wanted to show enough to get early sales and looking at their pre order performance, I would say they did that.

Well...

This. It doesn't have to be 24 games or w/e number you have to pull, but how about at least more than there are months in a year? If they can't rely on third party support they need to bolster the library with their own games. Between 3DS and Wii U (or DS and Wii) they were easily doing that. Now suddenly they can't? It's just weird and unbelievable.

well so far as long as everything goes well there is currently 9 Nintendo published switch games announced then we have E3 in june which wouldnt surprise me if we get a couple more announcements for games releasing in the second half of the year into the holidays and there is always a chance of nintendo directs to announce smaller eshop games to help fill the gap.

TDLink

I thought everyone wanted third party support - yet no one seems to include those games in their lists.. While the lack of first party games per month is a huge downside (not that I realistically expect them to be pumping these out week after week) the lack of software might give titles like Stardew Valley the chance to reach a wider audience.

We do want third party support. What they've announced is mostly a smattering of indie games or late ports though. DQ11 is the only big third party game announced and it's not even announced yet for outside of Japan.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Super Bomberman R is not what I call good third party support, and almost all of the third party offerings are these types of smaller projects that would bolster a good third party lineup (if it actually existed).

Iceman

Anecdotal: As a person who has never purchased, or even possessed, a Nintendo console (and I started with the Commodore 64 and Atari 2600), they almost had me pre-ordering two Switches at the very beginning of their announcement conference. By the end of the conference though I was convinced that I could wait until Christmas (or whenever Mario drops). For someone like me, the gap between Zelda and Mario is the Sahara desert.

Seloth

Banned
We do want third party support. What they've announced is mostly a smattering of indie games or late ports though. DQ11 is the only big third party game announced and it's not even announced yet for outside of Japan.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Super Bomberman R is not what I call good third party support, and almost all of the third party offerings are these types of smaller projects that would bolster a good third party lineup (if it actually existed).

TIL Minecraft is small

How the fuck are people saying the message on what it is being clear? People here still do not know if it is supposed to be judged as a handheld you can hook up to your TV or a console with limited playtime disconnected. Tge definition seems to vary depending on tge criticism levelled against the Switch.

Skyrim. And...Umm. Ubisoft minigame carnival just dance 67

Oh, come one. It's not quite that bad. Bomberman, Minecraft, Redout, some Dragon Quest stuff, presumably Monster Hunter, some SEGA stuff...

It's still going to look thin compared to the PS4 or XB1, but if it looks like it should - like the combined libraries of the Wii U and 3DS - it should be decent. Keyword: should.

expecting nintendo to release 24 big games a year is just crazy talk Even if nintendo did that we would have 1 good year and then a very shitty next year which has happened before. 2007-2008 was just that.

No. See my earlier post. Nintendo averaged about 24 games per year over the life of the Wii U and 3DS (through the end of 2016). Anything less than 2 Switch games per month is a dropoff from past output, and completely unacceptable. Nintendo has always been one of the most prolific publishers - if not the most. It's only because they so often are in the position of supporting 2 systems almost on their own, that they have a reputation for having a low output.

I didn't say "big" games, though. Some are small. That doesn't mean they don't count. Many small games have great replay value.

Cool Reggie, just sort out that price and the network stuff and we're golden.

That's what is so frustrating right now. They're so close to just nailing it.

2783106-5065927594-spide.gif

Yeah. In addition to expecting their online services to not have advanced much, I'm definitely worried about how much they are going to charge for online, even more so since I already pay for one service. I expect I'll be mainly playing single-player games which is basically what I play anyway though at least so it probably won't effect me as much as many others.

TDLink

TIL Minecraft is small
Uh...
Everyone has Minecraft already. It's like advertising you have NES Super Mario Bros.

I think Minecraft is something that's kind of just expected at this point.

What these guys said. That qualifies as a late port too. No one is buying Switch for Minecraft. It's on literally everything.

We all know strong third party support would mean the system getting games like:

• Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Destiny
  • Tom Clancy stuff
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Final Fantasy 15 or World Of
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Tekken 7
  • Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite
  • Dark Souls
  • Nioh
  • Nier 2
  • Persona 5
  • Monster Hunter
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Bethesda's newer than 6 years old games

None of this stuff is announced for Switch at this point.

Mario007

The line up is weak but let's not pretend the PS4 or the XB1 had an amazing first year of games.

Specially if we are only considering the 1st party titles like people are doing with nintendo here.
In the first year for ps4 and xbox one we had tittanfall, destiny and watch dogs releasing. Say what you want about their quality but these were the best selling new IPs period. It's quite clear people were interested in the software.

Uh...

What these guys said. That qualifies as a late port too. No one is buying Switch for Minecraft. It's on literally everything.

We all know strong third party support would mean the system getting games like:

• Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Destiny
  • Tom Clancy stuff
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Tekken 7
  • Dark Souls
  • Nioh
  • Nier 2
  • Persona 5
  • Monster Hunter
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • The Witcher 3

I don't totally agree with all of this list. It's definitely a good list to diversify and fill out the lineup with some nicher stuff though. I think the lack of shooters and sports games hurts the casual market the most. Battlefront is a good pick, probably COD, FIFA, NBA and Madden are the bigger needs.

jerry5278

Neo Member
March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.

Skyrim remaster slated for September, i believe.

TDLink

I don't totally agree with all of this list. It's definitely a good list to diversify and fill out the lineup with some nicher stuff though. I think the lack of shooters and sports games hurts the casual market the most. Battlefront is a good pick, probably COD, FIFA, NBA and Madden are the bigger needs.

I excluded COD, FIFA, NBA, and Madden because I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that those will actually show up. FIFA and NBA are already confirmed too.

psyfi

Banned

I thought everyone wanted third party support - yet no one seems to include those games in their lists.
I gave up on solid third party support on Nintendo consoles a long time ago. I look at Nintendo consoles as companion systems, but also I just really love Nintendo games, and buying the hardware is worth it to me. The Wii U is the only Nintendo hardware I've ever second guessed buying though, tbh.

Seloth

Banned
Uh...

• Mass Effect Andromeda
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Destiny
  • Tom Clancy stuff
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Kingdom Hearts 3
  • Tekken 7
  • Dark Souls
  • Nioh
  • Nier 2
  • Persona 5
  • Monster Hunter
  • Ni No Kuni 2
  • The Witcher 3

That's literally how third party games work(bold)..

Out of that list you might be lucky with Monster Hunter but I think going in expecting any of the others is way out of touch. Despite the spin they put on it, this is still a Nintendo console and I haven't heard any developers talking about how they've turned a new leaf in regard to supporting third parties - it's usually their way or the highway, and the highway usually wins.

I think it's quite obvious the vast majority of their third party support will be independent developers.

phanphare

Banned
How the fuck are people saying the message on what it is being clear? People here still do not know if it is supposed to be judged as a handheld you can hook up to your TV or a console with limited playtime disconnected. Tge definition seems to vary depending on tge criticism levelled against the Switch.

it's a video game console that you can play on your tv or take with you and play on the go

that part of the message is crystal clear and is conveyed within seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atdkuP492Y8

RedSwirl

I guess there's a chance the Switch might have better messaging/awareness than the Wii U did and get more sales as a family console that way (depending on how/if Nintendo follows up 1, 2, Switch). But I still think the main way the Switch does better than the Wii U is by inheriting the 3DS's audience and 3rd party support, thus moving the strength of Nintendo's handhelds to its console.

As far back as the Gamecube days I remember people suggesting Nintendo just give up on consoles and move to handhelds. It's basically doing that with the Switch, but giving its handheld an HDMI connection.

jerry5278

Neo Member

Out of that list you might be lucky with Monster Hunter but I think going in expecting any of the others is way out of touch. Despite the spin they put on it, this is still a Nintendo console and I haven't heard any developers talking about how they've turned a new leaf in regard to supporting third parties - it's usually their way or the highway, and the highway usually wins.

I think it's quite obvious the vast majority of their third party support will be independent developers.

I dont really mind that overall. A lot of indie developers have made some extremely compelling and creative games. They are willing to take more of a risk creatively, and we win as a result

I excluded COD, FIFA, NBA, and Madden because I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that those will actually show up. FIFA and NBA are already confirmed too.
I'm concerned about that PS3/360 rumor. Hope it doesn't turn out to be true and the game isn't gimped.

