• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy's "Control" has sold over 3 million copies.

From the financial report,
https://xboxsquad.fr/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/IMG_20230317_041209-1024x624.jpg
IMG_20230317_041209-1024x624.jpg

Looks like Control ended up being a pretty big success for Remedy relative to their catalog. A sequel is already coming out supposedly and the game is still selling great.

I still would prefer if they went back to a Max Payne (pre-3_ but have been enjoying the quality of their recent releases as well. it seems the initial investment for control was @5 million Euro only. The game itself generated more than 92 million Euro. Looking good.

Rockman33

Could be wrong but I thought the original budget was around 30 million? Which is still very low these days.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Similar situation as Returnal. Armchair financial analyst tend to focus on sales# without considering the other side of the equation, i.e. minimal budget. These games that are a critical success and efficiently produced should be championed much more strongly in the boardroom.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
doesnt seem that much
Thats because not all games cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make, or need to make hundreds of millions to turn a profit.

ND games were all $20 million max in the PS3 gen. Costs have increased since but not by hundreds of millions. Games are still relatively cheap to make compared to big budget movies.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's one of worst remedy games. I really did not enjoy it.
Bland character, bland story, bland environments, sponge action, poor controls on console.
yes, very good graphics and destruction. That's it.... not even HDR

Alan Wake remains their only good semi modern game. And shame remaster is kinda botched and also dont have HDR

Bland character, bland story, bland environments, sponge action, poor controls on console.

Alan Wake remains their only good semi modern game. And shame remaster is kinda botched and also dont have HDR

Agreed, could not get into the game despite trying multiple times I always gave up

Just drab, boring, and uninteresting

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Wasn’t a big fan of the game, but they run a pretty lean and efficient ship

Glad they were able to “control” costs and deliver a financially successful game

No doubt GoW cost 4x Control
That's the budget for Control 2. The original game cost just under $30M to make.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/c... with gamesindustry,of just under $30 million.

This is another nail in the coffin for your $200M estimate. So far, no game comes close to your supposed budget, even considering big AAA open-world ones like Forspoken or HFW. Yet we're supposed to believe that GOWR developed in 4.5 years with no new engine and a boatload of reused assets cost $200M?

X for doubt.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Amen, buddy. I had to abandon the game on PS5 due to the awful controls.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I bought at least 2 of them yay.

One of my favorite games of the PS4/XBO gen. Really loved the sense of mystery and exploration.

The notes in Control tell a better story than most retail games.

Last edited:
That's the budget for Control 2. The original game cost just under $30M to make.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/control-was-developed-with-a-modest-30-million-bud/1100-6471937/#:~:text=In an interview with gamesindustry,of just under $30 million.

This is another nail in the coffin for your $200M estimate. So far, no game comes close to your supposed budget, even considering big AAA open-world ones like Forspoken or HFW. Yet we're supposed to believe that GOWR developed in 4.5 years with no new engine and a boatload of reused assets cost $200M?

X for doubt.

Uh, it says in the OP the first Control cost 25 million.

Quantum Break was decent enough.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/remedys-control-has-sold-over-3-million-copies.1654309/

X for doubt.
RDR2 is probably a $200-$250 million game. But thats 3,000 Rockstar devs split across 7 studios working for 5 years on one game. Rockstar went from making Max Payne 3, GTA5, Red Dead 1, and other smaller games to making just one game last gen. If it costs $250 million to run 7 studios over the course of 5 years then clearly Max Payne 3, GTA5, RDR1 did not cost $250 million each.

I remember how Sony cancelled Stig's new IP, fired him, and laid off almost 50 devs from a 250 man SSM studio back in 2014. Barlog then took over and made GOW in 4 years with just 200 employees. That same studio made GOW3 in 3 years with $44 million. Have costs increased? yes. But 5x since 2010? nah. They have become a bigger studio since with 400 employees but they are also working on two different games with Cory working on his own project since 2018 likely working with a small team of 50 people. That leaves 350 devs for Ragnorak over the course of 4.5 years. Remedy has 360 devs.

kiphalfton

Yeah.

Tried to play it, but only made it through a couple hours. I think the mission structure threw me off and it seemed like the devs relied way too heavily on text logs and other stupid shit like that.

I enjoyed the gameplay but barely remember the story. I tuned out because it didn't pull me in. All I remember is its something about the main character and her brother.

I bought at least 2 of them yay.

One of my favorite games of the PS4/XBO gen. Really loved the sense of mystery and exploration.

The notes in Control tell a better story than most retail games.
Aye ditto. I'm a massive X-Files and Twin Peaks fan and this game is like a wet dream if you're into that sorta thing. Also think it's Remedy's best playing game hands down. Alan Wake was super interesting but had borderline terrible gameplay. I felt like Control was them going back to the drawing board and coming up with the complete opposite, killer level design and really fun combat.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Aye ditto. I'm a massive X-Files and Twin Peaks fan and this game is like a wet dream if you're into that sorta thing. Also think it's Remedy's best playing game hands down. Alan Wake was super interesting but had borderline terrible gameplay. I felt like Control was them going back to the drawing board and coming up with the complete opposite, killer level design and really fun combat.

We need more games like that. One of my favorite games of all time. Also it's creepy as fuck as that hiss kinda unsettle me.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

K2D

Banned
Going by this thread, I think remedy should do some serious marked research if they think they can knock it out of the park with a sequel. Unless they're sitting on something truly transformative..

Bought and played it myself for a couple of bucks, but I couldn't force myself to play more than 3-4 hours.

Rockman33

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/control-was-developed-with-a-modest-30-million-bud/1100-6471937/#:~:text=In an interview with gamesindustry,of just under $30 million.

X for doubt.
30 x 4 is 120million. That seems pretty accurate to how much GOWR probably cost.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Have you played Returnal? Talk about surreal and unsettling.

Some of my favorite shit in Control was the motel one could enter as a sort of "comfort zone" the Hiss had created for humans in transition. It's like 110% David Lynch, I loved it.

Yeah I think I was among the first to beat the game day one of release on GAF and 50's worldwide despite not rushing it by exploring and reading, lol. Wonderful game but liked Control a lot more.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

A sign of what solid management with realistic costs/return expectations can do for you. Square needs lessons.

Build software that doesn't need to be the best selling thing going to turn a profit, and then if it does happen to become the best selling thing going, profit more. At least this is an example that games with this scope/style still have a way forward.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member

As much as I loved AW, I can't imagine myself putting 60+ hours into it as I did with Control + DLC, between Remedy and Asobo I'm starting to think I just don't dislike very cinematic games, but I just don't feel American storytelling that much.

I'm happy the game was a success, it's an example of how actually carry a project like that finally, make a good product at a reasonable budget and it will be very profitable.

HL3.exe

Good, more of these AA games please. Love Remedy. I liked this one ok. Wasn't the biggest. But love the more experimental vibes and characters it was going for you mostly don't see in AAA nowadays.

The Alien

Banned
Playing it now. Finished the story. Cleaning up some spare missions, etc.

Really digging it. Gameplay and controls are great. Excited for a sequel.

Great to see that not everything has to be a billion dollar game to be "successful". We need more games in between 'indies' and those billion dollar games.

3liteDragon

Yet we're supposed to believe that GOWR developed in 4.5 years with no new engine and a boatload of reused assets cost $200M?
Pretty sure the budget for Ragnarök was listed in Microsoft‘s recent filing with the CMA but it was blacked out, definitely looked like a 2-digit number to me.

Shane89

Pretty sure this include free downloads from PASS/ PLUS, i can't explain if not, the game is a complete garbage :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

X for doubt.

Control 2 costing 100m definitely means GoWR cost double that games projected budget

Top Bottom