• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember the 80s MASK cartoon and toy series?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Of course we can't begin without that awesome 80s cartoon intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

mask.jpg

If you've never seen the show before, that intro should tell you everything you need to know about the show at least; from the wireframe looking mountains, to the fuel station that for whatever reason swaps out gun turrets, to the token black dude and chick, the kid sidekick and his bumbling pet-friend.

Rumor is that Hasbro's planning on bringing it back but their latest Overview slides don't feature the series' logo
http://www.slideshare.net/AlexiaLev...ttp://newsroom.hasbro.com/mediakit/index.cfm/

It did a few months ago however
http://geekculture.co/hasbro-is-bringing-mask-back/

Either way how were the toys? I gotta say I've suddenly gotten an interest in at least the Helicopter turning into a Jet just for the friggin' novelty of it.

That truck ain't bad too.

danowat

Banned
Either way how were the toys? I gotta say I've suddenly gotten an interest in at least the Helicopter turning into a Jet just for the friggin' novelty of it.

That truck ain't bad too.

I used to love em, MASK was my jam when I was a kid!

otapnam

I got the truck toy for a birthday present as a kid. One of my fondest memories from my preschool years.

I have no idea what happened to it :(

Chorazin

The toys were amazing, second only to Transformers in my nostalgia. They transformed, usually had cool gimmick moving parts, and they came with an action figure with a sweet helmet! I really liked how they usually looked pretty realistic before they changed.

Tobor

The toys were totally radical. I had the helicopter, the truck, and a bunch of other stuff.

The car with the gull wing doors that turned into actual gull wings was my favorite. Loved that thing.

bryehn

Loved the show, had most of the toys (they were solid and bad-ass!). Pure 80's action awesomeness all-around.

I remember I got the VENOM chopper plane for my 9th birthday and the aunt that bought it for me blew my mind by telling me I was in my 10th year of life.

nullref

It was a pretty cool toy line. I had a couple – only the smallest ones, as my parents would never spring for the really pricey stuff – and some friends had a few others. I haven't watched the show since I was a kid, but I'd imagine that the toys and the cartoon intro were the cool parts, as is traditional for '80s toy line cartoons.

Probably liked Starcom a little more, though.

tuffy

I remember the show and had a few of the toys, like the Rhino and Jackhammer. They were basically a combination of G.I. Joe-style figures and Transformers-style vehicles. The larger vehicles were packed with neat gimmicks, like the Rhino's spring-loaded front ram or the Jackhammer's front machine guns. I suppose since everything else from the 80s is coming back, they might as well bring MASK back too.

Alx

Even as a kid I thought the toys had a lazy design...

5407967230_408ed9ce70.jpg

A car with doors turning into wings ? Come on, I made better transforming vehicles out of Lego !
I did like the show though, mostly for the "Mission : Impossible" sequence where the big guy chooses his team and plays their file on his computer.

Tobor

Even as a kid I thought the toys had a lazy design...

5407967230_408ed9ce70.jpg

A car with doors becoming wings ? Come on, I made better transforming vehicles out of Lego !
I did like the show though, mostly for the "Mission : Impossible" sequence where the big guy chooses his team and plays their file on his computer.

I loved it because it made sense! The doors are called gull wing doors! They should be wings! As a kid, whenever I saw a real car with gull wing doors I would imagine it taking off into the air.

I remember the show and had a few of the toys, like the Rhino and Jackhammer. They were basically a combination of G.I. Joe-style figures and Transformers-style vehicles. The larger vehicles were packed with neat gimmicks, like the Rhino's spring-loaded front ram or the Jackhammer's front machine guns. I suppose since everything else from the 80s is coming back, they might as well bring MASK back too.

I loved my Jackhammer, it was one of my main "soliders" in my army of bad guys.
I can't remember if my brother had any of the other vehicles, but I certainly remember taking mine to my friend's house to play with the ones he had.

Oh man do i ever! i still have a big VHS box set of several episodes (i vividly remember the one at the Inca temples)
i had the motorcycle/helicopter, the Jeep boat, a racecar, and a dune buggy thing i vaguely remember - it was red and the wings/fenders came out to the sides and i think it split into two vehicles

Love that show and Starcomm which someone has also mentioned

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
MASK was my favorite toy line as a kid. I had tons of MASK toys. I greatly regret not taking better care of them now that I'm older.

If these come back, and they're based on the vehicles from the series, and basically better versions of them? I'll buy every single one.

As mentioned by others, I loved that damn helicopter. I think I only had that and the car; I was GI Joe all the way, MASK was the more ghetto option. (iirc, MASK was the go-bots to Joes Transformers, right?)

condorboxfronus.jpg

massoluk

Banned
Not so secret best toys after Transforming robots. GI Joe toys are fucking boring, they are are just glorified dolls. Not M.A.S.K., no sir.

I have all the series on DVD. Don't think I ever had any of the toys, I always like the Hot Wheels or whatever that had the doors opening up vertically (Gull-wing door?). Always said they could fly like the car in M.A.S.K.

Daffy Duck

Hell, yes, I loved MASK.

Had Boulder Hill and a load of other toys too.

I had Rhino, Thunderhawk, Condor, Bulldog, Switchblade & Raven as well as a few smaller motorbike type ones as well I can't seem to find the names of through Google images, basically I loved the toys. Most of them ended up broken though. :(

I really wanted Hurricane & Razorback.

Glowsquid

Did some Googlin' and found this awesome page with pics of every toy on it:

http://www.albertpenello.com/mask/toys.html

Maaaaan I wish I still had most of these.

For some reason it amuses me an exec of Microsoft's xbox division has a MASK fansite.

In the 90's, there was a line with a similar premise (VOR-Tech) and Kenner did the toyline, recycling many of the molds from MASK. But the show is insanely obscure - there's NO clips of it online beside the intro. I hope it's one of those things that get unearthed eventually.

Crispy75

Yep, solid toys :) I had the truck and the helicopter. I still have the fat missile from the truck actually - knocking around in a kitchen drawer :D

What was that one where the heroes had form-fitting suits of armour that you could attach vehicle/weapon parts to with pegs? There was a flying one and a motorbike one I remember that much.

EDIT: Answered in the posts above me LOL

Savitar

I had a lot of the toys growing up, loved them. My favorite was Miles Mayhems helicopter/plane. Was so awesome. My friend had the gas station base. And I actually managed to get the main hero and his car in my parents drawer before christmas. That sneaky Santa...

tuffy

As mentioned by others, I loved that damn helicopter. I think I only had that and the car; I was GI Joe all the way, MASK was the more ghetto option. (iirc, MASK was the go-bots to Joes Transformers, right?)
That can't be right. MASK came three years later than G.I. Joe and its transforming vehicles were a lot more complicated. It wasn't really the cheaper alternative like the Go Bots were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom