• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime on the Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Struggle Like Wii U Did

Nikodemos

"Wii U will go down as having fantastic content--the issue was as you look at the reality of exactly when the games were launched, there were large gaps in between," he said.
Uhh, not trying to go all console warrior here (in fact I own neither), but didn't the Wii U fare worst of all the 5 current consoles in the past couple years, Metacritic-wise?

udivision

Not just that. It looks small in scale and production, yet it costs full RRP.

It will be a tough sell, I think.

I want to contest this, but if Nintendo didn't give people the impression that there was more to the game (characters, stages, etc...) then that's there problem. The literally could say "we'll be showing off more characters, stages, and gameplay modes before launch" and that would be enough... I think.

Dabanton

I agree that this time they manage to sell/show a NEW console.

The problem is that for Nintendo giving Zelda at launch (and no other AAA game plus some crap games) they think is enough until the next big game release. This is not the N64 era, people need more games. Specially if you can get a PS4 for the same price with a ton of games to play.

For all of Nintendo's undeniable first party quality the machine will never have any substantial third party support.

I mean the fact their talking up Skyrim is actually embarrassing. Not that the game is rubbish but it's an old game that yes while nice to have should not be anywhere near your launch material, I mean if this is the level of support owners can expect off third parties than lol

jmizzal

the Splatoon shit is so annoying lol

I guess it should be expected though considering some of the shit I read in regards to the first one post-E3 reveal and pre-launch

Lol yea I remember the first Splatoon was suppose to sale worst then The Wonderful 101 according to some people on here lol

eh, I think both are right in regards to Splatoon. To me it's Splatoon 1.5
Better graphics, and new maps is all I see. maybe a couple new weapons. Could have easily just been some DLC for the original splatoon imo

How can you say that when we barley seen much of it? When we first say the first Splatoon all we say was the basic multiplayer parts.

Splatoon 2 already has better graphics, new maps, new weapon mechanics, will have real offline multiplayer, plus new story mode, and suppose to have Octilings playable.

That sounds like a part 2 to me

Sometimes I read these threads and I wonder where people get the time and money to play all the games they supposedly want?

I have probably never bought more than a dozen games a year (1 a month average) in my life.

Already I'm looking at:

March: Bomberman with the console, Zelda end of month on payday.

April: Mario Kart

May - August: Arms, Splatoon 2, Puyo Puyo Tetris (more for my wife as she likes puzzle games) I'll probably get a couple of EShop / VC games as well over the summer.

September: Skyrim (I've not played it before)

Then we are probably close to Mario and possibly Pokemon...

I'm happy with that, think it will keep me entertained nicely. I was a little disappointed when I watched the conference, before I saw that Bomberman and Arms would be fun multiplayer games I can play with my wife. Now I've decided I want those, the first few months seem decent.

I want to contest this, but if Nintendo didn't give people the impression that there was more to the game (characters, stages, etc...) then that's there problem. The literally could say "we'll be showing off more characters, stages, and gameplay modes before launch" and that would be enough... I think.

To be fair, they did kind of say this. That said, I just listened to the Waypoint podcast episode where they talked about their Switch hands on and both Austin and Danielle who played Arms seemed surprised it's being listed at $60. So yeah, I don't think they've sufficiently communicated how much content we can expect.

Kind of funny he says they have done a better job communicating what it is.

We are weeks away from launch and don't know anything substantial about Online, Virtual Console, the OS and its services, ...

March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.
How I look at it right now:
May: ARMS
June: Splatoon 2
September: Fire Emblem Warriors
October: Pokemon
November: Smash/Super Mario Odyssey
December: Xenoblade 2

NoA doesn't usually release anything in August but I'm sure there's stuff that they haven't announced that could be out in the summer.

Alebrije

For all of Nintendo's undeniable first party quality the machine will never have any substantial third party support.

I mean the fact their talking up Skyrim is actually embarrassing. Not that the game is rubbish but it's an old game that yes while nice to have should not be anywhere near your launch material, I mean if this is the level of support owners can expect off third parties than lol

This gives me hope for a Fallout New Vegas port. Ports from good old games are welcome. But being real yep not getting Dishonored 2 or Watchdogs 2 on Switch just tell you what kind of support Switch will have.

