• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neki

Void Insanity said:
We really need a new topic for all this human pony crap. Give the Humanies their own community, leave this one alone.
lol. They're still part of the community, don't be so hateful to human pony fans. Once they realize the folly of their ways, all order will be restored.

Nishastra

Banned
Void Insanity said:
We really need a new topic for all this human pony crap. Give the Humanies their own community, leave this one alone.
Yep, segregation and intolerance are the marks of friendship.

Ellis Kim said:
I would like a straight answer, if that's fine. PM me, if you must. Is this a case of simply differing opinion, or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?
I don't think so. Some people just went into OreImo with their minds already made up on what it was all about.

Anyway, yes, watch the "finale"... and the three episodes that come after it, as the real end is much better :p

Ryaaan14 said:
Ok so I finally gave in and started watching the first ep. Halfway in, and I'm on the fence. Is there a sweet spot where this picks up?
My take is that, as much of the show's charm is character-based humor, it'll take a bit of time to get going in any case. I think you're best off going for the three main 6 character development episodes- 1, 2, and 3- and watching a fourth based on the character you liked most (Dragonshy for Fluttershy, Suited for Success for Rarity, Sonic Rainboom for Rainbow Dash, etc). If you're still on the fence by then, you probably won't like the show.

It's usually a slow burn in any case. For me, after watching the pilots I was satisfied that it wasn't the usual kids' drek but didn't see where the love came from. It didn't fully click until I got insomnia one night and watched a few more out of boredom.

EDIT: Looks like I'm a bit late to the party, heh. Glad you're enjoying the show. I'm also curious how the show would have turned out if the NMM arc had taken up the whole season, as was the original plan, but what we got was pretty awesome, so it's hard to complain.

The Fox vid makes me wish I had ponies back when I was experimenting wIth hallucinogens.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ellis Kim said:
As long as we avoid messed up fan art and have the thread focus on the fighting game it should be fine.

You know, I tried saying no to human fanart in this thread when it was OT...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
ruby_onix said:
If he asks for some sort of explanation, just show him Night of Pony. He doesn't need to know that you actually like MLP.

I made him watch Swarm of the Century (he's a big Trekkie), Night of Pony, and Ponycraft 2.

Again, time will tell if I will live this down. We were both pretty drunk.

Ellis Kim said:
As long as we avoid messed up fan art and have the thread focus on the fighting game it should be fine.
What about human ponies spawned from the odd color palette choices?
AMv9C.png

Ellis Kim

Banned
Slamtastic said:
Worse than Over A Barrel?
It was a low, but still represented the cast well enough. I find the pilot disingenuous in representing the series as a whole (THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP AND MAGIC WILL CONQUER ALL), and the Owl episode showed a side of Spike that is entirely fabricated--his behavior was completely at odds with how he is in the series.

Ellis Kim

Banned
@Captain Fish: By messed up fan art, I mean eroticization and bad art period. Stuff like what you posted above is fine IMO. Humanizing is a fairly natural step in fanart, but shitty anthromorphic ponies (i.e. MLP Vietnam drawings I was shown last night in tinychat) are absolute garbage, and are never meant to see the light of day on this thread.

That's my stance.

The moment that someone pulls out that catgirl-to-cat face transition jpg, you'll know that you're already too deep in.

edit: Cheerilee? ...Who?

Ellis Kim said:
The moment that someone pulls out that catgirl-to-cat face transition jpg, you'll know that you're already too deep in.

You mean this? If people keep up this human pony crap someone needs to make one for it.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Ookami-kun said:
eBay price gouging in 3... 2... 1...

Void Insanity said:
You mean this? If people keep up this human pony crap someone needs to make one for it.
Ellis Kim said:
Why would you do that? Do you WANT me to leave PonyGAF? Take that down, or I'm out.

Dead serious.
Relax, take it easy. People, for the most part, have had both good sense and tolerance for the last few thousands of posts. I'd like to think that we can reach some kind of common ground that neither alienates people nor deprives others of their slightly mischievous fun, don't you think?