Can people stop doing this? These month lists with 1 game per month? Great, the system has at least 1 game per month (except for the two it doesn't). But is that good? Because I don't think it is. That's like what should be the bare minimum. If anything that just makes it look worse.
???

It's just for fun, dude. Chill.

If Xenoblade 2 is Xenoblade 2 then what was Xeboblade Chronicles X?

What's Xenoblade X?

we don't talk about Xenoblade X

No one is buying Switch for Minecraft. It's on literally everything.

Of course not. But some people will buy Minecraft for the Switch. Most games are not system sellers.

And they never will be. Nintendo all but guaranteed minimal cross-platform PS4/XB1 games on the Switch with its specs and different architecture. That doesn't mean it can't have healthy 3rd party support, though. It would just be support more along the lines of what the 3DS received.

It's all too easy to see that tanking, though. I find it very easy to see publishers doing this:

1. Make 3DS scale game (budget-wise)
2. Release it on the Switch
3. Charge $60
4. Be disappointed with sales
5. Abandon the Switch

Once again, I hope I'm wrong. But where are the small scale, $30 games? The 3DS was much better supported by 3rd parties than the Wii U. We've not seen much to indicate they've moved over to the Switch yet.

aadiboy

The message is clearer, which is good, but it seems to have the same drip feed problem of games that the Wii U had. Zelda at launch is good, but like, there's months until the next big game after that.

TDLink

Is this not a problem though? When people say they want strong third party support, they mean they want some of these games. The AAA games. It shouldn't be too much to ask for. Several of these developers even have strong relationships with Nintendo.

Trying to prop up Bomberman R or Ultra Street Fighter 2 (and other similar titles that have been announced) as good third party support instead is laughable. They'll probably be good but they also won't help the library stand out and give people those bigger games they want to play.

With that in mind, the majority of the system's install base is going to be relying on Nintendo's first party output, and one game a month in a genre or franchise they might not enjoy is not enough.

Of course not. But some people will buy Minecraft for the Switch. Most games are not system sellers.

I'm aware of that. Minecraft is good to have on the system, I'm not saying it isn't. But it's not enough for third party support. People want the AAA games.

And they never will be. Nintendo all but guaranteed minimal cross-platform PS4/XB1 games on the Switch with its specs and different architecture. That doesn't mean it can't have healthy 3rd party support, though. It would just be support more along the lines of what the 3DS received.

It's all too easy to see that tanking, though. I find it very easy to see publishers doing this:

1. Make 3DS scale game (budget-wise)
2. Release it on the Switch
3. Charge $60
4. Be disappointed with sales
5. Abandon the Switch

Once again, I hope I'm wrong. But where are the small scale, $30 games? The 3DS was much better supported by 3rd parties than the Wii U. We've not seen much to indicate they've moved over to the Switch yet.

See this is a wrong line of thinking imo. Why never? Several of those games have PS3 versions, a system that is weaker than the Switch by quite a bit. Others are on Unreal engine, which is extremely scaleable and we know Switch supports. It's not like it's impossible for Switch to get versions of some of these games.

And right now even that traditional 3DS third party support doesn't seem to be there outside of SMT.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The message is clearer, which is good, but it seems to have the same drip feed problem of games that the Wii U had. Zelda at launch is good, but like, there's months until the next big game after that.
Not really and this is first party strictly speaking but they have zelda then, MK8 DX, then arms, splatoon (likely June/July) e3 (and Nintendo has released games with a short turn around time after the convention which could cover ground until November), and xenoblade (?). Basically they only gave us their launch window software line up and said nothing beyond that. Like xenoblade they dangled Mario in front of people just to let them know it existed. At this point there's no reason to believe/disbelieve Reggie other than the typical we're not going to have droughts PR talk. I'd say there's reason to complain after e3 if they don't put out though.

StereoVsn

Reggie has restated the "no large gaps" policy so many times that I actually believe him. Would be pretty cool if they could really sustain a high quality game launch every month and a half or so

Kart, Splatoon 2, and Arms don't do it for you? Plus, I'm sure there are other games that have yet to be revealed.
MP Wii-U port, MP Wii-U port both at cost of a new game (yes, Satoon is enhanced), too expensive novelty MP game.

One big reason I am not buying the Switch (and just sold my WiiU with most of its games) for a while is that yeah, it doesn't have compelling games beside Zelda till Mario hits. I don't believe Xenoblade 2 will release in the West in 2017 and even then it looks like a different turn from previous games.

DQH 1 I have on my PS4 along with a few other Musou games so FE Musou is not compelling. If I were to get DQH 2 it would be on a PS4 also most likely. Skyrim I have on my PC (and could buy cheap on next sale for PS4 if I wanted console).

So yeah, software is sparse till 2018, for me at least, and probably for a lot of others who own Xbone/PS4 and/or PC.

Sendou

Do people think they have announced everything they have to release for this year? We're only 18 days into the year and Nintendo has had some very short announcement to release cycles recently. Would make sense to me if they only focused a handful of titles to avoid some smaller (but interesting) getting overshadowed. Then we have stuff like Pokémon Stars where they can have any kind of reveal to release cycle they want and it will still sell loads and be an extremely important release. I'm not worried about the games in the slightest. AAA 3rd party will be absent but that's what you get for buying a Nintendo console.

I think the message is a lot more clear than Wii U too. First of all they abandoned Wii branding which is important. The ads shown so far are also very clear about how you can play console grade releases (like Zelda) and then take it off the dock and instantly continue. Simple stuff.

Seloth

Banned
Is this not a problem though?

I don't really see it as a problem. As far as third party games go I want games that I can take on the go. Assassins Creed, Destiny, Witcher etc, they are going to be hell on the small screen. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't complain if they did come. They just won't play well to the consoles strength.

The only thing the Switch has over PS4/XB1 is that you can take it on the go. These huge 3rd party games just won't work well with that, so if I can't really use them in portable mode I'm way more likely to buy them on a different platform with the added advantage of looking much prettier.

The final thing with always online games like Destiny(I am a big Destiny fan since the beta btw) etc coming to Switch is the always online also works against what to me is the Switch's core feature (portability). I know you don't have to play it on the go and there are always other games you can play while commuting. I just see it as another negative that will add to the growing pile.

Do people think they have announced everything they have to release for this year?

Unless they are incredibly stupid, then yes. They had the worlds eyes on them and them alone for the Switch presentation - it would have been the best time to announce anything in the pipeline.

ryseing

What do you guys think is a reasonable release schedule for Switch (First Party) given that they can pretty much focus on one device - a game a month?

This is the million dollar question, quite literally.

I would be happy with a game a month + more in the fall window. So ~15 retail releases a year + smaller eShop stuff.

I love it when Nintendo cite that they have all this feedback of the upcoming product, how positive everything is, how they monitor social media and read the Internet to gather insight but when they have shortages he says: "wow we underestimated the demand, we had no idea people wanted this so much"

Do people think they have announced everything they have to release for this year? We're only 18 days into the year and Nintendo has had some very short announcement to release cycles recently. Would make sense to me if they only focused a handful of titles to avoid some smaller (but interesting) getting overshadowed. Then we have stuff like Pokémon Stars where they can have any kind of reveal to release cycle they want and it will still sell loads and be an extremely important release. I'm not worried about the games in the slightest. AAA 3rd party will be absent but that's what you get for buying a Nintendo console.

I think the message is a lot more clear than Wii U too. First of all they abandoned Wii branding which is important. The ads shown so far are also very clear about how you can play console grade releases (like Zelda) and then take it off the dock and instantly continue. Simple stuff.

WiiU was a 4 year long drought. The "Wait for E3"-game is over. When Nintendo shows nothing, there most likely is nothing. A supposed combined effort of their handheld- and console efforts is two months away. Yet they barely have like two or three big new productions and 3rd parties being all tell no show all over again. Sorry, why exactly does Nintendo deserve trust after last generation? This was their chance to deliver and they didn't.

Sendou

I don't believe Nintendo that Mario will launch this year. I hope I'm wrong.

I think Pokémon and Mario double punch is what they want to go with but I guess we'll see. Supposedly Mario is ready so if it's going to miss the holidays I don't know why that could be.

Top Bottom