Let's hope they saved surprises for E3.

Rival

Gold Member
Because it shares some extremely basic mechanics with Wii Boxing, and thus it must be written off as an overpriced party game.

I must be out of touch because I can't for the life of me understand why anyone thinks Arms looks like it would be fun for more than 5 minutes.

Crazyorloco

That's definitely a fair point to make, and I do think that Nintendo should have tried to nab some kind of FPS port to launch with the system. Given the specs, though, who knows if that was even feasible for any of the usual suspects to be able to get one running stable enough to make the launch in time.

If it was up to me, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Blizzard a dev kit to get Overwatch on day 1, since that's the kind of game that would really entice Nintendo fans and draw some attention to have a real portable version of the game out there. But that's just me!

Yeah Overwatch would've been amazing to have on the system...and a portable version. That's perfect. I get a feeling Blizzard does have something for the Switch based on their twitter. We'll see.

I mean, I agree with you for the most part. But I do have to say being able to play Skyrim on a handheld/tablet is pretty fuckin cool. I'll pick it up when the price tanks just to have on family or work trips. But, as far as it being pushed as a potential system seller / proof the Switch "now has 3rd party support"...yeah, that's definitely a stretch. I'm not sure how many people will care about "mobile Skyrim" like I do.

How about we come back this time next year with all the release dates and see exactly this wealth of content that was actually released. It's easy to make projections, it's a whole other matter of when games get shipped.

KORNdoggy

I mean, I agree with you for the most part. But I do have to say being able to play Skyrim on a handheld/tablet is pretty fuckin cool. I'll pick it up when the price tanks just to have on family or work trips. But, as far as it being pushed as a potential system seller / proof the Switch "now has 3rd party support"...yeah, that's definitely a stretch. I'm not sure how many people will care about "mobile Skyrim" like I do.

I wouldn't mind if it was budget price (do we even know if its the remastered version or not?) but $60 is pushing it.

DMONKUMA

How about we come back this time next year with all the release dates and see exactly this wealth of content that was actually released. It's easy to make projections, it's a whole other matter of when games get shipped.

Reggie actually said something exactly like this recently, but it involved Mother 3 and Metroid.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
well, he's right that it's clearer on what the thing is. Wii U never recovered from people thinking it was a Wii add-on and I doubt Switch will have that issue.
While that's true I really think Nintendo is gonna have issues with ppl looking at it as a handheld first.

His first reason isn't so clear IMO.

And that's no problem because it will sell well anyway.

KingBroly

Banned

NoA doesn't usually release anything in August but I'm sure there's stuff that they haven't announced that could be out in the summer.

Nothing in June, Splatoon 2 in August. FE Warriors seems a ways away at this point, though.

Zen Aku

My only mistake was engaging you in the first place since your only examples of a confusing message apparently center around the finer details of an optional accessory.

They explained to pay for online without actually disclosing what the price will be. They told us we'll be getting an NES/SNES but doesn't make it clear to how long we have access to it.

But yeah, they're crystal clear.

Not the only example, just one that came to my head first. But man this is getting pretty embarrassing for you.
2783106-5065927594-spide.gif
I'm getting a ton of millage out of this gif today.

The Boat

While that's true I really think Nintendo is gonna have issues with ppl looking at it as a handheld first.

His first reason isn't so clear IMO.

And that's no problem because it will sell well anyway.

This handheld first/console first is something only people in message boards care about. Regular people see a thingie where they can play on the TV and on the go and that's it.

The Switch is going to end up just like the Wii U. A device that's only good for playing Mario and Zelda titles will never be enough to win the market.

Tobor

That's definitely a fair point to make, and I do think that Nintendo should have tried to nab some kind of FPS port to launch with the system. Given the specs, though, who knows if that was even feasible for any of the usual suspects to be able to get one running stable enough to make the launch in time.

If it was up to me, I would have moved heaven and earth to get Blizzard a dev kit to get Overwatch on day 1, since that's the kind of game that would really entice Nintendo fans and draw some attention to have a real portable version of the game out there. But that's just me!

Yep, Overwatch, or Destiny, or something along those lines would have gone a long way.

It's weird, the more I think about that reveal trailer vs. the January conference, it's like two different systems.

Servbot24

Banned
This must be at least the 4th time Nintendo has promised us no droughts for a new console. Every time I'm gullible and believe them. This I'll allow them to prove that to me first before I buy their console.

Air

Banned
Yep, Overwatch, or Destiny, or something along those lines would have gone a long way.

It's weird, the more I think about that reveal trailer vs. the January conference, it's like two different systems.

While I think the conference was definitely a misstep, I don't think it messed with any of the initial branding. Highlighting the features, doesn't detract from the streamlined message of the first video.

Now how they follow that up is a different story

People saying there's no drought when after the june game comes out there's nothing between then til mario in winter. there will be 3-4 months where the switch won't have a big title out.

well Reggie is PR so he'll say anything. Sell ice to an eskimo.

Alebrije

More like this :

March :Zelda
April : Mario K 8 deluxe delayed to Holidays (please understand )
June : Splatoon 2 delayed to January 2017 (please understand ) instead ARMS
July : Minecraft
August : Pikmin 4
September : nothing
Octuber : it's fukingnothing.gif
November : super Mario Odyssey delayed ( A delayed game is eventually good but a rushed game is forever bad, please understand ) no new release date.
December : Skyrim

Griss

On the first point, absolutely. The marketing for this thing has been clear as day (even though I would have reversed it and sold it as a multiplayer enabled handheld you can hook up to the TV).

The second point, however... you're gonna have to prove it.

Imaginary release lineups that have each month filled with "realistic" predictions. Boy that sure never backfired on WiiU (...except pretty much every year turned into drought land despite "safe" predictions based on empty promises).

NimbusD

Inability to clearly communicated what was wrong with the Wii u does not inspire confidence.

Not does the fact that the switch ISNT clear and simple inspire it either. They throw on the joy cons and give us 5 different control options right out the gate. It's gonna be Wii u all over again where everything except the standard controls are forgotten about in a year and we're left with a console that's too expensive to bring down to a reasonable price for what it is.

emb

You say that like it's a bad thing. Nintendo portables are market leaders.
I think it's really what they need to go for, yeah. Switch has the opportunity to fill a slightly lower end niche that the PS4 and XO go beyond, and the portable niche those can't do. If Nintendo can leverage that and get the (largely Japanese) support that their handhelds do, it could end up putting them in a good situation.

Who's to say though. Depends on whether devs think of Switch as a valid new portable system, or if they just all flock to mobile and act like handhelds are dead.

I'd wager there's an Animal Crossing game coming at some point to tie-in with the mobile game. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Pikmin game later this year also.

What do you guys think is a reasonable release schedule for Switch (First Party) given that they can pretty much focus on one device - a game a month?

Zakkath

The main problem isn't the game lineup, although it is clear the console lacks real 3rd-party support. The main issue is that the console and all of its accessories are fucking overpriced. The Switch is now launching 3 years late in this generation with less powerful hardware and is being sold at the same price than the competition which include a triple-A game. Zelda looks really good, but is that enough to convince non-hardcore Nintendo fans to jump in ? I don't think it is honestly. Also, the console should have been presented as a handheld system that you can hook-up to your TV when you're home instead of the other way around. Still, the price would have remained an issue.

Fox Mulder

People saying there's no drought when after the june game comes out there's nothing between then til mario in winter. there will be 3-4 months where the switch won't have a big title out.

well Reggie is PR so he'll say anything. Sell ice to an eskimo.

It's another Nintendo console launch. The same droughts and the same promises. Diehards and scalpers will make it sell out initially, but why would anyone else care until at least the holidays.

the1npc

Imaginary release lineups that have each month filled with "realistic" predictions. Boy did that sure never backfire on WiiU.

Yep I keep seeing a post with persona 5 on there....is any of this confirmed or is it tales from gafs ass?

Also I agree ARMS is looking over priced. People need to understand not everywhere is america. ARMS is $80 + tax in Canada and the system is $400 + tax.

The value does not seem to be there

Top Bottom