• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy (Max Payne, Alan Wake, Quantum Break) developing CrossFire 2's storymode [Up]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:

Remedy said:
Smilegate & Remedy Entertainment announce partnership

Remedy Entertainment is proud to announce a partnership with the leading Korean game company Smilegate known for its highly successful CROSSFIRE franchise.

At the CROSSFIRE Vision Summit held in Shanghai during the China Joy 2016 conference, Smilegate revealed that Remedy is responsible for developing the story mode for the upcoming CROSSFIRE 2.

The whole team here at Remedy is incredibly excited to be an key partner in developing the future of the CROSSFIRE franchise. Smilegate specifically chose Remedy to bring our unique blend of storytelling, memorable characters and inventive gameplay to CROSSFIRE’s global audience.

We have been developing this project for a while and couldn’t be more excited to show you what we’re working on, so stay tuned for more details later down the line.

http://www.remedygames.com/smilegate-remedy-entertainment-announce-partnership/

remedylolsheubv.png

I know this is a bit leftfield, but hey, Remedy started out by making an top down racing game :)

If you are a fan of us here at Remedy, you should take this as great news. Smilegate has massive plans for Crossfire 2 and handpicked Remedy as the partner to create a great cinematic, storymode. We will bring everything you expect from Remedy: great story and characters.

----

For those who missed out, CrossFire is an f2p shooter that's very popular in China and makes around $1 billion each year. The series is made by Smilegate, a Korean development first, though they're now working with Remedy on the sequel.

The9 recently paid $500 million for publishing rights for the sequel: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146002

CrossFire 2 is rumored to be developed on Unreal Engine 3 with a 50/50 split between PvP and PvE content (I think that's things like horde mode as opposed to a campaign but am not certain).

Segment Next said:
CrossFire is one of the highly regarded multiplayer shooter of the last generation consoles. Fans have been waiting for the sequel to be announced for quite some time. Well the wait is over as Smilegate has announced CrossFire 2 along with the help of Remedy Entertainment.

South Korean MMO developer Smilegate announced CrossFire 2 at ChinaJoy 2016. The company confirmed that CrossFire 2 is in development in collaboration with Max Payne and Alan Wake developer, Remedy Entertainment.
Source: http://segmentnext.com/2016/07/27/smilegate-announce-crossfire-2-remedy/

Here's a picture of the first game to give you an idea of what it's like:

cross-fire-allydwsjo.jpg

KORNdoggy

"CrossFire is one of the highly regarded multiplayer shooter of the last generation consoles."

it was on consoles? i don't remember that?

it looks like what it is though, a counterstrike rip off. seems like such a huge departure for remedy too. i guess they were paid a lot.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Are we sure this is a screenshot from a last gen console?
Cus I'm not too sure there were F2P online shooters on the Wii.

_machine

I'm pretty certain that's a screenshot from the PC version, which keep in mind was first released in 2007 and was always aimed to support the lowest common denominator machines in Asia (China especially still has a decent Windows XP market share when it comes to F2P PC games). Sounds like a good deal for Remedy as if it goes well it's sure to have a +5 live operations shelf life (CrossFire the original game has been popular for almost ten years now) and that kind of security can be very hard to come by for a developer like Remedy.

TheKeyPit

Banned
"CrossFire is one of the highly regarded multiplayer shooter of the last generation consoles."

it was on consoles? i don't remember that?

it looks like what it is though, a counterstrike rip off. seems like such a huge departure for remedy too. i guess they were paid a lot.

If someone paid 500 million for publishing rights, they surely can pump out a lof of cash for development.

im_dany

Is this the game plagued by cheaters? I've never played it (I remember playing AVA when I was broke lol) but I'm pretty sure this was the game played by some friends but they were always complaining about aimbots/wallhacks.

Keasar

I get the feeling Chinese companies are just shotgun blasting the west with money and sees what sticks. Wasn't there news of a Chinese chicken farm company buying some western game developer recently?

Obsidian is making a F2P World of Tanks-esque game.
Remedy is now making a F2P Counter Strike-esque game.
Looking forward when Double Fine gets ordered to make a F2P Gears of War-esque game. :p

It is no surprise though why a game like Crossfire is huge though, it seems to be able to run on any device with anything remotely close to a GPU, it was not that long ago China lifted its ban on consoles from the west and I can't imagine that a large portion of the Chinese population have access or can afford higher end PCs.

Still, if it keeps Remedy afloat I am fine with it, so long as they get to make a Mona Sax spin-off game later.

Well it's good money for them at least. They are working on another game which I'm sure is their more traditional type of game so I wouldn't worry too much. Nothing wrong with diversity.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get the feeling Chinese companies are just shotgun blasting the west with money and sees what sticks. Wasn't there news of a Chinese chicken farm company buying some western game developer recently?

Obsidian is making a F2P World of Tanks-esque game.
Remedy is now making a F2P Counter Strike-esque game.
Looking forward when Double Fine gets ordered to make a F2P Gears of War-esque game. :p

It is no surprise though why a game like Crossfire is huge though, it seems to be able to run on any device with anything remotely close to a GPU, it was not that long ago China lifted its ban on consoles from the west and I can't imagine that a large portion of the Chinese population have access or can afford higher end PCs.

Still, if it keeps Remedy afloat I am fine with it, so long as they get to make a Mona Sax spin-off game later.
Smilebit is Korean. It's just being published by a Chinese company.

Maxey

Makes me a bit sad they have to do that in order to keep afloat but at least I hope they give them enough space to make an awesome shooter. I wonder if it even gets released in the west.

OBias

You're covered. There will be a TV show in Crossfire2 which will be called Alan Break 1.5.

Slight correction: it's originally Belorusian in fact as it was founded in Minsk =)

I'm talking about Armored Warfare, which is owned by Mail.Ru Group and developed by Obsidian. As far as I know, Mail.Ru Group is a Russian company. World of Tanks itself is Belorusian, yes.

Falchion

Well hopefully too much of their studio won't be devoted to this so they can make their next adventure game.

soultron

Banned
Oh jeez, I remember trying this game. It looks like CS but I can't remember it playing anything like it. There was no recoil penalties and people did these hilarious grenade spam tricks, IIRC.

It was bonkers. I wonder if CF2 will appeal to Western+Euro audiences?

Interesting to see Remedy make this kind of move because it sounds smart, financially. The studio probably needs an alternate revenue stream to pad development of AAA games like QB -- but that's assuming they want to stay that course in the first place.

I'm sure they will aim it at the CSGO crowd and put MT hooks that same audience already knows: crates, keys, ultra rare cosmetics.

Shredderi

Man's gotta eat. Especially now that QB didn't set the world on fire neither critically or (unless I heard wrong) commercially. I'd imagine that Microsoft is done funding another expensive game from them for now. They really haven't made a big hit since MP2. They really need to bring something new and fantastic to the moment-to-moment gameplay again.

Top Bottom