Neki

Void Insanity said:
The hate is strong within you. You need to simmer down and let people apperciate their fan-art. :p

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Ryaaan14 said:
I don't hold the expertise as you guys by any means, but based on my experience tonight this whole Brony thing makes sense.

This show simply has good fucking writing/voice acting/animation. And we enjoy that just as anyone should. Whoever is pulling the strings on this show has obviously either intentionally or unintentionally gone far beyond their target audience.

If all the haters actually took a second to watch the show they would sympathize (I questioned all this at one point as well)
I think the hate and mocking of the anti-pony crowd and the fierceness of the fandom are two opposite things that are currently locked in a mutual feeding cycle, and this is something that goes all the way back to the fandom's origins in 4chan. Both of these stances were born, in my opinion, from cognitive dissonance around the fact that this show is directed primarily at young girls. Some decided to embrace that dissonance, while others that it is something to be feared, hated and ridiculed.

What can break this cycle? Well, maybe mainstream attention will prove to be a factor. Other than that, it's just a question of who will tire first.

Neki

You know it's funny, the reason I got interested in this show was because I saw the haters gonna hate gif on the first page and was wondering where it was from. That, and the other one of Rainbow Dash walking upside down, also a haters gonna hate gif, lol. The actual incident occured when pandaman posted the picture, and one of the mods changed the title. I clicked in and saw non-stop trolling, and decided that PonyGAF didn't deserve such treatment, so I opened my mind to watching one episode. Then two, then the rest is history.

I guess you could say that the reason I love ponies is because of pandaman's questionable taste in fan art. pandaman is both a sinner and a saint in my heart. :D

Ultimoo said:
You know it's funny, the reason I got interested in this show was because I saw the haters gonna hate gif on the first page and was wondering where it was from. That, and the other one of Rainbow Dash walking upside down, also a haters gonna hate gif, lol. The actual incident occured when pandaman posted the picture, and one of the mods changed the title. I clicked in and saw non-stop trolling, and decided that PonyGAF didn't deserve such treatment, so I opened my mind to watching one episode. Then two, then the rest is history.

I guess you could say that the reason I love ponies is because of pandaman's questionable taste in fan art. pandaman is both a sinner and a saint in my heart. :D
Huh, surprisingly, I don't have the Rainbow Dash one ready to post at a moment's notice.

Oh, I think I've been waiting on an HD version. Yea, that's got to be it. Someone needs to remake it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Ultimoo said:

Indeed. The original blow-up is what kept the MLP thread on the front page of the OT for a week or so, during which I kept checking in regularly just to see the latest still or .gif of the show.

Panda is, and has always been, the hero this thread deserves, just not always the one we need right now.

Void Insanity said:
I don't see a pony, I see an anime lesbian.
The fact that you see an anime anything in those pictures is telling.

You have go to be the most unfriendshipestlyness addition to the thread we've had in awhile.

3c4792a9278504.jpg

"Urg, what the fuck are you talking about?! I'm talking about ponies and friendship, and you're all talking about some stupid Japanese shit I don't give a FUCK about! "

I for one like the Sailor Moon one, plus a lot of the ones posted in the past. So uh, keep the human ponies coming.

How About No said:
"Urg, what the fuck are you talking about?! I'm talking about ponies and friendship, and you're all talking about some stupid Japanese shit I don't give a FUCK about! "
*Breaks down and cries*

Now i'm going to have Awesome series quotes stuck in my head for the rest of the day, Frizzle!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Mane Cast pretty much done, from now on I will post an update whenever a new Parade visitor has arrived ;)

This is way more fun than expected!

eZade.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Bufbaf said:
Mane Cast pretty much done, from now on I will post an update whenever a new Parade visitor has arrived ;)

This is way more fun than expected!

eZade.png

Amazing work man, the coloring and shading look great.

I can't wait to see the finished product :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom