• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Relationships are hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

Hey GAF, I'm coming to you with some relationship problems.

I've been in a relationship with a great girl for the last nearly 3 years. She's so down to earth, humble, kind, fun loving, and funny. She has a warm soul and she's always exploring new hobbies and trying to better herself. She's smart and insightful, she always offers unique perspectives, and she's really understanding. I love her temperament and how she addresses things, and I love that she always stands up for herself and what's right. She's really a special person.

We met in college, but I left that school for one closer to home, so we spent 2 years apart. However, her family lives 40 minutes away from me, so we saw each other plenty during breaks and FaceTime'd frequently after classes.

The last two years were great. Sometimes a little hard, as life can get in the way, but whenever we are together things are wonderful. We really love each other.

This year, she graduated, and has been living at home. She was unemployed most of the year, and just started as a barista. She's felt some pressure to try applying to grad school, but she doesn't seem into it.

I've been juggling working part time in the city (a roughly 4 hour a day commute) and finishing school. So, time has been scarce during the week, but we've always made time for each other on weekends.

But this year has been different, for both of us. We've grown distant. The weeks feel longer, and it takes a lot to remind ourselves that the other is a real person, and not part of our imagination or just living on our phone. We talk almost every night, but it really doesn't feel like enough, for either of us.

Today I had a crummy day, feeling especially distant from her. So it came up, and we talked. We both feel the same way, that during the week we can feel love for each other, but it's really hard to say we're "in love" over the phone. When we're together, everything feels great and normal, and a lot of the time our grievances from the week are ignored because everything feels fine.

So we talked about how we feel. The distance being a big part of it, for both of us.

I've been thinking of moving out to shorten my commute to work and also to her, so I suggested I move to near her town, rather than in the city. I'm graduating in December, working full time, and making good money. She said she doesn't want to be the reason, and she would rather me save my money to pursue other passions (mainly, game dev, which I could do at home).

This kind of went in circles for awhile until we hung up. We're seeing each other Friday (though depending on whether I hear from her, I may go to see her tomorrow).

Talking reaffirmed to me just how important she is to me. I love her, and I love who I am when I am with her, and I really don't want to imagine her not being in my life. We've been long distance, even now being only 40 minutes away, for so long. I feel like if we don't give living close by a shot, then it'd be a shame to wonder "what if?". I would really love to be able to see her every day, and share our every day lives rather than live separately and come together on weekends. To me, it sounds like a dream come true.

Since we hung up, I haven't heard from her. It ended as well as it could've, I guess, but she said she wanted to be alone and think and go to bed.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice.

Okay, to you, this sounds like a dream come true, but I hope she truly feels the same way. Long distance relationships can be hard, but don't modify your life too much, especially when she might not feel as powerful about this move as you do.

Unless I'm reading something wrong.

jb1234

First off, congrats for sustaining a long distance relationship for two years. It's harder than hell to do. If a move would make it easier to sustain, improves your commute and there aren't any major downsides, you should go for it. At the very least, if things don't work out, at least your commute still won't suck.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Go for it man.

It's clear you love her a ton if she feels the same way about you (which I take she does) following your heart can not be looked down upon in books in this matter.

Whatever happens I wish you nothing but good vibes man. :)

mooooose

Okay, to you, this sounds like a dream come true, but I hope she truly feels the same way. Long distance relationships can be hard, but don't modify your life too much, especially when she might not feel as powerful about this move as you do.

Unless I'm reading something wrong.
Well, I'm not sure how she feels. She said it was a big thing to just drop, and that it felt rushed. It was a big statement for me to make in the midst of an emotional talk, but it's something I've been thinking about for a long time, and this cemented it for me. To be honest, I'm not sure she believes I will commit to it either, but I really have full intention to do so.

There aren't really any downsides. I'm gonna look for something without a lease, maybe just a basement or a studio. If it doesn't work out, I'm 40 minutes from home.

edit - Thanks everyone for reading this and commenting. It's been a really emotionally draining night, in what's been a loving, mellow, relationship and a really stressful year. She's a wonderful girl, and even though I know I'm lucky to have her, now I actually really really really FEEL it. It's been hard when the stressors of life get in the way to feel the passion, but I do. I hope she does too.

RevoDS

Follow your gut. You sound like you really want to give it a shot, so go for it.

However, before you do that, definitely have a long talk with her. The "don't do it for me, pursue X instead" is a red flag that she might not be as enthusiastic as you are about the prospect. Make sure to address any possible concerns regarding that and make sure you're on the same page.

Also try to keep your options open, a plan B in case things don't go as expected.

Kudos on surviving long distance. It's a hell of a tough thing, having lived the last 5 months in a long distance relationship, I can definitely see how the distance would affect your ability to see each other as close emotionally and forgetting that it's a person on the other end after 2 years. There are so many details essential to connecting with someone else, the little quirks, the smell, and physical presence that you tend to forget quicker than everything else...

mooooose

It's nerve wracking because I feel excited by this idea/decision, but I don't know how she feels. I don't know if she's going to wake up tomorrow and break up with me.

I'm sure she's scared of me making that kind of commitment because what if it doesn't work out, or what if her life takes her elsewhere and now I've moved for her, but I think to grow as a couple and resolve these issues, a substantial change has to be made, and I want to do it.

jb1234

It's nerve wracking because I feel excited by this idea/decision, but I don't know how she feels. I don't know if she's going to wake up tomorrow and break up with me.

I'm sure she's scared of me making that kind of commitment because what if it doesn't work out, or what if her life takes her elsewhere and now I've moved for her, but I think to grow as a couple and resolve these issues, a substantial change has to be made, and I want to do it.

You've made it sound like there's more benefits to you moving than just being closer to her. It would put you closer to family and friends too, right?

mooooose

You've made it sound like there's more benefits to you moving than just being closer to her. It would put you closer to family and friends too, right?
Yeah, there definitely are. I would be less than 40 minutes from one of my best friends, train ride from the other, and I would be closer to my dad and uncle. And much closer to work.

I would be moving to that area to be closer to her, but there are lots of benefits. If I don't move to nearby her area, I'm moving closer to the city regardless, because the commute to work is killing me.

Good on you for sticking through the long distance relationship. I was long term with my fiancee' for two years (3 hour drive), so I understand some of the issues that come with long distance relationships. However, we had a plan before she moved for grad school. We would get through the two years and then move in together.

My advice is to go with your heart. Yeah sometimes that's not always the best choice, but it sounds like you really love her and want to be with her. It does sound a little fishy that she isn't excited for you to move closer though. I would have thought that she would have happier to have to you closer to her.

Let me give you another piece of advice. I transferred colleges for a girlfriend when I was 20 because we would have been far apart. She ended up dumping me and I felt like an idiot for moving for a girl. However, two years later I met my future wife in the same city. If I never moved, I would have never met her. Even though it seemed like a terrible idea at the time, things worked out for me in the end. Life is kinda weird like that sometimes.

If it's not a crazy situation moving closer, ie, going to bankrupt you forever etc, I would argue that you should do what it takes to make it work. Of course only you know how she feels about you too, but don't make a decision that you'll back on in ten years asking yourself, "if only we were closer..."

At the same time there are never guarantees that anything will work. But you'll still find yourself asking that same question down the line I think.

mooooose

Let me give you another piece of advice. I transferred colleges for a girlfriend when I was 20 because we would have been far apart. She ended up dumping me and I felt like an idiot for moving for a girl. However, two years later I met my future wife in the same city. If I never moved, I would have never met her. Even though it seemed like a terrible idea at the time, things worked out for me in the end. Life is kinda weird like that sometimes.
Man, I did the same thing. I moved for a girl who was a terrible girlfriend, and it ended horribly. I was a bad boyfriend and we weren't compatible at all, and she had a lot of issues too. It was a desperate move because I didn't want to be alone and lose her.

If there's any apprehension about moving closer to my girlfriend, it's because I still wear those scars.

PSYGN

I think moving closer to her would be the best thing to do. For one, it shows her that you care and are serious enough about the relationship to take that kind of action, and if worse comes to worst it will show that she was not as committed to the relationship as you thought she was. Better find out now either way and think of it as a win-win (relationship strengthened vs time wasted) instead of letting things dwindle especially now that you've brought it up and is realized between you two.

Man, I did the same thing. I moved for a girl who was a terrible girlfriend, and it ended horribly. I was a bad boyfriend and we weren't compatible at all, and she had a lot of issues too. It was a desperate move because I didn't want to be alone and lose her.

If there's any apprehension about moving closer to my girlfriend, it's because I still wear those scars.

At least you know what you may have done wrong as a bad boyfriend. Hell, I learned a lot about myself after some terrible break ups. I was a really jealous and controlling boyfriend, so I had to learn how to fix that. You can learn from your past relationship mistakes and apply them here. I know it's cliche, but you do only live once. A lot of people would kill to have someone to love and be with for the rest of their lives.

mooooose

Yeah... I don't really regret that, because it got me where I am today. In fact, following my ex to that college allowed me to meet my current girlfriend.

If it's not a crazy situation moving closer, ie, going to bankrupt you forever etc, I would argue that you should do what it takes to make it work. Of course only you know how she feels about you too, but don't make a decision that you'll back on in ten years asking yourself, "if only we were closer..."

At the same time there are never guarantees that anything will work. But you'll still find yourself asking that same question down the line I think.

This.

You're in a "long-distance relationship" but can see each other during the weekend? That's like easy mode. I was in a long-distance relationship with my husband for SIX years, and we saw each other only 2-3 times a year as we lived in different countries. While I agree a long-distance relationship is not for everyone, it's possible to be away from each other and still feel close.

People can feel distant to one another even if they lived together. "Being close" doesn't necessarily mean having to be beside each other 24/7. I'm wondering if the two of you have some other underlying issues you need to work on? Like missing something exciting in your relationship or whatever.

mooooose

People can feel distant to one another even if they lived together. "Being close" doesn't necessarily mean having to be beside each other 24/7. I'm wondering if the two of you have some other underlying issues you need to work on? Like missing something exciting in your relationship or whatever.
I mean, this is definitely part of it. There isn't much exciting to our every days and we haven't been connecting mostly because the weekday grind gets to us. I think we could do more to have real conversations daily, but it can be hard when you're pressed for time.

Cutting down my commute in half, plus being able to see her in person, would definitely help in giving me more time with her.

But you're right in that there is probably more than just this, and I think communicating more would only help, if she's hopefully still willing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom