• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie:Making politicl statemnts are for other people todo, we want people tohave fun

DNAbro

If children enjoy it then it is childish fun. That doesn't mean adults can't also have fun with it. I just desire more than 'fun'.

What Nintendo game has any sort of strong philosophical message or output?

But political messages and "childish fun" don't have to be separate? Look at recent Disney movies.

Also Mother series.

Unknown?

James Brown songs made political statements. They also made people smile and have fun. Not sure why Nintendo games can't do both too.
It's not worth it. Most people on GAF can't even respect someone else's opinion on politics, if you have differing views you get names thrown at you and personal attacks. Imagine if Nintendo didn't share the same views as most people here? There'd be petitions left and right and people crying murder. It's how political people are today, everyone else is intolerant except them.

tkscz

Every piece of art that replicates aspects of our world is making either an implicit or explicit commentary on our world, and as such is political.

Comments like Reggie's are frustrating because they play into what I believe most gamers view on games to be. Games are not political while obeying/portraying societal norms.

For example: An implied Mario and Princess Peach romantic relationship is completely fine and non-political, however implying a Mario and another main character romantic relationship would be seen as being political by a lot of people.

This is frustrating because it means that if you're a person of colour or a gay person or a transexual person, then the chances of a meaningful portrayal in a meaningful Nintendo game are slim to none, simply because people view your mere presence as political, when the presence of Mario or Princess peach is just as political.

Nintendo don't and shouldn't make "political" games, right?

This doesn't just extend to inclusion of people, it also goes all the way into behaviour. When any behaviour outside of hetronormative terms is seen as being outside of the norm and so "political" it greatly restricts the type of things that can be seen in games.

Princess Peach wears a big fluffy pink dress, Mario wears a pair of overalls. The last sentence is a piece of commentary on the world even if you don't believe it to be so. It's politics by portrayal.

Nintendo can make whatever games they want, they owe no one anything, but saying that there's nothing political in their games is disingenuous. What they should really say is that they don't want to use their games to challenge mainstream culture and ideas. Which again is fine.

I just don't like Nintendo contributing to a video game culture that compares the portrayal of anything out of the norm to being preached to, or having politics shoved down their throat.

A lot of so called "non-political" games are political, you just don't see it as that because it upholds and supports parts of your world that you view to be normal.

But it's all opinion right? What one picks up from it politically/socially, someone else can see something different and someone might not see anything at all, or see it, and just not care or anything in between.

So why emphasize on it? I think when people say they don't want to see politics/social commentary in their games, they mean they don't want it emphasized or focused on, which I say is a good idea as it works for everyone. Those who want to see it/ talk about it can. Those who see it but don't care or don't see it don't have to.

For instance, those who choose to care about political ideas can have the argument is Peach being a princess who gets kidnap sexist, or is it done because she's a matriarch of an entire kingdom and that's the best way to take it over (knock over the king, win the game). Those who choose not to see it or don't care enough about it will choose just to play the game. Ignore the story, characters and lore for just the gameplay because the rest doesn't matter and doesn't have to matter, it was made up for fluff. Who cares what the creator thought when they made it.

So I like Reggie's answer, keeps it open for everyone to do their own thing.

As for that last sentence. It doesn't have to be considered "normal" for someone to ignore it. Could be that they see it as "this is fiction". Or that they don't agree with it, but can ignore it for the rest of the game, there can be many reasons why they don't see it, or don't care to talk about it.

Servbot24

Banned
This thread seems to be full of University/College students currently taking political science.

At least that's what it reminds me of.

"Everyone shut up, you're not worthy to have thoughts."

Come on man. Even if people say wrong things, sometimes you need to be wrong in order to be corrected.

If children enjoy it then it is childish fun. That doesn't mean adults can't also have fun with it. I just desire more than 'fun'.

What Nintendo game has any sort of strong philosophical message or output?

mother-3_large.png

The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Majora%27s_Mask_Box_Art.jpg

Xenoblade and Xenoblade X

To add to this, Wind Waker had a surprising emotional impact during the Ganon fight for me.

Also, Bayonetta, and you could even say Wonderful 101, if we were at a technological point to predict and pre-empt crime etc.
That being said, possibly Bayonetta aside, I wouldn't consider ANY of these games to be "political".

Not

Banned
The Inklings in Splatoon exist because humans went extinct due to rising sea levels. The scrolls in the single player campaign explicitly put the blame on human politicians creating policy counter to all scientific data. Can't imagine a more political statement than that.

That's great.

Still bugged that people making observations about the world around them becomes "political" to other people who don't like what they see.

Boo Reggie, Boo. How dare you not want politics in video games. How else will writing majors straight out of college be able to validate their own degrees, because they aren't good enough to be in Hollywood.
We all know video games that are about "fun" are what makes video games a low brow genre.

rudger

I must have missed something or some really crazy shit happens in the games I skipped that noone talks about.

It's a reference to a man saving a princess.

But people really pushing that tend to ignore Iwata giving speeches about there needing to be more female developers and games made by and for women...and then hiring lots of women, producing those games, selling them quite successfully to women...all before this was a hot topic in the community. But whatever. There's a princess! Nintendo is so behind the times!

I think that's the case here. The election of Trump was such a shocking, ridiculous and frightening thing that people feel it needs to be opposed whenever it can. People are using that to justify, well, all manner of acts, and they feel that simply being "non-political" is incredibly offensive when being partisan is the only way.

If that's what's going on here, I think that's a shame.

Should people stand up to injustices and social ills when they can? Yeah. If you're given a platform to reach a great deal of people, are you required to use it to give voice to that? Should we be requiring people fight every chance they get? Must your every action be political in motivation? I can't demand that of people. Commanding that someone take action against their will seems a dire place to find ourselves.

Dr.Social

Banned
Yes, because NeoGAF.

Spoilerz: the new Mario game won't be political

Spoilerz: It already is

Having Pauline be Mayor of New Donk City could itself be described as a political statement. A woman previously portrayed as a damsel in distress is now reimagined as a strong, successful leader. Something like that shouldn't be political per se but it can definitely be politicized. If questioned on it though, Nintendo's response would probably be something like "We love seeing strong female role models in our games" which, again, can be construed as a political statement on feminism but isn't necessarily a core focus of any of their games, no does it have to be.

ViolentP

Boo Reggie, Boo. How dare you not want politics in video games. How else will writing majors straight out of college be able to validate their own degrees, because they aren't good enough to be in Hollywood.

How else is he going to fracture his userbase and lose out on millions?

What commentary is it making? I'd be interesting in hearing your commentary, because Mario's actual design was pretty much the result of coincidences and tech limitations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario#Concept_and_creation

The initial concept may have started out as coincidences but as graphics get better and they've gotten the opportunity to add more details, they pitched the characters designs in very specific direction.

What if you are interpreting everything as political and it wasnt the artist's intent? What if an artist wants you to appreciate and enjoy the art for what it is without some meta social commentary everytime?

What this person said.

I firmly believe that an artist can not explicitly intend to make political commentary and still do so. I think it's pretty much impossible to make a piece of art that replicates our world, and not make that political in some way.

And I think that we the audience engage with that social commentary on some level. Even if it's not on an explicit level.

I'm not a "stick to sports" or "just make games and that's it" kind of guy. I think that telling people with a platform to stifle their collective voices and opinions is toxic in lieu of meaningful discussion for either side of an argument. I believe that mentality prevents people from learning to rationalize opposing viewpoints and that it most commonly is used to impede the progress of those that need the most help with speaking up, so I applaud creators, athletes, celebrities, and anybody with a platform choosing to speak up for the little guy or bringing about justice in a dire situation.

All that said, is anybody really surprised that this is the response from a company like Nintendo? I don't feel like their games often make social or political statements, unless something has flown over my head all these years. I'm not sure what other answer to expect from Nintendo.

Thud

Fire Emblem games have some political intrigue tied with its plot. The stories aren't that good, but it does contain some interesting points.

So a game that never released in the US in 2006, and one from 1998?
You must have missed my post about Splatoon.

The Inklings in Splatoon exist because humans went extinct due to rising sea levels. The scrolls in the single player campaign explicitly put the blame on human politicians creating policy counter to all scientific data. Can't imagine a more political statement than that.

DNAbro

We all know video games that are about "fun" are what makes video games a low brow genre.

This statement is lot dumber than you think.

Man, there are some bad posts in this thread. People not even trying to have a genuine argument.

So Reggie, what are your thoughts on Purge Day? "Making political statements is for other people to do, we want people to have fun"

What point do you think you're making? That it's a lot easier to make your point if you build a disengenuous strawman?

Wow, people are really getting heated over what is essentially a nothingburger. Fantastic job, everyone.

Tip: the way the author interprets their work and the way the end user interprets it are allowed to be different. Both can be very valid viewpoints, but there's no reason to automatically impose one party's interpretation on the other.

hiim_haz

Banned
This is an odd question to ask Nintendo to be honest.

I don't really look at their games as the ones having political commentary. There could be some exceptions I guess, like Fire Emblem.

BlackJace

That..wasn't the best answer.
Better answer: "We at Nintendo always strive to make our games inclusive and socially conscious" or something like that

farting

Banned
And that is why I will never really care much for Nintendo games. The don't even dare to have any sort of message other than childish fun.

this is a very stupid post. i'm glad nintendo is always putting fun first. playing a game that isn't fun is a chore.

e: like others have said, of course there are political statements in nintendo's games but it's in the background for the audience to read into if they want. politics is divisive, of course reggie isn't going to say something which might cost them sales as President of the Nintendo America but that doesn't make nintendo gamergate or whatever.

Super Mario Police Brutality

Super Mario Ethnic Cleansing

Mario + Rabbids vs Apartheid

BTA

I don't understand why he was even asked, but that's still such a lazy answer.

Even Zelda has offhand lines that are "political" so it's just weirdly dismissive.

Can somebody tell me, what language expressions are not a political statement?

I would have said staring and saying nothing, but even in today's political climate that has significance

A few moments later, the President said, “I need loyalty, I expect loyalty.” I didn’t move, speak, or change my facial expression in any way during the awkward silence that followed. We simply looked at each other in silence. The conversation then moved on, but he returned to the subject near the end of our dinner.

udivision

I don't think people have a real consensus on what "being political" means. I imagine Reggie means it in the sense of commenting on current issues

I'd go a step further and narrow down "being political" as "being political in a way I like."

People aren't really asking for more games that challenge their views, they want more games that confirm them.

Griss

Good. The last thing I want in my Nintendo games is to be reminded of real-world politics. Whimsical escapism and fun, please.

And to those saying "Everything is political!" Well, sure, to a certain extent you can argue that you can read into every part of a creative work and find the basis of political views. But that ignores what is really meant by this question and answer, which is:

"When the average person plays this game, will they see a political subtext to the game?"
In the case of Far Cry 5 or Papers Please, this is the case. From the very start it's clear that they are making political statements. In Super Mario 3D World, on the other hand, 99.9% of people would say the game is entirely apolitical.

Nev

Banned
First off, why are they asking Reggie about Far Cry 5?

Second, can people stop forcing other people to do whatever the hell they want? Nintendo want to make games about jumping plumbers and collectible monsters without focusing on a social/political message, just for fun, let them fucking do it?

Jesus.

Ogodei

Sad fact is that Reggie is likely GOP (just because a good 90% of people who make to the C-suite are), while Nintendo's leadership is probably big into the Liberal Democratic party of Japan (also right).

Though their games have done some progressive things over the years, they themselves are likely not.

Lijik

Cant wait to see this response plastered in every thread asking about playable female characters from Nintendo

Games are made by people, and the only two contexts people have for creating anything are the contexts of the natural world and that which is created by other people in the societies that exist (as far as I know, we haven't found other intelligent life yet or been invaded by said life with completely non-human worldviews).

Therefore, it is inevitable that social, cultural, and political subtexts will be inherently present in works with any hint of conflict, of which most games have a shitload of simply because most rely on win and lose conditions to function, even if the overt plots themselves don't concern themselves with political conflict or grandstanding.

Ex. Sonic is pro-environment and anti-totalitarianism even though there isn't a single plot that exists in the franchise that outright says these things. It's just a consequence of making the environment and animals things to protect against the main villain's attempts at total world domination.

It's really incredible that this argument has to be re-made every single time a thread like this appears on GAF. It's like trying to have a discussion about space where the first 20 pages of every thread are spent arguing whether the Sun is the center of the solar system.

What? What are the political lines in Zelda?

You could argue BotW has a commentary on the nature of automated drone warfare.

Could say Windwaker gave Ganondorf a story in how being marginalized by the world can turn you into the villain.

I'd say that's what I'm reading into it though. I wouldn't attribute an overtime political stance from the creators on that though. Certainly not on Nintendo as a body.

Doesn't make it any less meaningful, but I just won't claim Nintendo was intentionally making a statement with it.

Top Bottom